Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum
Navigating the drunk stairs at the Main Gate was fun, is that still a thing? I miss me some bulgogi, though- and kalbi kui!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Yup, still there. But no more Challenger or Mustang to go keep drinking after curfew at, then the inevitable giant fights at 2~3am. Meeemorieeees.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
No longer in the USAF. No IRR, no military obligations. Freedom.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Cenen posted:

No longer in the USAF. No IRR, no military obligations. Freedom.

Just go ahead and save this for later when you start to miss it.

But congrats man, go smoke a weed or whatever civilians do now

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
Okay what's up with those guys that ride around Osan AB on scooters?
I saw them earlier today just blaring their horns down the main road by the theater and I wasn't really sure what to make of it.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it
gently caress me, I just took an assignment to tinker. But my plan is to deploy while I apply at the state department and hopefully get hired by the time my pcs adsc is up.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Belgian Waffle posted:

Okay what's up with those guys that ride around Osan AB on scooters?
I saw them earlier today just blaring their horns down the main road by the theater and I wasn't really sure what to make of it.

Like a group of dudes on scooters riding together? Basically it's kinda the same how you have motorcycle clubs or groups back in the States so they can wank off around their hobby. Scooters (especially Japanese ones like the Honda Ruckus) are popular with folks that are lucky enough to live off base, so it is also another way for them to toot their own horn so to speak.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

AFStealth posted:

gently caress me, I just took an assignment to tinker. But my plan is to deploy while I apply at the state department and hopefully get hired by the time my pcs adsc is up.

:lol: If you have questions PM me. Or ask here, whatever.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Godholio posted:

:lol: If you have questions PM me. Or ask here, whatever.

Thanks. Last time I went through tinker was only for iqt/mqt for a few months. By the end of it I was being monitored for high blood pressure. It went away almost immediately when I moved away. Can't wait to see what 2 years at least will do for me... Though to be fair, after spending 3 years of dealing with JTACs and/or the Army, this might be easier.

AFStealth fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 10, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Most of my squadron buddies who went ALO tried to stay there instead of coming back.

RIP

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Ragaman posted:

Like a group of dudes on scooters riding together? Basically it's kinda the same how you have motorcycle clubs or groups back in the States so they can wank off around their hobby. Scooters (especially Japanese ones like the Honda Ruckus) are popular with folks that are lucky enough to live off base, so it is also another way for them to toot their own horn so to speak.

Most of them are pilots, the 'Pilsung' guys at least. There's also another scooter group that wears 'Intel Mafia' vests. I live in a little housing area that has a bunch of them and since I actually have my real motorcycle (I'm the dude on the blue/silver MT-10, yell something about stairs if you see me around) I get to hear all about how they ride back in the states or whatever.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title
Yeah that's right, I kinda forgot that they are mostly nobles, I didn't really spend any time to delineate between the various groups/cliques of idiots etc while I was there :downs:

I would say hi, but I PCS'd out of the 51 CS to Yokota AB back in November '16. I might be back in 2 and a half years hopefully as a retired contractor though. How long you been there Nullscan, like 8-9 years now? :stare:

nullscan
May 28, 2004

8 total, yeah. Trying to extend out to retirement in 22. Just keep getting bounced around on penn.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Kind of a shot in the dark, but if anyone in here is at Nellis, could you shoot me a PM? I've a few questions and a potential favor to ask, and I always pay my debts.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 15, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

HERITAGE

He was a 120 day TDY

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

HERITAGE

He was a 120 day TDY

Married someone's sloppy seconds right before going overseas, caught up in financial and familial drama involving the ex-husband, adopted the three kids, nagged by new wife who clearly doesn't understand military life, passed over for promotion, angry/drunk, arrested, impersonated officer, stole aircraft.

All but the last two are just your normal enlisted.txt.

Also just a reminder that Hercs are old af.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

Godholio posted:

HERITAGE

He was a 120 day TDY

"Incredibly, Meyer was in radio contact with his wife for much of the flight, with his last words being “Leave me alone for five minutes, I’ve got trouble.”"

loving legend. Gonna get some morale patches made

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Godholio posted:

HERITAGE

He was a 120 day TDY

"Security Forces, confused as to whether or not they were allowed to shoot out the aircraft’s tires, ultimately did little to nothing to stop the aircraft."
haha

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fight, Fly, Win the only escape

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Belgian Waffle posted:

"Security Forces, confused as to whether or not they were allowed to shoot out the aircraft’s tires, ultimately did little to nothing to stop the aircraft."
haha

I'm not sure if this is my favorite part, or where he apparently drove onto the flightline and yelled at a crew chief to upload 60k and they did.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Chris Kyle has a statue and that guy doesnt wtf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Off he went, into the wild blue yonder...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This guy knew the right way to steal an airplane:

quote:

In the early morning hours on July 4th, 1986, 21-year-old Lance Corporal Howard A. Foote Jr. climbed a ladder leading into the cockpit of an A-4M Skyhawk. He started the jet up, taxied to one of Marine Corps Air Station El Toro’s runways—which was unlit at the time—and pushed the throttles forward. Moments later, the Lance Corporal would realize his dream to fly a tactical military jet, albeit just once and illegally.

