Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
there's something sublime about the presser being held in his mom's basement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
tbh he's not wrong, but is actually just describing what working up north is like regardless of race

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Ardent Communist posted:

For me, I think it's purely about leadership style, or lack thereof. I recently got promoted (second rung of the ladder, woo!) at a large warehouse, for a delivery company. Somebody else got a similar promotion, and it's funny to me how different our styles are. Whereas myself, of course (see username), puts the people I'm responsible for first, protecting them for undue criticism or assisting them personally when conditions require, his style is much more managerial. "This person is doing this wrong, this person needs to start doing this more," etc. and communicating that up the chain, so that higher management starts cracking down.
But nobody is as dumb as to not realise where the complaints are coming from, so the people on the line have started to resent that. So now people that may have only needed a gentle reminder of their responsibilities, or perhaps a short period of help so they can focus on a separate, more time sensitive responsibility, are finding themselves under greater and greater criticism, and resenting their immediate supervisor for doing more observing them for mistakes than helping them not make them. At a certain point, they may even start internalising that criticism, which causes them to start doubting themselves, and the work falls off even more.
You can either be a leader or a manager, a leader leads from example, and a manager regards their workers as cogs that must be made to fit, and perhaps use the hammer (of disciplinary tools) to fit. I've actually had my supervisor saying that I've been helping too much, that people are going to rely on me and start slacking off, but I disagree. If you work hard, and they see you working hard, they'll appreciate it. If you are unable to help at a certain time because of other responsibilities, they'll be more likely to pick up the slack, not less, because they appreciate your help, they don't want you to get in trouble, and they know that if they make mistakes, it will be communicated to them personally, in a congenial way.
Everybody likes being complimented, especially if it is a result of them trying to work harder. Before they have any chance of getting better, they have to believe they can get better, and if they trust you, they'll listen when you say how they can get better, and when you compliment them on their improvement.

Of course, it's not purely about leadership style, as a marxist I have to look at the material conditions, which are paramount. I'm helped in my style because I will always take the workers side against management, unless it's a behaviour so explicitly and purposely ruinous that I can't do anything to protect them, despite efforts. If they are unable to focus because they are starving, (a scenario I've heard affects young disadvantaged children in school) then that is a material condition that needs to be corrected first, before style comes into it. If boozing is practically the only thing to do, then there should be more productive (or fun!) things to do in that community.
As it results to the topic at hand, shouldn't their supervisors know that they're going to miss work for the pow-wow, or be getting drinks with them after work, after a good day's work, as motivation to show up sober, rather than sneering down their noses at "the others" and showing no ability to emphasize. And yes, even being able to forgive errors is helpful in the long term, since everyone makes mistakes or has bad days.

Lastly, capitalism delenda est.

Yeah this jives a lot with my experience. Not knowing pow wow season is coming is like not knowing Christmas is coming and I can't imagine being so detached from the people you work with that you don't know.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

namaste friends posted:

Maybe next time americans.

winter olympics really is affirmative action for white people

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
the forums will be a crappier place by his absence but live by the shitpost die by the shitpost

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Agag posted:

Agreed on both counts.

Why wouldn't Ford win?

for all his failings it does seem that Rob cared about his nation deeply and his concept of that nation didn't seem to extend past Etobicoke. Doug on the other hand is very transparently power hungry and probably thinks he'll be PM one day tbh

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
actual conversation at work today,

breathlessly watching cp24 with the only person able to run chrome when we first get a glimpse of the obviously white dude.

"phew, glad it wasn't a terrorist"

i did literally lol

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Suspicious posted:

what was rob ford's agenda, anyway? stop the "gravy train"?

Literally just returning every call, which to be fair is more than most politicians.

There were many days when he would spend all day driving around the city responding to messages people had left for him and probably smoking crack. Some great anecdotal stories of Rob showing up to a neighborhood to respond to someone complaining about a pot hole. He'd show up in a convoy of 2-3 giant SUVs and would p much call 311 and hang out until a city person showed up to plug the hole.

