Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Deleter
May 22, 2010

The tourist town of Morioh isn't particularly notable. People go to the big cities to get to their jobs. Tourists come here to swim, see the sights, eat the food, then go home to the big cities. To say that anything of note happens in Morioh town is a stretch. But the people love it here anyway - precisely because its nothing special. Besides, tourists bring money.

You've lived in Morioh most of your life, and things are about to get weirder than usual.

---

This is a JoJo's Bizzare Adventure themed game of Fate Accelerated. If you don't know what JoJo is, it's a manga/anime series where people use magic powers called Stands to beat each other up. Google it or something. Fate Accelerated is a simple version of that narrative focused game FATE.

I'm looking for 4 5 people to come join me on a weird-rear end adventure. We're gonna fight some people and uncover a conspiracy in a sleepy town. The game will be light-hearted generally but have some dark moments as contrast. We'll ignore the rest of the series' existence for the purposes of continuity or whatever. Recruitment is open for about a week - 29th Jan at the time of posting.

Stands
Stands., in universe, are spirits or souls that have some strange power associated with them. From simply being a strong fighter to controlling people when they get injured, Stand powers can range anywhere from altering reality to giving you a pep talk.

Mechanically, in this game, Stands are essentially packages of stunts, which come into play whenever you use your Stand. This serves a narrative function of requiring you to summon a Stand if needs be. If your Stand is restrained or hurt in any way, you may not be able to use any stunts tied to your Stand (following the fiction).

Example: During character creation, Jean Paul Polnareff got rid of most of his Refresh in order to tie five stunts to his Stand, Silver Chariot. In a fight with the Stand Ebony Devil, he is given the aspect "Blinded" as he's trapped under a bed, and thus he can't use some of his stunts as Silver Chariot can't see where his foe is. In order to regain their use, he rolls to Cleverly Overcome the aspect, and breaks a mirror so he can see Ebony Devil leaping around.

If you don't want your character to have a Stand just yet, you may start with less stunts and eventually get a Stand - we'll work it out.

Resources

Best of luck!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yo, sup! It's your girl, Lani Vegas! Comin' from Orlando to Morioh fo sho!

High Concept: Transfer Student from America

A girl like me sticks out like a sore thumb in a town like Morioh, I know. Well, my dad's job took him to S City a few years ago, so our whole family up and moved here to Japan. It was a lot at first, but now I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Even if I'm taller than everyone else here. Sometimes I still miss America, though.

Trouble: Japanese as a Second Language

Japanese culture is so much different from America! I've been here a bit so I've gotten a general handle on the language and such, but it feels like I'm walking on eggshells whenever I have to talk to strangers.

Aspect: Fastest Girl in Morioh

By the way, I'm the star of our school's track team! Nobody around's as fast on their feet as me! Is it cheating because I have longer legs? Well...shut up. And I'm not just good at sprinting! I'm a parkour master! I just...sometimes have a problem coming to a stop.

Aspect: Flirt's the Worst

Well, as you'd imagine, I'm pretty popular with the guys....and maybe some ladies. But.....geez, I can't handle that kind of attention! I get all blushy and nervous when someone flirts with me...it's super embarrassing!

Approaches:
Quick +3
Flashy +2
Forceful +2
Sneaky +1
Careful +1
Clever 0

Stunts:
Parkour Parkour Morioh: Because I'm the fastest girl in Morioh, I can use a fate point to gain +3 to quickly overcome when navigating the streets of Morioh

Stand: The Red Light District
Sin City: Because I can control neon, I can upgrade a boost to an aspect with a free invoke once per scene when acting at night.
Jet Grind Radio: Because TRLD can unravel itself, I gain a +2 when using it to quickly attack someone from a distance.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 24, 2018

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I like Jojo, I like FAE, I'm down.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Curses. On the one hand, I really wanna participate in this. One the other, buying the dice and character sheet is gonna leave me short on cash. Hmmm...I can make it back when I get my paycheck. I'm down for this. The time spent coming up with a character will keep me occupied until the dice arrive.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 23, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You don't gotta buy anything, dog. It's cool. We got bots to roll dice.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

You don't gotta buy anything, dog. It's cool. We got bots to roll dice.

Phew. In that case I'm gonna start brainstorming a character/Stand.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Not quite happy with this yet but its midnight so I'll :justpost: for now and do some work on it tomorrow.

Stand name: Private Eyes
Stand user: Hayashida Daigo

Stand abilities/stunts:
Private Eyes can put an eye on any object so long as its about the size of the palm of my hand or larger, and the user is aware of what the eyes see. Private Eyes is a very weak stand, and as such has a very long range that it can manifest from Daigo; it can also manifest anywhere it has placed an eye.
They see your every move: +2 to Quietly Create an advantage when observing someone.
You can't escape my: Once per game session, may teleport to anywhere Private Eyes has previously placed an eye.

High Concept: Middling Upperclassmen
Hayashida Daigo, by all appearances, seems to be your model student. Near perfect grades, popular with his classmates, and always willing to help the lower grades. Of course, he cheated to get the grades, only became popular as a side effect of his cheating methods, and the underclassmen usually teach him more than he teaches them when he helps them with schoolwork.

