Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Chances are pretty good you've heard of Warcraft III. Hell, chances are you've probably played it. So I don't need to waste too much time introducing it. So let me just shamelessly quote from Wikipedia instead...

Wikipedia posted:

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos is a high fantasy real-time strategy video game developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment, and was released in July 2002. It is the second sequel to Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, and it is the third game set in the Warcraft fictional universe.

Good? Good.

Do I need any familiarity with the previous titles to enjoy this?

NOPE! As impenetrable as this franchise's story and lore can be, Warcraft 3 is pretty self contained. Here's all you need to know... there's orcs, there's humans, and they don't like each other very much. Great, you're caught up insofar as the game story is concerned.

I'll try to cover additional details as necessary, but that's the broad strokes of things. I'm also sure that no small amount of people will be chomping at the bit to fill in additional backstory details that I miss or gloss over. There's enough dumbass story to go around.

Speaking of Story (and spoilers)...

While it is a strategy game first and foremost, it does have a story. So please don't be a dick. Don't spoil what's coming up. That's like 90% of the point of this thread, to discuss the story as it fits in with the franchise story as a whole.

Wait, we're going to be discussing lore?

Yep! There used to be a time when I would devour every scrap of knowledge I could about this dumbass fictional universe. What better way to put all those wasted hours to work than for the edification of strangers on the Internet?

Well, what kind of LP is this going to be?

Screenshots, with light narrative elements. If you're familiar with Azzur's LP of the first game, imagine that but with less artwork, and using characters that exist in universe.

The Updates

Prologue - Exodus of the Horde

Chapter I: The Prophecy & Thrall's Vision
Chapter II: Chasing Visions
Chapter III: Departures

Human Campaign - The Scourge of Lordaeron

Chapter IV: The Warning
Chapter V: The Defense of Strahnbrad
Chapter VI: Blackrock and Roll
Chapter VII: Jaina's Meeting & Ravages of the Plague
Chapter VIII: The Cult of the Damned
Chatper IX: March of the Scourge
Chapter X: The Prince and the Prophet & The Culling
Chapter XI: Divergent Courses & The Shores of Northrend
Chapter XII: Dissension
Chapter XIII: Frostmourne & Arthas' Homecoming

Undead Campaign - Path of the Damned

XIV: Trudging through the Ashes
XV: Digging up the Dead
XVI: The Dreadlords Convene & Into the Realm Eternal
XVII: Key of the Three Moons
XVIII: The Fall of Silvermoon
XIX:
XX:
XXI:

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Lore Writeups

Writeup I - Thrall, the Prophet, Drek'thar, Grom Hellscream, Demons, Internment Camps, Shamanism, and the First and Second Wars.
Writeup II - House Menethil, the Kirin Tor, Uther the Lightbringer, the Plague, Strahnbrad, and Lordaeron's Bandit Problem
Writeup III - Too many topics to list. Human Campaign roundup.

Unit Quotes (by painedforever)

Human Units I - Arthas and Footman
Human Units II - Human Global, Peasants, Uther, and Riflemen
Human Units III - Priest, Mortar Team, the Captain, and Jaina.
Human Units IV - Generic Paladin and Generic Archmage
Human Units V - Sorceress
Human Units VI - Knight
Human Units VII - Gyrocopter, Generic Mountain King, and Muradin
Human Units VIII - Gryphon Rider

Undead Units I - Acolyte, Ghoul, Shade, Tichondrius, and Arthas
Undead Units II - Undead Global, Generic Death Knight, and Generic Dreadlord
Undead Units III - Necromancer

Neutral Units I - Ice Troll, Ogre, and Goblin Sapper

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 3, 2018

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Chapter I: The Prophecy & Thrall's Vision

Click Here for Video

Ahh, 2002. A time when seeing the Blizzard logo slowly fade into existence brought excitement.

