Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Trudeau (and other party leaders) will apparently be at a climate protest in Montreal.

I hope he gets heckled. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Hmmm, this feels biased somehow

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Jan posted:

Aren't you looking forward to a PM Charest majority government!? :woop:

A reminder that Charest was so bad a PM he woke the usually apathetic Quebec voters into the worst protests the Province had seen in decades.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
corona-virus panic is official today. god drat lol.

pm: "plez no assembly of more than 250 people"

people: HOLY poo poo TOILET PAPER NOW!
-gang rush all possible groceries-

Hmm yess. That's it. Spread it around. Good. Good!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Dolash posted:

Trying to figure out if I qualify for this new $2k benefit thing, it feels like some of the qualifications are unclear and we can't even start applying for it for ten days.

loving means testing. My case seems like exactly what they're talking about but I know as soon as I start looking up the qualifications there'll be something about how many hours I worked at my last job or how long until my next job or whatever else.

same here. I’ve been through these hoops before and there is no way there isn’t a billion hurdles to get half the amount they’re offering.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I know there are more factors than simple numbers when it comes to statistical deaths but... seing BC at 882 cases and 17 death while QC is at 2 840 cases for 22 deaths makes me wonder if maybe they're not properly testing in British-Columbia.

This came about because a friend starting clamoring that "the curve is flattening!" in Canada and I feel it might be a bit too early to call. A quick overview seems to indicate most places are not enforcing the measures they're clamoring to do on top of not testing...

bah!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m on social assistance here in QC. i had just started a contract the month before the pandemic thing as a sub contractor for another contractor. it was only 600$ more a month and it helped immensely, it was to be for 3 months, then off for a month then more next summer. but now everything is off the table since things are “complete” for now. I’m registered as an autonomous worker with Social Assistance, and the theory is that social assistance is on while my revenue is less. but my situation has been so poo poo i’ve been stuck in it for two years and only did two months ago my situation start to change, fleetingly.

I read the “unless you made 5000$ last year” thing on the CERB and feel I’m basically shafted to go back to my lovely SA income that is gonna put me indebted again. This loving boot just doesn’t want to get off my face.

This thread is making want to say gently caress it and try, but I’m so used to people in my condition getting shafted fast, incredibly commonly.

I haven’t even asked Social Assistance to see if they would allow me to switch my assistance to the CERB system since I fear that would just flag me instantly in their files. I just don’t know. Everybody around me seems to be doing laps of victory with their checks coming in, sometimes making more than they did with their part time job. And here I am being basically branded a loving parasite if I even look at that money for assistance.

URGH

Popoto has issued a correction as of 11:52 on Apr 17, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Martian Manfucker posted:

similar situation to yours: stuff fell through at the start of the pandemic, i need the money, but i'm just under the income cutoff to get it. i applied anyway and took the money because i didn't want to be homeless, and i was hungry and my dog needed insulin and food. if you're looking for someone to tell you it's okay to take the money, i'm telling you it's okay to take the money.

i mean, im sure it's ok now to take it, but my worry is: "oh, we are coming after you like a rabid dog in 2 years time" and woops: here's a surprise 8 000$ debt you owe to the government. What's that you also touched assistance during this? Oh it's more like 12 000$ you owe us. Also back interests. gently caress u, pay us or go bankrupt (I know government doesn't gently caress around when they are asking for their money, you basically have six months to take a bank loan or they repo your rear end (and good luck getting a loan if you have no income)). If I apply for it while being on SA, it would put me around 2700$ a month and that feels insane and I really don't feel like I would deserve this. I'm so incredibly conflicted like you have no idea.

I'm also planning on moving to Europe to go live with my fiancee later this year (to live together yes, but also help me financially by inviting me to live with them in their own payed house, to remove the "renting" part of my life right now), but now everything is out the window until travel is re-instituted again. What if I'm over there, applying for residency, and then suddenly they boot me off because I they find out I owe money to the Canadian government.

I'm scared shitless and, again, I feel I shouldn't touch this while everyone around me is doing so. Or so it seems. Who knows. gently caress me.

I just got done paying of 20 000$ in debt recently, took me forever (ten years) as you can imagine. I really don't want to add 12 000$ more in two years because of a 4 months hiccup.

I'm sorry, I know this is rambly. here's the TLDR list to summarize:

• on social assistance through the provincial government (not employment insurance)
  • obtained a contract for 600$-ish a month, a month before the pandemic, things fell through
  • planning to move out of the country in june, to go live with fiancee in Europe, but things are on hold
  • fearful as gently caress to touch the CERB in this situation
  • fearful it could jeopardize my goals of moving countries because of a sudden debt to the government
  • fearful i would end up with like 12 000$ more in debt in a year or two

Popoto has issued a correction as of 12:39 on Apr 17, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Rutibex posted:

Odd that people under the income cut-off would get through. Thats the one piece of information they already have access to, it wouldn't even take a human review to deny those claims automatically.

they're sending the money out without check and balances right now. they mostly ask you to pinky swear you're not defrauding them according to their requirements. So anyone that wants to apply can. there's also big red letters telling you it is a crime if you apply for this and you don't fit the requirements, so watch out!!!!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I'd just like to have a bit more than a 100$ a month for food right now and be able to pay my internet bill.