Trouble: I Wish I Could Unsee That
When he initially got his stand Daigo was eager to try out his new abilities and see the world through new points of view. While he initially enjoyed living vicariously through his classmates, it wasn't long until he saw all too closely some of the darker moments of life within Morioh. He has since been much more cautious with the use of his powers on people while also trying to help some of his more troubled classmates.

Aspect: Generous Reputation
Initially, Daigo started giving as a means of expanding his stand's network of eyes, but that quickly lead to a reputation that he felt he had to live up to. Now he often carries a variety of small toys, candies, and knick-knacks to give away to maintain his image. He'd rather not have the attention, but seeing people disappointed feels so much worse than just giving them what they want.

Aspect: Always Cheat the System
With a few innocuous gifts to his teachers and classmates, Daigo has been consistently at the top of his class through his stand's spying ability, using it to copy homework and answer sheets. His stand's uses extend beyond the classroom however; he's well known for his incredible luck when it comes to gacha machines and opening card packs.

Approaches:
Careful +3
Sneaky +2
Clever +2
Quick +1
Flashy +1
Forceful 0

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 24, 2018

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Potential interest post, gonna have to look at some of the resources first

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Interested, coming back in a bit with a character. Don't have a whole lot of experience with FATE in play, so I might do with some help in designing stunts.

Edit: Updated with Stunts and some tweaks: namely swapping Flashy and Sneaky values, and specifying, since it will probably come up, how much stuff Sakuya can carry with her when teleporting. That technically includes what she's wearing and whatever's in her pockets.

Edit: Second draft of Stunts.

Edit: Minor milestone achieved, Maiden's Heart Aspect changed to Big Sister.
Old Aspect: A Maiden's Heart
Sakuya knows she's dim, crude, and violent. She makes no apologies, but that doesn't mean she doesn't care about how people think of her. Her fellow students at Budogaoka High largely split between people who are scared or alarmed by her and people who admire her club performance and picking fights with cruel and violent bullies. But a hero or a secret weapon isn't a peer. Sakuya has made comrades and admirers, but not really friends, people she can talk to about her enormous dog and girl's mangas, and she doesn't have the confidence to drop her bravado and simply be vulnerable with someone. She's moved by beautiful things, nobility and innocence, but seldom has a way to express it without breaking something. (Often literally.)

Stand Master: Izumi Sakuya
Stand Name: 『FLASHDANCE』

High Concept: Delinquent Nowhere Girl
Sakuya stopped applying herself in school a good while back. She's not booksmart or insightful, her family doesn't have money or connections, and her primary accomplishment is being so into fighting that she's known as the karate club's secret weapon. (Not its star; she's suspended or absent too often to be as reliable as a club star should be.) She's loud, crass, uninhibited, powerful, violent, and a little stupid. She hasn't thought much about where she's going in life, and she'll probably handle it the same way she always has, by getting her hands dirty blindly scrabbling until she finds something in her hand. Her favorite things include her enormous dog, juicy hamburgers, girl's manga, violence and yelling.

Aspect: Big Sister
Sakuya is the kind of delinquent who'll stop in the rain for an ownerless kitten in a cardboard box. She puts up a tough front, but those who come to know her recognize she has a surprising amount of concern for the well-being of others. As long as she can find a way to maintain her tough image while doing it, she'll actively step in to resolve misunderstandings, look after idiots who don't know what's good for them, and make sure they don't get into trouble they're not ready for. She cooks pretty well, and she cleans on weekends at Mifune's arcade. So it's not always just delinquent slang when some kids around her call her "big sister," even if she has no real siblings.

Aspect: A Demon's Temper
Adrenaline feels good. It's cathartic. It's good exercise. It's fun. Sakuya excels at club tournaments when she's not suspended from them, but it's not a sport to her. Fighting is how she vents her constantly simmering temper, and she'll take nearly any excuse to do it, whether it's outrage at the mistreatment of a good person, indignation at being disrespected by someone's face she doesn't like, or just wholly overreacting. She feels better afterward.

Trouble: An Empty Head
Sakuya is not clever or insightful. She doesn't think ahead or ponder the inner life of those around her. She lives in the moment, and the solution she prefers to a problem is the first one she thinks of, which also tends to be the last one she thinks of.

Forceful +3, Flashy and Quick +2, Clever and Sneaky +1, Careful +0

Stunts:
Flash Step: Because I can repeatedly teleport, pushing my Stand's range forward, I get a +2 when I Quickly overcome trouble by maneuvering and covering ground.
Kora Kora: Because I capitalize on openings with strikes from both my body and my Stand, when I successfully hit an opponent within my physical reach in combat I can pay a fate point to shift the hit +2.
Hacky Sack: Because I can kick things around from a distance in unexpected directions, once per scene I can introduce +2 opposition to sensitive physical maneuvers.

