Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

A poster to surpass Bifauxnen!

"Role Madness".

"Weird Roles."

"Slightly Damaged Mind."

Who could possibly say no to that? I'm down. I'm a relative novice in the world of Mafia but, if you don't mind a little bit of fumbling and a lot of questions, sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Murmur Twin posted:

Yaaay hi KRex! :j::hf::v:

Murmur! Long time no see. Looks like we've got another Mafia in store, quite looking forward.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

Good player list!

I'll second that! I actually recognize about half of you from the Deathnote Mafia. I guess I've been floating around these games long enough.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

If Kira ends up in this game somehow, I'll be sure to keep your confession in mind.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

I should hope not, but I don't care how random the alignments are, if Shinji is in this game he needs to fuckin die

Bifauxnen posted:

THIS Shinji is an irredeemable absolute piece of poo poo whose misdeeds I do not even wish to describe since this is a fun and chill and nice game

Hopefully hes not even in this game though and it's his sister who's the PC instead

Thou doth protest too much.

##vote:Bif

... Also I have no idea who Shinji is...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

##vote Bif

Bif is Shinji. And Shinji is ... Bad? If Bif is to be believed...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Prince of Space posted:

How is Bif Shinji?

Sounds like Shinji-talk, KehdiveRex.

I was wrong. Bif if Shinji's equally villainous sister, Sakura.

Do I win? Or is it like Clue? Do I need to guess the murder weapon too?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

this case has been noted, also KhediveRex trying to play flavor detective for real and not even doing a good job of it.

Bif, will you be my friend? I don't care that you're really Shinji, and that you're going to kill all of us. I'm just really lonely...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

If I was one of the Matous, it'd be more like you'd WISH you were dead

N1 action. Make target wish they were dead.

... Yeah. I'd play that game. It sounds suitably surreal.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

anyone who wants to learn more about the the flavor involved here, I highly recommend you stop googling before you get to the dickworms

You had me at dickworms.

... which I guess was technically the last word in your post but, the point remains.

You had my curiosity. Now you have my attention.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

code:
* Based on the second route of the Fate/Stay Night erotic visual novel by Type-Moon.
:catstare:

Well this game just gets curiouser and curiouser.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

lol nice new ave Khedive, glad you're reading Gaspy

Murmur Twin posted:

Woah that is a cool avatar!

...what is it exactly?

You know ... I'm honestly not certain. It just kind of ... happened to me.

No, I mean I literally did nothing for this avatar or the underlying quote. And I just found out about it.

... So ... That's charming.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

SalTheBard posted:

MG:S is one of my favorite game series so I approve hardily!

Is that what this is? I have never seen this picture before.

I like it a lot. Gun metal grey with sharp geometry. I'm thrilled to have.

Thank you random Santa / Tooth fairy / Charity organization! I'love be sending you Christmas cards forever. Long after your natural death.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

Morning all

do you still need a friend Khedive? Or did B- finally log into discord now

I still need so many friends! Do you like chess?!

We can be friends and play chess?!

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

uhhhhh

do your "friends" spend a lot of time going to church? :ohdear:

I saw the inside of a church once. In my early childhood. Dreadful experience. Churches are inherently creepy places.

So, apart from trespassing on church grounds after hours to do tarot readings by their frightful Gregorian statues... Not really.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Prince of Space posted:

I also like to play as Ryu. :downs:

Ryu is OP. Yoshi and Villager are the two best characters.

Wait ... were we not talking about Super Smash Bros? Cause ... we should obviously be talking about Super Smash Bros...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Prince of Space posted:

I didn't realize "joke phase" was over. My apologies! This is my second Mafia game after all, and I was under the impression that joke phase never actually ends.

Jokephase never dies. It just fades away.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

50 pounds of bread posted:

HGRRRRRO...

*pants heavily*

You are so intense man. I'm freaking out.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Chic Trombone posted:

not really feeling either of the cases at the moment tbh

i'm thinkin i'll ##vote Rex

Thank you! It feels great to be acknowledged.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Chic, will you be my friend? I asked Bif and they got all evasive and wanted to know if I go to church...

So that was weird.

... Do you like Chess? Someone on this thread has to like chess.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Chic Trombone posted:

but take a look at rex's posting and tell me i'm not right about what they're doing

I took a quick look. It was largely unhelpful.