As news reports at the time recount, Foote flew out toward San Clemente Island, executing loops, rolls and high-speed maneuvers before turning back to MCAS El Toro after about 45 minutes to attempt a landing. This time, the runways were all very well lit and the base was buzzing with activity due to his “borrowing” of the jet.

After several landing attempts, the Skyhawk maintainer put the A-4M down safely and was quickly detained after exiting the cockpit.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-tale-of-when-a-marine-mechanic-stole-an-a-4-skyhawk-1745015819

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They should have gave that man a field commision

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Larry Parrish posted:

They should have gave that man a field commision

read the whole article, USMC did him dirty

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flikken posted:

read the whole article, USMC did him dirty

Holy poo poo lmfao. Its cool that a general pulled rank in civilian life to make one of his troops risk death and didn't even hook him up with safety gear or, like, a reward.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Larry Parrish posted:

Holy poo poo lmfao. Its cool that a general pulled rank in civilian life to make one of his troops risk death and didn't even hook him up with safety gear or, like, a reward.

ONLY TRUST YOUR WITS
FLAG OFFICERS WILL NEVER HELP YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

What's the deal with finding out if you got a line number or not when you test out of cycle?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Friar Zucchini posted:

What's the deal with finding out if you got a line number or not when you test out of cycle?
Check Enlisted Promotions on the AFPC site for supplemental releases monthly.

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr
That and check the usual place to see if you made it. Mine showed up about 45 days later.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If I take the 7-day out when I get a PCS notice, how far out can I put my separation date? Would it be more or less than if I initiate the paperwork before the PCS notice? I was poking through the PCS and ADSC AFIs yesterday but couldn't quite figure it out.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Do you have any commitment remaining?

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

That bad of an assignment, huh?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Godholio posted:

Do you have any commitment remaining?

Nope! Free and clear as of last month and I've got 2 years left on my 4-year assignment

Prop Wash posted:

That bad of an assignment, huh?

Non-vol for an ROTC/SOS instructor tour :( I'd rather not have to sell my house in Denver and put my engineering career on hold.

At least I bothered to ask my career adviser about what my next assignment would likely be way ahead of time. I'm trying to wrap up my Master's at AFIT and get a discount PMP cert before I leave.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 5, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Thunderbird pilot rode it in at Nellis yesterday.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

Fallom posted:

Nope! Free and clear as of last month and I've got 2 years left on my 4-year assignment

Non-vol for an ROTC/SOS instructor tour :( I'd rather not have to sell my house in Denver and put my engineering career on hold.

At least I bothered to ask my career adviser about what my next assignment would likely be way ahead of time. I'm trying to wrap up my Master's at AFIT and get a discount PMP cert before I leave.

I think you can set your separation date up to 6 months out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Thunderbird pilot rode it in at Nellis yesterday.

:smith: drat, god speed pilot.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Good job Lt!

Air Force Officer charged with soliciting graphic photos

It’s even better than it sounds:

quote:

It started in 2012 and “was comprised of members who when going someplace deemed ‘cool’ or coming up with a ‘funny’ idea would take a picture of their penis with something related to the location or object in the picture,” the investigation said.

Defense lawyer Jeremiah J. Sullivan III said no crime was committed and the case was built around what was done privately in a “jovial, joking spirit” among consenting adults.

“The Air Force has spent well over a year investigating this case all over the globe,” Sullivan said. “This was a completely private group that is now embarrassed by Air Force investigators. They’re now being publicly shamed for lawfully and voluntarily sharing their penis pictures. It’s a private matter.”

The partly censored investigation document said Burch told someone not identified that he took his final suggestive selfie at the vice president’s residence while assigned to the security detail.

He was in my OTS class, and funny enough, he’s referred to as 2d Lt when our class would’ve already promoted to 1st Lt. Guess they’re holding off on that promotion for a little while...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

pkells posted:

He was in my OTS class, and funny enough, he’s referred to as 2d Lt when our class would’ve already promoted to 1st Lt. Guess they’re holding off on that promotion for a little while...

quote:

The partly censored investigation document said Burch told someone not identified that he took his final suggestive selfie at the vice president’s residence while assigned to the security detail.

Hold off on promotion!? They need to give this fucker a bird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That man is my hero