Oh who am I kidding? It's 2018 and that logo still means good poo poo is coming. You may not personally like WoW, but chances are you have an ongoing addiction to Hearthstone. Or you're part of a ranking Overwatch team. Or maybe you just really like rolling a new Diablo character with each new game season.

My point is, "Blizzard" has become synonymous with "quality" for a drat good reason.

: We never paid any heed to the ancient prophecies.

A human and an orc are fighting in a field.

: Like fools we clung to the old hatreds...

: ...and fought as we had for generations.

And it looks like the human is getting his rear end kicked. Obviously that's Blizzard's Horde bias showing as early as 2002. (It's a joke. I'm joking. I feel the need to get this out of the way early. It is a joke.)

VLC's "snapshot every xx frames" feature has failed me here. The human is taking deep breaths, and his breath is showing when he does so. I could retake the screenshots, but it's exceedingly hard to time for half a seconds' worth of water vapor in front of his mouth.

Standing out in an open field with a thunderstorm pending sounds like an incredibly bad idea. The human is wearing metal, and the orc is wielding it. These two are so cooked.

: Roar!

Neither of them being the type to let inclement weather get them down, they aim to continue their fight.

: Until the day the sky rained fire, and a new enemy came among us.

Then meteors start streaking across the sky.

Meteor rain is a pretty good reason to pause their fight, as it turns out.

That glowing green rock just climbed out of the crater.

: ROAR!

: We stand now upon the brink of destruction. For the reign of chaos has come at last.

Hell of an intro, eh? Well let's get started. I'm DoubleNegative, and welcome to this LP of Warcraft 3. As fun as I'm sure most of you had with the multiplayer, all we're going to be focused on is the single player campaign.

DoubleNegative is a tad too long to fit, so the abbreviation DN will have to do.

We're going to get started with the prologue. This campaign covers the game's tutorial, as well as sets up the Orc campaign for much later in the game. This campaign features two cinematics, as well as two actual levels. The Prophecy is that mess of screenshots featured above. Thrall's Vision is covered below, in case you cared why this update is only half over.

Click Here for Video

: The sands of time have run out, Son of Durotan.

: The cries of war echo upon the winds.

: The remnants of the past scar the land...

: ...which is besieged once again by conflict.

This crow has zero fucks to give about the nearby orc army.

I guess I spoke too soon, but I wouldn't want to be crushed by a catapult either.

In case you wondered, the Orcish army is called the Horde. Why do I bring that up?

Oh... no reason.

: Heroes arise to challenge fate, and lead their brethren to battle.

: As mortal armies rush blindly towards their doom...

: the Burning Shadow comes to consume us all.

That's two fights now that these green meteors have interrupted. They're kind of dicks.

: You must rally the Horde and lead your people to their destiny!

: Seek me out...

NEXT TIME: We will begin the game proper, with the first level Chasing Visions.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jan 23, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This game is so goddamn weird after this many years of WoW. Looking forward to it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Man, the animated cutscenes in this game absolutely blew my mind as a kid. I still think Arthas' Betrayal is one of the best cinematics in video game history.

Also, I immediately thought that the flaming rock golems (infernals) were the coolest poo poo as soon as I saw them.

This game and its expansion were an absolutely massive part of my childhood and I look forward to seeing another attempt at taking them on in LP form.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Nice, my dislike of World of Warcraft partially stems from not liking MMOs but mostly because it is endlessly delaying Warcraft 4.

And agreed, the cutscenes were amazing when I first played the game but I do not remember that first cutscene. Did I miss it?

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think that the opening cutscene changes or disappears if you have the expansion pack installed.

Anyway, looking forward to this!

There's a lot of "corruption this" and "corruption that", but I do overall like the story. And yes, the cutscene mentioned by SirSamVimes is my favourite as well.

Some good voice-acting here during the campaign, will you be trying to showcase it?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yeah the voicework in this game is just the right kind of over the top hammy and I love it.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Time to watch blizzard fail to string together a coherent story-line out of two fairly plotless games.

