Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Problem description: My computer won't boot up. When trying to boot normally, it gets to the Windows logo and just sits and loads forever; when it tries to boot into Automatic Repair Mode or off of a recovery disk, it goes from the Windows logo to a blank screen. It has been having problems booting up on the first try for a couple months now, but I was hoping it would hold out until the new AMD chips come out in February. I suspect this is either the mobo or the CPU biting it, but would love other ideas that could get me through the next month when I can loot the SSDs and video card (for my parents' new rig) and take the rest behind the woodshed and give it the Ol' Yeller treatment.

Attempted fixes: Ran sfc /scannow and memtest64 when this first started becoming a problem, both came up clean. Also cleaned out the case with air when it first became a problem, that didn't seem to help. Tried booting from a Windows recovery disk, and get exactly the same issue (Windows logo -> blank screen). Checked the BIOS, it shows the voltage and temperature on the CPU within normal ranges, though the fan speed is a little low (~600RPMish).

Recent changes: I've added a pair of JBL speakers and a new monitor in the last few months, but unplugged both of them and still get the same issues.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:

Purchased August 2011:

Mobo: ASUS Pro LG 1155
Processor: Intel Sandy Bridge i7-2600K 3.4Ghz quad-core
Processor Heat Sink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Storage Drive: Samsung Spinpoint 7200RPM 1TB HDD
Power Supply: Corsair TX750 750W power supply
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Purchased June 2013:

Storage Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Purchased January 2015:

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970

Purchased August 2015:

RAM: 16GB (2x8GB) Crucial Ballistics

Purchased June 2016:

Boot drive: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna try a memtest bootloader this evening, see if it comes up with any errors in the RAM (if it will load).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

When I've had symptoms like that it's generally been a drive issue, if your CPU was going you probably wouldn't even POST

try to unplug all the drives except your OS and see what happens, it might be that platter drive is dying, or hell one of the SSDs could be bad.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MF_James posted:

When I've had symptoms like that it's generally been a drive issue, if your CPU was going you probably wouldn't even POST

try to unplug all the drives except your OS and see what happens, it might be that platter drive is dying, or hell one of the SSDs could be bad.

I get the same error when trying to boot to a USB recovery disk, and the BIOS is seeing all of the drives; would it still be refusing to boot that far if it were a drive error to a drive it wasn't trying to boot to?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanatosian posted:

I get the same error when trying to boot to a USB recovery disk, and the BIOS is seeing all of the drives; would it still be refusing to boot that far if it were a drive error to a drive it wasn't trying to boot to?

Yeah if it's trying to read from the drive, but can't, it can cause all sorts of fun issues. Even if it's not the OS drive, the OS is still going to attempt to read meta data and poo poo so it can be cool and tell you what you have there and load any programs etc off of it that are set to startup and other such stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Memtest boot check came out completely clean.

Reseating the drives totally got it to boot, though. The storage drive is no longer showing up in Windows, and the 840 Pro shows up but will load forever without actually letting me see it (which is weird, because it will totally boot to that drive without a problem; it has the Windows 7 install I cloned to my current drive, still).

EDIT: Had a problem with this previously that looked very different but might have been related where I ended up swapping around ESATA slots on my SSDs & HDD to fix it, I think this might fundamentally be a mobo issue.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Jan 23, 2018

• Locked thread