Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Where's DBZ Mafia 2 :argh:

(in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I generally prefer discord but would not be opposed to gdocs.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Retro Futurist posted:

Give my spot to Prince of Space we need good new blood

I'm offended :v:

Natural 20 posted:

Another note, I can modify my googledoc templates to be more mobile friendly, but it makes setup time more difficult for me.

Do people really want mobile friendly googledoc submissions, or is that something I can eschew in favour of more convenience for myself?

I have no strong opinions one way or the other wrt gdoc templates being mobile-friendly or not. I probably won't make as much use of it as others, but if other people want it I'm fine with it.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

valuecifer on Discord.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

I have no loving idea what's going on

Honestly big same, but that's half the fun.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Chic Trombone posted:

hello my friends it is so nice to be here today

same, looking forward to a truly batshit game

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

No you cant kill me im best girl

This is a very loaded statement, Tired

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Careful about moving votes too quick, friends. 14 people doesn't let too much margin for error.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

Coming from two 25 player game threads, however, it might be a reasonable thing to say, especially since there's enough Shine V crossover that we have already said we should cut that poo poo out in terms of making in jokes?

I'm also in TWEWY Mafia, which of course is another 25-player game. I didn't really take math into account, I just want to avoid accidental turbo and people throwing around votes on the same person willy-nilly.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

To clear up the obvious content Quid stumbled upon, F/SN is and 'erotic visual novel' mostly because at the time, VNs without some sort of sex scene literally don't sell and the writer was pressured into it (and also, if you've ever read them, can't really write sex scenes worth a hill of beans). Literally every adaptation and spinoff has ignored that part since.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

So it's a 2014 TV series and it looks like the 2015 is the sequel?

Is the 2014 special before the 2014 TV series necessary viewing?

Why am I spending this much time on this :v:

To very quickly sum it all up:

The game itself from 2004 has three routes, there is an anime of the first route from 2006, and an anime of the second route from 2014-2015, the one from 2006 isn't as good and most people, as is my understanding, will tell you just to watch the 2014-2015 one.

There is a movie adaptation planned for the third and final route but isn't out yet.

There is a 2011-2012 anime that largely serves as a prequel that a lot of people like but you don't need to actually watch.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

I am at least remotely curious as to what this source material is because I like being informed :v:

So if I'm starting with the 2014 series, do I need to watch the prequel special?

This will also be my ending of commentary on this~

You do not need to watch the prequel special, to my knowledge.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Haikus in winter
Always tend to trip me up
Oh no, now I've tripped

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

The Grail is a sucker's trap, everyone knows that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

What if, and here's an honest question

What if I don't like this vote

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

GulagDolls posted:

then you will have to face my Stand, "Unlimited Minecraft Works," during the class trial

hm

you will have to give me some time to formulate a response, that is a power move right there.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Juchero if you are town, I'm very sorry for starting this, people always decide to listen to me all of a sudden when I'm unconfirmed and making crap cases

Sounding kinda hedgey there, Bif. Not like Day 1 has any better cases.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

That said, I'm still feeling my vote on Monathin until he at least responds to my case.

Sorry Twin, got busier this weekend than I expected to be, let me indulge you real quick.

Murmur Twin posted:

He's not really putting a lot of thought into "who is scum?" - I feel like Monathin is using flavor knowledge to give the impression of content. The signal:noise ratio makes me suspicious. ##vote Monathin

I am patently not a fan of making D1 cases - I feel a lot of people tend to pounce on what looks like the scummiest behavior, which I feel overwhelming ends up in a town dunk by accident. I understand by strict numbers it's better to dunk than not on Day 1 and will usually try and see which of the cases I feel are -actually- legitimate, but I'm pretty reserved. That probably registers as scum to some folk, but day 1 tends to be pretty wacky and tumultuous, with or without jokephase.

That said, I have a bit more free time today, and deadline's this evening, so I'm gonna try and get some casework out there and see if anyone's seeing what I'm seeing.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

I'm not going to get baited into the trap of further setup spec but I think Bif's claim of the game not being flavor-solvable is on the right track, there are some people in the flavor as Bif setup who I would expect to be more scum-aligned than others, but Bif's right that there's enough wiggle room in how F/SN presents itself that there's a fair amount of safety in fakeclaims.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KhediveRex posted:

I think at this point Bread has basically confirmed he's in a masonry with "Ilya".

