Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So guys when is this thread supposed to turn into a shitfestival of completely unconscious liberal partisan posting and regional piss fights

I might stick around until them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Like seriously, sometimes I think partisanship is no poo poo worse in Canada than it is in the US, or maybe in the US they are at least more conscious of it, or something

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

klockwerk posted:

Brad Wall!

And the wheat baboons will pay for it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Thread if I could I'd embed a loop of Bruce Cockburn insturmentals up in this hizzouse so we can just chill and make Canada pol jokes

Can post about Canadian Military procurement on request

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Reality Loser posted:

things happening right now:

weed legalization this summer
NAFTA
housing bubble, particularly in vancouver and toronto
the keg being bought

On these:

Weed legalization good but I suspect the gubbermint should have looked closer at the end of prohibition and how to use the market to weed (PUN BECAUSE WE LIKE THOSE IN CANADA) out criminal enterprises. I suspect black market weed is still economically viable with the taxes everybody wants to charge on the ganja. Also how loving sad is it that it took 15 years for this to happen after the National Post and the police unions were agitating for it

NAFTA - I suspect Trump will only be happy with a punitive deal or a pullout. This is actually a big deal as Canada's economic strategy has been since NAFTA was signed to be cheap labor for American industry. (I mean, **OBVIOUSLY** no other nation will be able to out-cheap us.) If NAFTA fails, then this strategy will be offically poo poo-canned as opposed to just "only working for richers". I can picture some upsides here as something like 85% of all NAFTA economic growth was captured by (surprise, surprise) very large businesses with revenues in excess of $500 million annually. Considering these people don't pay taxes anymore it's really difficult to care. Unfortunately, Ontario now makes more cars than Detroit, and there's a ton of richer interests locked up in NAFTA on the American side, and they should be able to bribe/flatter Trump somehow into relenting.

Housing Bubble - Because we're still locked into cheap money, the bubble continues, but fortunately the poors have been locked out of speculation via regulation. Both Trudeau and the Cons previously have been racking their brains on how to deflate the thing (and here's the important bit) without taking the blame for it. While restricting poors from buying mansions is good, it's clear the Richers still have free reign. I suspect that lots of Russian and Chinese dark money is ultimately being invested in Toronto and Vancouver, and that would be very politically easy to restrict or remove. (I mean, think about it: both of those nations are kleptocracies where corruption is used to get the acquiescence of the upper class, but it's still money that shouldn't be there - how hard would it be to say to both nations "we'd like to restrict the dark money in our county's real estate.) It hasn't happened because suprise! The money coming out of it still finds its way into the pockets of pols, so LET IT RIDE!!!! About the only really useful thing I can tell you is that crisis of this sort take longer than you'd like in coming, but once there work quicker than you would believe. I suspect a macroecon event (like leaving NAFTA, lol) will crank interest rates, leaving people overexposed, and then the carnival does a few more revolutions and then craters both cities, having driven out all their economically useful industry with real estate speculation. Of course richers play by different rules than the rest of us, so maybe the bubble continues serenely in those two places even as everywhere else collapses

I don't know what the Keg is

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

murked by dragon posted:

best cities in canada, ranked Accurately:

1. guelph, ON
2. mississauga, ON
3. peterborough, ON

Mississauga has the highest auto insurance rates in Canada, denied

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

government revenues:
income tax $150 billion
corporate tax $41 billion
gst 33 billion
excise and duty 66 billion
crown corps 60 billion
offshore tax losses and evasion MINUS FIFTY BILLION DOLLARS

help i can't find the money to stop running 30 billion dollar deficits and fund mental health

Do you have a source for this

Because I believe it and it is interesting

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

does anyone actually know if the maritimes exist, like have anyone every actually been there?

Somebody's not in their '50s (rolls eyes)

Dreylad posted:

the maritimes are actually petty fedual kingdoms run by boring WASP axe murderers

Truth

Feudal isn't a bad way to describe them - good 'ol boys dominate the business and politics there, and use their power so squash anybody who 1) wants change or 2) could build a business to challenge them economically. There is a reason why Canadian tycoons like the Irvings, the Sobeys, the McCains etc all grew out of the Maritimes - because the pols were small enough that they were easy to make minions of. A second aspect (and I suspect this is a Canada thing, not just a Maritime thing) whatever unions that could remain functional, such as public service unions, could defend their members jobs, which surprise surprise mostly involved making time you've been there holy. In addition to this, pols could squeeze public sector jobs (which have good pay and benefits) for patronage, which gave the the pols an interest in the walling off of good jobs to politically connected insiders, too. This walling off was a giant "gently caress you, got mine" to anybody born after 1980

So guess what

All the young people who could, left. Also smart people who didn't feel like having the rug pulled out from under them once some richer thought them slightly annoying also left. So all the people who 1) could have reformed the system to make it better, or 2) was not happy becoming dirt poor or a minion of the wallers also left.

