Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Great job on the OP, Pinwiz11. I was upset at first by all the shade you were throwing at Sasha, but in the end I think you were fair.

As far as I know, there haven't been any spoilers other than the secret queen BeBe Zahara Benet. I was talking with some friends who said they didn't want to be spoiled. I asked them who they thought it would be, and they immediately guessed correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

I like Thorgy.

esperterra posted:

Rumours abound that Ongina was supposed to be in AS3 so I'm hoping she's a lock for AS4. Ongina needs a crown gdi.

Apparently Ongina doesn't do drag full time anymore, and she can't get away from her real job long enough to film the season and do all the necessary promo.

alf_pogs posted:

AS1 is a hard season to revisit because by the time the last episode rolls around, to me it rings hugely false that Chad would win. i say this as someone who loves Chad from top to bottom. i find her a consumate professional, someone who's just incredibly polished and entertaining. but that last challenge - the superhero one - should have been a disaster for Chad and Shannel. they rightly got slammed by Michelle for turning comic-book glam into bondage nonsense. meanwhile, Raven and Juju absolutely crushed it.

I'm still convinced that Ru had planned on giving the crown to Chad in season 4, but Sharon became such a fan favorite that she couldn't justify not giving her the crown. So it didn't matter what happened in All Stars, unless Chad royally hosed up, she was going to get that crown.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

There really aren't any good options. I've tried a few.

Playstation Vue has a fantastic interface, but it doesn't have any Viacom stations.

DirectTV Now's interface is awful, has terrible streaming that constantly lags, and it won't cast to my TV for whatever reason.

SlingTV is the cheapest of the bunch, but the interface sucks, and the streaming is never in full HD. It at least casts to my TV, but man the website is a pain in the rear end to use.

I'm probably just going to buy the season pass on Amazon, and watch it the next morning if I don't watch it live at a local bar.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Poulpe posted:

Man, a ton of Thorgy hate going around here. I'm all for Ben and Trixie personally, but still.

Didn't Thorgy come in second place in like, four or five different challenges?
I think the story would be way different if Bob hadn't been there to eat her lunch.

Yeah, I've said it before. If Bob wasn't there, Thorgy would have been in the final 3 for sure. She came second a lot. The problem was that they did a similar thing, but Bob always did it just that much better. So Thorgy got disheartened, got too in her own head, and spiraled out of control.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yandat posted:

Can this be streamed? And where?

Legally? Only if you pay.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Does anyone know if this will be the case for Drag Race Thailand, or if it will even be broadcast in English/with English subtitles? Iím very interested to see how drag is presented in other countries.

I highly doubt it. They only sparingly air some of the international editions of Real Housewives. And if they do, it'll be at like 2am.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yandat posted:

is slingtv playable on computer?

if itís hard iíll just find a pirate stream. id give you money you vh1 fucks just make it simple

Yes. I stream it from my computer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yandat posted:

is there an untucked or no since theres no judge deliberation

My friends and I were wondering that tonight, and then I remembered that there is no Untucked since the deliberation is pretty much Untucked.

Great start to the season, but the talent show paled in comparison to last season. Everyone played it safe. Ben and Aja deserved that top two though, and they were right to send Morgan home.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

Thorgy taking unfunny shots at Bob is about what i expected.

Yeaaaah, as a Thorgy fan, her reading was not good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aphra Bane posted:

Mhmm, y'all slept on Aja

haha, you're acting like she brought something to the competition last time around. She's really loving lucky that Adam Joseph made that bitch track, or she wouldn't be back.

She was phenomenal last night though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

What I like about ChiChi is that she didn't make any excuses for herself. Just "yes, I made a mistake, I'll do better." I mean, that shouldn't be exceptional, but so many queens have excuses for DAAAYS.

I think this will be a good season, hopefully there isn't a Roxxxy situation this time around.

I doubt it. There is no Rolaskatox situation this season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

And can anyone give me some insight as to what happened to Trixie in her season? I heard something about viewers accusing the show of being scripted because she got bounced early?

Um, I don't know about that. Trixie was booted, but then they brought all the booted queens back for a challenge, and the winner would come back into the competition. Trixie won and came back, and was booted again 2 episodes later.