I think this is an interesting observation given that apparently Bread is saying that he is not in fact in any sort of masonry. Can you walk me through your thought process here?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Juchero posted:

it would actually make sense that berserker and ilya can't talk because berserker is a big ol dummy who can't communicate outside of angry growls and grunts

Not to get into further setup spec, but I feel the same way, it makes sense to me, and paints fiddy's posts in the thread in a different light, one I'm more comfortable with.

But I'm asking Rex why he thought that Bread had confirmed anything vis a vis a masonry.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Alright, now that I got you to walk me through, tell me something else

who do you think is scum/you're willing to vote for with end of day fast approaching. Give me some arguments.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Actually, let's give that a little more punch.

##vote Rex

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KhediveRex posted:

From my perspective you all are accusing each other of being serial killers because of grammatical differences. Theres no evidence to work with yet, except trying to judge if players are behaving differently from other games you've played with them.

I don't know any of you. Perhaps that puts me at a disadvantage but, I don't put stock in any of the cases at the moment. No one has died. Theres no evidence. And I can't make bricks without clay.

The thing of it is that, generally, Day 1 is the easiest time for scum to try and fly under the radar for the very same reasons you posted. Nling, while -possible- option, effectively gives the scum a free kill, which is something people will generally avoid doing D1.

You can say "I can't make bricks without clay" all you want, but it's not about meta arguments - or at least, I don't consider meta arguments any more valuable than regular arguments. I'm in a similar boat in that I've played maybe two games with some of these people, max. This is Space's second game, as I recall. You're not the only newbie here.

But you have to try and poke at inconsistencies and weird things to get people to try and explain it, because there's a genuine difference between an honest mistake when pressured and a scumslip That's where the game lies.

For instance, you're doing something that people would call 'hedging' - which is that you're saying "well, Quid seems slightly off but that could just be pressure, so I don't know", it doesn't actually put any suspicions down, and you didn't say why Quid was suspicious. Interactions with other people in the thread? Gut read? You can say if it's a gut read you're feeling, but you have to put something out there, which you demonstrably aren't.

That's why I'm feeling suspicious. Call the kettle black if you want.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Prince of Space posted:

So are you suggesting that it's the NORM for Servant/Master pairs to be in a masonry this game? This is very troubling... such Role Madness indeed!

Not to try and rolefish here, but didn't Tired Moritz early on say that he was "best girl?" Does that mean Tired Moritz and 50 pounds of bread might be in a mason-buddy-alliance?

This, unfortunately, doesn't make sense to me mathematically Prince - if Bread is both 1) actually Berserker and 2) not in a masonry (two things I am currently willing to take on faith on D1), then that would make masonries uneven. I legitimately think focusing on that aspect isn't gonna get anyone any closer to solving the setup, and it's a bad lead.

Like Bif said though - who do you got thinking as suspect? We weren't on the same side in Shine but I was pretty impressed with your posting there, gimme something.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

KhediveRex posted:

So walk me through this...

1 in 14 people in this game is the Killer. We have the option to attempt to eliminate him in Day 1.

If we fail and land on one of the other 13 people, then we go into Day 2 having lost two town members instead of one.

If we succeed and vote out the killer Day 1 ... the game ends? Right? Before anything could happen? ... Not much of a game ...

So, that's how I'm interpreting this. I don't see how not lynching one of our own day 1 gives the scum a "free kill". Or why lynching Day 1 would be the obvious strategy in this situation.

Alright, I'll give you this one real quick for free, even though I really probably shouldn't:

A handy part of setup spec you should actually take with you: there's never just 'one' scum, or very rarely. I understand that Death Note Mafia had one killer? But that's an exception. Generally scum will be somewhere around ~20% of the players needed for a game. So for a 14-person game, there could be anywhere from 2-3 'scum', not counting potential 3rd party roles with their own victory conditions, such as Serial Killer, etc.

We have to successfully catch multiple killers, who are often in communication with each other about how to influence the thread. That's why there's an effort to hunt, even on Day 1.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Chic Trombone posted:

i'm actually feeling like rex is town now because if they were scum they surely would've been told how the game works by their buddies, yeah?

