Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I've updated the last post in the OP, is there a good playlist of Dragula Season One that someone can recommend or is Amazon the best option?

Thanks for that update! Amazon Prime is the only good source I know of for S1.

Regarding Dragula: I’m up to S2 E6 and while I recommend it because it offers a very different form of drag than Drag Race (plus I appreciate the Boulet Brothers’ more straightforward critiques), be aware it does not shy away from some potentially triggering and downright disgusting moments during performances and eliminations. The tenants of Dragula are “glamour, filth, and horror” and you will absolutely get all three. From the first episode there are bugs and live ‘burials’ and in top three someone purposely vomits on stage and licks it up. The big NOPE Pinwiz11 is referring to in S2 E1 involves piercing needles. If the fear factor sort of stuff is too much I think Raven and Kim Chi Raja have done videos on the Dragula queen’s looks, so at least you can see part of why these ghouls make us gag.

All that aside, the Boulet’s manservant, Israel, is very nice on the eyes. Plus he gets some familiar help in S2.

Know that S1 is much more low-budget, although in some ways I think it was more charming for it.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jan 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

CHiRAL posted:

Oh, that's right. season 1 had a whole FFR series about the looks. I watched the whole thing before I watched the show now that I think about it

Now that the daystar is out *hiss* I got my wires crossed. Kim Chi did do at least one MUG video with Vander Von Odd, and there’s other Dragula bits and bobs on WOW Presents. I encountered a few contestants via Transformations prior to watching Dragula. I’ve not watched these yet but there’s also a “House of GOREgeous” YT channel with S2 “bouviews” hosted by S2 contestant Kendra Onixxx accompanied by Gia Ferrari.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Nihonniboku posted:

Legally? Only if you pay.

Does anyone know if this will be the case for Drag Race Thailand, or if it will even be broadcast in English/with English subtitles? I’m very interested to see how drag is presented in other countries.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Pellisworth posted:

You can see influence from Dragula in the opening skit and the Vanessa vs. Porkchop skit. I bet we'll have a horror/filth/gore themed challenge this season.

I still need to watch the episode but glad to see this. I’d love to see one of the Dragula queen’s guest as a judge like Wiliam and Alaska did.

Chi Chi in flat shoes reminds me of when Dracmorta Boulet went on a rant about 90’s club kid boots. It’s a huge no-no folks, don’t wear ‘em!

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I only caught the runway part of the episode but caught on quick. That said I had no idea who Thorgy was meant to be until someone mentioned it. I agreed with the critiques on Kennedy’s Janet Jackson, but felt her RuDemption look was far more high effort/concept compared to Milk’s safe pretty (and this is coming from someone who thought Kennedy’s original look was fun to begin with). Kennedy was still serving Kennedy, while Milk seemed to think in order to win she had to erase Milk completely instead of presenting a glam look to her drag.

I appreciated Aja from the beginning so I’m very happy to see her skill progression (much like Shangela, who was amazing). Put it this way: Aja is the one doing the fantasy league commercials. Even if she doesn’t go all the way she clearly has a place at WoW.

The Shangela vs Ben lip synch was a load of fun. Jump! *Ben barely manages three inches off the ground, bless*

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I’m sad to see Chi Chi go but she has nothing to worry about. I’m really proud of her attitude.

Shangela’s GoT routine doesn’t bother me because it’s a way to explain the drama of the show to people new to Drag Race and it also lampshades to whole reality show gestalt. Frankly her winning the season would be a hilarious bookend to the S3 mystery box.

Ben’s and Shangela’s LSFYL outfits and performance were cute. :3:

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah but that was bullshit, no way Darienne Lake deserved to be top 4 over Ben tbh.

I got really confused because I thought Ben did make top 4. I had forgotten who Darienne Lake was, then when you reminded me the only thing I remember of her was that season’s final four runway challenge where they had to stone their own outfits from scratch and her’s ended up looking like a heavy sack due to misjudging gem weight versus placement.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

https://twitter.com/goopery/status/964184663853019137

I got to watch the untranslated episode. It was still followable in terms of format (workroom intro, mini and maxi challenges, LSFYL) although I hope someone is kind enough to translate for subtitles, or at least do episode reviews (if anyone has recommendations please share them). One of the queens (JAJA) does all her talking head segments in English.