Flashdance is a close-range power Stand with the ability of "displacement of motion through space." It can instantly relocate both itself and its user within its effective range without passing through the space between (but not one or the other independently, and not different directions or distances: the relocated Stand and user appear at the same relative distance and direction from each other as they were at their departure point). When relocating, if the user is touching an object of her mass or less, she can bring it with her. Flashdance can also relocate and reorient the momentum of Flashdance or the user. By relocating its momentum, Flashdance can do such things as inflict the impact of blows without actually touching its opponent, "fling" itself sideways rather than falling, and touch an object from a different direction than its hands approach it.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 21, 2018

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

This is what I got so far. Still haven't found a picture that nails my character's attitude. If anything doesn't work or gel with the system just let me know.
Stand Name:Bass Cannon

Stand User: Mishima Kisaki

Stand Image:
User Image:
Stand ability:
Auditory Assault:The Stand's sonic abilities allow Mishima a +2 bonus to Forcefully overcoming against an opponent Misima is in close quarters with.
Earbuds: Bass Cannon's discs can grant Mishima a +2 to Quietly Creating Advantages while he's undected.

High Concept:Yakuza Brat
Mishima is living in Morioh because his father, a high-ranking Yakuza officer,sent him there to keep him safe from his family's enemies.This wealth and privilege has made him rather popular at the local school, in spite (or perhaps ) of his violent attitude and disrespect for authority. In fact,some students look up to him as a protector figure.

Trouble:I Fought the Law
Mishima has earned the ire of most of Morioh's meager police force on several occasions-partially due to picking fights with students and beating them senseless. As a result, the police constantly suspects him of wrongdoings even when he's not actually doing anything,which isn't helped by the fact that his father is on several wanted lists. He has also earned the hatred of several failed politicians due to his seemingly magical ability to obtain audio recordings of their misdeeds.

Aspect:My Fists are a Tool of Justice
In spite of his attitude,Mishima despises people who abuse those weaker than them. This has resulted in many a trip to the principal's office and even the police station. He is very skilled at fistfighting,mostly due to his upbringing. He uses these skills to, as mentioned, pummel people. But only the ones he considers to be bullies.

Aspect: One Percent
With his family's wealth, Mishima has purchased many sets of expensive shirts, jackets and shoes. In spite of his love of fighting and enforcing his own "justice", he is rather...picky with the clothes he wears. He has thus gained a reputation as a big spender who is also a diva, much to his dismay. This does however allow him to use his wealth quite openly without anyone getting too suspicious.

Aspect:Well-Connected
Due to his clan's widespread reach, Mishima knows several yakuza informants in Morioh, as well as other underworld connections. He mostly keeps his distance (the police are suspicious enough of him already) but he occasionally goes to them for juicy information on, say, a crooked politician.

Approaches:
Forceful+3
Clever and Flashy+2
Quick and Sneaky +1
Careful+0

Stunt:School of Hard Knocks
Mishima can use a fate point to gain +3 to forcefully overcome in a combat situation. This can only be used once per combat.

Edit: Yes, I know the image I used was from another anime. But I couldn't find anyone else whose look screamed "hotheaded teenager"

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Mar 20, 2018

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kamiyama Hiromu (神山 尋夢)

High Concept: Reluctant Heir to the Shrine

Once the shrine was the center of life to the people of Morioh. But as the town expanded and modernized people began to come to it less and less for guidance and prayer. Many locals forgot it, and the new residents never knew of it. Today it seems like it's more often visited by tourists then residents.

Hiromu sure wishes she could forget it. As the only daughter of the family that runs it she's stuck in the position of inheriting it. Her entire life is bound to to it, and she'll be in this town for the rest of her life. The worst part is that she's good at it.

Touble: Got an Image to Maintain

The Shrine is a respected center of the community, even if they never show up beyond New Years and Tanabata, so everybody knows who Hiromu is. They expect to be polite, well spoken, intellegent, and gentle. She can never just tell those annoying kids to go away. She can't afford to slack off at school. She can't ever just ignore the principal prattling on about how good for the community she is.

Aspect: Spiritually Senstive

Hiromu is good at her job. So she has a sixth sense for feeling spirtual elements. Kami are everywhere, and she can detect and be infulenced by the spiritual mood. Of course, she's spiturally senstive so enough presense can push her away or even cause pain.

Aspect: Drive for the Outside

She really, really loves cars. As far as she's concerned the car is the symbol of potential future freedom. She's read up all about how to tinker with them, how to work them, and she even has a driver's licence. Now, if only she had a car of her own...

Aspect: A Chance to cut loose!

Crossing the Frame's power and strength grants Hiromu a taste of the freedom she so desires, as such when using her Stand's power she tends to let it loose and has it act a bit recklessly, after all nobody can connect its strange actions to Kamiyama Hiromu, right?

Approaches:
Careful +3
Clever +2
Flashy +2
Forceful +1
Sneaky +1
Quick +0

Stand: Crossing the Frame.

A stand with the power to enter and interact with photographs. Crossing the Frame can grab objects from and generally interact with the real world areas that are shown in the picture, but can not cross over the edge of the photo nor can it go so far into the background that it would not be visible in the photo any longer.

Stunt: I take (photos of) what I need.