The problem with season 7 was that it was terrible. Easily the worst season. There was a gaggle of mean queens who were just nasty bitches. You saw some of it in All Stars 2 with Ginger who was the leader of the mean queens. She didn't realize how she came off, and she had no confidence in All Stars 2. There was also an over use of acting challenges, and it was not a cast that was talented in acting. Ru lost her poo poo on the contestants in one episode because everyone was just SO terrible. And at the time, the final 3 was very underwhelming. Nobody really wanted any of the queens to win the crown, so when Violet was eventually crowned, everyone was all, MEH.

In the end, season 7 produced some amazing queens, but something went wrong somewhere in how it was all put together.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Also, this has probably been addressed (possibly by me) but the Alexis verse in C.L.A.T. is godawful. It sucks, because everyone else's verse is so strong and it kinda fucks with the flow.

I forgot that Alexis existed.

I'm not happy about being reminded.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The Berzerker posted:

When did Milk turn into such a gigantic bitch?

Probably the exact moment she became besties with Marc Jacobs.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Ah thanks. The way my friend was going on about that season, he made it seem like she got snowjobbed and was brought back after some kind of outcry.

Mmm, no. Both eliminations were fair. Plus, the show is filmed usually close to a year before it actually airs. There is no way that there could have been some outcry for her first elimination. I'm not really sure where your friend is coming from.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

only when it comes to chad beating raven in AS1

Correct answer.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Is Ru's podcast worth listening to? If so, are there any standout episodes?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Mob posted:

Trixie and Katya really lucked out getting their show on a network stoners watch/DVR for hours a day

I say this as a stoner who DVRs a lot of Vice shows

Yeah, I was at a restaurant once and they were playing Vice on the tv. It was some pseudo prank show following around some skaters, and they actually showed one of the skaters pulling down his pants, and they did a closeup of actual poo poo coming out of his rear end, as he pooped into a shoe.

We asked the bartender to change the channel.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Since those Funkopops are horrible indistinct humonculi, I figured Trixie got one because her cheek and eye makeup are pretty distinctive, aside from riding the wave of her internet fame and viceland show.

That's probably the more likely reason. Maybe she wins, but I'm sure if she was selected because she was the winner, they would have requested they hold off on the announcement until after she is crowned.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bliggers- posted:

Did you all see Ru on the Colbert Show last week?
Oooo girl, poo poo was real awkward. Not Ru at his best for sure.

Yeah, Ru seemed off. It was uncomfortable.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

Ben threw that Lip Sync, y/y?

I think she saw once Shangela did that jump rope, that she wasn't going to win, so she did a comedic reaction to Shangela's lip sync.

I love Thorgy, and she made it very difficult to like her tonight.

But Milk's Celine was terrible and I don't understand how she was safe instead of in the bottom.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Sarcopenia posted:

I never personally cared for Thorgy's shtick but I can't help but wonder if sometimes there's some things being cut out. Like maybe there was a "I'm just kidding" part of that weird and petty mirror message. Like she is super petty and her attitude stinks but I can't help but think that the message wasn't as serious as it came off.
But thank god she's gone. If all is right in this world Milk will go too.

She addressed the edit in an interview with Vulture:

"I would have picked Stevie yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I was upset with that edit, when they cut my sentence off when I said, 'Stevie Nicks is not a gay icon.' Because my full sentence was, 'Stevie is not a gay icon who is being set up to win this challenge in a drag queen competition, amongst these, like, divas.' Some people on Twitter really got at me: 'How could you say sheís not?!' [Sighs.] And Iím like, 'Now I need to explain this.'"

and

"By the way, I love Shangela. I want her to win. Sheís brilliant. She can talk her way out of anything. Sheís an improv actor. And I had fun just being like, 'Suck it, Shangella [sic],' because thatís how my friends talk to each other. Weíre sarcastic. You know I love you, but you know Iím pissed at you, so suck it ó and just draw a penis! Why not? I actually thought they were going to blur it out. [Laughs.] But they didnít!"

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at Feb 3, 2018 around 01:35

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Yeah Iíve read it through a few times and still canít parse it. Iím guessing itís just a reprisal of the ďI was set up to failĒ defense but eh

This season is loving lit btw, so much shade and talent on display. Also, how Milk wasnít in the bottom is beyond me

Marc Jacobs must have leverage on Ru

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bina posted:

I am a firm believer that Milk has experienced some poo poo from being exposed to the modeling world.

