Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Fifth Holy Grail War has been announced, just ten short years after the Fourth. Fuyuuki city still reels from the events of the Fourth War, with entire families having been torn apart and the streets rent with blood.

It is said that the Holy Grail can grant a wish to whosoever obtains it but with such power who can be trusted? Even the purest heart can be corrupted by greed. Even the purest desire can be changed beyond recognition. And who can say what horror will be unleashed by those whose souls have been tainted by greed, anger or sadness.

To gain the Grail one must conquer oneself. One must understand oneself as an ideal, struggle with that ideal and finally contest that ideal with the harsh face of reality. Only those with true inner strength can claim the Grail, yet is the Grail a reward one with such ideals would desire?

Will your hopes be crushed by reality? Will your dreams be corrupted by the Grail?

Or will you work together, forge your own path and be free from this terrible cycle?

Hello everyone and welcome to Fate/stay Night Mafia.

This is a role madness game of Mafia for 14 people. Forewarning now, the setup isn’t going to be completely non-standard, but it will be different to what you’d normally expect, so don’t take weird roles as sign of anything other than my slightly damaged mind.

Days will be 48-72 hours in length. Nights will be 24 hours. These are flexible based on when I want to be up and doing things. I’ll aim for midnight EST deadlines.
We’ll be using a combination of googledocs and Discord to manage everything, so please make sure you have access to those for the game.

Other general mafia rules (that have broadly been stolen from Somberero):

1. Don't be poo poo to each other. This is a game, part of the game is having people react, but if you think you’re reacting badly, walk away, calm down, come back later.
2. If you post fewer than ten times across a day that comes within 12 hours of finishing, I will grant a free vig to be used by the player that posts the most targetted at you.
3. Don't edit your posts.
4. Don't talk after you're dead. I'll send you a PM to an Obs doc if you want to chat poo poo.
5. Feel free to post after the hammer as nothing will resolve until I wake up. Nights aren't open though.
6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want, however, I intentionally have not made clear, when exactly in Fate Stay Night this takes place or what of the three main routes it takes place under, so it’s not a silver bullet.
7. No replacements after D2.
8. Don't directly quote any communication from me, including your role pm. If you have OOT communication with another player, the rule still applies.
9. Don't fake day actions.

Players
  1. 50 pounds of bread
  2. Anomalous Amalgam
  3. b-minus1
  4. Bifauxnen
  5. GulagDolls
  6. Juchero
  7. KhediveRex
  8. Monathin
  9. Murmur Twin
  10. Prince of Space
  11. Quidthulhu
  12. SalTheBard
  13. Tired Moritz
  14. Tobbs Gnawed

Subbed Players

1. Chic Trombone

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Monathin posted:

Where's DBZ Mafia 2 :argh:

(in)

I'm running that after FF Mafia!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
4 more!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unfortunately I can't. I also can't really reveal why.

Cutoff is with Chic Trombone, that sets AA, Prince of Space, GeneX and Hal as replacements.

I'll complete setup/role PMs when I'm home this evening.

:siren: Rule alterations :siren: As the flip is set for around 5am my time and I'm modding this game on my own, I'll allow posting after the hammer. Because I'm lazy this posting will contribute to lurker rules.

Finally, straw poll, do people prefer discord or googledocs for communication?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Another note, I can modify my googledoc templates to be more mobile friendly, but it makes setup time more difficult for me.

Do people really want mobile friendly googledoc submissions, or is that something I can eschew in favour of more convenience for myself?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Retro Futurist posted:

Give my spot to Prince of Space we need good new blood

Understood, PoS is in.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
https://discord.gg/ffcuZ

Hello everyone.

I'm still getting set up, but everyone get in this discord. It should be completely blank and will become relevant when I dole out role PMs.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Murmur Twin posted:

I got “the discord link is expired” when I clicked :eng99:

https://discord.gg/NcyHBz2

Try this one, "Discord links expire after one day" my arse.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh if your discord name isn't your name here, would you mind giving me what I should look for?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Role PMs will be going out momentarily. I will assign discord permissions when they are done and as soon as I post votefinder feel free to go wild.

You will probably see a set of numbers on your googledoc input sheets, this is just me testing that they're functioning. Pay them no mind.

If you wish to contact me via googledoc use the input for Action Night 10 and I'll reply using the field for result Night 10.

If there is anything wrong with the googledoc PM me or contact me as above.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
The game begins! All role PMs have been sent out and I've finished messing with the Discord side.

The first deadline will be Sunday at 11:59 EST. I understand that's a long first day, but avoiding a Saturday Night deadline is too important.