It will be glorious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cythereal posted:

This game is so goddamn weird after this many years of WoW. Looking forward to it.

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I never got into or played World of WarCraft, so for me the franchise kind of ended with Frozen Throne and everything else that's come after it has been the weirdass aberration.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm of the exact opposite opinion. I never got into or played World of WarCraft, so for me the franchise kind of ended with Frozen Throne and everything else that's come after it has been the weirdass aberration.

I'm in the same boat. Apparently they invaded hell, and are now killing each other again.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

wiegieman posted:

I'm in the same boat. Apparently they invaded hell, and are now killing each other again.

True dat. I'm not really an MMO sort of person, and I guess I wasn't invested enough in the universe to play, even on one of the free servers. And then they started revising the backstory...?

I never really played WarCraft I or II. I sorta played WarCraft II, like a couple of missions, and then really played WarCraft III. I think I gave up on the proto-WoW they had instead of the Orc Campaign in Frozen Throne.

Will you be doing Frozen Throne as well?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

wiegieman posted:

The story of world of warcraft, a summary: divine, royal, monstrous, or orc baddies wielding the power of fire, green fire, purple fire, black goop, green goop, orange goop, or lightning decided to sequentially try to gently caress over the world at regular 4-12 month intervals. They got repeatedly murdered by a large and mostly incoherent mob of infighting mutes who took all their stuff. The planet has recently taken a mortal stab wound, and everyone on it is very excited about the possibilities.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

painedforever posted:

I never really played WarCraft I or II. I sorta played WarCraft II, like a couple of missions, and then really played WarCraft III. I think I gave up on the proto-WoW they had instead of the Orc Campaign in Frozen Throne.

Which is a shame, because it got kinda good near the end, and it's story went some places. To say the least. But yeah, Blizzard bungling the release order for all three parts while they were clearly shifting resources towards WoW and hamstringing it really killed a lot of people's interest in seeing it through to the end.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Xerophyte posted:

The story of world of warcraft, a summary: divine, royal, monstrous, or orc baddies wielding the power of fire, green fire, purple fire, black goop, green goop, orange goop, or lightning decided to sequentially try to gently caress over the world at regular 4-12 month intervals. They got repeatedly murdered by a large and mostly incoherent mob of infighting mutes who took all their stuff. The planet has recently taken a mortal stab wound, and everyone on it is very excited about the possibilities.

A giant planetary stab wound sounds like a thing to not get excited about, all things considered.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

wiegieman posted:

A giant planetary stab wound sounds like a thing to not get excited about, all things considered.

It's unearthed new magical rocks formed of planet blood, nobody is sure what we can do with this stuff but drat if we aren't going to find out. Seeing as previously we've used the blood of an ancient Eldritch Being and more recently the crystalized blood of Sargeras to make awesome armor and weapons everyone is pretty sure something good can come out of this stuff.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Aw yes, I loving love this game even now. Back in the day as a dumb kid, I actually bought the expansion pack first cause I didn’t know any better. :shobon: Once I got Reign of Chaos though I just kept playing and playing, and it just picked up even more when we got a massively improved home computer and internet connection. It’ll be fun to relive the campaign again here.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Xenocides posted:

And agreed, the cutscenes were amazing when I first played the game but I do not remember that first cutscene. Did I miss it?

I believe the Prophecy cinematic only plays when you first boot the game up, unless you specifically click on it in the mission select. I believe it was originally just one of Blizzard's teaser trailers they'd include on other game discs. Like this Diablo II E3 trailer that was on the Warcraft II BNE disc.

painedforever posted:

Some good voice-acting here during the campaign, will you be trying to showcase it?

Showing off the voice acting should not be a problem at all!

painedforever posted:

Will you be doing Frozen Throne as well?

That's my goal, but let's get through Reign of Chaos first. There's a ton of missions between here and there!

Also going to put out another update later today, one with some gameplay to discuss, and then I'll aim for twice a week.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

DoubleNegative posted:

That's my goal, but let's get through Reign of Chaos first. There's a ton of missions between here and there!