So now

there are no young people to form a tax base for all the olds that remain there. New Brunswick and Newfoundland will probably declare bankruptcy in the next decade: NB has had this coming for a long time, they've been trying to cut their way to prosperity for like 30 years now and the inbred aristocrats running the place just don't get that doesn't fuckin' work. NL has hosed itself over quite theatrically by in a moment of prosperity deciding to bet the farm on a new hydro development that is slowly causing its bankruptcy ever since as it turns out oil isn't going to have permanently high prices forever. If memory serves, Alberta has 10% of its GDP linked directly to oil production, while NL has 39%.

While pigfucking incompetence plays a part, there's also that 1) these are comparatively small provinces, and shittily diversified. So it'd make sense that the economic winds sometimes favor them, and sometimes do not. Paul Krugman talked about the "gambler's ruin" of small cities in America, and I think the Atlantic provinces are similar. NL being the headliner here makes sense, as formerly their economy was based on fishing, which has all the disadvantages of agriculture combined with the disadvantages of relying on poorly understood natural processes to replenish that resource, only having to move onto oil. Oil which is good quality but needs enormous investment from oil companies to extract it, which means you *really* want to be sure the billion or so you spend on that offshore oil platform is going to be worth it

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I have to do the Canadian thing and complain about our thread title

*Boring?* The reason America isn't boring is because its a neo-darwinian hellscape ruled over by a stumbling, demented, child king. If that's what 'boring' is I'll take it

So: single posters ITT

Have you thought of marrying an American refugee? I mean granted having to marry someone to escape your nation's squalidly dysfunctional political oppression is unfair and hosed up, making them live in a place where the fog gets so thick it can support the weight of small fish that swim in it more unfair still

But I bet there are some cute ones out there in need of marrying

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Risky Bisquick posted:

You can save small town cute girls and use the underground railroad to reach Canada like old times

Yes, exactly

Can we phrase it in a way that makes me less of an lecherous, opportunistic rear end in a top hat, though, I'm concerned about optics

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

My Marketing Guy posted:

OK, what do you think of this:

Are you politically oppressed AND look like this

YOU MAY HAVE A WAY OUT VIA MARRIAGE TO A FREAKY NERD IN CANADA

I don't really like it TBH. I mean good image, on point with the message, but it kinda sounds like if you want to abandon all hope we want to speak to you, except instead of a bullet it's my dick at the end of things

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Risky Bisquick posted:

Sure, Save a dreamer before trump deports them all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-PaDqSTJ5U

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Ill Peripheral posted:

Maybe if we didn't build all these fuckin windmills though!!

Is this a thing in ontario

Because it seems there's this weird bunch of reactionaries with a hate on for windmills

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Misogynice Job! posted:

Hey I live in massachusetts and i'm dating someone who lives in new brunswick, am i loving stupid?

No, it's not their fault they live in the Missouri of Canada, hate the government, not the people

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Reince Penis posted:

To be fair you\re describing everywhere that isn't Toronto

lol

As someone who's lived in the GTA I have heard people talk in fear of going to Sudbury

I want all GTA based posters to ID themselves

In addition to regional dickslapping contests and mindless partisanship, another failing of Canada threads is too many Torontonians, which leads to sentiments like "lol who needs a military, we could spend that money on high speed trains to Montreal instead" tend to ruin these threads

Not to say Torontonians are narcissistic and myopic, it's just that the center of gravity tends to move south of Steels ave and stay there, below the belt, as it were

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Are you just trying to get me sued?

Can I file an objection about associating Nietzsche with this scrofulous motherfucker

Also "the wages of sin is death" being actually Darwinian selection at work and that's what sin means is so hilariously wrong I don't know where to start

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-roberts-buying-old-f-18-jets-is-a-bad-idea-it-just-makes-our-existing-problem-worse

The NP is usually trash but this is good (non-Canadians: our two main newspapers are P and NP)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

infernal machines posted:

Wait, who is "P"? Doesn't P==NP?