/edit2 if people are wondering how i could have been so bad with money i accumulated 20 000$ in debt: it was over 10 years, and i was basically unemployable because of chronic migraines (8-12 a month, with cool symptoms such as nausea, loss of consciousness, photophobia, etc.), but not sick enough to be eligible for anything but social assistance. So the cost of life has just slowly squeezed me for ten years until i lucked into some money to help me pay off everything (inheritance).

Migraines have gone down to 0-1 a month gradually in the past year, so I'm just now restarting this stupid life and can pick up work. love being where people where financially at 20, but as a 35 years old. hard as gently caress to appear "employable" too.

I feel like i gotta justify myself constantly for everything I do financially, thus this TMI post.

/meltdown

Popoto has issued a correction as of 12:48 on Apr 17, 2020

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Just talked to SA to declare my revenue for march. Asked them about the whole situation at the same time, without delving into too much details. Her bottom line was this: just let us know if you are afforded the CERB, and we'll take you off the assistance. You'll have to re-apply again once the CERB ends.

Hmm.

Thinking. I think this is worth the hoops.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I've run out of EI three years ago (so too long ago to qualify?), and I definitely went back down under 1000$ a month once this contract stopped, if I count the assistance (went from around 1300$ in march back down to 740$ (just the assistance)).

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

Only if you've made $5,000 in employment or self-employment income in either the last 12 months, or in calendar year 2019. "You can get some CERB if you make $1000 or less" is replacing "your income needs to have dropped down to exactly zero", but "you need to have made $5,000 in employment income" is still there.

ugh, great. So im hosed. I'll eat my shoes for a few months / rack up credit card debt on food if needed. just when you think you're out of the gutter... i'll take comfort in knowing this is prob the case for thousands and thousands of people. company through misery

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Makes you wonder how many people that barely read stuff, or don't have a good comprehension of english, apply for this, get automatically approved, and then will receive a surprise tax/repo next year or not so long after.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Isizzlehorn posted:

Concern trolling paying the money back fails to contextualize that this thing won't be over until 2022. At minimum. There'll be money needed for much, much longer than 16 weeks. Might as well start now, even bet this will bloom into pandemic UBI for all by August.

I've heard through back channels, from people working with UBI movements in Canada and in touch with some ministers, that there are current talks going on privately to implement such a measure, but that they're trying to figure out how they can pass it without it becoming a weapon against them through the conservatives later on. Or something like that.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Rutibex posted:

I think you can apply for CERB if you are making less than $1000 per month now?

I fit all the requirements, but since I was fully on social security last year (IE:did not make 5000$), it seems I just deserve to get back on it (got a contract I promptly lost).

alas! can’t have too many people with money to spend in the economy, that would be bad.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

The good thing about about this, from an intellectual standpoint, is that it is gonna show you very quickly who is capable of critical thought and who just regurgitate government speech points.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Like I knew financial pressure would eventually make the province go "actually, it's ok to go out and catch it even with no known treatment" because capitalism is pissed off right now, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

eric ciaramella posted:

95% approval rating

that’s been dropping fast in the past week. just sayin

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

EvilJoven posted:

As much as I want CERB to stick around it's not gonna. Hell, a lot of you folks posting in this thread would have starved to death already if the minimum wage serfs knew they had the option to say gently caress this and quit their jobs and still get essentially full time minimum wages coming in monthly.

None of you are gonna do a shift as an uber eats driver or in a grocery store aisle to keep our society running and you aren't gonna be thrilled when everything costs what it ought to in order to convince anyone else to do these lovely jobs.

If only we could feed people lacking funds... alas!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Pinterest Mom posted:

CERB is really weird because nobody's checking for eligibility, the benefits are flat, and the government has stapled-on not super well thought-out additions to it as problems arose. I think he's making a technocratic point re: "when people lose their jobs in July, should Parliament prefer they apply for benefits through CERB, or through EI".

They're definitely gonna check for eligibility post pandemic, and will punish case by case the poorest that picked it out of desperation. They will also implement draconian austerity measures piecemeal to pay for it, all while lowering the share of the nation's economy paid by corporations.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

if it’s any comfort, the vast majority of quebecers hate these poo poo heads whose only purpose is generating drama with their lovely stupid ideas for Quebecor Media. They lack a proper leftist newspaper, and instead only have succ central through LaPresse and Fox News lite with all Quebecor related stuff.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DariusLikewise posted:

what the gently caress, stop opening things you loving morons

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/status/1285606998285918208?s=20

the economy will not be denied its birth giving right of invisible handing the poor away!!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

flakeloaf posted:

Imperial Japan was an awful regime that had to be stopped, and firebombing cities knowing full well you were slaughtering civilians was just a thing everyone did back then, but I just can't bring myself to use the word "necessary" to describe a quarter-million or so people, including children, being set on fire. I suppose that makes me an awful person because something like a million people had been killed by conventional bombing of Japan before then, and I've never once condemned that

I'm happy I'm not in charge of those sorts of decisions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RceLAhPOS9Q

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

prom candy posted:

that's actually a good point I don't know why I keep trying to predict things when I just keep being completely wrong and in ways I never could have imagined

chaos reigns

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
cross posting

https://twitter.com/benrabidoux/status/1316735123627429889?s=21

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Title seen in the newspaper today "The american middle class isn't spared by poverty anymore."

just lol

lib media gonna lib

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Crossposting:

17% to 19% of Quebecers would not reach the viable income threshold
https://www.lapresse.ca/affaires/economie/2020-11-18/de-17-a-19-des-quebecois-n-atteindraient-pas-le-seuil-de-revenu-viable.php

Tldr: Turns out the minimum salary is under the amount needed to have your basic needs met. Shock!

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I still wonder to this day if I shouldn't have taken the CERB despite being ineligible for not making enough the year before. So many did, and now we have the numbers to prove it. I just couldn't take the gamble of being hosed by the taxman in the coming years I'm poor as gently caress and in enough debt as it is. If there's one constant in the this universe, it's that poor people always, eventually, get the shaft. Unless the philosophy around capital changes in the next few years, I'm still sure that my poor friends that took the gamble might get hosed, one at a time, in silence, with a nasty government bill to pay back what they "owe".

That extra 2000$ I could have put aside would be extremely welcome right now. Sigh.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

infernal machines posted:

Word of advice, when it comes to the CRA, do not "gently caress around and find out". If you have to even consider the consequences, you are too poor to be loving with the CRA. They will get their money from you and the less you have the more it's going to cost you in interest in penalties to pay it back.

I don't begrudge anyone for taking CERB benefits, least of all the destitute, but if you have enough to get by on, and don't actually qualify for CERB, you're going to end up paying it back and then some.

Exactly my thought process back then. I'm actually planning to emigrate to a poorer, less costly country anyway, where my fiancee lives, and having to deal with financial poo poo like this before going away was of no interest to me. I'll try my luck someplace else.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

When the bank messed up my tax payment they sent me a letter 1.5 years later. I don't think CRA uses email to notify people, it might be a scam.

they deal with me by email but I have my account set up with them online. double check for sure to make sure it’s legit. might be able to clear the error st the same time if it is legit.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
It's like a -nice- little sprint before the end! A proper 3rd act ending.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's an argument to be made that the nationalist movement the 60s was left-wing and not racist.

Lol at today's though.

a lot of modern, quebec bashing anglos from the ROC often like to pass under the rug that Quebecers where for the longest time the slaves of Canada until the quiet revolution. you still got some fossils alive today that believe it should go back to that.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
thankfully Quebec Solidaire is on the rise as a proper leftist party and seems to be slowly getting into things other than identity politics, hopefully they also ditch the independence part at some point, but it’s so low key I’ve known a lot of Anglo federalist also vote their way. a CAQ/QS duality would be quite funny news wise I feel like.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Legault Tuesday: "All is good, no need to adjust measures to new variants, open 'er up!"
Legault Wednesday: "Shut... down... EVERYTHING!"

lol the tonal whiplash.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-universal-basic-income-1.5982862

Libs can’t fix the money faucet! it’s just spraying everywhere. brrrrrrrrr

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

lol “Operation SCEPTRE”
also lol the filter

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
lol

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Greyhound shutting down in Canada. how many people/towns will this strand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Testicular Torque Wrench posted:

the english took away french-canadians's right to property until the quebec act lmao
je ne suis pas un partisan ''die-hard'' de l'idée de la négritude blanche, mais je trouve la comparaison extrêmement apte à plusieurs niveaux. Je comprend la controverse du terme; j'en prend responsabilité. Mais l'idée prétendue de la solidarité blanche anglo-franco est risible. Les québecois sont beaucoup plus près des premières nations que des anglophones.

il faut comprendre que depuis la parution de ce livre, il y a eu bien des avancées. c’est clair que lorsque le livre a été écrit, il était d’actualité. je pense que ça reste bien de l’avoir comme preuve du passé: son texte et l’histoire de son auteur démontre bien la réalité différente de l’époque.

il reste bien des préjugés encore aujourd’hui de la part des anglos, mais je ne pense pas qu’il y aient bien des doutes quand à la place propriétaire maintenant occupé par les francos.

La révolution tranquille était le fruit de bien des années d’oppression, et il faudrait être un peu touché à la tête pour ne pas reconnaître les campagnes précédentes d’assimilation et de stérilisations forcées de la part des anglos; il faut juste tenir compte que le livre avait sa place lors de son écrit, mais aujourd’hui le contexte ne s’applique pas du tout avec la même mesure.

il y a des arguments bien plus modernes pour continuer le combat d’égalité entre les anglais et les français du Canada.