Oh sorry. I'll didn't mean to try and jinx it!

StarCraft II, WarCraft III (VLP) and WarCraft II... the only LP that has been completed has been the first WarCraft.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Chapter II: Chasing Visions

Hello everyone, and welcome to the first tutorial mission in Warcraft 3. Before we get started, I'll assume you're here because you have the slightest interest in Warcraft. So I hope you won't mind too terribly when I open my mouth and start screeching about the lore of this universe.

In the past, I've made snide remarks about the "rich lore" of other games. Each time I did so, I included a link to WoWpedia. I more or less mentally checked out of Warcraft's story about 5 years back. There was a point, however, where I ate up everything I could learn about it.

I'm not going to claim to be an expert, by any means. The folks in the WoW Lore Thread are probably a lot more well versed than I am, and I'm certainly no Anne Stickney. However, I still more or less know what I'm talking about.

With my bona fides established, let's discuss this map for a moment. The Arathi Highlands start approximately where the trees get the most narrow, southeast of the Internment Camp marker. There's actually a gigantic wall separating the two called Thoradin's Wall. Thrall, then, is technically camped in the Hillsbrad Foothills, just north of the Southshore naval base.

Every mission, and liminal cutscene, starts with a map like this. You should probably expect more of the above from these in the future. For the most part, I'm going to avoid talking about what happens to these places in the game world. This LP is for Warcraft 3, not WoW.

Thrall walks out of his "hut" - actually a scaled down orc Great Hall barracks for aesthetic reasons.

SirSamVimes posted:

Thrall's hut was actually a tiny barracks, not a great hall.

: What kind of nightmare was that?

You can kinda see a crow in the foreground. It's just above Thrall.

: It was not a nightmare, young Warchief, but a vision. Follow me, and I will reveal what your future holds.

: I don't know what this is all about, but I'll play along.

The Prophet has flown off, the sun has risen, and we're now in control of Thrall. If you sit here long enough, a voice will eventually come out of nowhere to tell you how to do things. While I could let him do my job for me, it's a lot easier and faster to explain everything as it comes up.

Right now the important thing is the MAIN QUEST text in the middle left. Each mission will have objectives, and as they change and update, we'll be notified by similar text popping up. We can also check the list of quest objectives at any time by hitting the button in the top left labeled, appropriately enough, Quests.

Eventually the disembodied narrator voice will either tell you to click on Thrall, or you'll intuit that you need to click on a unit in this strategy game. Either way, when you click on a unit, you'll get more information.

Allow me to draw your attention to the lower portion of the screen.

The lower left contains the minimap. This will be more important later on, but for now just know that it's there. All the black is the fog of war, showing what we haven't yet explored.

The middle has Thrall's stats. You can probably intuit what most of the numbers mean by looking at them. He has 500/500 health, 285/285 mana, deals 21-27 damage per hit, and so on. The empty bar in the top middle of the image, with the text Level 1 Far Seer, is his experience bar. As he does stuff in the game, he'll gain experience and level up, making all those numbers go up.

If you hover over each of the stats, you'll get more of a breakdown of what they mean, but that's a little beyond the pale for this first update. We'll ease into all of that later on.

Finally on the bottom right, we have Thrall's inventory, as well as the command card. Only heroes and some very special others can carry items. There's only six item slots, and a big part of the game is managing what you're carrying to get the most bang for your buck.

The command card is where the bulk of the action takes place. These buttons tell you how to control your units. Starting from the top left, we have... Move, Stop, Hold, Attack, and Patrol. The last two icons are special, and will be covered a little later.

Move - Move around the battlefield. Units will ignore any nearby enemies. Shortcut - Right Click on the game world.
Stop - Temporarily halts the current action. Useful if you see a unit doing something stupid. Shortcut - S.
Hold - Orders the unit to hold its position, and not move for any reason. Units can still engage nearby enemies if they can reach them. Shortcut - H.
Attack-Move - Move to a target location, attacking anything along the way. Shortcut - A.
Patrol - Tells the unit to patrol between its current location and the target, engaging any enemies that come nearby. Of nominal use. Shortcut - P.