The mini challenge was (spoiler tags just in case anyone is following this to fill/supplement the gap from AS3 to S10 in March) a photoshoot where their Pit Crew guys dumped buckets of water over them while the queens used a makeup remover cloth. The main challenge runway was incorporating cheap/weird/hard-to-use fabric/materials into their fashion, which by the way had to present three different looks! Sewing/craft challenge right out of the gate. Both challenges were excellent for a first episode, we’ve seen similar on previous seasons although I’d love to see S10 do some of the same. During the judging a vast majority of the queens were safe, and it was clear to me hostess Art Arya was giving them the “safe is not where you want to be in this competition” speech.

Random stuff:
- from the workroom to the runway the sets look uh...very season 1. Well, maybe season 3 to be fair. Nyx is one of the major sponsors.
- the runway winner’s prize was for a place that included “medical” in the logo, I’m guessing it’s probably a spa-type place?
- the queens on average seem a little older than US Drag Race casting, with several being around 30. The oldest is 37 and the youngest 18!
- during the runway a queen simulating smoking had her mouth censored, which is how I learned showing smoking on TV is censored in Thailand.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

They could have still done the cans but had the queens do quick ads for them (like the perfume challenge), using the bits that were spoken over the runway in the ad instead. Would have required a little more work and possibly put that extra pressure into the challenge.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I was always in Aja's court, I still don't know why people were annoyed/predicting she'd go home first or second.

Same. While she clearly had a long way to go on making concepts work in S9 I still felt I understood where she was coming from, even if she failed at a challenge. Last week was a great example of her missing the mark but still putting out something that wasn’t bad: seeing herself as sweet=candy as opposed to sweet=explosively acidic sweet pop rocks; a 23-yo who hasn’t specifically studied the 70s and instead gets caught up in a project presenting what they thought the 70s was. She reminds me of S2 Shangela in that she at least tries even if something isn’t her strong suit and keeping forging ahead after making mistakes.

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Probably because her S9 looks and performance were pretty mediocre. This is most notable in the Rudemption Runway looks in episode 2. The troll-doll look went from ghastly to incredible as her makeup and dress skills improved. Putting them side by side, it's like night and day, more than any other queen that week.

Absolutely. I loved her fairy tale concept because the idea was funny and it seemed like it was coming out of Aja’s life, she just couldn’t execute or explain it well at the time (but I got where she was coming from). In contrast Valentina executed her concept so well that most people overlooked what she was revealing about herself. Except for Aja, who saw right through the BS. Ice can be clear, after all.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

See, what I got out of RuPaul’s comments was his usual “drag is an illusion.” Trans people aren’t creating an illusion but living their true lives. Now, to me hypothetical trans person can also be a drag performer, but there we have Ru’s somewhat reductive concept of “drag” as an art form (she side-eyed the very idea of bald queens like Jujube a decade ago).

People are getting super-upset and as usual Ru is a problematic fav. :(

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Jay O posted:

Dragula season 2 had a "heteroflexible" competitor who was married to a lady (open relationship). I think that's the closest they've gotten. Still a very queer situation though.

Disasterina, and I recall on one episode when this was being discussed someone interjected “your family is cute!” and all the other monsters were totally supportive. :3:

big black turnout posted:

I'd love to try to do drag but I'm too old, both too fat and too skinny, and I'll never shave my beard

None of these things can stop you from doing drag in the Dragula universe (but oof do I feel ya on the age part).

I am more surprised Ru (sorta) apologized so quickly than at his lovely, narrow-minded remarks. I’ve followed him since the 90s while in that same time recognized I’m trans, I’m non-binary, and I’m exactly what “doesn’t belong” in that community according to him and probably millions of other people. It’s a lovely feeling even when it’s an expected one. That said I still want to watch amazing performances from Shangela and Aja and soon Eureka on S10 and all the girls on Thailand.

But frankly Dragula S3 can get here any day now because that’s where I’m accepted.

And yes I meant Ongina earlier. I think some of the petroleum used on the S1 cameras rubbed off on my brain and never left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Czolgosz posted:

No mention of Detox's consummate "I've had it, officially!" in Season 5's Untucked?

This comment is one of my favorites, the other being (I think this was Untucked) Bianca Del Rio’s “Girl, if I wanted to come for you I'd come to your room at night and cut your loving wigs up."

Not a quote, but anytime on Untucked when Latrice Royal just watched other queens argue and throw shade and stared or perhaps interjected laughter, either way communicating that these bitches were going on about the most ridiculous poo poo and she was Done.

• Locked thread