Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

nullscan posted:

Glad you found a place Arc, hit me up on kakao sometime, same user name.

Hell yeah. Give me a couple weeks to settle in and I'll be in touch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

nullscan posted:

AFN at Osan just cut off in the middle of the US/Korea Curling match

So happy I don't have to sit through AFN "commercials" anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mghxZzWVO7A

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

You are not MST3K and you never will be, AFN

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
This may seem an odd question, but does anyone have the NSN/ or name for a company that makes an ordnance lift for Hellfire missiles?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

This may seem an odd question, but does anyone have the NSN/ or name for a company that makes an ordnance lift for Hellfire missiles?

Like this guy?

1730-01-491-1557

http://www.core-aerospace.com/pdf/MJ-1C.PDF

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 12, 2018

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Pretty high speed. Do you know of something more like a hand cart? Working on getting the company to buy one.

SimonCat fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 12, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

Pretty high speed. Looking for something other than a 2-man lift for arming Apaches.

Thanks!

I don't know if it comes with it, but you can also purchase different tools for it for loading missiles.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Like this guy?

getting some harsh load toad flash backs, except in my mind there's a cooler full of beer perched on the load table and you have to slalom backwards through age equipment

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Clavavisage posted:

getting some harsh load toad flash backs, except in my mind there's a cooler full of beer perched on the load table and you have to slalom backwards through age equipment

We couldn't get AGE to dispatch fast enough in Qatar, and Comm/Nav had the only tow rated truck so we ended up playing AGE.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
This makes me laugh more than it should:

http://www.flyingsquadron.com/forums/topic/22124-pilot-shortage-deepens-usaf-is-screwed/

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

In the case of mobility pilots, that positive number has been achieved by dramatically slashing crew ratios. These squadrons are skin and bones.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HAHAHAHA 11F retention bonus take rate continues dropping.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013
Literally the best possible job you could hope to get in the USAF and they’re leaving in packs. Somethings are just plain hosed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I know two of my heavy pilot friends just left after being offered significant bonus packages, and are signed up with the airlines.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Literally the best possible job you could hope to get in the USAF and they’re leaving in packs. Somethings are just plain hosed.

That's actually the point I make when people talk about how the AF is the way to go.

Dude, fighter pilot is one of the coolest loving jobs in the history of humanity, and the AF is throwing a bonus of almost half a million dollars at them to stay in. And it's not working. Does that sound like a great work environment? How bad do things have to be for this to happen?

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~
I wonder if I can go to my chief pilot and see if I can get paid on company time to go to AF bases and try to poach pilots for the airline.

Get paid AND gently caress over the Air Force? Holy poo poo that would be my dream job.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rekinom posted:

I wonder if I can go to my chief pilot and see if I can get paid on company time to go to AF bases and try to poach pilots for the airline.

Get paid AND gently caress over the Air Force? Holy poo poo that would be my dream job.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rekinom posted:

https://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/ShowJob/Id/96178/Contracts-Negotiator/

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

Godholio posted:

That's actually the point I make when people talk about how the AF is the way to go.

Dude, fighter pilot is one of the coolest loving jobs in the history of humanity, and the AF is throwing a bonus of almost half a million dollars at them to stay in. And it's not working. Does that sound like a great work environment? How bad do things have to be for this to happen?

You think its bad right now? Just think they took away the old retirement plan. I keep saying they're going to be hurting big time a few years from now (enlisted and nobles).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The old retirement plan was loving dumb. At least the new one gives you something when you get RIFed out after 8 years because the hand that says the AF needs STEM majors isn’t talking to the hand that says the AF needs to fire half of everyone who isn’t a pilot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

TheGreasyStrangler posted:

The old retirement plan was loving dumb. At least the new one gives you something when you get RIFed out after 8 years because the hand that says the AF needs STEM majors isn’t talking to the hand that says the AF needs to fire half of everyone who isn’t a pilot.

The old retirement plan was loving awesome until the service became so toxic that nobody could hack it for 20 except the worst examples of humanity.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

The old retirement plan was loving awesome until the service became so toxic that nobody could hack it for 20 except the worst examples of humanity.

I suppose in a completely different environment I could imagine expecting to do 20 years, but the first year I was in the AF laid off O2s and then a couple years after that they laid off literally 50% of the 2009 and older year group for my field. You could check every box the AF demands and still get forced out at 19 years over a manning projection number. I’m probably a little scarred from witnessing that.

And now I hear about the DoD wanting to force people out for being non-deployable and I just wonder if the people in charge are trying to execute a Trump-style destruction of department.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How the gently caress do you make being a pilot be so lovely that hundreds of your employees flee the only opportunity in the world to fly certain aircraft?

(I just really want a bunch of vitriolic posts to follow for my entertainment)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

movax posted:

How the gently caress do you make being a pilot be so lovely that hundreds of your employees flee the only opportunity in the world to fly certain aircraft?

Not just hundreds. 3/4s of them.

Also, I only rode in the back of airplanes, but I didn't see my son for three loving years so I was pretty much done with the AF. Being forced out six months early was one of the highlights of my career.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always wanted to fly planes as a kid and then I talked to my DOs and realized its secretly one of the worst jobs in the world

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5n5mB6t2Q

Rekinom
Jan 26, 2006

~ shady midair gas hustler ~

~ good hair ~

~ colt 45 ~

movax posted:

To me, flying fighters is like joining the Marines. When you're on the outside, you think it's really badass and cool, but once you peel back the curtain you realize it's mostly marketing and brainwashing.

Like, I'm sure it's super cool going mach 1 or whatever but I'm not going to loving take a dick in the rear end to do it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw an airman wearing cat ears. Not in uniform, as if that makes it any better.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen

Casimir Radon posted:

I saw an airman wearing cat ears. Not in uniform, as if that makes it any better.

Were they intel or comm?

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Korea is kicking my rear end.

I never, ever get sick. But for the last week, I've had the worst cold of my life. I feel like an Aztec who just met the conquistadors. I legit wonder how my head can hold all the mucus I've been hacking up.

I assume the country is cool for people who aren't bedridden.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Softface posted:

Were they intel or comm?
Probably intel. I didn't recognize him.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

Arc Light posted:

Korea is kicking my rear end.

I never, ever get sick. But for the last week, I've had the worst cold of my life. I feel like an Aztec who just met the conquistadors. I legit wonder how my head can hold all the mucus I've been hacking up.

I assume the country is cool for people who aren't bedridden.

Welcome to Korea! You have the "Korean Krud". I was there in 2003 and looking back on it, I probably should have went to the hospital. I was hacking up hard neon green chunks for a month.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

You'll get your sick pack from the pharmacy and whishy washy comments about how your supervisor can give you quarters. Welcome to Korea.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yup the definitely the “Korean Crud”. everyone gets it shortly after arrival. Enjoy your lime green loogies, just in time for yellow dust season.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I'm set to move over there myself in the coming months and oh boy, the fun stories about boarding and life for non-drinkers just has me so excited.

I'm just happy that my career let's me avoid (some) of the squadron-level bullshit.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
I got the Korean Krud in '92-'93, at Osan. Then I discovered soju and don't remember much more about the Krud. I still remember Miss Kim and Miss Lee burgers, though... and ammo bowls! And fried squid, potatoes and shrimp fried in a gigantic oil wok. And the smell of new sneakers

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
It’s pretty much the same except for less obvious prostitution at every bar/establishment.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yeah, but Sally is still here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
True dat, she’s an Osan institution though.