The game wants us to move Thrall to the glowing circle nearby. Because this is a strategy game, and explaining my moves will take too much time, let's introduce my shorthand method.

See the pretty green arrow? That means that someone or something is moving to the spot indicated by the point. In this case, Thrall is moving to the glowing circle of power. Simple enough, right?

The next circle of power is off the screen to the north. The game introduces screen scrolling here, but let's just skip that nonsense.

It's as simple as that.

The next tutorial brings up the fog of war. Anything in black is something we haven't seen before, while anything grayed out is something we have seen in the past, but don't currently have direct line of sight to.

Once Thrall moves north into the orc camp, things get a little more interesting.

: Lok'tar my warriors!
: We are yours to command, Warchief!

Thrall is the Warchief of the Horde. That means he's in charge of both of the army and the political side of things. While there aren't many politics in this game, it's worth pointing out all the same. Warchiefs are expected to serve on the frontlines right next to their troops, and Thrall is no exception. Indeed, hero units, like Thrall, are among the most powerful in the game.

So with our three grunts, let's head off into the unknown. This mission is more or less just to get us acquainted with the controls, and pit us against some incredibly easy enemies. Nothing too hard for the controls tutorial of course.

: Prepare yourselves, I sense a gnoll ahead.

Speak of the devil. This gnoll is our modest introduction to the meat of the gameplay in Warcraft 3. This is also a good time to cover the other major shorthand I'm going to be using for this LP.

Red arrows mean that an attack is being made where the arrow points at. In this case, Thrall and his three grunts are attack-moving toward that Gnoll.

Once they get near the Gnoll, the grunts surround it while Thrall pelts it with electric orbs from afar.

: Hmmm, this was only a scout. But the Gnolls' camp lies just ahead.

Honestly, this is the majority of the strategy for the game. Get a force that's better than the other guy's and then just attack-move into the middle of his base. The murderball method is my favorite strategy, though I'll try to break things up for this LP.

While murdering Gnolls, Thrall is enveloped by a golden column of light. This means that he leveled up. Leveling up restores all of a hero's HP and mana, increases all their stats, and gives them a skill point.

The little red plus on the command card lets you spend your skill point.

Well, we're spoiled for choice here. We can only pick the blue aerial shot of Sauron's tower. The level 2 version of the orange sky over a brown mountain, framed by a white circle is currently unavailable.

Chain Lightning is gonna be Thrall's bread and butter attack skill. Even at the first level, it'll severely weaken the enemies it hits. At max level? It'll cripple an army.

The other skill Thrall has is Farsight. It just temporarily reveals a portion of the map. I've never really found map reveal skills all that useful, but I also never play competitive multiplayer. Apparently at max level it reveals a large section of the map.

Moving on...

: Burn it all down, my warriors! Let nothing remain of this camp but ashes.

It's very important that you burn down any buildings that were used by creeps like the Gnolls. Occasionally you can find items inside! Also they're there, and they're targets and... well, you know how it is.

Creeps, by the way, is what the game calls the "neutral" units you see on the map like Gnolls. Neutral, in this case, doesn't necessarily mean they're non-aggressive, in fact usually quite the opposite. Neutral just means that they're unaffiliated with any of the four major factions.

Gnolls shouldn't have built a settlement in my way.

The forest path continues for a short ways before it runs into a river.

: Warchief, we've discovered a group of murloc raiders in the nearby river!

The tutorial makes an excellent suggestion here. While the grunts run in to engage the murlocs, Thrall is gonna hit all the fish men with his new Chain Lightning spell.

The last murloc loses about 40% of its HP as well, but this was the better shot.