I've responded to Bif more than I thought I had. I think i'm developing a cordial acquaintance with Prince of Space. I obviously didn't know either Shinji or Sakura before Bif made a stink about them. I seem to have some prior familiarity with MurmerTwin. I claim this is one of my first mafia games in my opening post, and state I'll play it because I enjoyed the possibility of wackiness.

.... I don't know. Theres not really a lot to go on yet. But I'm prepared to follow your gut on this one.

##vote Rex

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

You should meet me in real life sometime. I'm weirder.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Yeah, that was a good time. It was a peragame. She posted a chess position d2 or something. The four knights variation of the Ruy Lopez opening. Totally standard tournament position except that black had moved his king to e7 instead of castling. Which was just madness.

I assumed the puzzle involved finding the game where this position happened. It turned out to be a conglomerate metaphor for the behavior of major parties in the game.

That pera, she's tricky.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

That someone is me! Allow me to try and give a brief example. With 14 roles, the obvious way this game should be laid out is with 7 Masters and 7 Servants: ...

This is the first helpful thing I've seen posted in almost 3 days. Please tell me more about Avenger Bif.

I don't buy the angle that it's a battle royale. I also don't buy the angle that Bif is just distracting us. All of what they posted is potentially useful information. If the anime traditionally splits people into pairings we can be pretty sure thats an element of the game and will exist for a reason. I think at this point Bread has basically confirmed he's in a masonry with "Ilya". Juchero's post makes me feel like he wanted to correct Bif's pairing list but didn't want to be noticed correcting it. If two people have responded to the pairing list like it's a thing, then pairs aren't an isolated incident.

I think there's enough evidence to assert that Masonries are two-person pairings, probably in general. And if I had to guess why, my first impression by way of game mechanics would be that Avenger can convert a servant to scum after he has killed the servant's master. That makes more sense to me than the notion that everyone is fighting everyone else.

Does Avenger have a master? Does Avenger have well established powers or political allies? Are we taking the grail from Avenger or is he another person racing to get it first? I would love to know more and the wiki for this game is dense.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Juchero posted:

avenger is actually inside the grail as of the 5th war

they're a special case, and trying to explain them is indeed rather confusing

They're inside the grail? ...

Does the Grail have powers of some sort? Is it keeping Avenger alive and/or giving Avenger it's abilities?

I mean, I assume the game is about finding and killing Avenger. Him being the Holy Grail complicates that notion.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Monathin posted:

I think this is an interesting observation given that apparently Bread is saying that he is not in fact in any sort of masonry. Can you walk me through your thought process here?

I wrote my response to Bif before I read Bread break character and ask if the rest of us were in Masonries. So, I was working with outdated information.

On the other hand you can see where I would draw that conclusion. He's called himself Berserker once or twice, claimed his purpose is to protect a little girl, a little girl gets named in the context of being Berserker's Master and, shortly thereafter, bread quotes her name and says...

50 pounds of bread posted:

LITTLE GIRL...

MUST... PROTECT...

I think I was in the right assuming they spoke to each other. I don't assume so anymore.

However, if they're not in a masonry, it worth noting that Ilya is still a huge part of Breads character (wanting to protect her and growling is 70 percent of Breads posts so far.) So, how does Bread know Ilya? Maybe he's a fan of the series and just knows berserker and Ilya are a thing? Maybe it was in his role PM that he needed to defend Ilya? Someway or another, I would assume that Ilya is in this game. And that Berserker is in some way associated. Them not being in Masonries together is very curious.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Monathin posted:

Alright, now that I got you to walk me through, tell me something else

who do you think is scum/you're willing to vote for with end of day fast approaching. Give me some arguments.

I think that being voted for on the first day is an issue of popularity more than anything. To be frank.

From my perspective you all are accusing each other of being serial killers because of grammatical differences. Theres no evidence to work with yet, except trying to judge if players are behaving differently from other games you've played with them.

I don't know any of you. Perhaps that puts me at a disadvantage but, I don't put stock in any of the cases at the moment. No one has died. Theres no evidence. And I can't make bricks without clay.