We've got NP, GM, and TS

A bad computer joke

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

vyelkin posted:

Enormous [citation needed] growing bigger and bigger until it swallows the article

It is true the state of the art has moved on - a lot - since the 1980s in sensors and p much everything else. The last actual air combat the CF-18s saw was 1991 AFIK against a somewhat-well-equipped adversary who wasn't well trained but you can't really write off NATO etc facing a peer opponent - or (much more likely) one equipped with excellent Russian SAMs in the future

vyelkin posted:

If Russian bombers are launching advanced long-range cruise missiles against NORAD Canada will have zero influence on either side no matter what airplanes we have, because we are not a nuclear-armed state

Fair point, in a nuclear war we pretty much die in a fire and hopefully so does the other guy.

vyelkin posted:

This is exactly the point of buying the old planes (well except the giant gently caress you to Boeing for going after Bombardier), so that we can cannibalize them for parts

This is also a fair point though it ignores the point the dude is trying to make: we need new fighters

Yinlock posted:

obey the rich at all times, someday you too may be rich - Nietzsche

:argh:

Don't make me get my books

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

Electronic voting is a bad idea right? Like I feel like everyone around me thinks it's the greatest poo poo ever, but any situation I can dream up doesn't allow for someone to vote in secret without some ridiculous skype session with a volunteer or some other stupid poo poo.

Given how hosed the Phoenix pay system is, gonna say yes

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Bilirubin posted:

Too soon to say "Sea King" because lol this poo poo's been broken for a decade at least right?

2018 is the year we finally retire the bastards

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't have any sympathy

BC grandstands against pipelines when it is a federal matter, not a provincial one, for easy environmental points, knowing full well they are gonna get slapped down and when that happens they are just gonna go "ah bloo hoo hoo, the FED"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

Davie Shipyard gets contract for three commercial icebreakers for Canadian Coast Guard. Considering how far behind everything is, this is good, though I suspect at least a big a consideration was cushioning economic damage to certain ridings from Trump's Tarriffs. As long as these are ordered off the shelf, they should be fine;

Irving shipyard workers ratify new contract, avoiding work stoppage. The pay increases sound consummate with inflation;

Vice Admiral Norman has been officially removed from his position. Norman was trying to access a federal civil service lawsuit fund to, er, fund his lawsuit against the federal government, which was likely the reason.

The Canadian Army has a C6 shortage. Known in America as the M240, known in Belgium as FN...something, the C6 shortage was caused by Canada donating the machine guns to the Ukraine. Canada had already planned to replace its C6s with a modern update from FN they were calling the C6 FLEX, but they are due to arrive in 2019.

This is not the first time a shortage has cropped up, with the CF issuing an appeal in the Ottawa area for spare rucksacks and sleeping bags. This was because Canada has donated quite a bit of equipment to the Ukraine (good!) and - guess what guys - is being really slow at replacing it. (not good!)

quote:

In 2014 the Conservative government removed 735 sleeping bags from the Canadian Forces stock and donated them to Ukraine’s military.

Actually, a lot of Canadian military equipment can be found in Ukraine. In August 2014, Canada supplied 30,000 pairs of ballistic eyewear, 2,300 bullet-proof vests, 350 first aid kits, 7,000 helmets, 735 sleeping bags and 100 tents.

In November 2014 Canada announced another shipment from Canadian Forces stocks, including 30,000 coats, 30,000 pairs of pants, 70,000 pairs of boots and 4,500 pairs of gloves

The Canadian government spent $1.6 million to ship $5 million worth of equipment, according to figures obtained by the Ottawa Citizen.

Canada's peacekeeper force at all time low. This is somewhat conspicuous, as lots of our Allies, rightly or wrongly, want Canada in on the Saharan mission.

