Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

ngl I was wondering how long it would take for someone to bring up Sharon's racist and/or transphobic history, b/c I didn't feel like doing it myself

She seems to have grown a lot since then to be fair, I don't think she's had an incident in a while and I'm still on the fence whether she's a legit bigot or was being offensive for the sake of being offensive and shocking.

p sure her not being a raging alcoholic any more also helps.

Can you tell me more? I didn't know anything about her having racist or transphobic problems. I knew Bianca Del Rio was a poo poo, but not Sharon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

esperterra posted:

Honestly, after season 9's finale I'm surprised more girls didn't have prop gimmicks. Maybe they did, they just never got a chance to lip sync.

Any girls going into S11 without a few stuffed up their sleeves are doing themselves a disservice at this point.

cis autodrag posted:

Can you tell me more? I didn't know anything about her having racist or transphobic problems. I knew Bianca Del Rio was a poo poo, but not Sharon.

The first one seems like such a clear joke pairing with something so iconically American that I never really took offense to it, but that autograph... yikes.

warez fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 20, 2018

Aphra Bane
Oct 3, 2013

seizure later posted:

the first 14 minutes of episode 1 of Season 10 is up

:neckbeard: this cast is looking really promising.

Blair St Clair's confessional made me double take tho. Who let that 12 year old boy wander onto the set

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

cis autodrag posted:

I'm not fully up on it, this post on The Stranger describes one incident and links to reports of a few more.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, if you google it you'll probably find some recent articles detailing the issues. afaik she hasn't had any actual controversies since 2012 or so, but last year had a gig cancelled in Seattle due to the old problems not sitting well with people so it was reported on again.

e: prob plenty of old threads on the subreddit detailing it too

e2: i would totally look stuff up for you if i wasn't at work lol

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
I used to be balls to the wall supportive of Sharon, but yeah, her shtick has used Nazi imagery, as well as using racist slurs.

Sharon sees it as being transgressive, a lot of other see it as ignorant, and racist.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Some quick thoughts on the first few minutes of S10:

Blair St. Clair looks like she's 16. Talk about babyface. Aquaria too. (they're 22 and 21, respectively)

Monet X Change is giving me slightly-less-charismatic Bob the Drag Queen vibes.

Kameron Michaels is gonna be fun to watch, we've never had a "muscle queen" type before.

Holy poo poo there are a lot of NYC girls. It's interesting how the early seasons were pretty LA-dominated, and over time it's shifted toward a lot more NYC representation.

Hard for me to pick any "yep, going home early" queens, they all seem pretty polished. Should be a fun season!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

Any girls going into S11 without a few stuffed up their sleeves are doing themselves a disservice at this point.

The first one seems like such a clear joke pairing with something so iconically American that I never really took offense to it, but that autograph... yikes.

Not a good look, yeesh. It's too bad because her run on drag race was a big inspiration to me getting comfortable with my queerness. Guess I need to scrape together some bux for a Trixie av

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 20, 2018

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Pellisworth posted:

Some quick thoughts on the first few minutes of S10:

Mine:

I hope Eureka goes home quickly. She's boring compared to a whole new crop

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

Mine:

I hope Eureka goes home quickly. She's boring compared to a whole new crop

It's hard to pick favorites this early but I think I'm rooting for Kameron Michaels. I like her vibe, and hell yeah let's rock the muscle queen androgyny.

gently caress toxic masculinity. It's a huge problem in the gay community.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

It's hard to pick favorites this early but I think I'm rooting for Kameron Michaels. I like her vibe, and hell yeah let's rock the muscle queen androgyny.

gently caress toxic masculinity. It's a huge problem in the gay community.

After I saw Milks muscle suit I thought she might do something good. Hopefully kameron is a proper muscle lady.

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

cis autodrag posted:

But a good look, yeesh. It's too bad because her run on drag race was a big inspiration to me getting comfortable with my queerness. Guess I need to scrape together some bux for a Trixie av

or Katya :dance:

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Needs moar Manila av

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

Now, I remember why I wasn't down with Eureka. That drat haircut is back.

also she's way more boring than she thinks she is. literally the most interesting thing she did was injure herself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

Needs moar Manila av

true of every forum

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Imagine spending $5 on anything but an av of Natalia TiredClit's expression of being appalled at the the thought of not being rich.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

endolithic posted:

It's only memorable from Meatball's (?) impression. :colbert: "Not to-noooight!"