Anyway, this should adequately demonstrate the power of a hero's abilities. All four of the murlocs died within seconds of the grunts reaching them thanks to Thrall's new ability. It's important to note that a spell's damage only improves when another skill point is put into it, up to a maximum of 3 points.

While Thrall burns these murlocs' huts to the ground, I would like to draw your attention to the little box in the upper middle of the screen. One of the murlocs dropped an item for us to pick up and hoard use hold onto for 6 missions and then drop in favor something that provides passive stat bonuses.

150 MP lets us cast Chain Lightning once, so that's neat. But seriously, though. I'll probably never use this. In fact, I'm pretty sure anything in Thrall's inventory gets eaten between the end of the tutorial and the start of the Orc campaign way down the road.

Anyway, the river is the only path available, so... to the north!

These updates would take forever if I did annotations for every shot. So instead of doing that thing, I'm going to go with the option that means less work for me and only annotate when I want to show off a thing in particular.

Anyway, once the group passes this particular circle, night falls. Yes, the game has a day/night cycle. You can see what the time of day is by looking at the little globe in the center of the screen. Some units do different things depending on the time of day, as we'll see in a moment.

: Be wary, my warriors. Don't let nightfall dull your senses.

Continuing along the path, there's a break in the trees off to one side. This is a hint!

There are a lot of hidden things to find in the game. Stuff you won't otherwise find unless you look off the beaten path. ...Literally, as it turns out, in this case.

This treasure chest contains a potion of health, which restores 250 HP to the hero that uses it. Anyway, let's return to the path.

: An ogre! We'd have a fierce battle on our hands if the beast weren't sleeping...

Now that Thrall is level 2, there's no need to kill anything else on this map. He can't gain any more experience until the Orc campaign starts in earnest.

But this is WARcraft, not PEACEcraft. So...

: ATTACK!

Farther up the trail, the path splits again. Last time we found treasure, so maybe we'll be lucky again?

Nothing ventured...

: A golem! Watch yourselves, my brethren. Those creatures do not sleep at night.

Some creatures, like golems, are immune to magical damage. So even though the golems are something of a hidden boss for this level, Chain Lightning won't hurt them.

In spite of the fact that Thrall throws giant blue lightning orbs at enemies, he does not deal magical damage. Thrall is a hero, so he deals Hero normal-type damage, same as the Grunts he's traveling with. Anyway, there's two more golems down here, one off to the west, and another off to the south.

Alpha3KV posted:

The Hero damage type did not exist until Frozen Throne. In Reign of Chaos, each hero uses one of the other damage types. In this case, Thrall does Normal type damage, same as the grunts and most other melee units.

The southern one drops a ring when it dies.

The Ring of Protection +1 gives Thrall a passive +1 to his armor. There's an equation you can use to figure out the damage reduction if you're curious.

For positive Armor, damage reduction =((armor)*0.06)/(1+0.06*(armor))
For negative Armor, it is damage increase = 2-0.94^(-armor) since you take more damage for negative armor scores.

The equation is taken from Warcraft 3 Basics - Armor and Weapon Types

Using our handy dandy little formula, we can plug the numbers in and make Windows calculator do all the hard work.

((5)*0.06)/(1+0.06*(5)) = 0.230769... so if we truncate that, we're actually getting a little better than 23% damage reduction, instead of the advertised 22%. Not too shabby!

Anyway, let's go back to the path once again.

Another big open area off to the side. You all know what that means!

Something I find neat is that raised sections of the map remain in the fog of war until you actually have someone up on its level.

: Forest trolls! I still can't believe they were ever a part of the Horde.

The Hint brings up a good point. Everything in this game has a level from 1 to 10, and the higher something's level, the more dangerous it is. If your hero is fairly low level, you'll want an army before taking on something much higher level.

Some enemies can inflict statuses on your troops. In this case, one of the forest trolls threw a net on one of our grunts. Being immoblized doesn't hurt the affected unit, but it does mean they have to sit tight if they're melee.