Postcount at the start of day 1 is this:

Please, please do your best to meet the 10 post minimum. It shouldn't be that hard over a 3 day D1.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Going to sleep now guys, play nice and if you have any burning questions please get them to me in the next 15 minutes or so. Otherwise hold on to them until I wake up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quidthulhu posted:

code:
* Based on the second route of the Fate/Stay Night erotic visual novel by Type-Moon.
:catstare:

Just watch the 2014 anime okay?

I would say, trying to her the image I grabbed off the internet because it made a good title to determine flavour is probably a bad idea.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hi guys

Quick ruling that was brought up to me.

Do not copy paste from private chat.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
MOD EDIT: THIS POST WAS LIES.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 28, 2018

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Chic Trombone posted:

actually i think i know what's up with those post listings now, Nat20 did you just look at the numbers and assume people would be in the same position re: names that they were at the beginning of the game?

Good chance something messed up with my lookup, I'll do a quick doublecheck now.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

An accurate list.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hello everyone.

A word before the flip. Mafia is about baselessly accusing people of poo poo because you have a gut feeling. That's the game, that's what it always will be.

I understand that feelings can get hurt because of that and so we should be careful during the game to avoid that.

But from my perspective nobody actually said or did anything I wouldn't expect from a normal mafia game. So just try to keep cool and play on.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyway:

Tired Moritz, Town aligned Saber (Strongman vig/all cops will fail) was brutally lynched.

It is now Night 1 please submit all night actions by 11:59 pm EST.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Quidthulhu, Town Aligned Illyasviel von Einzbern (Cop) was found dead

It is now Day 2 which will end on Wednesday the 31st of January at 11:59 p.m. EST

The quest for the grail continues, an maiden with a heart pure as snow and a child are its first victims.

Is it truly worth the cost?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
As an aside, thanks everyone for getting actions in so quickly. If that happens I can usually process inside a day, as soon as I get home from work.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Juchero, Town aligned Lancer (Reverse Causality) was killed

It is now Night 2, please have your actions in before 11:59 PM EST.

If you can get them in by 7PM EST I'll be able to reopen the thread today.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Anomalous Amalgam replaces Chic Trombone

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen, ??? aligned Archer (Watch) was murdered.

It is now Day 3, Day 3 will close 11:59 PM EST on Sunday the 4th of February.

The grail flows with the blood of heroes. Of two men who fate and justice forsook.

Surely this is enough to sate its terrible bloodlust?

Surely it is enough to sate the bloodlust of those who seek it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

b-minus1, scum aligned, Kirei Kotomine (Role/Flavourcop/Godfather) was executed!

It is now Night 3, Night 3 will close 11:59 PM EST on Sunday the 4th of February.

I can process the night and open the thread earlier if actions are in before 7PM EST.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tobbs Gnawed, town aligned, Assassin (Duelist) was murdered!

It is now Day 4, Day 4 will close on Monday the 5th of February at 11:59pm EST.

Two more fall. A remorseless killer and a servant with one solitary role.

The grail whittles away those it finds weak leaving only the strongest alive.

But what is strength without a righteous hand? What is the point of war, if all it serves is greed?

You may press on, but the answers you seek, might not be the ones you desire.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
#EA has been declared and will resolve at the end of the day.

Continue playing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Prince of Space, Town aligned, Rin Tohsaka (Roleblocker) was annihilated.

50 pounds of bread, Town aligned, Berserker, (Bulletproof, super bulletproof 1) was killed!

It is now night 4, please submit actions by 11:59pm EST, if actions are submitted earlier than 7pm I can open the thread early.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Anomalous Amalgam, Town Aligned, Shirou Emiya (Trace), was murdered!

It is now Day 5, Day 5 will end on Thursday the 8th of February at 11:59pm EST.

Two more masters feed the Grail, barely children. The last survivors of their families, ended in an instant.

A great hero, who carried the burdens and hatred of the Gods on his shoulders has been erased.

Five remain, some righteous, some evil.

But is anyone righteous any more? What do words like good and evil even mean?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gulagdolls, Town Aligned, Souichirou Kuzuki (Masonry Bodyguard) was killed!

The Grail has claimed another victim.

This time, a killer, a man without remorse, without morals. And yet, also a man who found love.

Without her love, what is her purpose? What is the point in a Grail when her most earnest wish, to be loved was already granted?

Monathin, Town Aligned, Caster (Rulebreaker) was endgamed

Its cup filled with the souls of the brave, the cowardly and all those in between. The Grail appears in this world.