This one is messy: NEB is sadly not a program for the construction of Canadian Airships, but the National Energy Board. NEB regulates inter-provincial and international energy production (so pipelines, electrical transmission lines etc.) It was supposed to be independent from politics, with a mandate to develop energy production to the "benefit of all Canadians" but since the Harper admin has fallen into disrepute. [footnotes: a shitload of messy politics where nobody looks good.] Anyway, the Canadian Army General who once had David Pugliese, Ottawa Citizen reporter on the defense beat investigated by the secret squirrel squad of the RCMP for a month over the disclosure of "secret documents" (that Pugliese googled and got off a government website, and Pugliese told the RCMP that) has...done it again. This General, now VP in charge of NEB's “transparency and strategic engagement” (because if you are a Fed who lashes out at reporters when they discover embarrassing poo poo OF COURSE you would give them that job) has had to resign. He's once again had a reporter "investigated for state secrets nonsense", this time reporter Dan De Souza:

quote:

De Souza had revealed that NEB management hired private investigators – on your tax dollar – to find out who leaked to him information that one of the top NEB officials joked about giving NEB staff Tasers so they could deal with oil pipeline protesters.

Shortly after that, De Souza did an article about how the NEB violated his privacy and provided his private banking information to a third party.

quote:

That prompted the NEB to spend $24,150 of your tax dollars to hire Presidia, an Ottawa security firm, to try to hunt down De Souza’s sources. (Presidia, which has a number of former military police officer on staff, ultimately failed to find the journalist’s source).

The security firm was hired by Sylvain Bedard, who had worked closely with Touchette at DND and was a key player in the Canadian Forces Public Affairs leadership as he was Director General Public Affairs.

Last year Touchette defended the $24,150-contract to Presidia, telling the National Observer it was a good idea to hire a private security firm to investigate her own staff.

The civil servants behind this clown show were of course rewarded:

quote:

Later, Bedard took an extended leave of absence but the NEB would not provide an explanation for that. NEB spokeswoman Kiley declined to say whether taxpayers were paying Bedard’s salary (estimated to be around $150,000 annually) during that leave period. She told Defence Watch that is considered personal information under the Privacy Act.

[...]

Touchette left for a new executive job in Paris with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, De Souza has reported.

Clearly if you are willing to do any dirty deed for your political masters regardless of how ill-advised or dumb, you are the best kind of person by the lights of the Federal civil service.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Story: Canadian Pols let $60 billion in tax revenue go annually, but it's okay because look at how virtuous they are, obsessing over the 0.063% of that first number it'd cost to renovate the PM's residence [NYT link, clicking is a moral dilemma]

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Here's a question: is black Friday serious business where you are?

Here it feels something that only the big stores are pushing. Sure, people shop, but it doesn't seem like the consumer psychotic break from reality it is in the US.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Powershift posted:

Boxing day on dec 26th used to be the big day everybody lined up for, but for the last 10 years it seems stores just bring in extra chinzy poo poo to sell for slightly less. Then they went to "boxing week" and the big stores are now trying to turn black friday into a whole week and i think most people are just tired of all the bullshit.

I think this has been the general trajectory in the states. What was once a crazy good sale day gradually had the deals (IE the whole point for its existence) profit maximized out

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

:canada: NSS weekend circular :canada:

So, Quebec is making political noise about wanting to build another supply ship for the RCN, which previously had two. As the Asterix, ordered as a stopgap by the conservatives, is a real outlier in Canada's Naval Shipbuilding adventures (being on time and on budget) the fed really really does not want to do this

Today in Parliament, the conservative leader Reinhard Scheer accused the liberals of playing politics :nallears: to which the liberals responded "no, you"

Of course, the Asterix is leased, the Harper government saw them as a stopgap till the NSS could churn out real replacements. So doing the same deal with Davie again is no problem. The issue here (and why the Liberals are acting like suggestions another be made are an angry swarm of bees attacking their head) is Irving and Seaspan don't want it. Of course, bear in mind the leasing thing - while Canada **could** say "huh I guess off the shelf really is good enough for supply ships" the government is really unlikely to do so, since that would cast doubt on if the NSS was best value etc. The fear here is that Davie could wedge its foot in the NSS door, and maybe, I dunno, compete with the other two shipyards for contracts if there were "areas" where work had to be faster or programs had fallen too far behind

The awful specter of "competition" and "other ways to do things aside from the NSS" is a fear the shipyards and the government share

Oh and the Vice Admiral Norman trial, the prosecution realized its case of "doing the bad thing" was too weak, so they've shifted to saying "Norman did inaprop things" citing a case of an officer in JTF2 (Canada's anti-terror fast reaction force) who used government trucks on his farm and got JTF personnel to work on his farm

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Stink Billyums posted:

they're to keep the foreign fishermen away

Also international treaties we're part of (mainly NATO and NORAD) not to mention basic bitch sovereignty means we need certain military capacities. These include being able to control ocean approaches and defending our own airspace. Since WW2 Canada has traditionally favored the navy over the army and the air force in spending, since we have a gigantic amount of coastline. This is also why the NSS has rolled forward despite its issues; if you're gonna have a navy, having the industrial capital and know-how to make and repair modern navy ships makes sense, as navies are a really long term thing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Can I get a brief rundown about what a Qanuck would believe in?

