Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Honestly of Ru doesn't back off on this I'll quit watching. Sharon Needles "be you" message was a real inspiration to me while transitioning and I don't want to watch a show that's hostile to me.

Detox had loving rear end augmentation before his first appearance. All these queens get lipo and lip fillers and cheek implants and poo poo now. It's hypocritical to say trans people with implants aren't making an illusion when you've got male queens with 100k into plastic surgery competing.

Drag is about tearing down the whole idea of gender roles and trans people are a critical voice in that scene. gently caress rupaul for throwing us under the bus just as we're becoming visible enough to be America's new Big Scary Queer Villains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It's kind of a non apology but I'll wait and see how the next couple seasons are cast before I give up forever I guess.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

siiiiiiigh

so conflicted about whether i want to bother watching anymore at this point

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

curiousTerminal posted:

If Ru spouting transphobic nonsense is news to you I'd love to see your time machine from the 1990s. Are the screens still CRT based?
He's always been a transphobic poo poo and I've hated that his opinions and judgement on what is and isn't drag has been at the forefront of mainstream appreciation of it for years. I'm glad that he's finally catching some loving heat about it, even though I know nobody will remember it in time for season 10 and he'll go back to being the drag darling of the world.

It just sucks because if you can't make it to the clubs often then rupaul is your only real source for drag content that isn't 10 second insta vids. When I can make it to live stuff once in a blue moon (at clubs that aren't exclusively cisgay only) it's a million times better than drag race but the rest of the time it's better than nothing.

I always knew he was a poo poo privately but I thought that at this point he knew better than to let his personal poo poo come out in the show.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Toast Museum posted:

I'm a couple episodes into rewatching season three and it's a cringe a minute, especially Untucked. Casual transphobia all over the place.

I started with season 4 and I don't regret missing the first 3 at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pellisworth posted:

I forget since I haven't seen that season in forever, do they toss around "t____y" a ton? That's one thing I always heard a fair bit in the cis-LGB community and didn't realize it was offensive until cis autodrag schooled me.

I agree things have gotten better in the last few years but the LGB community still has a loooong ways to go with being inclusive of people of color, trans-people, etc.

edit: and if the argument is that transitioning gives an unfair advantage to a queen, then Detox and Trinity Taylor should never have been allowed on the show.

Besides, how often has straight "fishiness" / female illusion been a winning quality on RPDR? Very rarely. Maybe Tyra?

This is what I'm saying. Copious surgery is the norm for big name queens these days. Even my precious darling Sharon has a bunch of lip and cheek fillers now. Or did Ru miss Aja's statement that she got a bunch of surgery to get ready for as3?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Flyinglemur posted:

(legit question and not a troll):

What is the difference between a trans woman doing drag and a cis woman doing drag? If drag is for everyone, then there should be no line, correct?

If you have to specify you're not trolling...

But drag is absolutely rooted in queer culture and kicking down the walls social gender norms put around you. Cis het women doing drag would ring hollow. Cis hetero women are allowed to break out of gender roles all sorts of ways (see: the concept of tomboys) that gay men and trans women get killed over. A trans woman who has a butch sensibility is going to get beaten to death in a bathroom way more often then a butch cis woman. Cishet people have no place in drag full stop. Their privilege defines the roles the rest of us are punished for violating.

There's plenty of cis lesbian drag kings out there fighting the femme stereotypes society wants them to fulfill.

Also, Peppermint put out a statement https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/pride/8233000/peppermint-rupaul-apology

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Lol. Especially with Pelosi endorsing anti gay rights house members for cynical politics.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

big black turnout posted:

What is with queerty? Are they typically terrible? Their Twitter feed today seems primarily concerned with bashing people mad at ru

I've never heard of them before, but it's not shocking that a site self describing as queer is doing apologetics for transphobes anyway. Kinda terfs mo to claim queer identity and then push trans people out of it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Season Three is worth watching for Raja alone IMHO.