Because CtF can pull items out of photographs, once per scene Hiromu can produce a desired object by pulling it out of a photo.

Stunt: Photogentic Jumping.

Because CtF can slip into photos, Hiromu can gain a +2 when Cleverly Creating an Advantage in an area where there are photos around.

Stunt: Don't hold anything back!

Because Hiromu let's CtF go a bit wild she gains a +3 when spending a Fate point on Forcibly Attacking.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2018

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Gojun Ryuko, 2nd Year Highschooler at Budo-Ga Oka Middle & High School

Aspects:

High Concept: Hot-Blooded Honor Student

You might think that one of the top scoring students in Budo-Ga Oka would be more... demure. Refined. A Yamato Nadeshiko, if you will. Ryuko is none of those things. She's smart, self-assured, and riding a hair-trigger temper with the bite to back up her bark. The delinquent crew has learned to stay well out of her way, especially when it's exam season.

Aspect: "We covered this in class last week, you know."

It's amazing what all gets covered in Morioh's schools. Obscure Japanese word-play The chemical formula for dynamite? Oh, yeah, Mr. Takanawa spent about fifteen minutes on it in a wild digression last week. As such, Ryuko tends to find herself with just the right tidbit to help contribute to the situation. Still... it is second-hand knowledge. Who knows if her teachers were right?

Aspect: "A troublemaker? With those grades? Not likely!"

Despite her tendency to go off on people, it's amazing what people will make excuses for when you have the scholastic cred to back it up. As far as the townsfolk are concerned, she's a perfect little angel. It does, admittedly, hurt her attempts to throw her weight around outside of school. Who's afraid of an honor student?

Trouble: Buried By Expectations

When you get right down to it, there are only so many hours in the day. Between club activities, studying for big exams, or simply whatever ill-conceived promise she made to a classmate, Ryuko has a tough time carving out time for herself... let alone time to deal with stand-user shenanigans. Is it any mystery why she's so ornery all the time?

Approaches:
Clever +3
Forceful and Flashy +2
Quick and Careful +1
Sneaky +0

Stunts:
「The Death of Ignorance」— Because Ryuko is a hot-blooded honor student, once per scene she can create an advantage related to knowledge with one free invocation.

「3 6 C H A M B E R S」

A collection of ten highly armed, highly lethal humanoids. Their lack of reality-altering power is balanced out by the physical capabilities of each. Despite each having a distinct,
exaggerated personality, they work flawlessly in concert to protect Ryuko. They seem to view her as another member of the collective and often refer to teaching her some profound「secret」when she is ready.

Stunts:
「Bring Da Ruckus」— Because 36 Chambers is equipped with a wide variety of weapons, they get +2 to Forcefully Attack en masse.
Specifically I see this as being when they can hit the enemy from all sides. In an enclosed location or one where the opponent can limit angles of attack, it wouldn't apply.
「Protect Ya Neck」— Because 36 Chambers is a swarm-type stand and doesn't transmit as much damage back to Ryuko, they get +2 to Flashily Defend against attacks that don't target a wide area.
So punch rushes don't do much, but something like sound blasts or explosions or... pretty much everything that could hit more than one would bypass the bonus.
「Ain't Nuthin to F' Wit」— Because 36 Chambers can attack from an opponent's blind spots with ease, they can use a FP to inflict a 2-stress shift on an opponent.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 4, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Real happy with this response! I'll have the discord up soon. In the meantime, here's some advice/stand building for peoples (since stunts are pretty tricky to build even in FAE).

sirtommygunn, you should try and fit the stunts to the template the rules/SRD provides. Private Eyes is a pretty cool concept, so I think its stunts would look a little like this:

quote:

They see your every move: +2 to Quietly Create an advantage when observing someone.
You can't escape my: Once per game session, may teleport to anywhere Private Eyes has previously placed an eye.

Of course feel free to alter this as you see fit. I can see using Fate Points to establish where you've placed eyes to teleport to as a cool thing to do.

I Am Just a Box, I can see quite a few ways to show off Flashdance through stunts! A pretty simple +2 to Quickly do something (defend and attack most likely) is the easiest. Since your description involves moving to catch things or dealing more damage, you could also spend a Fate Point to get an effect straight away. I'm thinking something like instantly retieving an object, or automatically do a 2-shift hit when you attack - this might be a once per session thing. I can see a lot of applications for this, so if you have more than 3 good ideas for stunts, you can drop some of your Refresh to have more if you want.

If you need some ideas, the Fate Stunt-Maker can generate the vague structure of a stunt for you - but it's focused on the more complicated Fate Core, so be careful with this!

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
Question: I'm sitting on two character concepts, one for a high school student and one for an older person (i.e. an employed adult). Given that all of the other applications so far have been high schoolers, and that it might therefore be difficult to frame an adult into scenes, should I scrap the latter?

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 23, 2018

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Gonna app a Zeppeli here.

