Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm not angry, I'm just disappointed.

I guess at this point the crown is Shangela's if she wants it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dude789 posted:

I think Bebe threw that Lip Sync, especially since Ru has been so vocal about "Don't remove your wig....unless you have another wig underneath it." after season five. Also, Aja released a new music video which is probably one of the best drag queen music videos ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=safM-tI6os0

I was shocked at how attracted I was into Aja in boy drag in that video.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Aja continues to be extremely attractive out of drag. welcome to the Aja appreciation club sis! :)

Also this track loving slaps. Love that she had such a great opportunity to show off her talent.

I felt really bad for Aja. He got a lot of criticism for his looks after his first season, to the point that he got extensive plastic surgery.

Granted, the plastic surgery was very good, subtle enough that I didn't notice until he pointed it out, while simultaneously looking better.

I hate that he went through that though.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Tendai posted:

drat Natalia Pliacam doesn't go subtle with her opinions of others :stare:

I had some friends over tonight, and I was wondering what the deal with Natalia is. As an American, we would find it really distasteful to brag about being rich, and hating on someone for being poor like she was doing. I was wondering if that was something culturally as a Chinese-Thai.

Tendai posted:

Dearis for president

Dearis in boy drag is maybe the hottest? Although nowhere near as hot as Panpan in boy drag. Dear god is Panpan attractive.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Honestly, I think it's only a mater of time before they have a cisgender straight woman on the show. Go to /r/rupaulsdragrace and you'll see everyday straight women posting photos of themselves made up drag style.

I think it'll also probably be canceled after they cast a straight woman. But it's only a matter of time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bliggers- posted:

Is Natalia Pliacam an incredibly horrible person to her follow competitors because:
- he is (relatively) wealthy, arrogant as gently caress and doesn't know any better
- he is the oldest and by far the least conventionally attractive person out of drag
- some cultural differences I don't understand or
- a combination of everything

I think it's a cultural difference. She not only brags about being very wealthy, she criticizes the other queens for being poor. And it goes both ways. The other queens say they like her because she is rich.

Whereas traditionally in America, it was incredibly uncouth to brag about being rich, even though everybody wants to be.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Why is Panpan so attractive.

It's staggering how attractive Panpan is.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

cis autodrag posted:

The way TV shows are licensed is a joke and will never be fixed without government intervention.

Drag Race is a pressing national concern.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Yandat posted:

bendela wouldve won, then shangela was robbed, then kennedy was robbed

i love trixie but this season was hosed

Yes, Shangela was robbed. Once Ben dropped out, that was Shangela's crown for the taking. I'm not sure Kennedy was robbed, though. She should have been sent home long ago, and her nonstop spinning on that final lip sync was further proof that she didn't deserve the crown. It was very reminiscent of the Latrice & Kenya lip sync, Kennedy just had absolutely zero understanding of self-awareness in terms of the song. And the way she pulled her wig back so tight, matching the wig color with her makeup color made her look bald.

cis autodrag posted:

The jury of peers pretty obviously picked Kennedy and Trixie because they were straight up in their interviews while BeBe and Shangela were shady.

I'm not sure you know how these are filmed, but none of these queens would have seen the interviews until they aired. This show was filmed last summer. There is no way that they would have seen any of the interviews before filming the finale.

I think it was pretty obvious that they picked Kennedy and Trixie because they were friends with everybody, whereas Shangela made enemies, and Bebe already has the crown and didn't really impress much this season.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 16, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

jimmydalad posted:

It’s stuff like this that has me worried for the future. Where lipsyncs will be defined by “moments” and other queens feel like they have to have moments instead of being just a fierce performer in general. The optics of the last two winners haven’t been the best either, with a black front runner is robbed at the chance of being in the final 2 because of a new twist in lieu of a white fan favourite. In Shea’s case, at least she could’ve done something about making it to the end, but Shangela, judging by the lipstick choosing video, didn’t have much a chance at all and had to get by on something that wasn’t based on talent and performance alone.

I hardly think Trixie won because of the gimmick of cutting her hair. It was barely a moment, unlike the show stopper moments that Sasha had. Trixie won because of the combination of being a fan favorite, and the fact that people don't really like Kennedy. No matter the pity party that Kennedy threw for herself, winning the crown was never going to suddenly make her more appealing. Ru knows that.

I think everybody recognizes that after Ben quit, Shangela should have won. But the eliminated queens were simply too salty to let her have that, and instead gave Kennedy a pity vote.

And Shea did make it to the final two, unless you're saying that Peppermint was the front runner, which I think most people would disagree with you on. Sure, Sasha had that very memorable moment. But Sasha is also a phenomenal lip syncer, and she out lip synced Shea. She's one of the few queens who can stand completely still and still have a great lip sync. And I think you're misremembering the situation at the time. Shea did have the fans on her side. There was a lot of anger over Sasha's win.

quote:

I guess the producers were savvy enough to realise people wouldn’t be happy and hence brought on Season 10 next week to help distract people.

The producers have nothing to do with the scheduling of the show. That would be VH1. The more obvious explanation is that they don't want to lose any momentum by having some time off between the shows.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Aerox posted:

I have to get in my picks for my fantasy league for Season 10 and I'm at a loss.

Is there anyone already pegged as a stand-out and/or dumpster fire? I'm not looking for people to tell me exactly who to pick, just if there's any clear/known obvious winners/losers.

It's really hard to say. The queens coming in this season have such polished looks. We're long past the days of having queens like Venus D-Lite and Phoenix who were so not ready for the show. Between the fact that we've had 12 seasons of Drag Race now, and Instagram and youtube raising pretty much everyone's game, it's hard to base it just on looks alone going into the competition. Add to the fact that just because someone has a lot of followers or does great at the club doesn't necessarily translate to doing well on the show. I remember going into season 5, the internet was convinced that Lineysha Sparx was going to take the crown.

That said, in an interview with Vulture, Trixie said that she's rooting for Monet X Change and Aquarius.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ru is on Watch What Happens Live tonight. Andy asked Ru if he regrets not having Shangela in the top two. Ru said that he just likes to mix things up, and the fact that the queens chose Kennedy to be in the top two instead of Shangela was on them, not him.

• Locked thread