No amount of talent is going to make hearing transphobic slurs repeatedly worth it for me. I only got through the seasons I did because I was deeply in hiding and not confronting any emotional trauma at all.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I was not reading the thread super carefully; just saw that someone mentioned they thought it was rough and I thought they meant production-wise. I am in no way advocating for you to watch something you find transphobic and I apologize if I came off that way. :ohdear: I'm really sorry.

Oh, not saying you were doing that. Just throwing my two cents in. I'm rapidly realizing that most the other sa trans folks aren't into drag so I've suddenly become the voice of trans drag fans in like a dozen threads.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Confession: I've never watched untucked. Couldn't figure out how to watch them live and I don't have time to rewatch the regular episodes to put them in context.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

Can y'all get my loving nail that fell off 'cause I'm such a disaster???

I loved Laganja even the first time I watched season six. But I loved her because she entertained me and had a sickening entrance, and I honestly found her trying to talk like Alyssa adorable. Girl was a fuckin mess though which is precisely why she was entertaining. She has simultaneously the loving worst and best stand up routine to be on the show.

she's so unfunny. she popped up on a joe goes one time and she got like none of a his schtick and just shouted about weed and pussies a bunch. she's just tedious to watch.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I think there's room to expand the definition of drag, but I think it staying queer is a hard boundary. Cis straight people have no place in it because the whole thing is a rejection of the roles cis straight people discriminate against us for not fitting.

I think a bi or lesbian cis woman could have an interesting perspective to share as a drag queen, as norms of butch/femme often get enforced really hard on them in a different way from trans women or gay men. Similarly, I think a trans man could have a valuable perspective as a queen. Ditto the vice versa situation and kings.

I think it's time for drag to become a larger field of gender performance with many subgenres within it. The queer community has a nasty habit of excluding one another through needless subdivision and it needs to stop. Not everyone has to like every drag style, but there's room for all those voices.

Honestly, I think it's fine for drag race to be about a particular subset of drag. My and others reaction to rupauls latest comments have a lot to do with his long history of giving the finger to trans people. If he'd just said like "I want my show to be about gay men, and we should have more drag content for other genres" I think everyone would have been fine. Instead he made his point by marginalizing trans contributions to drag and here we are.

Cis straight drag is where I draw the line, because there's just no way for the to exist without being a mockery of gender nonconforming people.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Ru's wording combined with his history of having bad/outdated views of the trans community is what made it blow up so much. Had he come prepared for the question it may have gone better ... but prob not b/c it's Ru and that's how he rolls.

I'm amazed he hasn't tried using the Drag Race brand to make shows about diff styles of drag and get that dolla. Here's hoping he or someone else thinks to do it now Drag Race is bigger than ever.

Yeah. It kinda sucks that Logo is all golden girls reruns and poo poo when there's like a million genres of queer performance out there that don't get any attention.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

curiousTerminal posted:

I dunno, I feel like a cishet guy could conceivably do it if it was for the same reason. Straight guys are just as tied down and defined by toxic masculine stereotypes as gay people, and drag could be a healthy way for him to explore his feminine side. It's all about intent, honestly.

For me, it's too much like white people rocking dreadlocks. A cis straight guy has too much power to participate on equal footing. It's cultural appropriation. Cis straight guys created all the gender structures we're trapped in and they don't get to be in our club until they, as a group, fix their poo poo.

There's nothing I hate more as a lesbian than going to a gay club only to be hit on by straight guys. And it happens all. The. Time. It's an invasion of space.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

CaptainScraps posted:

I agree. I can understand how marginalized races, genders and classes can feel uncomfortable discussing these issues. I'm uncomfortable discussing these issues and I'm the majority. But saying "You're not welcome here" or "You can't do this" is a lot different than saying:

Maybe if you want queer people to trust and respect you as a cis het man, stop acting like you're loving entitled to everyone else's poo poo and wait for an invitation. It's not your culture and boohoo for you that there's one place in the world that you can't just barge in dick swinging. You are the exact reason straight cis men don't belong in drag.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

I'm not super thrilled about this era of props in lip syncs after the S9 finale and this fat suit (and the less I have to think about Alexis' stupid tiny witch hat the better...)