Andrea Zeppeli

High Concept: Adept of the Spin

My father is an expat working at a hospital in Yokohama. While he isn't home very often, he does take the time to teach me about a special gift that kickstarted his career as a neurosurgeon: the Spin. Naturally, I am eternally grateful that such a blessing was bestowed upon my bloodline, and I have resolved to dedicate my life to the nurturing and betterment of others with my gift. But, seeing as I am not a stand user myself, I have to admit I feel a bit in over my head when my friends face danger. I cannot even see the enemy "stands"! But what am I to do? Cast my friends aside when they need me most, just because it gets difficult?

Never! That is not the Zeppeli way! I trust them with my life, and I will prove that their trust in me is equally well-founded!

Trouble: I need to prove myself

It is difficult as a foreigner to take part in Japanese life. Even though I was raised here for most of my childhood, I still feel like an outsider at times. While I know my friends would never think less of me for my occasional slip-up, my instinct to assert myself as their equal has landed me in tricky spots more often than I care to admit...

Aspect:

Aspect:

Approaches:
Flashy +1
Clever +3
Quick +2
Careful +0
Forceful +2
Sneaky +1

[WIP]

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Poltergrift posted:

Question: I'm sitting on two character concepts, one for a high school student and one for an older person (i.e. an employed adult). Given that all of the other applications so far have been high schoolers, should I scrap the latter?

There's plenty of older Stand users in Morioh, and if nothing else I can set it in a time period where it's easier for the two groups to interact like summer holidays or something. Besides, none of the high schoolers in Diamond is Unbreakable were ever in school anyway!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

So, how are you gonna pick who to take for the quest? Because I'm pretty sure more than 4 people have applied.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Mifune Io

Aspect: Owner of the One Arcade In Town

Bought it quite a few years back, and I've been keeping the old girl afloat on teenagers' spare change ever since. Kind of retro, sure, and we're always just barely in the black, but it's a labor of love, and we get a steady stream of kids with nowhere else to spend the day and a few hundred yen in their pockets.

High Concept: Everyone's Cool Aunt Io

Y'know, we've got a surprisingly large population of oddball kids here in good old Morioh-cho. Decent, for the most part, good hearts, but they've got a lot of youth to misspend and not a lot of direction and next to no role models. And they're not going to their parents about their problems, most of the time. Part of being a teenager. So I lend an ear when I can, try to be the kind of person they can come to with the problems they can't talk about at home. Pitch in if it's dire. Sometimes, having one adult in their corner can make or break a kid.

Trouble: Can't Leave Them Alone

...yeah, as nice as that sounds, I know I can't drop everything for them. Or shouldn't, anyway. Bills, files, employees, the local Chamber of Commerce and that one Town Beautification Committee guy who always gives me the stink-eye... I'm an adult, with adult responsibilities that don't go away just 'cause I need to find a lost dog or give menacing looks to some guy who should know better than to extort money from students. But I can't just leave them alone, you know? And it'll come back to bite me sooner or later.

Aspect: Misspent Youth

Might be hard for you to believe it about such a respectable member of the community, but my childhood wasn't such a bed of roses. Fought, drank, hotwired motorcycles and ran them off the highway... not so much a delinquent. More a time bomb. It took a pretty bad accident to get me on the straight and narrow path, and folks with long memories might still know me as Mifune Io, the girl your mother warned you about.

Approaches:
Flashy +3
Clever +2
Quick +2
Careful +1
Forceful +1
Sneaky +0

Stand:

「E V E R Y • B R E A T H • Y O U • T A K E」

Oh, that thing. Yeah, I'm not really sure what it is. All I know is I wanted to get that cigarette stink out of the arcade, and suddenly that diving helmet was dragging it all in and made a neat little ball I could toss in the trash. I figure, whatever it is, s'not doing any harm, right?

Every Breath You Take has the power to compress gases into solids. Gases which are compressed become a gauzy, jelly-like substance which becomes more opaque and thicker as more gas is added; larger amounts take more time and create larger amounts of that jelly-gas. (When not maintained by the Stand's user, jelly-gas gradually reverts to its natural state.) The denser the gas, the more solid matter Every Breath can generate, but the harder it is to pack into small spaces.

The Stand appears as a diving helmet at first, but can condense large amounts of denser gases into a pseudo-body for itself -- one which it controls, but which doesn't transfer damage to the user unless the helmet is attacked (since the body is just a bunch of gas shaped like a Stand). Additionally, it can explosively decompress jelly-gas to generate small explosions, or to give motive force to objects. In particular, its punch rush -- that is, the standard Stand method of finishing a fight -- is fueled by jets of air.

Stunts:
Discotheque of Gibraltar: Because I can keep my cool in the face of violence, I can take +2 to Flashily defend when I stand my ground and dare someone to try their luck.
You Think That's Air You're Breathing?: Because EBYT can remove oxygen from the environment, and people kind of need that to breathe, I can inflict a mild consequence once per scene due to asyphxiation or lightheadedness.
Jumping Jack Flash: Because EBYT can return solidified gases to normal, hard, I can take +2 to Quickly attack when I make coagulated gas burst in someone's face.

