Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Welcome to the Citrus Thread!

We're three episodes in as of making this thread but I was enjoying it so now we get one.

CITRUS is a category of fruit, so vote for your favorite one. It's also a Yuri manga written and illustrated by Saburo. It's a pretty well known one and people tend to be quite opinionated on it. I've never read it.
It's story follows Yuzu, a gyaru who moves to a new school after her mother's remarriage. She talks big to her old hometown friends about dating life, but she's never actually fallen in love. Hoping to find a new chance on new grounds, she is immediately welcomed by the revelation it's an all girls school. Spoilers: She's gay.

Characters:

Yuzu:

Our main viewpoint character! She's an outgoing Gyaru who talks big but yearns for first love. Good hairstyles.

Mei:

The love interest! Granddaughter of the headmaster. Aggressive.

Harumin:

Yuzu's Friend. Secret Gyaru. Good Fashion sense.

I don't have plat so I can't make a poll, so vote for your favorite fruit in gamefaqs fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
grapefruit

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

inseki

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That's not a reference ot that guys posted about rape and grapefruit or anything I just really like the taste of grapefruit

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
My name is Knorth and my favourite citrus is probably the humble lemon. It's delicious squeezed directly on pretty much everything or as a more involved ingredient so to speak, the tartness is so refreshing! I've got a jar of preserved lemons in the cupboard and I'm really looking forward to using them in things

This show is pretty good too, I like the characters so far but I hope we get some nice romantic moments between The Drama

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

damnit I was just about to make this thread, oh well

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Anyhow, to go more in depth on why I enjoy this show: I like the characters so far. I think Yuzu is a good lead character, a nice anchor through both the drama of the story, but also a good vehicle for some of the comedy the show uses to break up the more serious moments. Yuzu is nicely concerned with the best for the people around her.
There's some goofiness in how quickly the show will bring up conflict just to resolve it immediately at the start of the next episode.
I also laughed when there was an almost 1:1 scene with the evangelion part where Asuka sleeps in Shinji's room.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's Yuzu obviously

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Buying one big bed for your high school age daughter and stepdaughter to share: a perfectly normal thing to do.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sindai posted:

Buying one big bed for your high school age daughter and stepdaughter to share: a perfectly normal thing to do.

Mei wasn’t even grateful, how rude really

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Clementines are the ideal fusion of sweetness and ease-of-consumption that all other sweet citrus fruits should aspire towards

Clearly Yuzu herself best embodies this delicious fruit for her outgoing nature and positive outlook on life

Anyway this show/manga has some of the silliest drama around but Yuzu is always a Good Girl and everything works out in the end

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yuzu is a good kid who correctly does not respect authority.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I vote for melons

RME posted:

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Inseki

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

nice 2nd

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sindai posted:

https://twitter.com/idolMariya/status/955195540454588417

:v:

Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E2xmqH9T7k

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Harumin best citrus

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I really appreciate how Yuru actually tries to handle situations by doing something, it's a nice change from a lot of romance stories.

Find out teacher is playing with Mei?

Tell Mei.

Doesn't work? Tell the entire loving school.

That's my kind of problem solving.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

It's Yuzu obviously

a yuzu is in fact, a type of citrus fruit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Harumin best citrus

This is correct.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yuzu reading incest yuri manga was the funniest part of chapter 3.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
lol I actually forgot the vice pres was the aggressor in one of these arcs because there's so many of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This is my least favourite bit of the manga to be honest because it's obvious neither of them really gives a poo poo about Mei's feelings and she's too passive/other stuff going on to just to tell them to gently caress off.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Sakurazuka posted:

This is my least favourite bit of the manga to be honest because it's obvious neither of them really gives a poo poo about Mei's feelings and she's too passive/other stuff going on to just to tell them to gently caress off.

Maybe Momokino but Yuzu is all about doing whatever she thinks is better for Mei.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

http://0x0.st/sb8r.webm

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Harumin and the one girl who was Yuzu's not-actual little sister have the best scenes together.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
agreed, that's the otp

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Definitely natural hairdo, no styling required

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sakurazuka posted:

Most of Yuzu's emotional conflict this episode seemed to be about her feelings for Mei butting up against her desire to help her and be a genuine older sister. Like, she obviously wants Mei to return her feelings, but she still seems concerned with Mei being okay as well.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The full OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNfXwN5JQvg

And a little fanart

https://twitter.com/kaiyamon/status/957721227312975872

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
the blushing knees lol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Blushing knees are moe, I guess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So quick question after thinking about this episode a bit, but does the show ever lose the rapey imagery around kissing? It was kind of nice to see a consensual kiss between Yuzu and Mei this episode, and then Momo had to go all weird on Mei and I'm pretty sure every episode so far has had at least one pushy kiss that's a bit uncomfortable and I just want to see a happy couple I guess?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
From what I remember it does steadily decrease from about here on.

But if you're expecting the drama train to ever stop you're going to be disappointed.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 29, 2018

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Just letting my lesbian friend hang out in the closet

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Sindai posted:

But if you're expecting the drama train to ever stop you're going to be disappointed.

Well, I don't expect there to not be any drama for more than a few minutes here and there at most but is this just gonna be one long journey where Yuzu and Mei are always trying to sort themselves out and never actually get in a relationship or something so? I know it's based on a light novel, but I guess I was expecting one or two 12 episode seasons where they sort out their issues and eventually hook up during those seasons, coming across and sorting out a few more before reaching a fairly conclusive finale.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tsob posted:

Well, I don't expect there to not be any drama for more than a few minutes here and there at most but is this just gonna be one long journey where Yuzu and Mei are always trying to sort themselves out and never actually get in a relationship or something so? I know it's based on a light novel, but I guess I was expecting one or two 12 episode seasons where they sort out their issues and eventually hook up during those seasons, coming across and sorting out a few more before reaching a fairly conclusive finale.
I mean, they do become more and more of a couple, also it's based on a manga and not a light novel, but also Citrus is just kind of melodramatic in its blood.

Honestly, maybe just skim a few pages of the latest chapter and see if that's a solid enough pace for you.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
theyre gonna marry at the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Only spoiling what's necessary to answer your direct question: based on the OP and pacing so far I expect this season to end with them actually starting to date. There's plenty of manga left after that and it's ongoing.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jan 29, 2018