I'm picturing CBC online commenters who believes the national media is in a conspiracy to make TUMP look bad

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Dec 20, 2018

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

DariusLikewise posted:

:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:!!!MEAT TAX!!!:supaburn::supaburn::supaburn:

I know this is just dumb hysteria, but ---

If say Ontario made it a law that methane produced by animals indoors should be burned to heat the barns, and then provided funds to do it, it would be a big step in reducing GHGs. I've a brother in law who's a farmer, and he tells me Ontario used to subsidize this, but they stopped doing it, and it apparently doesn't make financial sense without the subsidy.

If the government just made it a rule and made the farmers themselves pay for upgrades, I guess they would have to pass the cost along via higher prices, and that would be a meat tax?

(I'm overthinking this, aren't I)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Also can we refer to Andrew Scheer as Admiral Scheer, it amuses me

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch

Tens of millions paid out due to bungled Canadian Forces procurement, but government says details are secret

So-

Canada needs to buy military trucks and so we put out a tender and had to pick between oshkosh and mack. When we did this procurement we of course had to specify what our selection criteria were. Oshkosh met that criteria the best but we of course went with mack, and Oshkosh was like "um WTF, our trucks met your criteria better, don't make us take you out to the woodshed again* but of course the DND was all "nuh-uh!" And Oshkosh - used international trade laws to get the decision revered. Of course just because you lost in court doesn't mean you have to listen** and the DND went on buying trucks from Mack and appealed the decision. The appeal was given up as dumb and hopeless so Canada hosed up buying military trucks **again** and has to pay extra money to Oshkosh **again** but the details of Canada and its three government departments involved in procurement being pig-fuckingly dumb and petty are of course, SECRET

David Pugliese with the strong headline: Payout cost for bungled gov’t truck contact is secret…the reason for that is also secret

National Defense HQ has been caught hiding evidence in the Mark Norman case, making sure his name is never mentioned in DND documents so that any FOIA docs Norman's defense attornys file find "nothing." Oh, and this, let me just copy/paste it:

quote:

Just as disturbing is that fact the judge believed there was a need to protect the witness from reprisals from federal officials and those at National Defence headquarters. To do that, the judge ordered a publication ban so the name of the military witness – for now anyways – would not be revealed publicly.

Think about this for a minute.T his isn’t some Mafia or narcos trial. This isn’t some snitch who needs to be protected from his fellow gangsters.

This is a military member who knew what the right thing to do was and came forward on his own. He didn’t trust the Canadian Forces system to protect him. He didn’t trust the senior military and defense leadership, which had already determined that Norman was guilty of wrongdoing, even though no internal investigation into the vice admiral’s actions were conducted.

The witness didn’t go to the National Investigation Service, the internal DND police force that often finds it challenging to gather evidence that might implicate senior leaders. He didn’t go to the Public Sector Integrity Commissioner, a troubled organization which is considered a joke among whistleblowers. And he didn’t go to the Information Commissioner of Canada, the organization that oversees the Access to Information law but on that is gaining an increasing reputation among those who use the process as being too cozy with the senior bureaucracy.

This is a situation where it seems the courts don’t believe Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan, Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Jon Vance, and Deputy Minister Jody Thomas can even guarantee basic workplace protection to those individuals who want to follow an ethical and legal path.