In this case, it meant that one of our grunts died because there wasn't enough DPS on the big troll to win a damage race. Goodbye faceless grunt #001, we'll never forget your heroic sacrifice. :patriot:

When he finally goes down, the big troll drops a floating, spinning tome. These objects are somewhat uncommon. There's several types of tomes, and they each increase a different stat. Purple ones increase HP by 50 points, red ones increase Strength, green ones Agility, and blue ones Intelligence. There's also a couple Tomes of Knowledge, which increase all stats by 1, but they are incredibly rare.

From here, the end of the mission is just a stone's throw away.

As long as Thrall walks anywhere near the final circle, the ending cutscene triggers. Also worth pointing out here, the Prophet is invulnerable. That means that he can't even be targeted by attacks. The game won't let you.

This, by the way, is the quest screen. It's boring right now, but later in the game there will be all sorts of quests we need to complete. Anyway, I'll leave you all with Thrall and the Prophet talking.

: It was you I saw in the vision. Who are you? How do you know me?
: I know many things, young warchief, about you and your people. My identity, at this time, is unimportant. What is important is that you rally your people and leave these shores immediately.
: Leave? What's this all about, human?

: Yes. And only by leading your people across the sea, to the distant lands of Kalimdor, will you have a chance to stand against them!
: But how can we--
: I will answer all of your questions in time, young warchief. For now, rally your warriors and prepare to leave this land. We will speak again.

: None of this makes sense.
: What do the spirits think?
: HE SAW ME! HE WAS LOOKING RIGHT AT ME! I THOUGHT I WAS GONNA DIE!
: Hmmm. I guess I'll trust him... for now.

The victory (or defeat) screen shows you a breakdown of how the game calculated the score you got. Given this was just the orientation tutorial, there's no need to post anything beyond the Overview tab. For proper base building levels, I'll show off everything for those curious.

NEXT TIME: Departures

Highlight Reel

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 23, 2018

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Attempting to reconcile the WC3 world map and the WoW vanilla map in anything but the loosest terms is the way to madness.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Fun fact! There's a wolf howl noise when it turns night, and there's a cockerel crowing noise when it turns to day. The game was full of little touches like that.

I am looking forward to lore insights. I expect you'll be revealing more about the characters we've met so far as we go on, so I'm not going to steal your thunder by commenting on them until you do.

Will you be talking about the story in the manuals? I think that got itself revised as WoW went on, but I liked it when I first read it.

Does anybody remember if this was the first game to have hero units that gained XP as you went on? SpellForce had the same mechanic, but I think it came out after...

Oh! Something I just remembered. WC3 was 3D! You couldn't rotate the camera permanently, but you could rotate the camera 90 degrees using Insert or Delete. It'd snap back when you let go of the key, but it was there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

1stGear posted:

Attempting to reconcile the WC3 world map and the WoW vanilla map in anything but the loosest terms is the way to madness.

Until Cataclysm blew everything up anyhow.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
The Hero damage type did not exist until Frozen Throne. In Reign of Chaos, each hero uses one of the other damage types. In this case, Thrall does Normal type damage, same as the grunts and most other melee units. Be aware that Blizzard's WC3 site only gives TFT information, and the expansion made a big overhaul to damage and armor types. The in-game tooltips will give the info accurate to ROC.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

For those interested, I would highly recommend the music tracks that play over the game, the Orc Map themes are particularly good.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'm pretty sure Thrall was going to be the protagonist of a point-and-click adventure game set in the Warcraft setting that Blizzard ended up canceling, by the way.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Alpha3KV posted:

The Hero damage type did not exist until Frozen Throne. In Reign of Chaos, each hero uses one of the other damage types. In this case, Thrall does Normal type damage, same as the grunts and most other melee units. Be aware that Blizzard's WC3 site only gives TFT information, and the expansion made a big overhaul to damage and armor types. The in-game tooltips will give the info accurate to ROC.