I think what Milk has experienced was becoming best friends with a top tier fashion designer, and as a result has spent a lot of time with A-Listers, and it gave him an inflated sense of ego as a result. He has spent the last several years being told how incredible he is all the time without doing very much, and came into the competition thinking he would have an easy path to victory. So the fact that they've made it two challenges and he hasn't even been in the top yet has left him shocked and insulted.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tendai posted:

Kennedy still occupies a place in my heart that I don't understand.

I don't understand either.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I was really impressed with Kennedy in Bitchelor this week. She doesn't consider herself a comedy/acting queen and it's not something she'd do in her own regular performances, but drat can she ham it up when asked to.

Well, that's the thing. Kennedy did very well. But Kennedy didn't do her assigned character. She was way more off in terms of character than Aja was.

What Kennedy knew though is that Ru absolutely lives for a ghetto character. If a queen does a ghetto character even somewhat competently, then they are usually guaranteed a win. The second Kennedy stepped out of that limo, before she even spoke, I thought to myself, "Well, there it is, Kennedy has the win."

Jeffrey Bower Chapman is easily the most attractive man to ever appear on Drag Race. Jesus.

And Marc Jacobs is totally going to throw some shade next week at Kennedy for eliminating his best friend.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

I thought Kennedy nailed "party girl" just fine. She picked an interpretation of "party girl" which appealed to Ru and was also hilarious. You can't say she didn't rock that challenge, I think it's unfair to say she won because she played a ghetto character. She won because she played ghetto black party girl hilariously well.

I didn't disagree that she rocked the challenge. She earned her spot in the top. My point was that she strayed from her assignment probably more than Aja did. The editing suggested that Aja was placed in the bottom because she didn't portray her assigned character, which is disingenuous since Kennedy didn't get the same criticism. Aja wasn't as funny, which is true. They could have left it at that. But they didn't. Kennedy's portrayal was more thirsty than party girl. The only thing that suggested party girl was bringing out the shots at the very end of the challenge.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Jolo posted:

The quality jump going between the current cast of All Stars in s3 and the competition in Season 1 is huge. That's not to say the queens in s1 are bad, obviously Chad is incredible, and I like several of the others, but drat, the season 3 lineup is so so strong.

The talent in All Stars 1 was pretty great, other than Mimi Imfurst and maybe Miss Tammy Brown. But the team format was just such a bad idea, it practically ruined Pandora's career. Wasn't she fan favorite in season 2? She became so self-defeatist when she was paired up with Mimi that I think the fans just lost all love for her.

Chad is amazing in general, but Raven should have won.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Yeah that season is irredeemable for many reasons including squandering so many great queens. Jujubee, Latrice, yara, Nina, ugh. They should have a do-over without the teams. Maybe replace Mimi with Ongina.

I guess Ongina turned it down. Sharon also turned it down, having just won the crown. Willam was scheduled to appear, but one of the producers hates her and refused to work with her, so was told last second that she wouldn't be coming back. Mimi replaced her last second replacement.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

angerbeet posted:

You shut your whore mouth

I love Tammy. She just wasn't interested in competing. At least we got some great lines out of her.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

spite house posted:

Just wanted to say This really is a consistently great thread with cool and good people.

Every now and then I try and venture into the subreddit, and I always run away in sheer terror.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Chaotic Flame posted:

Does that mean the regular subreddit is safe to look at?

No

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yeah, I think at this point it's between Shangela and Ben. I prefer Ben over Shangela, but I wouldn't be upset about a Shanela win. She is charismatic as gently caress, even if shady, and is possibly the most improved queen since her first appearance in season 2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Trig Discipline posted:

That would be (1) loving stupid and make me lose a lot of respect for her and (2) outside the rules of the show as they've been given.

I mean, the producers have been saying that this is the darkest and shadiest season they've ever seen. I don't want to believe it, but it would line up with the expectations.

But that could be just typical producer hype. Like how they hinted that there would be a romance in season 5, and it just turned out to be Jinxx's crush on Ivy Winters.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aerox posted:

The first episode of Drag Race Thailand has been subbed into English:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6eun3r

The first two contestants so far are a shrimp farmer and a coffin salesman.

For anyone else who is confused, you have to click on the settings to turn on the subtitles.