And yet, the Grail overflows not with divinity, but with sin and corruption. Out of it spew the lies and hatred of all of humanity. Who could have believed a device so corrupt could grant any wish? Who could stand in its way?

The final servant, a woman of innocence, of loyalty attempts to stop the madness, out of duty even now to the people who shunned her long ago.

She hears one final whisper in her ear, from a voice that's become a warm embrace to her. "You've been betrayed so many times, what's once more?"

Salthebard, Town Aligned, Rider (Track) was endgamed

Who knew what the Grail would be? But one person, who shall now rule over a humanity purged of their laziness, purged of the mongrels who have no use in society.

KhediveRex, Scum Aligned, Gilgamesh (Strongman/Ninja NK / EA) is victorious!

Alongside his anchor to this world, a coward yes, a traitor yes, but one who has a true purpose, to allow the King of Heroes to fulfill his true vision.

MurmurTwin, Scum Aligned, Shinji Matou (Redirect/Hide) is victorious

A new world begins today.

Do you deserve to be in it?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
That was Fate Stay Night Mafia!

Thanks very much for playing everyone! Congratulations to the scum team for the victory, commiserations to Town and Bif for the loss.

This was genuinely one of the most amazing games of mafia to watch from the sidelines and I hope you guys had as much fun playing as I did watching along! Discord permissions are being (have been) changed so that you can all view all the chats in the game. I'll lock all the masonries apart from spectator chat and I'll also lock that away and delete the server in time.

This is the full moddoc, which will be a little more detailed than the spec doc some people have seen:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Sy6PbGqT52DaIia20EXpPGKkHQmPA_gBjmeDwdT0vvk/edit?usp=sharing

A few notes on the game:

Perhaps unsurprisingly I came up with the concept of this game when Bif suggested I run it during Soldiers. I decided that making an entire game based around scum having to Jafar their own partners made for a good fit for Fate Stay Night and its master/servant system. One thing I do want to make clear, lying to your partner through the game is something that scum were expected to do. Please do not hold what they said against them, but against me for putting them in that situation in a game.

A few weirder interactions never came up in game but things I did include:

Custom flavour and rulings for every single ability reflect.

Powerset expansion for Shirou if he ever got into a fight with EMIYA.

EMIYA and Shirou with UBW acting as a hard counter to Gilgamesh's super nightkill.

When you've had a chat about what you thought about overall balance I'll get in on the specifics of each role and how I viewed/balanced them. But it's 1:45am and I have work, so that's it for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So this game.

In terms of balance I'm happy. I always try to make roles that align with flavour and are interesting within the game and I think town and scum stacked up well against each other here. A wrinkle I think some people probably might have missed is that most scum abilities had a one day cooldown time which meant I could up their power accordingly. Part of scum's skilled play this game was electing to use their night actions sparingly and holding things back for an opportune moment. If it felt like scum rolled you as town, they were on the razor's edge for all of it to fall apart at any moment.

A big shoutout to Rex who imo played an absolutely phenomenal scum game, especially considering this was his first game of mafia. EA was intended as effectively a suicide vig since it would obviously out Gilgamesh and I genuinely thought the moment he used it he'd be dead to rights, but the narrative that he crafted around his 3P role was really compelling. Well done on that.

I'm most pleased that the game was robust against unexpected situations like Saber dying very early.

In terms of feelings.

I'm not going to lie, a little part of me was chuckling away when I made the game knowing that people would have to go through what I did in Shine.

But crucially I made this game before the tail end of Shine where I felt awful and posted and approved it in the postgame where Bif took everything incredibly well and we remained friends.

I regret my decision on how I set up the game in that regard now. I feel like the setup is fine when people expect to be betrayed and are generally suspicious, but I don't think it works as pleasantly for newer players. As a rule, more than anything else, I want my mafia games to be ones where people can laugh at all the silly stuff that's happening, do stuff like RP as their characters and feel like they can contribute even if they're new or not feeling confident. I don't think this game achieved that for a lot of us.

Additionally I think the presence of multiple masonries makes the endgame a lot worse because the persuasive aspect of the endgame in the thread itself is so strongly mitigated by masonry chats. It means everyone later on feels like they're screaming into a void of nobody listening to them and they're right, because people are chatting away in their masonries.

In all, I don't think the game was a mistake, the setup was interesting and I'd like to explore something similar again. The game itself was balanced so there wasn't a design flaw as such. But I think I've learned an important lesson about trying to ensure that people feel they have agency in mafia games, even as the setup itself breaks down.

I maintain though, holy poo poo was it great to watch.

• Locked thread