I could have sworn that change had been backported to RoC. Anyway, I've edited your correction into the update.

SirSamVimes posted:

This one too!

Anyway, yeah. Don't be afraid to correct me on stuff I get wrong. I'll happily make the changes and give proper credit.

painedforever posted:

I am looking forward to lore insights. I expect you'll be revealing more about the characters we've met so far as we go on, so I'm not going to steal your thunder by commenting on them until you do.

Will you be talking about the story in the manuals? I think that got itself revised as WoW went on, but I liked it when I first read it.

Yeah, the plan is to do a roundup of new characters and concepts after every mission or so. I'll do the first one after the next update on Thursday.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I'm pretty sure Thrall was going to be the protagonist of a point-and-click adventure game set in the Warcraft setting that Blizzard ended up canceling, by the way.
Lord of the Clans. There are even gameplay videos of it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUNFrbpOSTE

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
WC3 is one of my favourite games of all time, it hit when I was just the right age to get lost in it.

All aboard the Grom train! :toot:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Rarity posted:

WC3 is one of my favourite games of all time, it hit when I was just the right age to get lost in it.

All aboard the Grom train! :toot:

Grom was a horrible sentient being and I'm not sorry he's dead. :colbert:

His sons worse

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Klaus88 posted:

Grom was a horrible sentient being and I'm not sorry he's dead. :colbert:
:same:

quote:

His sons worse
this however is incorrect

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I have literally no knowledge about anything Warcraft, the MMO or the franchise, so hopefully this LP will help me understand why people are crazy about these games.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

SirSamVimes posted:

If we're nitpicking, you didn't show off the phat lewt on this map.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

DoubleNegative posted:

I could have sworn that change had been backported to RoC. Anyway, I've edited your correction into the update.

I think it's because the damage-type and armor changes aren't applied to the campaigns for whatever reason.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I have literally no knowledge about anything Warcraft, the MMO or the franchise, so hopefully this LP will help me understand why people are crazy about these games.

I don't think this LP will explain why people go insane for MMOs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Brownhat posted:

I don't think this LP will explain why people go insane for MMOs.
Must... gather... bear... asses... :zombie:

McTimmy posted:

I think it's because the damage-type and armor changes aren't applied to the campaigns for whatever reason.
My guess is because it would change the balance, unless you're willing to rebalance the entire thing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Poil posted:

My guess is because it would change the balance, unless you're willing to rebalance the entire thing.

It's probably this. Other Frozen Throne balance changes didn't make it in, so Archers still deal crazy damage.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

The first time I played WC3 was well after the initial release, and this thing about tomes being consumed after use always confused me. It comes up again in the first real mission of the game, which has a side quest that is supposed to give you a tome, but just increases one of your stats instead. I couldn't figure out why I didn't get a reward.

It turned out that tomes were initially items, just like the potions Thrall picked up; they were later patched to just increase your stats as soon as they're collected, but Blizzard never fixed the campaign dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Alpha3KV posted:

To further clarify, all heroes dealt Normal damage, including archer heroes like the Priestess of the Moon.

Magic Damage as an attack type also did not exist until Frozen Throne. Extra little tidbit; and when it did get introduced, units that dealt Magic Damage became actually unable to autoattack units that were immune to magic. Which, if attack-moving near something like a Golem, would result in said casters just running up to the thing.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's probably this. Other Frozen Throne balance changes didn't make it in, so Archers still deal crazy damage.

And to continue this little thought, some balance changes over the course of patches DID make it into the campaigns; for example, an ability for a hero we'll see later, Storm Bolt, was usable on many different types of targets; this was made use of in a mission during the campaign. However, a later patch disallowed Storm Bolt from targetting mechanical units, which meant that a hint telling you to use Storm Bolt on the mission objective targets was now misleading, as you are no longer ABLE to use Storm Bolt on that target, having to resort to whatever ranged units you may have access to. I'll leave out the rest of the details for when we actually get that far.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 24, 2018

• Locked thread