For all his buffoonery he was p charming and you did get the sense he cared about "the people" neither of which is remotely true of his brother

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

vyelkin posted:

Alberta is the province where you move from Newfoundland to get a job and then get really upset when your taxes go to supporting the quality of life in Newfoundland.

there's an old joke about how the worst thing about alberta is people from ontario but i guess eastern canada is apropos

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Another Bill posted:

So based on only my own intuition, I'm not sure BC is on board to be clumped in with the prairies.

Am I wrong?

ime aside from the lower mainland, BC is more like alberta in terms of raw fygm

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

autism ZX spectrum posted:

The whole thing really shows how centrist/right leaning the "Liberal" party is. If they were even slightly actually leftist they wouldn't care about shitcanning far-right groups because those aren't the people voting for them anyway and it would actually win favors with their voter base. For whatever reason the libs are doing their best to be Conservatives but slower and less obvious about it.

I've had at least a couple of people try to frame it as like 3D-chess with this being a way of splitting the conservative vote to ensure another decade of Trudeau. I don't believe it and i am sure even if it was intended that way it will 100% blow up in their faces.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKdJ6DnPhzk

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Terror Sweat posted:

Where do you buy cartridges for a vape in Ontario. Do the weed stores have em?

concentrates are still verboten; if you want em you will either need to make your own (lol) or go grey market

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
just lol if you've never butchugged adderal

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

zero impetus to be good at it

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I used to imagine a "cottage" as a 5-600 sq ft cabin, a quaint off-the-grid thing. Instead most people have a second home on the lake, in an on the lake neighborhood with every single amenity of their first home, making the whole affair largely pointless. I don't understand why you'd need uninterrupted electricity at your summer getaway, isn't this exactly what loving solar should be for? Fuckin, organize your idiot cottage community into solar micro grids if you're that butt mad about it.

the economics of owning a cottage are such that most cottages are nicer than most "family" homes

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

priznat posted:

They killed an American which is like, 1.35x the murder at these exchange rates

you forgot the florida modifier which probably brings it down to parity (race & income dependant of course)

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Professorjuggalo posted:

I have a friend who’s an engineer in the military and the canadian armed forces have to be more racist/sexist/stupider than our American counterparts, idk if it’s from less oversight or the some demonic canadian poo poo

figured it had a lot to do with how diverse the American military is compared to us, something like 10% of the cf is visible minorities vs closer to 40% in the usa

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Bi-la kaifa posted:

How can I get this money in exchange for awful poetry?

probably helps if your last name is rogers

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

Chillyrabbit posted:

Franks magazine has another article on our favourite national police force and the Portapique shooting. Leaked Security Video

It looks like the SIRT report is a complete lie on how GW was killed. The surveillance tapes show that GW stopped at a PetroCan where he tried to fill up his car, several RCMP officers observe him before he drives off to his final location the Irving Big Stop where he was killed.

At the Big Stop the 2 surveillance videos show how much of a lie the "coincidental" meeting is. GW is sitting in his car when an RCMP truck pulls up 2 officers jump out and shoot him. I won't comment on if it was a good shoot or not, since we can't see what GW is doing in his car but the deception of the SIRT report is bad, do RCMP normally draw their gun to refuel?

SIRT Report (PDF)

probably worth mentioning that the msm response pretty much across the board has been calls to prosecute frank magazine for publishing the 911 call

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

eXXon posted:

He has won every election he ever ran in, as far as I know. 1x school board, 1x city council by-election, 1x council election, and now 1x provincial election. Pretty impressive for a 28-year-old career politician with the following pre-politics resume:

- graduated high school
- split time between Humber College and Deco Labels and Tags, the Ford family business, where he's listed as an account executive.
- counsellor at Camp Kandalore in the Algonquin Highlands and, according to Doug Ford, the holder of a pilot's license for light aircraft.

don't forget his canniest political move; changing his legal surname to match his mother's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I was catching up with someone today who said that the Ford government sent someone over the Queens to hint that they're going to make university funding dependant on job placement upon graduation, which will pretty much kill the liberal arts and turn the universities into vocational schools (more than they already have been since the 70's).

People were not joking about the tyranny of the petite bourgeoise.

e: I just realized this mean RMC would be eligible for the most funding in the country, since they have a 100% job placement rate with no exceptions.

this started back in 2020 and was a big a part of the Laurentian thing a few year's ago though most reporting focused almost exclusively on foreign students.