**It of course means exactly that unless you are a smoothbrained senior civil servant

*possibly because the DND was butthurt that the last time they tried to buy trucks, they put out a tender and after Oshkosh had met it they got a crayon bid on notepaper that was promising to build the trucks in canada and so we pretended they were the winner without checking if the crayon submission company could actually deliver, and then Oshkosh took the DND out to the woodshed of international trade laws and got the decision reversed, and so we bought Oshkosh trucks and the bureaucrats who were in charge of this were forcibly reminded that these fees were directly a result of their own incompetence and so the "mandarins" (as they still style themselves with literally zero irony) did the only thing they can do aside gently caress up simple pronouncements and be dumb, they held a grudge, and said OSHKOSH WILL PAY, even though it is in fact Canada who payed

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The Blog Best Fighter for Canada (admittedly niche but does a really good job covering the topic) releases its estimate for 2019 as to how the contenders are doing. The F-35 is increasingly viable as purchase cost and operational costs continue to decline, [and LockMart has connections thanks to combat ship decision from a few months ago] Eurofighter Typhoon has even stronger pol connections as Airbus now sells Bombarider C300 as the A220, which means lots more will be sold. Saab Gripen remains a viable dark horse.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Baloogan posted:

A former party leader's mom froze to death recently.

I saw that, it's confusing

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

infernal machines posted:

Does this count as yellow peril?

Huawei being a villainous corporation in a Deus Ex game? No

What the Canadian media does with that-

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

can we impeach trudeau for the snc lavalin collusion

Pretty sure we don't have impeachment

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

zapplez posted:

You are putting a lot of faith in the NDP having a strong showing and being able to convert like 10 ridings they haven't won in Ontario in 25+ years. With as much hatred as the province has for the libs right now, the NDP didn't make enough headway with regular folk, hence the lovely CPC election result.

low voter turnout didn't help

(or Canada's hosed up democratic system)

I was honestly surprised, because I figured with TUMP actively loving with Ontario's economy it'd tank the chances of Ford because he's really too trumpy-dumpty

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Defense Watch Watch: Good news?!?

Vice-Admiral Mark Norman has been somewhat vindicated, the fed dropped the lawsuit against him, with the prosecuting attorney saying publicly "we've got nothing". It could be that the Fed thought it'd just be a drag next election, but it's satisfying to see their horseshit fail so abjectly

Defense Watch has a good summary

Norman of course is now demanding his old job bad just to twist the knife in his former comrades in arms at the DND

Also, Canada and the F-35 have taken a new turn. OK, so remember when the fed took de-facto policy and made it official, that any fighter design had to officially promise that industrial baksheeh? Well it turns out that's not allowed in the framework in which the F-35 was developed, which actually wants F-35 sub-components to be sourced competitively, and explicitly forbids nations from trying to get more baksheeh done in their own nation. While Canada now is BFFs with LockMart, this doesn't seem like a big problem, but Trump of course took this and turned it into an ultimatum, which gives Trudeau a valid pretext for excluding the F-35 as he'll be able to say it was the Americans who took it off the table, not him

Also this seems defense related:

Money Laundering a Canadian, not a BC problem

quote:

It estimated that last year, roughly $46.7 billion was laundered via the Canadian economy, with B.C. responsible for roughly $7.4 billion of that total.

Here's the spit take:

quote:

The report ranks several regions based on their flow of illegal money, placing B.C., in fifth place behind Alberta, Ontario, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

e: laffo, so if you wanted a very Canadian headline into fighting money laundering, what would you pick?

"Done with asking nicely" BC opens public inquiry into money laundering

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'd try to summarize this but know that the headline is Last week the Globe and Mail revealed the Liberal government had allowed Irving Shipbuilding to claim a $40-million industrial benefit credit for an Alberta french fry factory as part of a contract to provide the Royal Canadian Navy with new Arctic and Offshore Patrol Ships.

Oh, and not for the first time questions from the media to the Fed are suddenly answered with threats of (absolutely baseless) lawsuits by Irving

And it's unclear how much information both those groups are collecting on critical journalists

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So it's a buyer's market for new fighter jets

so Canada is on the verge of wrecking their own selection process because they literally don't know how to do it

Lockheed previously complained that Canada's competition was asking poo poo that it couldn't provide as it was against the legal framework of the JSF (IE Industrial baksheeh

so Canada does the natural thing, and adds some criteria to the competition to favor the F-35

And so all the other manufacturers have sent letter to the Fed saying in effect "why the gently caress should we continue with this farce when you're just gonna treat this exactly like the new surface combatant and just rewrite the rules to favor whoever"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I'm sure they'd find a way. Disband the CF and replace it with a defense force.

lol yes, the problem here is branding

Army? Navy? Just call it a force

Actually just hand-waving a bunch of vague ideas then just asserting "it'd cost less" makes me think there's a job for you at the DND