Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

in my defense the us has poo poo like the fifth amendment which tells you pretty unambiguously what you need to do when dealing with the law (shut the gently caress up until they beat it out of you)

as far as i can tell the canadian equivalent is pretty nebulous; like i remember looking it up briefly once and it involves legal precedents and if you don't cooperate with the cops that's bad for you but also if they push you too much then maybe that's bad for them if the judge says so? gently caress if i know

You're after section 11(c), and section 8 is the equivalent of the 4th amendment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

in my defense the us has poo poo like the fifth amendment which tells you pretty unambiguously what you need to do when dealing with the law (shut the gently caress up until they beat it out of you)

as far as i can tell the canadian equivalent is pretty nebulous; like i remember looking it up briefly once and it involves legal precedents and if you don't cooperate with the cops that's bad for you but also if they push you too much then maybe that's bad for them if the judge says so? gently caress if i know

canadian lawyer explains that no you should never tell the cops anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60EgjgKlgXM

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

section 11 says exactly the same thing

5a posted:

No person shall . . . be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself. . .

Charter 11c posted:

Any person charged with an offence has the right . . . not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
huh. i could have sworn it was more complicated than that. either i'm massively misremembering what i read back then or... i don't know. law is absolutely not anywhere near my field of expertise or something i've ever had to deal with

still, it's definitely good to know

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

ZeeBoi posted:

lmao chris sky tried to board a plane and was told he’s on a no fly list. Goes on to whine on Instagram and looks like the bitch-made rear end in a top hat that he is.

More like Chris Ground, am I right

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

huh. i could have sworn it was more complicated than that. either i'm massively misremembering what i read back then or... i don't know. law is absolutely not anywhere near my field of expertise or something i've ever had to deal with

still, it's definitely good to know

You have a right to remain silent. However, the police have a right to separate you from your lawyer and interrogate you indefinitely without food or water, and tell you that you can't leave until you cooperate with them, even as you repeatedly invoke your right to remain silent. Her Majesty the Queen v. Singh, 2007.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

You have a right to remain silent. However, the police have a right to separate you from your lawyer and interrogate you indefinitely without food or water, and tell you that you can't leave until you cooperate with them, even as you repeatedly invoke your right to remain silent. Her Majesty the Queen v. Singh, 2007.

just sit on the floor and start making wailing noises until they drug you. will end the encounter and won't hurt you in court

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

you've never had the right to have your lawyer present with you during questioning, section 10c stops indefinite interrogations, but yeah singh should've gotten a new trial in 2007 because if you have to assert your right to something eighteen times and the police keep going then the meaningfulness of that assertion starts to fall apart

nowhere in that decision are the words food or water mentioned though?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

flakeloaf posted:

you've never had the right to have your lawyer present with you during questioning, section 10c stops indefinite interrogations, but yeah singh should've gotten a new trial in 2007 because if you have to assert your right to something eighteen times and the police keep going then the meaningfulness of that assertion starts to fall apart

nowhere in that decision are the words food or water mentioned though?

Most Canadians have watched a lot of American crime shows and might expect to get a lawyer in the interrogation room. And Singh's just a reminder that the cops can violate your rights and get away with it, leaving you a room with no clock until time loses meaning, denying edible food, whatever. Shut the gently caress up is still, as Deep Dish Fuckfest said, the best answer. Don't answer small talk questions, don't say poo poo.

I think there's a notable difference in England, where their version of the Miranda Warning says "it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court".

This is obviously just my C-SPAM Knowledge and I'm not a lawyer.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chamale posted:

I think there's a notable difference in England, where their version of the Miranda Warning says "it may harm your defence if you do not mention, when questioned, something which you later rely on in court".

its still in your best interests to say nothing. never tell captors anything ever, it doesnt matter if you're in saudi arabian prison

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/jen_keesmaat/status/1379529689530765312?s=19

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Starting to think ol' Dougie was a poor choice for premier.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Must... manufacture.. consent..