Truth

esperterra posted:

dem loafs

Going to wait til Thursday to see the entrances, though I suppose with each episode being 90min long, watching the weekly preview won't feel like it cuts too big a chunk out of my full episodr watch.

But I haven't watched the MtQ, either. I like meeting the queens as they enter the room and only pay attention to what they offer me on the show anyway.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I try to go in basically as blind as possible, though I was looking at some stuff today and it's crazy how many drag relations there are with other seasons' queens. I hope Aquaria is in the bottom once with Asia before winning so Sharon's drag daughter could send home PhiPhi's drag mother.

And speaking of Sharon, the autograph is :yikes: but I don't get being offended by that outfit. I also wish I was as perfect as the people who feel comfortable calling her racist and shutting down her shows and poo poo, because I've done plenty of dumb poo poo I wouldn't want to be defined by personally.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
(The Sharon defener has logged on)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'll defend Sharon to a point, tbf. Some of her controversies I fully believe are her trying to make a performance point.

But a lot of it was her just being an alcoholic rear end in a top hat. I'm glad she seems to have moved past it and also isn't a drunk any more. She seems super chill these days.

e: also, not really a controversy but fun fact: sharon is the reason the lifetime supply of makeup was changed to a 'sickening' one. she kept selling it then going to get more free and sell it again lmfao

esperterra fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 20, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I hope we all can agree Drag Race Thailand >>> AS3. That last half of AS3 was lame challenges and dumb producer hijinks. Oh well.

big black turnout posted:

(The Sharon defener has logged on)

I think it's just fine to be a fan of someone and also recognize they're not perfect. Sharon's gig is being offensive and edgy, but she also says/writes some genuinely dumb poo poo. Willam says some dumb transphobic poo poo on her TV show for everyone to watch.

The first conversation I had with cis autodrag was about me using the term "t____y" and how that was offensive.

I think that's the real problem of Drag Race and social media in general. You make one stupid error, you get roasted and receive a thousand death threats. Yeah, you deserve some stern fuckin' correcting, but reality TV shows and social media are not real life.

If it's a pattern of racism, transphobia, or whatever then yeah gently caress them forever. If someone makes one dumb mistake that's not reason to consign them to the trash bin forever, assuming they learn from it.

esperterra posted:

e: also, not really a controversy but fun fact: sharon is the reason the lifetime supply of makeup was changed to a 'sickening' one. she kept selling it then going to get more free and sell it again lmfao

lol that owns, smart businesslady

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 20, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

#preach

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

I'll defend Sharon to a point, tbf. Some of her controversies I fully believe are her trying to make a performance point.

But a lot of it was her just being an alcoholic rear end in a top hat. I'm glad she seems to have moved past it and also isn't a drunk any more. She seems super chill these days.

the nazi mickie mouse thing isn't a big deal imo and i get what she was going for (ol walt was a nazi ffs). the "you n_____" signature is questionable and even if it was a request from the (black) fan, you have to pause and ask yourself if it's a setup before you write that.

i think the internet has a bad habit of making people try to appear woke by fueling outrage when they don't actually understand the issues they're tackling and just trying to score points. people who co-opt the language of social justice to act like bullies. i'm not deep in enough on the sharon stuff to know if that's the case, but it is a worrying trend. it's hard to have mature conversations about issues because you have people accusing you of virtue signalling on one side and people screaming "burn the witch" because of something you did 10 years ago on the other. there's room for people to grow.

as pellisworth says, i yelled at him a fuckin lot when i first e-met him, but now i consider him a bud. the online outrage squad would never be able to do that.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
is this avatar disruptive to my brand?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

honey.

oh, HOOOONEY.

edit: to kind of bring my thoughts on this conversation to a close,

if you gently caress up once, that's forgivable, learn from your mistakes, listen to those who have a different life perspective, grow as a person

twice, that's a problem, fix your poo poo and do some serious thinking asap

three times, that's a pattern of bigotry, go gently caress yourself

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 20, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think people can still grow if they gently caress up more than twice, but it's a longer and tougher road and I don't blame anyone for saying they're done with the offending party. Some people need way more work to grow than others, but after a certain point there's no reason to stick around if they aren't showing any effort or desire to change their problems.