If pressed I'd say Quid does strike me as slightly off. On the other hand he's also the one who has been interrogated and corrected the most agressively, and when you put someone on tilt you can't be surprised when they're responses get a little hectic. He hasn't done anything to merit suspicions. I just think he's a touch suspicious.

I'll say I feel the same way about Chic. For a slightly different reason. It's the same reason I suspected Bif at first. People get more aggressive when they have something to hide. When you have nothing to hide it's easy to shrug it off. When you want to argue for two forum pages about it, it's a sign it means something to you.

But yeah, none of that is a fine explanation for killing people who will probably end up being town. I'm gonna vote me. I'll know then at least that my vote is meaningless for this turn.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

So walk me through this...

1 in 14 people in this game is the Killer. We have the option to attempt to eliminate him in Day 1.

If we fail and land on one of the other 13 people, then we go into Day 2 having lost two town members instead of one.

If we succeed and vote out the killer Day 1 ... the game ends? Right? Before anything could happen? ... Not much of a game ...

So, that's how I'm interpreting this. I don't see how not lynching one of our own day 1 gives the scum a "free kill". Or why lynching Day 1 would be the obvious strategy in this situation.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

At this point neither Quid nor Bif has credibility in my mind. I think they're fight could have reasonably been resolved pages ago. It strikes me as two people arguing because of meta.

I do think it's curious that Tobbs is 100% behind Bif. Neither Bif or Quid has done anything yet. (Talked with each other? Which is enough I guess but... not really for me yet.) If I were in his position I certainly wouldn't be vouching for a person I didn't know.

Tobbs, who do you think we should lynch? Not Bif obviously but, what's your case at the moment?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

See, your constant repetition of, "TOBBS IS 100% CERTAIN BIF IS TOWN.", while egregiously false, is being repeated by other players.

Get dunked on lying scum :)

Acknowledges that I asked him a question cause I thought he was suspicious. Deftly sidesteps the question to admonish Quid more.

... That's the sort of stuff I'm looking for? Right? I think I get it now...

Tobbs, do you have a case?

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Quid, don't worry about those other posters. We can be friends. I'll teach you chess and we can go to exotic places and talk about stuff.

Ever been in a bar fight? We can totally get into a barfight.

All I'm saying is, its not so bad. At least you've made a friend out of the ordeal.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Thank you Monathin.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I don't think Quid is scum either. I do think there's a serious personality clash between them and Bif. And I think that conflict is unfortunate but, also, not really something the rest of us should be obligated to work through with them.

You two need to like... Kiss. Or fight in a war together. Maybe start with tea. Theres a lot of pent up aggression i'm feeling here. Chamomile helps with that.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Quidthulhu posted:

Iím the cop, and Illy.

Have fun, everyone.

You can't leave Quid! You're my only friend!

No really though. I think that's sad.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I'm okay with lynching Quid. I'm not okay with lynching a cop.

##vote Tired Moritz

Moritz, you don't deserve it man.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

I'd be quite happy to go on playing, I just hope that, town OR scum, Quid has a think about what he's saying and how his accusations seem to be going uncomfortably past the game.

And I'm not kissing nobody, ick, cooties

Quidthulhu posted:

I also hope that you, too, will look at the way you interact with people who disagree with you and reflect on the way you treat them when you are expressing those feelings of disagreement.

Monathin posted:

I'm sorry I got mad. I have a very short tolerance for what happened tonight in this thread, and I should have followed my own advice and walked away.

That was beautiful. That whole exchange. Unprompted gentleness everywhere. I love all three of you.

Quid though, really, I hope I get to play with you again.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

realtalk, that is what I have been doing, literally, every.single. game. since Shine IV when I saw I got Asiina really mad.

I made a pledge to play one game avoiding profanity or insults despite Taste constantly calling me a retard and flerp dayvigging me.
Then I made a pledge to try and reduce my postcount since I could see, on reflection, that I couldn't blame flerp for tuning out and not seeing how obviously townie I was when I just post so goddamn much he didn't want to read it. But you got mad at me for not engaging you enough.
Then I played FF6 and got cased by MT for "being too nice."
Then I played Cudlaty, and had Hal and Asiina call me the Donald Trump of Mafia, implying that the reason I couldn't read Hal as town was cause I just don't have enough human empathy or something.
I am continuing my efforts despite this.