We have failed our children, health group says as more Ontario school closures announced - https://globalnews.ca/news/7741070/childrens-health-coalition-ontario-school-closures-covid/

quote:

The group, made up of childrens hospitals and health-care organizations, called on the government to do everything in their power to have schools reopened where they have closed and save the school year.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Oh wow this "Childrens Health Coalition" supports paid sick leave and a whole bunch of other poo poo that is guaranteed to not happen but you know what they are in favor of? Opening schools. Well, I think in spite of differences we might be able to find some common ground and meet these folks halfway! :downs:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
https://twitter.com/mbalazo/status/1380190135120171013?s=20

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://twitter.com/haib3l/status/1380228501555589123

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

conservatives believe in small efficient government that gets out of your way

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
A government so small it can't pay teachers and closes all the hospitals. But hey, at least there's no taxes on haircuts over $500 or whatever the gently caress

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

i feel like this clip went unappreciated in the main dd forum canada thread for how loving awful this ghoul is

https://twitter.com/ShelleyACook/status/1379923804034490368?s=20

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

our lives sucked but now that we're on top we can promise your lives will suck at least as badly, that is our pledge to you

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

i feel like this clip went unappreciated in the main dd forum canada thread for how loving awful this ghoul is

:guillotine:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DariusLikewise posted:

why cant we have a good society loving hell

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DariusLikewise posted:

What a garbage human.

I have no idea how the sign language guy doesnt just flip off the camera and walk away. I admire his restraint.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

I like how he was a teacher for 2 years 30 years ago

Also it's incredibly helpful to cut education funds from property tax 25% this year and 25% next year.

Just insane how he can talk like that how he's looking out for the little guy, when clearly he's bought and paid for by monied interests.

Guaranteed he's out to costa rica when the travel bans let up, and he's not coming back

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

I like how he was a teacher for 2 years 30 years ago

Also it's incredibly helpful to cut education funds from property tax 25% this year and 25% next year.

Just insane how he can talk like that how he's looking out for the little guy, when clearly he's bought and paid for by monied interests.

Guaranteed he's out to costa rica when the travel bans let up, and he's not coming back

im fairly certain he plans to retire in the fall, sounds like they are lining up heather stefanson as the next leader as well

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
So they're so short on ICU nurses in ontario now they're training doctors to be nurses. loving lol.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBC posted:

So they're so short on ICU nurses in ontario now they're training doctors to be nurses. loving lol.

lol owned

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

im fairly certain he plans to retire in the fall, sounds like they are lining up heather stefanson as the next leader as well

Here's to hoping his retirement is as enjoyable as Flaherty's was. :)

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

RBC posted:

great, cool, awesome

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

RBC posted:

Hell yeah force-feminize the doctors

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

RBC posted:

Lmbo. Everything is fine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
I don't get how every health care worker in ontario isn't in open revolt

a year ago, ok, new virus, sure we're ignoring information from overseas but either way there's gonna be some overtime whatcha gonna do

now, after a year of constant overtime with barely adequate (?) supplies, a self-imposed surge in hospitalizations and more overtime? if it were me I'd be mad as hell, if I wasn't completely exhausted

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
modern capitalism keeps everyone on the edge of ruin so they can't complain about the shittiest of poo poo working conditions without becoming a homeless unperson

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i imagine that the average healthcare worker is also less callous than the average politician and they're well aware that any time they spend doing anything other than their jobs means more deaths

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://twitter.com/akurjata/status/1380654598990495752

amazing. how are we so bad at this.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

i imagine that the average healthcare worker is also less callous than the average politician and they're well aware that any time they spend doing anything other than their jobs means more deaths

Same with teachers.

Yeah, they could just walk away, but they got into that job because they care. And these manipulating governments know this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Same with teachers.

Yeah, they could just walk away, but they got into that job because they care. And these manipulating governments know this.

Same energy as when right-wing politicians hold bills to ransom saying "I'll veto this bill unless you make it worse" but left-wing politicians don't do the same thing saying "I'll veto this bill unless you make it better"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Years of experience.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-universal-basic-income-1.5982862

Libs cant fix the money faucet! its just spraying everywhere. brrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Another delegate named Linda — who also did not give her last name — said she worries that a change to the capital gains tax might open the door to the federal government taxing the sale of primary residences.

maybe primary residences should never have been an investment vehicle? oh well, too late now. soft landing.