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 22, 2018

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Currently a work in progress. Will include additional background details over time. I confess I know very little about the universe and may need help. Advice and criticism is welcome. :)

Name: undecided

Clever : +3
Flashy : +2
Sneaky : +2
Careful : +1
Quick : +1
Forceful: +0

High Concept: Sycophantic Prophetic Socratic Junkie Wannabe

Aspect: Adolescent on a Phone

Aspect: Got a Lot to Learn

Trouble: M.O.N.E.Y

Stand: Vintage Chocolate

Takes two forms; either an elaborate black gun, or of a tall woman dressed in black from head to toe; her face is obscured by her long hair. Vintage Chocolate as a woman generates a gray smoke that follows wherever she goes, not only to hide her presence, but to leave peoples' minds in a happy haze. As a gun, it packs a powerful punch but can only shoot once; 'reloading' requires Vintage Chocolate to shift to her other form and to wait.

Stunts coming soon.

Think About How to Think
Guns in our Petticoat
Think we Better Go

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 25, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

So, how are you gonna pick who to take for the quest? Because I'm pretty sure more than 4 people have applied.

Good question! I normally just pick a combination of characters whom I think will interact best. This might take a while as I didn't expect such an enthusiastic response to this, so I'll try and devise something to help me pick the final group. Stay tuned!

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The Deleter posted:

Real happy with this response! I'll have the discord up soon. In the meantime, here's some advice/stand building for peoples (since stunts are pretty tricky to build even in FAE).

sirtommygunn, you should try and fit the stunts to the template the rules/SRD provides. Private Eyes is a pretty cool concept, so I think its stunts would look a little like this:

Of course feel free to alter this as you see fit. I can see using Fate Points to establish where you've placed eyes to teleport to as a cool thing to do.

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions, I think I'll go with the stunts you made. I was trying to get my thoughts out on what it does before translating that into stunts and such later, but I think you've hit the nail on the head as far as what I was going for.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Placeholder, will probably be back to this tomorrow or something.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

Posted a first draft of stunt ideas for Sakuya and Flashdance. Still getting the hang of the design points here, and I think a lot of Flashdance's power is simply in the narrative context of how it can act, so the stunts themselves are not necessarily as flavorful as unique Stands like Crossing the Frame, and a little bland in a way I'm not sure is good for its simplicity or bad for its imbalanced focus. (Of course, there's also something to be said for imbalance: Sakuya is already a character who excels at direct confrontations and flounders when faced with more esoteric encounters. She's got a protagonist Stand: if it can't be punched she starts having to bend backwards to deal with it.) Feedback and countersuggestions are welcome.

(I'm assuming the classic Jojo punch-rush is more Forceful than Quick?)

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Here's stunts! I'm not sure how happy I am with them, so... if you've got suggestions, or anything better I could do with these, I'd appreciate feedback.

Discotheque of Gibraltar: Because I can keep my cool in the face of violence, I can take +2 to Flashily defend when I stand my ground and dare someone to try their luck.
You Think That's Air You're Breathing?: Because EBYT can remove oxygen from the environment, and people kind of need that to breathe, I can inflict a mild consequence once per scene due to asyphxiation or lightheadedness.
Jumping Jack Flash: Because EBYT can return solidified gases to normal, hard, I can take +2 to Quickly attack when I make coagulated gas burst in someone's face.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

I'm definitely interested in this, I'll try to come up with something by tomorrow!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Work is slow so here's some more advice and stuff.

Poltergrift posted:

Here's stunts! I'm not sure how happy I am with them, so... if you've got suggestions, or anything better I could do with these, I'd appreciate feedback.

I like these. I might be a little worried about "dealing a mild consequence", but it's not the only way to do damage and presumably a lot of conflicts in FATE are presumed to involve one side yielding at some point. I don't have any suggestions for these.

I Am Just a Box posted:

Stunts:
Flash Step: Because I can teleport instantly, I get a +2 when I Quickly defend in combat.
Kora Kora: Because I strike with overwhelming fury, I get a +2 when I Forcefully attack in combat.
Watch Your Step: Because I can kick things around from a distance in unexpected directions, once per scene I can introduce +2 opposition to sensitive physical maneuvers.

quote:

Posted a first draft of stunt ideas for Sakuya and Flashdance. Still getting the hang of the design points here, and I think a lot of Flashdance's power is simply in the narrative context of how it can act, so the stunts themselves are not necessarily as flavorful as unique Stands like Crossing the Frame, and a little bland in a way I'm not sure is good for its simplicity or bad for its imbalanced focus. (Of course, there's also something to be said for imbalance: Sakuya is already a character who excels at direct confrontations and flounders when faced with more esoteric encounters. She's got a protagonist Stand: if it can't be punched she starts having to bend backwards to deal with it.) Feedback and countersuggestions are welcome.

(I'm assuming the classic Jojo punch-rush is more Forceful than Quick?)

I think Flash Step and Kora Kora need slightly more specific triggers - as written, they'll work as flat +2 bonuses, which is essentially a stat boost that works in the best circumstances for them. You'll notice that the example stuns on the Fate SRD have mildly restrictive circumstances in which they can be used. A "protagonist stand" like this would probably have a very short range (like Star Platinum and Crazy Diamond), so something like "...in combat against someone I could touch" could work.