Yeah, this far suit didn't even look good. If it was still super good looking it might be fine but it was a just a sloppy laugh.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Seriously, lol at the gaggle of straight guys who swooped in to Not All Men and whine about us filthy exclusionary queers.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

what did you expect.

Can I get a gif of Trixie's blank stare + thumbs up combo because I laughed the most at that tonight.

I'm a Milwaukee girl and I am Trixie all the way. She's finally showing on screen what she brings live and it's everything to me.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I'm a midwest (great lakes) girl too and I LOVE Trixie, but at this point I feel like Shangela needs the crown. Well, earned the crown. She's come a LONG way since season 2, she's always been entertaining to watch, and she's killing it this season.

I wouldn't be sad either way.

It's funny, on this show weaker queens sometimes stick around too long (*cough* alexis michelle *cough*), but usually the right girls end up winning, and there's usually 2-3 people who feel "right" for it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the saltiest crab posted:

After sleeping on it, I’m really bothered by Shangela’s lip sync. The gay community is already lovely enough with fat phobia, and the fact that she went for the cheapest laughs possible is really disappointing.
The suit didn’t even look good! Her winning over Trixie’s far more skilled performance put a really bad taste in my mouth, and hurt so many of my friends.

I agree with you.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Yeah, my worst Grindr and Scruff encounters for being a little thick were mocked pretty hardcore by Shangela's performance, and I've enjoyed every other lip sync performance she's given this season.

It's so disappointing, especially after Kim Chi really put herself out there to talk about this problem.

I'm in a long term relationship so I don't have the dating app horror stories, but as a trans woman I've definitely had people, especially other trans women, clock me on my diet and weight. There's a lot of people in the trans community that seem to think you can never be femme enough if you're not rail thin. It's a really gross internalization of beauty standards from the wider American society.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Actually, here's my ten thousand word thunkpiece about how Shangela is a pioneer for reaching out to gamers with her fierce Goron look.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, they blew through the runway this week. What determines the length each week?

Probably just a lack of interesting material this week. Why stretch it out if nothing fun happens?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the escape goat posted:

if anything, the runway is what needs to be stretched out! I'm not thrilled with how much focus is put into acting challenges, especially since they seem to be set up just to show the girls loving up just enough to get a "rucocococococo" sound effect going.

DIMINISHING RETURNS, PRODUCERS. gotta keep that for when there is straight-up actual goddamn shade!

Yeah, RuPaul has obviously checked out and started just cashing checks. Esperterra and I discussed this elsewhere, but the show has mainstreamed *a lot* in the last couple years. The mini challenges, where a lot of the uniquely gay stuff really happened, have all but disappeared, there's less personal focus on the queens' journeys as queer individuals, and the maxi challenges outside of the obligatory snatch game all feel like hastily thrown together acting/singing bits.

The show has lost its way and its hard to say how much of that is ru disengaging and how much of that is VH1 pushing for more content that won't scare the straights away. Where the gently caress is mustache pit crew guy? Or the pit crew at all?

It's slowly becoming less Drag Race and more Rupauls Costumes Time Dance Party.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
It makes sad because drag race was a big part of my coming out process. Queens like Sharon made me realize that even if people looked at me as a freak show after my transition, thats fine and those people are just trogs who can't appreciate my majesty.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Whelp guess I have to watch dragula now. What channel is it on?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

The “journey as a queer performer” stuff never really felt all that... honest from the show’s side. That part at the end of S7 where they held up 3rd grade photos and pushed the queens on “what they’d tell little [Pearl/Ginger/Violet]” was horribly uncomfortable (and downright exploitative with Pearl, who seemed to have gone through some kind of trauma as a kid). I’m fine with less of that.