This game I have been on your case a lot, but despite my not wanting to make our slapfight TWICE AS LONG by replying to everything you prod me on, I have been reading your posts. Which you yourself admit you have not been doing for me even when I do a Lumpenlist like you ask. And apart from an occasional "lol", I have been trying to make sure I don't get too insulting, and continue emphasize how I just find your assertions to be wrong, and perhaps on purpose because you are scum, but this does make me not angry with you as a person.

If despite all that, you still want to just go NO YOU SUCK BIF NOTHING IS WRONG WITH MY BEHAVIOR IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT I HATE MAFIA well then enjoy FF7 without me.

Hey, I thought we were being gentle. Man.

I still think all of you are awesome. Sometime awesome people disagree. But you know what? That's awesome too!

...Everything is awesome...

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

I'm proud of you thread! We're back to the unprompted gentleness thing! The shocking power of kindness. The nurturing dignity of mutual-respect.

Visualize whirled peas. Man.

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

My Very First Lumpenlist!

Suspicious Characters:

Bread: I'm not sure I trust his flavor anymore. He made a lot of noise about wanting to find the little girl. To protect the little girl. He found the little girl. The little girl dies. Where did that protect thing come in? If he couldn't protect her, why make all the noise in thread about protecting her? Could he have wanted to find Ilya for other reasons? In any event, his flavor is thrown into question. And that logically throws his behavior into question.

Tobbs: Quid had a good point last night that Tobbs had been playing very friendly with Bif. Not suspicious by itself but, I notice it has stopped being the case today. Suspicions were on him just as much yesterday, I seem to recall. Today he's a little more defensive and much cooler toward the person he was hoping to make an ally. Changed his strategy after he got called on it?

Really though, half of my suspicions with Tobbs comes from the duel he's involved in with MurmerTwin. I don't see why, if he had that power, he would use it on MurmurTwin. He calls it a gut read. It feels more to me like a "I want to use this and see how it works." (Correct me if dueling is a standard power, I think the whole idea is weird.) I just don't see how or why a duel developed between townies. Sort of in general. And having said that.

MurmurTwin: I have to put her on the list of suspicious people because she's the other half of the duel. She and Tobbs are fighting for reasons that haven't been sufficiently explained to us. I also note that like Tobbs, MurmurTwin wasn't very active around deadline, even though it was a very important deadline. That's far from daming evidence but, it is worth noting.

Curious Characters:

Bif: My read on her is town. My gut on her is town. She's in curious character largely because she's been pushing a narrative about how to interpret Quid's death last night and she thought it was important to correct Monathin's alternate view of things. Both of their perspectives seem fair, i'd like to be able to work with all the evidence and all the perspectives. Most probably town but I'm still paying attention.

Juchero: Hasn't really done much. Call it a gut read. He's too chill?

Sweethearts:

Sal: I just think he's tremendously genuine. He reminds me of Sam from Lord of the Rings. Sal, you're good people and I'm sending you good vibes.

But no, basically, I saw him reacting emotionally last night to what was going on with Quid/Bif and the whole fiasco and I buy that he was playing with the best intentions.

Monathin: Jumped in to try and save the day with the Bif/Quid fight. Got too worked up. Gave a genuine apology afterwards. You have all the right intentions Monathin! I salute you. (Same deal. Saw him get emotional.)

Chic: I would actually put Chic in my lowest tier of "Probably Town". But I do think she's probably town. And she also apologized for getting angry last night and, consequently, she belongs in this category. Chic, you called me friend exactly one time (I think in a semi-sarcastic way), and that makes you my only friend. Forever.

Probably ... Town?:

Everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhediveRex
Jul 11, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Since I've already claimed, the dueling is flavor.

My ability is to delay a player's action resolution by one night.

MMT doesn't have anything to do with it apart from the fact that she was my target.

Can you explain why she was your target?

Also, what would the danger have been of telling us your power last night? A one turn move delay isn't scary. It wouldn't have gotten you targeted. Do you think town could have given you a better guess at who to duel, if you'd chosen to confide in us? Wouldn't telling us have removed suspicion on you when Quid was pushing hard? What was your rationale?

• Locked thread