The JoJo rush punch could work off of either Quick or Forceful - it depends what stat you want to use more. I put the example Star Platinum as using Quick but it's a wash.

VolticSurge posted:

Auditory Assault:Bass Cannon is able to fire a devastating short-range sonic blast.

Earbuds: Bass Cannon can separate the discs from its hands and place them anywhere the user wishes. While this renders it unable to use its sonic attacks, the discs pick up any audio and play it back to the user.

If you need suggestions for stunts for these abilities, I would probably suggest some kind of short-range combat bonus like I suggested to I Am Just A Box above, and a bonus to Quietly Creating Advantages when listening whilst hidden. The Fate Point spend for three might need a limit to once per scene but I think works in context.

No further comments at the moment. I'm going to try and get the discord up later today so I can provide more feedback for people!

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011

The Deleter posted:

I think Flash Step and Kora Kora need slightly more specific triggers - as written, they'll work as flat +2 bonuses, which is essentially a stat boost that works in the best circumstances for them. You'll notice that the example stuns on the Fate SRD have mildly restrictive circumstances in which they can be used. A "protagonist stand" like this would probably have a very short range (like Star Platinum and Crazy Diamond), so something like "...in combat against someone I could touch" could work.

Ha, funny thing is I initially phrased it something like that and then went back and reformatted to simplify and follow the FAE booklet's sample stunt format. A range like Star Platinum or Crazy Diamond is definitely what I had in mind for Flashdance (although given its ability to zip around within that range, and therefore recenter said range, it's somewhat deceptive – but Jojo battles are very much in the mode where needing a second to flash-stutter forward before your fist can reach is absolutely an opening that can be taken advantage of).

Edit: Stunts second draft up, changing up Kora Kora from a +2 approach bonus to a fate point for a +2 shift, partially just for a little more variety, and partially because it's more interesting to go in deeper to highlight particular beats in a fight than just apply an offensive bonus to a combat approach. Watch Your Step has been renamed to Hacky Sack just to avoid repetition of "step" in stunt names, unchanged otherwise.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 26, 2018

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Takeshi Taro
"Fabric and follicles are my bread and butter."

Approaches:
Quick +3
Clever +2
Flashy +2
Careful +1
Sneaky +1
Forceful +0

High Concept: Up-and-Coming Fashionista

A first-year to Budo-ga Oka Middle & High School, Ta-kun has been interested in looking his best and trying to make a great impression with looks ever since he learned of "Sunday Best" and wanted to look his Sunday Best for the entire week. While his parents were initially leery of the idea, the fact that friends and fellow students are willing to pay little Ta-kun for a shave and a haircut over going to a hair salon assuaged most of those concerns, and was there truly anything wrong with a bunch of high-schoolers looking like young adults instead of ratty teens?

Trouble: The Fashion Police

Unfortunately, this obsession with fashion has given Takeshi a very bad habit of stopping whatever he's doing to solve what he declares "fashion emergencies," whether the 'victim' wants it or not. Besides the fact that it's rude as can be to just declare that someone is looking terrible and needs a fix immediately, there's also the fact that between this and constant maintenance to try to keep everything as clean as possible on a minute to minute basis, he often spent more on supplies than he received in payment from clients.

Aspect: Barber-Client Relations

There's far more to being a stylist than being skilled at their craft, and Ta-kun understands it perfectly. A stylist is a confidant, an advisor, there with you through the good and the bad, and, most importantly, makes you feel like a new person. To that end, some would say Ta-kun is like a doting parent with their clients, a very patient and understanding fellow willing to talk about whatever they wish to say, and this transfers over to the rest of his social life. If you have a monologue, they'd be all too happy to hear it.

Aspect: Like a newborn baby

Given their flowery choice of career, it should be no surprise that Ta-kun has soft and delicate skin and a rather optimistic and childlike outlook on life. While this certainly can mean they can find themselves taken for a ride by people who'd never fool a more worldly sort, in other situations, ignorance is bliss, or can indeed shield one from the cold abyss of reality. It also certainly makes them out to look incapable of causing trouble, despite their 'hobby' and newfound Stand creating problems all their own.

「O V E R • T H E • R A I N B O W」

An extraordinarily fast humanoid stand, capable of closing distances near-instantly, although what it does once in range is something less-than lethal: with its' fast hands, it styles and redresses the target in mere seconds, switching out clothing, accessories, altering hair length, hair style, hair color, applying make-up, even adding accessories and footwear.

Stunt: Fashion Ninja. Because my Stand can provide instant makeovers, once per scene I can apply the Situation Aspect [Extreme Makeover] to a target.

Stunt: Fast Hands. My Stand's extreme speed gives it a +1 to Quickly deflect attacks.

Stunt: The Tiniest of Details. Because my Stand can make extremely subtle changes, I can spend a FATE point to retroactively declare I'd placed an identifying feature or item on a target without their knowing.

Unknown Quantity fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 27, 2018

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
The discord is up! Come visit us in Morio Cho! And get better critique of your stunts and what not.