Edit: It's really fascinating to see a foreign culture's gay scene, and yet at the same time, some of these queens are clearly inspired by queens from Drag Race West. The one queen, if she wasn't speaking Thai, I'd swear she was Charlie Hides.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at Feb 22, 2018 around 04:45

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pellisworth posted:

Also, there's a Filipino queen who speaks English but maybe not Thai? That's gonna be a mess

Yeah, it seems like when they other queens speak to her, they speak in English, and are teaching her short Thai phrases.

quote:

edit: holy gently caress the pit crew is gorgeous

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

poo poo. Drag Race Thailand. These queens are talented as gently caress.

RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars Season 2, a two in one challenge, and some of the queens really struggled.

Drag Race Thailand, Season 1, Episode 1, a THREE in one challenge, and not just that, BUT A FOUND MATERIALS CHALLENGE, and the queens all knock it out of the park.

Bitch made an incredible looking dress out of a TATAMI MAT!

I know Ru stopped doing so many sewing and found materials challenges because so many of the queens can't sew. But please, bring them back next season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dude789 posted:

I think Bebe had the better lip sync, but there probably hasn't been a contestant as doomed by song choice since Kenya vs. Latrice.

She did have the better lip sync. I was listening to the Homophilia podcast today, and Trixie was this week's guest. She was saying that she's never been a talented lip syncher, and when she performed before she was on Drag Race, she would just always try and pick songs that would cater to the both the gay men and the drunk bachelorette parties, which was pretty much, "Barbie Girl."

With Bebe's win, I'm guessing that rumor about her this season is false, which makes me happy. I'm still terrified about that other rumor that you guys were all talking about a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I thought all the queens this week were a little underwhelming. The can of soup challenge was dumb, and I know we were just talking about it regarding Drag Race Thailand, but for christ's sake, it's ALL STAR'S 3. Learn to loving sew! Ru went easy on them this week. In past seasons, she's had them make 3 outfits in one challenge. All they had to do was make ONE, and none of them really did any good.

We're down to the final 5, these queens should be bringing their all every single week. Not just floating by like pretty much all of season 7.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pan Dulce posted:

That elimination was pure unadulterated producer bullshit. How in the hell does a can that's practically illegible win? It was a red and brown mess. I call shenanigans on this season and on boring, consistent Bebe being safe, nay, being a WINNER, now.

esperterra posted:

Bebe won more for her outfit than her can, imo. Ben's can was clearly superior in the judge's eyes but her outfit sucked. Bebe being more consistent over the 2 challenges got her the win. I figured it would be Bebe and Trixie before Ru even said their names.

Jay O posted:

Look I realize the salt response given how it all went down, but Bebe's can really did look like a piece of art on its own, while the others were at best clever gags on decent-to-ugly graphic design.

Why are you guys arguing about the cans? It was pretty clear that they queens just came up with the concept, and then they handed it off to the producers who gave it to someone who knows how to work photoshop. Aside from the gag, I really don't think the cans had much at all to do with the outcome. Remember, the judges didn't really care for Bebe's can or concept.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tendai posted:

Maybe I shouldn't have said bored with AS3. It's - I'm not sure how to word it - more like I don't feel the drive from the competitors like I tend to in the normal seasons? Like I compare it to the excitement of the queens on Drag Race Thailand that I watched right after watching the last AS3 episode, and something feels lacking. Still a good show and one I don't regret buying on Amazon, but the fire is a bit on the low side by comparison.

That being said, Trixie's comment about losing the lipsync to Pearl just loving slayed me.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that season 2, half the cast were runner-ups. They came that close to winning the crown, they just didn't get it. The lowest ranking queen in their original season was Alyssa Edwards.

Whereas this season, not a single queen was a runner up, other than Bebe who won. Every other queen was eliminated middle of the pack, except for Chichi or Kennedy who at least made it to top 4. Hell, Trixie was eliminated before Snatch game in her original season.

The difference is that most of the queens this season originally came onto Drag Race after they began to realize that just being on the show can be a career maker. So many of the queens who come on the show are making six figures a year, something I don't even make as an attorney. I don't think they are all that concerned about getting the crown, just as long as they don't piss off the fans, they know that they were on All-Stars, and have gigs booked for the next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

^burtle posted:

The episode just really felt like filler. Maybe it was because I had a few drinks or the nature of the challenge but it seemed like we got to the runway super quickly and then the episode was over. I guess we needed one more queen for the RuVenge but hopefully things speed up now that there are so few episodes left.

I think this was the first episode of the season that was only an hour (so 42 minutes).

• Locked thread
«2 »