Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
While banned from having firearms.

Sounds like a good kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

toronto's already been sliding this way for a while, what with most lower income housing in need of serious repair or way past their lifespan. the housing market, condo development and general disdain for social programs amongst many torontonians means this process will continue unabated.

incidentally toronto rates high on the quality of life index, along with vancouver and san francisco in North America, which goes to show you how important inequality is to being considered a nice place to live. montreal being the exception although it's still relatively expensive compared to much of quebec

I pay 1450 a month for a lovely old apartment that had no heat for a week. At least it has friendly cockroaches

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

oh it's way better than that

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/staff-at-bitcoin-business-bound-by-armed-bandits-police

three morons got a bunch of guns and broke into the brick-and-mortar office of a bitcoin company to try to convince them to send butts to an address, but one of the five employees of that company called police

:stare:

wow good thing those technolibertarians were protected by the state

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/956158783386013696

gently caress you justin

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Food: $200
Data: $150
Rent: $800
The Keg: $3, 600
Utility: $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this.
my family is dying.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The Keg: $3, 600
my family is dying.

LAVs: $3, 600
my family is dying.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

"Someone else's family are dying"

C'mon man. One job.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
government revenues:
income tax $150 billion
corporate tax $41 billion
gst 33 billion
excise and duty 66 billion
crown corps 60 billion
offshore tax losses and evasion MINUS FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS

help i can't find the money to stop running 30 billion dollar deficits and fund mental health

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

government revenues:
income tax $150 billion
gst 33 billion
crown corps 60 billion

help i can't find the money to stop running 30 billion dollar deficits and fund mental health

how much from brown people murder tanks LAVs

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

how much from brown people murder tanks LAVs

the government gets like maybe 10 million a year in tax revenue from that deal? it's pretty gently caress-all

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

the company that produces brown-killing lavs is actually american, all we really get out of it is like 2100 manufacturing jobs at their plant in london, ON

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

death to ontario

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
ontario accepts its existence as terrible in exchange for getting decide most federal elections

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

ontario is the only truly canadian province, with the exception of quebec (the only canadien province), the prairies are just mike-pence land but colder, alberta is just texas but smaller, british columbia is just washington but bigger, the maritimes might as well not exist outside of victorian literature, and newfoundland wasn't even part of the country until the british dumped it on us. don't @ me.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

ontario accepts its existence as terrible in exchange for getting decide most federal elections

If people outside of quebec and ontario want to decide elections, they should improve their birthrate stop being intolerant racist shitheads so immigrants actually like living there

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

oh it's way better than that

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/staff-at-bitcoin-business-bound-by-armed-bandits-police

three morons got a bunch of guns and broke into the brick-and-mortar office of a bitcoin company to try to convince them to send butts to an address, but one of the five employees of that company called police

:stare:

THIS IS A STICK-UP

PUT ALL YOUR IMAGINARY MONEY IN THIS IMAGINARY BAG

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fallen Hamprince posted:

ontario is the only truly canadian province, with the exception of quebec (the only canadien province), the prairies are just mike-pence land but colder, alberta is just texas but smaller, british columbia is just washington but bigger, the maritimes might as well not exist outside of victorian literature, and newfoundland wasn't even part of the country until the british dumped it on us. don't @ me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaE9vlrhX-k

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

does anyone actually know if the maritimes exist, like have anyone every actually been there?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

UNLESS I SEE 500 BANANACOINS EVERYONE IN THIS BUILDING IS DEAD

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

HAND OVER THE BLOCKCHAIN NERD

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

does anyone actually know if the maritimes exist, like have anyone every actually been there?

Ya everyone there is super racist and always drunk. Like Alberta with fish

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
the maritimes are actually petty fedual kingdoms run by boring WASP axe murderers

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

vyelkin posted:

also James Baud has a bad habit of responding to perfectly ordinary CanPol posts with unprovoked personal attacks on the poster for some reason, so there's that

he's previously banned poster sassafras, if that means anything to anyone

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Yinlock posted:

UNLESS I SEE 500 BANANACOINS EVERYONE IN THIS BUILDING IS DEAD

it's me, the genius armed robber who doesn't check the whole building for employees

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

government revenues:
income tax $150 billion
gst 33 billion
crown corps 60 billion

Do you have a source for this

Because I believe it and it is interesting

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

Somebody's not in their '50s (rolls eyes)

Dreylad posted:

the maritimes are actually petty fedual kingdoms run by boring WASP axe murderers

Truth

Feudal isn't a bad way to describe them - good 'ol boys dominate the business and politics there, and use their power so squash anybody who 1) wants change or 2) could build a business to challenge them economically. There is a reason why Canadian tycoons like the Irvings, the Sobeys, the McCains etc all grew out of the Maritimes - because the pols were small enough that they were easy to make minions of. A second aspect (and I suspect this is a Canada thing, not just a Maritime thing) whatever unions that could remain functional, such as public service unions, could defend their members jobs, which surprise surprise mostly involved making time you've been there holy. In addition to this, pols could squeeze public sector jobs (which have good pay and benefits) for patronage, which gave the the pols an interest in the walling off of good jobs to politically connected insiders, too. This walling off was a giant "gently caress you, got mine" to anybody born after 1980

So guess what

All the young people who could, left. Also smart people who didn't feel like having the rug pulled out from under them once some richer thought them slightly annoying also left. So all the people who 1) could have reformed the system to make it better, or 2) was not happy becoming dirt poor or a minion of the wallers also left.