I may end entries on Sunday as I've been getting a fair amount and need a little extra time to make picks. Since I'm in GMT timezone, this gives you tonight and tomorrow to finish up if you haven't yet!

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

The Deleter posted:

If you need suggestions for stunts for these abilities, I would probably suggest some kind of short-range combat bonus like I suggested to I Am Just A Box above, and a bonus to Quietly Creating Advantages when listening whilst hidden. The Fate Point spend for three might need a limit to once per scene but I think works in context.

No further comments at the moment. I'm going to try and get the discord up later today so I can provide more feedback for people!

Alright, modified my character sheet. I think that's better than it was before.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Good news everyone! Due to the high quality of apps we've got, I'll be taking an additional app! This brings the total to five players! Remember, sign ups end tomorrow night!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Alright, folks! Your time is up. Here's the casting our Duwang Gang;
  • I Am Just a Box as Izumi Sakuya and her Stand, 『FLASHDANCE』.
  • VolticSurge as Mishima Kisaki and his Stand, 『BASS CANNON』.
  • Dr Pepper as Kamiyama Hiromu and her Stand, 『CROSSING THE FRAME』.
  • Tricky as Gojun Ryuko and her Stand, 『36 CHAMBERS』.
  • Poltergrift as Io Mifune and her Stand, 『EVERY BREATH YOU TAKE』.

Thanks to all who applied! This was tricky to decide on, so don't feel bad if you didn't get in. Feel free to spectate in Discord if you have it. For those who did, you're probably already in the Discord. The thread for the game will be up shortly, so hang in there!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Thread is up! Have a good time!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
We have lost one player to the trials of real life. So I'm looking for a replacement! You got three days to throw up an app and I will pick whoever looks coolest. You can reapply with old apps if you have any. I'll restore the link to the Discord shortly. Get to it!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 27, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Lani's there, you see her.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Torakichi Nishiki, Third Year Highschool student.

High Concept: Geeky Class Representative
Torakichi is every teacher's dream. He's smart, respectful, ambitious, driven, follows rules to a fault, and is never late or tardy, barring sickness. His parents adore him as well. He isn't as popular with the student body, because of his mediocre social skills, but he tries his best. However, he also is a bit of an otaku.

Aspect: Strategy Beats Brute Force
Sometimes, the best solution is not to scream "ORAORAORAORA" while beating the poo poo out of a foe. Torakichi understands that the simplest solution probably will also be the most anticipated one, and so plans accordingly. But while Tora can come up with good plans, getting his friends to act on them can be another thing entirely. Some plans to against other's principles, other plans ask things of his allies's skill sets that they can't do.

Aspect: Cool Head, Calm Face
Tora has a great poker face, due to some bullying he had in his younger years. Insults, exhaustion, jabs, hunger, taunts, worries, even pain and pressure just seem to roll off his back like drops of water-which helps when you're trying to intimidate others, inspire others or push through something. But just because OTHERS don't see what he's feeling doesn't mean that he isn't feeling them. At least once, Tora's collapsed from exhaustion while seeming perfectly normal up to that point.

Trouble: Pride Cometh Before A Fall
Torakichi knows that he's smart. He knows his Stand is strong. He knows that he makes good plans. But he overestimated his own abilities sometimes, and when an error lies on his shoulders, he tends to shift blame or make excuses. And when he doesn't do that, he beats himself up for letting someone get hurt, or a clue slipping out of his fingers, or misjudging how a variable impacted something.

Stand: Danger! High Voltage

Stats:
Power: B
Speed: C
Range: B
Precision: A
Durability: E
Potential: A

Danger! High Voltage (D!HV or DHV for short) is an electricity-based Stand. DHV can launch blasts of electricity from the palms of it's hands of variable power-anywhere from a small stock of static electricity to a lightning bolt. It also can keep the electricity on it's body to punch or kick with. However, the Stand itself needs electricity to use this, by absorbing it from electronic devices. On the Stand's back is a gauge that has 10 bars. As DHV discharges electricity, the bars fade away. Torakichi has a minor honor system in place-he tends to only drain batteries he buys to recharge, plugged-in devices that require a cable to work or directly from wall sockets, as he doesn't want to deprive people of their cars and game devices and phones, but he is capable of breaking this rule if it's a desperate enough situation or the person with the device is fighting him.

Approaches:
Clever: 3
Careful, Sneaky: 2
Flashy, Quick: 1
Forceful: 0

Stunts:
Thunder Sniper: Because Torakichi has a head for math and D!HV's lightning bolts have good range, Torasuke gets +2 to Carefully Attacking at a range longer than 20 meters.
A Head For Variables: Because Torakichi is highly analytical, he gains +2 to Cleverly Create Advantages by analysing the environment for a possible useful item or factor.
Battery: Because D!HV can drain electricity from electronic items, once per session, Torakichi can spend a Fate Point to say he drained an object's electricity to either let his Stand attack again or to prevent the object from working.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
After careful deliberation, I've decided that Waffleman's Lani Vegas is more of what I'm looking for. Come on in, the discord link is refreshed in the OP and we're good to go.

• Locked thread