Like after a certain point it becomes clear that maybe these people have a whooole lot more to deal with and personal poo poo to get in order/fix before they'll even realize the way they treat others is maybe not so great.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
With the whole Sharon mess I think that a huge issue was that the bar had literally never had a POC perform there and then they brought in someone who had a history of doing blackface and using racial slurs in their show.
I don't think someone should get chastised forever for making a dumb mistake but if that person vehemently defended their right to do something they knew (and maybe because it) was controversial and will make a vulnerable minority feel uncomfortable and unsafe then I think that it's fair for certain people not to trust them. I'm sure Sharon has changed but people are allowed to distrust her and not get over it.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

From what I remember from when it happened, that bar already had-- or had after the Sharon thing, anyway,-- a lot more weird issues w/r/t representation and inclusiveness, despite promoting themselves as a place for everyone under the LGBT+ banner, and may have been run by assholes in the first place. Bad look all around.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think I'm in love with Yuhua Hamasaki

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

me too! she is an early fave for me

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?

blizzardvizard posted:

She’s hilarious. Her excuse for disappearing from social media during taping was that she was hit by a car in China and was in a coma. Later she revised this to say that Blair St. Clair was the driver.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Everyone can put down the Rosetta Stones.... for now. Episode 5 has been subbed.

edit: nope, it has not been, some (insert witty thai gay slang pun here) has dropped the ep4 subs onto the ep5 video. false alarm

shadow puppet of a fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 20, 2018

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Everyone can put down the Rosetta Stones.... for now. Episode 5 has been subbed.

edit: nope, it has not been, some (insert witty thai gay slang pun here) has dropped the ep4 subs onto the ep5 video. false alarm

Rejoice! The episode 5 subs are out, and have been posted by the subber, KudaLakorn, on Twitter (not sure if I should direct link due to :filez:).

Natalia is super talented, I wish she wasn't so insufferable about her wealth so I could stan her more.
Pangina continues to be extra, and I'm here for it. Holding those NYX products up by Art's head just to get that blatant product placement in was hilarious.
That lipsync was amazing!
Natalia, Annee and Dearis for top 3 please.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Noise Machine posted:

So I tried to buy an "Oooooo SHUT UP" t-shirt from Kennedy, and my girlfriend was instructed to message her assistant on FB. After 10 minutes it was totally clear it was Kennedy's cousin helping her sell merch.

I'm trying to book Joslyn Fox right now.

She's pretending to be her own agent and hoping I don't notice. I'm laughing at every email.

Edit: Pangina announced May 24 for Chicago. Boooo

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 20, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

cis autodrag posted:

Wow, the skinny legend! The real, biological woman!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Real Lukkade is cool and good.

Best Drag Race continues its streak.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Thank god, I was going through withdrawls.

Now to try to watch this whole episode before anyone else comes into the office.

Edit: This Snatch Game is loving wild and I'm in love with Real Lukkade

Aerox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 20, 2018

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
You can also look at how a drag performer handles the criticism they get.

For example: Sharon crying over the fact that she wants to know what she's supposed to say instead of listening to those who are trying to educate her on the issues on racism.

Willam actually tripping, falling, and being a hot mess over being transphobic, and then getting up, dusting her poo poo off, and trying to listen and understand. Thank god for Courtney Act being there as a friend. (Alaska, too)

Everyone has their own issues that the public addresses to them, it's how you handle it, and move forward.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Drag Race Thailand is so loving good, y'all.

That was a good Snatch Game and I didn't know most of the impressions. It helped that actual celebrity participants were actually funny and interesting, themselves, too.

I love that Art and Panpan put themselves on the table for reading. I understand why nobody did, because they are perfect and beautiful even if they don't look like Linda Evangelista. :allears: I also just realized that they don't have the judging desk in front of them, so they are in full drag full time just like the contestants.

I think I may love Pangina too much. Please send help.

Edit: I almost forgot, during the lip sync there was a moment where three of the judges are living and Art is just sitting there all :colbert: and I died.

tudabee fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 21, 2018

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

endolithic posted:

Drag Race Thailand is so loving good, ya'll.

That was a good Snatch Game and I didn't know most of the impressions. It helped that actual celebrity participants were actually funny and interesting, themselves, too.

I love that Art and Panpan put themselves on the table for reading. I understand why nobody did, because they are perfect and beautiful even if they don't look like Linda Evangelista. :allears: I also just realized that they don't have the judging desk in front of them, so they are in full drag full time just like the contestants.

I think I may love Pangina too much. Please send help.

Pangina has so much talent it's sickening. Between the waacking, makeup and lip syncs, Pangina is an amazing queen and such a better judge than someone who has everything done for him or her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Anyone catch that note from the translator at the end of the episode? The season is still filming, and according to rumor they were only four episodes in when the show started airing. That's certainly one way to prevent spoilers from leaking.

• Locked thread