##unvote

While I'm loathe to agree because I still think Rex is shady, not knowing there are multiple members of the scumteam, while being scum, would be a hard gambit to pull off, imho.

So yeah I'll also ##unvote, need to reconsider some things.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah I gotta agree, though his fixation on wanting to know more about Avenger and stuff still gives me the heebie-jeebies a little.

:agreed:

I wouldn't rule out Rex as a 3p, their posting still doesn't look good so far, but after that I'd be hard pressed to see Rex as scum until something damning came to light.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

b-minus1 posted:

ive never played a game with rex before, and admit that his earlier posts weren't pinging me in the way that they were to some people, but do you really think it would be that hard of a gambit to pull off? playing the dumb townie aka "hey guys i dont know how to play mafia maybe theres just one killer and thats it lets try to find them" seems like a really easy way to ensure survival imo

The thing is that Rex is genuinely new in some respects, and I honestly feel like if a newbie scum was trying to play up hard the newbie aspect that hard, they either would not think of a gambit that so clearly has a lack of understanding of the rules when there would be people less new who could guide them.

That, and I feel like it'd be very easy for newbie scum to make a contradiction trying to play to that.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

tl;dr Rex's confusion seems to come from a very earnest place of having Death Note Mafia having been their first game, and thus not used to the idea of scumteams in general. I feel like someone who was just 'playing' at new would gently caress up that level of ignorance about how standard Mafia setup is way too easily.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

What do people think about Juchero? Am I alone in thinking his suspicion of 50 while not thinking 50 is scum is suspicious?

I'll go over their posting again but I couldn't really make heads or tails of anything beyond their original weird extended bit past jokephase. Doesn't mean I wouldn't vote them with deadline looming, but I didn't see anything explicitly damning.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

And of course, with Quid being my biggest suspect at the moment, it's hard for me to not see Juch as a townie that Quid was jumping on the minute he did something that was easy to call bad. In this scenario, scum Quid would've felt like he had to back off once it looked like the overall opinion on Juch was swinging towards "oh no lets wait and see instead of mislunching poor Juch again".

Wasn't Quid the one who brought up that Juch was often mislynched? That doesn't strike me as something Scum Quid would care about/bring up unless he was reading the mood more intently than I was at the time.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

Man, that sure is a 180, did the haiku change your mind that much?

Actually yeah Bif I knew you didn't forget that Juchero and Quid had that whole bit earlier, and I honestly felt like the mood in the room on Juch didn't reverse until Quid brought up the fact that they're misdunked often, so. What gives.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Just gonna stick this here until I get a response ##vote Bifauxnen

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Hmm. Okay.

##unvote

I'm getting a little too free with my votes here. I'm gonna try and make some last minute reads as deadline approaches.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Murmur Twin posted:

I think Bif/Quid is a slapfight.

I am also starting to lean heavily in this direction, but the last time you called a slapfight one of the two were scum. :v:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Quidthulhu posted:

I like this from Mona but don't like that I don't think I've heard from him since then. There's definitely a lot being discussed especially before I came in and took over the thread with my yelling and he was real good in Shine at making observations as he read quietly so I'm a bit susp on him being MIA.

I've been here today and even pressed on Bif when she forgot the post you've made when you started to come in. I was also pretty suspect and pushing on Rex before Rex had that weird comment about a singular killer that makes them specifically less suspect as a scum to me. I've been engaging back and forth with the thread. I need to finish a read on Juch still because I got admittedly distracted.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Prince of Space posted:

Quidthulhu, admit it, you're only suspicious of Tobbs Gnawed because he's siding with Bifauxnen and GulagDolls in voting for you.

If (for some silly reason) I was only looking at Quidthulhu, Bifauxnen, Tobbs Gnawed, and Murmur Twin, I would say that of those four, Tobbs Gnawed is the most suspect due to all his frequent vote changes onto the vote leaders.

Prince, walk me through the logic on this one. You're calling out Quid on thinking Tobbs is suspect while... agreeing with some of his arguments?

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

oh like that one weird comment I only just now happened to notice in the sea of Quidposts was seriously some master gambit you set up ahead of time all along, loving laffo dude

Bif give me a question: Outside of Quid, who would you lunch today to avoid a NL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

How much time do we have to deadline?

• Locked thread