Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

as we all know, c# is the least bad programming language, but backwards sys admins will only run systems on linxues. so what's the deal with mono? how do you turn a normal net app into a thing that runs on mono? i want to use webapi for a lil project but idk what the deal with mono is. or all that net core stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
its the kissing disease, op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mono is old and busted. use .net core instead.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

does .net core Just Work? looks like you can make webapi projects in it - that's a good sign!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Bloody posted:

does .net core Just Work? looks like you can make webapi projects in it - that's a good sign!

I think it's a new API, so you can't just take an old project and switch the framework to core. But if you're doing new stuff I think it's the way to go.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you should be writing server side swift instead

no, don’t

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
play framework looks pretty good. (to answer a question that wasnt the one you asked)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i used play once. when i deployed my first prototype to a server, it pegged the server cpu utilization at 100% for a day before the sysadmin noticed, killed it, and emailed me. nobody was using it at all, it got 1 request in the duration, it was just really bad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

play framework looks pretty good. (to answer a question that wasnt the one you asked)

it's not, though.

upgrading between play versions is nightmarish and there is constant churn in the api

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bloody posted:

as we all know, c# is the least bad programming language, but backwards sys admins will only run systems on linxues. so what's the deal with mono? how do you turn a normal net app into a thing that runs on mono? i want to use webapi for a lil project but idk what the deal with mono is. or all that net core stuff?

mono was pretty damned complete the last time i looked at it, but i don't know whether the project has a future now that microsoft is porting the "real" .net to linux

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's not, though.

upgrading between play versions is nightmarish and there is constant churn in the api

good to know, thanks.

what do you recommend for a not-lovely framework that works for microservices?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Emacs Headroom posted:

good to know, thanks.

i have been using scalatra for toy apps. it is almost pitifully simple, but i don't need anything more complex.

there is also a scala binding to dropwizard, which is kind of the "batteries included" picture for java

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Emacs Headroom posted:

good to know, thanks.

i’m honestly curious what java folks are using in general because i could live without c#’s niceties to get onto the jvm, but none of the web frameworks i’ve seen look as nice as asp.net :smith:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i should probably qualify that and say that i’ve had a (brief, admittedly) look at dropwizard, vertx, spring boot, and ninja.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

mono was pretty damned complete the last time i looked at it, but i don't know whether the project has a future now that microsoft is porting the "real" .net to linux

"Has ported", not "is porting." And yes, anything new should use .Net Core.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i dunno how anything works but my dot net core 2.0 web api toy app is up and running in some devops docker thing in an internal cloud or i don't even know. all i know is this suited my needs, thanks akadajet

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

jony neuemonic posted:

i should probably qualify that and say that i’ve had a (brief, admittedly) look at dropwizard, vertx, spring boot, and ninja.

there's microprofile now but you still need an appserver for that

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
You can combine it with Wine for ultimate power

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

dot net core Just Works on my windowses and linuxes

got vs code ide debugging c# cross platform console apps and web servers goin on

its all working great

ive abandoned python+sublime and embraced csharp+vscode

c# type safety and oop patterns and an IDE... this setup is a million times better than hacking with plangs in a text editor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Ator posted:

got vs code ide debugging c# cross platform console apps and web servers goin on

its all working great

c# type safety and oop patterns and an IDE... this setup is a million times better than hacking with plangs in a text editor

welcome to being a now uncool adult who are no longer "with it"

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Ator posted:

its all working great

just wait until you embrace visual studio my friend

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

jony neuemonic posted:

i’m honestly curious what java folks are using in general because i could live without c#’s niceties to get onto the jvm, but none of the web frameworks i’ve seen look as nice as asp.net :smith:

java has reached this weird spot in maturity where, yeah its been around so its now something that's pretty safe to build long-term apps with and the performance will be good and everything, but its also extremely uncool with the newer generation so they're plowing all their time into greenfield projects in completely different languages, and all the greybeards in the existing frameworks are pretty OK with the quirks and painpoints or they just are tied to really conservative API stability and the amount of greenfield projects within the JVM to get around this is pretty poor

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Emacs Headroom posted:

good to know, thanks.

asp.net webapi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Ator posted:

its all working great

congrats on becoming an adult

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
its nice to see youre hanging on shagger, since MSFT isnt

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/microsoft-spark-jobs/

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

Emacs Headroom posted:

its nice to see youre hanging on shagger, since MSFT isnt

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/microsoft-spark-jobs/

Take one of those engineer jobs at random and let us know how long it is until you're writing C#.

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003
Pretty sure they didn't port c# to the jvm, or reimplement spark for .net

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

https://github.com/Microsoft/Mobius

But, more importantly, projects get canceled and teams are shuffled incessantly.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

shame they didn't go with LINQ to Spark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emacs Headroom
Aug 2, 2003

Fiedler posted:

https://github.com/Microsoft/Mobius

But, more importantly, projects get canceled and teams are shuffled incessantly.

oh interesting

is it doing message passing to the jvm via the jni, like pyspark?

• Locked thread