That's not what I'm talking about. Queens used to talk about their lives a lot more in the werk room, or at least they showed more of it. Now all you see of those conversations is more generic bits about anxiety or depression that non queer folks would relate to too. And lots of sniping between queens. I miss some of the really sincere heart to hearts talks you'd get in earlier seasons.

The photo thing was always tacky.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

the escape goat posted:

Dragula is also available on amazon prime, which doesn't suck.
it's a really rad (and welcome) alternative to Drag Race; it features a more diverse cast who can get truly freaky with what they do, genderfuck is more prevalent, and it doesn't shy away from being Gay As Hell.

the "extermination" challenges can be a little overwhelming, but they're all based on stuff that the Boulet Bros have legit participated in as part of their shows.
also gotta say that I'm a huge fan of how each eliminated queen gets their own little vignette at the end of the episode showing how they perish.

and, uh... if you're into dudes, their personal assistant Israel is as hot as the loving sun. you may not want to scroll through his insta while at work though. https://www.instagram.com/israelhermes1111/?hl=en

I'm like 99 percent lesbian but I don't mind mancandy as long as they don't talk too much :v:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Raere posted:

I would like Shangela a whole lot more if she shut up about GoT

Shangie is now a thing that has been in contact with fire: burnt.

Seriously, she's incapable of making a reference without explicitly spelling out its source.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

warez posted:

Yeah. I haven't struggled with being obese so it's not really my place to tell people to not be offended or whatever, but I agree there's a lot of room for queens to do interesting takes on exaggerated body shapes (I think Thorgy's prosthetics from a few year ago and Milk's muscle suit looked incredible and there was obviously a lot of time/effort put into creating them). I know it's not exactly the same, but comically massive hip pads are a drag staple for a lot of queens too.

"thrower of lemons," surely

I think you could do interesting things with body image, but I would not say that Shangela did do interesting things with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I'm watching dragula episode one and holy poo poo did they shoot this in a storage unit? It's fun but extremely amateur.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Lmao, "is someone peeing? Yes daddy give it to me!"

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Trixie Mattel is the voice of our generation.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
at my wife's behest we took a detour to watch jawbreaker. it's like a titty-loving john waters set out to play it really safe. in compensation, I'm making her watch pink flamingos and the craft tomorrow.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

esperterra posted:

Jawbreaker is great if you watch it in slow motion ngl. It's quite possibly my favourite comedy pasttime with my bestie. One time we watched all of Kubrick's Lolita in slowmo and it was like five hours long but incredibly loving hilarious and worth it. Slowmo The Last Unicorn is also very good.

Slow motion voices are never not funny.

Has your wife not seen The Craft yet??? Is she the only lesbian who hasn't?

e: seconding or thirding or w/e all the Two Birds love. really great album.

Yeah she's never seen the craft. Keep in mind she married a "guy" who later tore off a rubber mask to reveal it was a sexy lady the whole time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just listened to two birds and it's just plain old good country music. It's a delight.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Tendai posted:

She would have gotten away with it if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Hey now, meddling with kids is a pretty nasty anti trans stereotype.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Berzerker posted:

I'm watching the S5 finale and Ru is interviewing Monica Beverly Hills. Ru asks, "Can a girl be a drag queen and a trans woman at the same time?" and Monica says "Yes. Drag is what I do, trans is what I am" and Ru is like "hell yeah the only thing we care about is if you wanna be America's Next Drag Superstar and if you have charisma uniqueness nerve and talent"

:captainpop:

It's almost like rupaul is an old person who functions primarily in a reactionary mindset.

I think Michelle Visage is all that keeps this show going anymore, and I say that as someone who fully used to hate her for how harsh she critiqued all my favorite weirdo queens.

• Locked thread