So now

there are no young people to form a tax base for all the olds that remain there. New Brunswick and Newfoundland will probably declare bankruptcy in the next decade: NB has had this coming for a long time, they've been trying to cut their way to prosperity for like 30 years now and the inbred aristocrats running the place just don't get that doesn't fuckin' work. NL has hosed itself over quite theatrically by in a moment of prosperity deciding to bet the farm on a new hydro development that is slowly causing its bankruptcy ever since as it turns out oil isn't going to have permanently high prices forever. If memory serves, Alberta has 10% of its GDP linked directly to oil production, while NL has 39%.

While pigfucking incompetence plays a part, there's also that 1) these are comparatively small provinces, and shittily diversified. So it'd make sense that the economic winds sometimes favor them, and sometimes do not. Paul Krugman talked about the "gambler's ruin" of small cities in America, and I think the Atlantic provinces are similar. NL being the headliner here makes sense, as formerly their economy was based on fishing, which has all the disadvantages of agriculture combined with the disadvantages of relying on poorly understood natural processes to replenish that resource, only having to move onto oil. Oil which is good quality but needs enormous investment from oil companies to extract it, which means you *really* want to be sure the billion or so you spend on that offshore oil platform is going to be worth it

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

it's me, the genius armed robber who doesn't check the whole building for employees

every second spent checking for dumb poo poo like that is another precious bananacoin lost to the cyber network

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

All the young people who could, left. Also smart people who didn't feel like having the rug pulled out from under them once some richer thought them slightly annoying also left. So all the people who 1) could have reformed the system to make it better, or 2) was not happy becoming dirt poor or a minion of the wallers also left.

So now

there are no young people to form a tax base for all the olds that remain there.

actually i think youll find that the young people were leeches taking all of MY tax dollars and furthermore

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
i bought into WEED today, how dumb am i for doing so now

R. Guyovich posted:

he's previously banned poster sassafras, if that means anything to anyone

stop stepping on canpol, he is swagger like us and we refuse to believe anything else

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Weed is fine, worry not

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2017/11/06/paradise-papers-show-ottawa-must-crack-down-on-offshore-tax-havens-editorial.html

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I'm back in Kimberley guys and the Montanas at the hotel here has closed down what is happening to this country.

It's been replaced by some fancy rear end restaurant millenials probably eat at instead of saving for a house.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

The actual revenue numbers are from the 2017 budget doc, I squished some of the numbers together under single headers for simplicity sake but you get the idea

The offshore tax thing?

and also https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/13/canada-misses-out-on-nearly-50-billion-in-tax-each-year.html

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

zeal posted:

america is lahey, canada is randy

hell yeah ive been looking 4 a good gif of that 4 years

hi canadians, i could have been one of u if certain ancestors never decided to return 2 the country that their grandparents fled from because they knew america was hosed since 1776 (UEI loyalists)

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.thestar.com/news/queenspark/2018/01/24/tory-leader-patrick-brown-denies-allegations-of-misconduct.html

im surprised it took this long for these to resurface given that they were floating around around the last leadership race

Nebakenezzer posted:

Truth

Feudal isn't a bad way to describe them - good 'ol boys dominate the business and politics there, and use their power so squash anybody who 1) wants change or 2) could build a business to challenge them economically. There is a reason why Canadian tycoons like the Irvings, the Sobeys, the McCains etc all grew out of the Maritimes - because the pols were small enough that they were easy to make minions of. A second aspect (and I suspect this is a Canada thing, not just a Maritime thing) whatever unions that could remain functional, such as public service unions, could defend their members jobs, which surprise surprise mostly involved making time you've been there holy. In addition to this, pols could squeeze public sector jobs (which have good pay and benefits) for patronage, which gave the the pols an interest in the walling off of good jobs to politically connected insiders, too. This walling off was a giant "gently caress you, got mine" to anybody born after 1980

So guess what

So now

there are no young people to form a tax base for all the olds that remain there. New Brunswick and Newfoundland will probably declare bankruptcy in the next decade: NB has had this coming for a long time, they've been trying to cut their way to prosperity for like 30 years now and the inbred aristocrats running the place just don't get that doesn't fuckin' work. NL has hosed itself over quite theatrically by in a moment of prosperity deciding to bet the farm on a new hydro development that is slowly causing its bankruptcy ever since as it turns out oil isn't going to have permanently high prices forever. If memory serves, Alberta has 10% of its GDP linked directly to oil production, while NL has 39%.

While pigfucking incompetence plays a part, there's also that 1) these are comparatively small provinces, and shittily diversified. So it'd make sense that the economic winds sometimes favor them, and sometimes do not. Paul Krugman talked about the "gambler's ruin" of small cities in America, and I think the Atlantic provinces are similar. NL being the headliner here makes sense, as formerly their economy was based on fishing, which has all the disadvantages of agriculture combined with the disadvantages of relying on poorly understood natural processes to replenish that resource, only having to move onto oil. Oil which is good quality but needs enormous investment from oil companies to extract it, which means you *really* want to be sure the billion or so you spend on that offshore oil platform is going to be worth it

my wife did some work down there and managed to interview one of the irvings briefly before one of their media people showed up and realized what was going on and immediately cancelled the whole thing, they're nuts.

I think what's amazing is that the maritimes were the source of some pretty radical economic ideas (at the time) the last time they were in financial ruin: the antigonish movement and the co-ops.

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Jan 25, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If the opposing party's education plan led to teenagers who knew how to repel sexual advances from elected officials, I'd want to shout it down too.

Looks like Team OPC are blasting off again

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
Guy is unmarried and doesn't drink, obviously there was something up with him

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

https://twitter.com/aradwanski/status/956399417182978048

calling up caucus members to tell that he's not owned while his entire staff quits one by one

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

is... is canada bad? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Man this is the best loving news. I’m so excited