Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Re-reading b-minus:

b-minus1 posted:

wow I don't like this post at all, but I really hate the bold parts. this only reinforces the notion that you scumslipped and got caught.
##vote KhediveRex

On a re-read, the bolded parts in b-minus'es rebuttal don't really reinforce anything to do with Rex's perceived scumslip. This is probably a fake case.

b-minus1 posted:

i don't have time to write up a full response to AA right this second, but I will confirm that I visited bif n1 (which should be obvious in my first couple of posts at the start of d2) and also can confirm that sal is town. i did not block him, i did not kill anyone. i cant "do" anything to anyone. actually my ability has been rendered almost completely useless at this point in the game.

---

(tobbs): I think AA is saying you visited Bif N2?

---

Well AA is either lying or received incorrect information. I did not visit bif n2 nor did I roleblock Sal. I'm a flavor cop. each night i pick a target and learn their flavor. this is why I've been obsessed with flavor all game and why almost all of my discussions with juchero involved trying to figure out flavor, and potentially catch people using a flavor fakeclaim.

And this one is pretty egregious. He goes from confirming that AA's post is accurate to calling him a liar after Tobbs points out that AA's case doesn't line up with B-'s story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

50 pounds of bread posted:

WAITING FOR PERSON WHO TARGET ME FESS UP

B- STILL THINK I BAD GUY?

---

BERZERKER NOT SAY UNTIL FESS UP

---

IF TARGET BERZERKER ALL GAME FESS UP

ESPECIALLY LAST NIGHT THOUGH

TELL WHY TELL WHAT

---

BERZERKER KNOW WHAT AND WHO

NOT KNOW WHY

BIG THING HAPPEN IF LIES

I'm hoping there's a payoff to this?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Hi all! Just got home from work and have pretty much nothing to do other than this game until it's football time.

Prince of Space posted:

So if GulagDolls is telling the truth about KhediveRex and Tobbs Gnawed being in a duel last night, and SaltheBard's telling the truth about 50 pounds of bread not going anywhere last night, then I know what everyone except for Monathin, Anonymous Amalgam, and Murmur Twin were up to last night.

That leaves Monathin, Anonymous Amalgam, and Murmur Twin who could've done the night kill. Who's been the scummiest of those three? My vote:

##vote Murmur Twin

I'm going to have more to say about Prince in a bit but until then I wanted to just ask something while it popped into my brain.

Bifauxnen posted:

Well yeah, they managed to pull off the kill... but even if they had a strongman, what if Quid was watched? Or what if they got blocked some other way? Relying on night actions leaves a lot up to chance. Lunching Quid during the day is a sure-fire kill in comparison.

Prince: Did Bif leave any indication of who she targetted n1 to you?

I think Sal not seeing 50 go anywhere is far from a slam dunk. Scum had a godfather with an ability in a role madness game and we have both a tracker and a watcher - if you asked me to bet on whether or not scum has a ninja on their team, I would bet "yes".

RATHER NOT

NOT HELP GOOD ONES MUCH

BAD ONES KNOWING BERZERKER MOVE HELP THEM ALOT

##vote 50 - at this point I want to deal with 50''s schtick once and for all. I feel that hearing the specific reason he didn't go anywhere (specifically to pressure him because I think he's scum) outweighs any merit there might be in taking him at face value and letting him continue to float through this game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

I feel like this would go against Nat20 saying that we could solve this via flavor, but on the other hand I've started to get more and more suspicious of MMT's hider claim as the game goes on. It's awfully convenient in a game with two town-aligned detective roles (Cop, Watcher), and a scum Rolecop.

There were three town-aligned detective roles if you believe Sal, which I do. And I think my role is far more believable than Juchero's, which was real. I admittedly disagree with trying to flavor-solve the game, because (a) Nat20 said we couldn't and I believe him, (b) I don't know anything about the flavor so basically have to take people at face value and (c) we're late enough in the game that there's plenty of good in-thread material to work with at this point.

I didn't do anything last night and plan to hide tonight, people are free to use that information however they see fit.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

BERZERKER MAD...

NEED PROTECT LITTLE GIRL!!!!

KILL... SMASH... BREAKKKKK

---

LITTLE... GIRL... MY... CHARGE...

PROTECT... WITH... LIFE...

---

LITTLE GIRL! I WILL PROTECT!

---

LITTLE GIRL... PURE HEART...

BERZERKER... KILL HER ENEMIES!

Day 1, 50 is driving the point home that (a) he is Berzerker and (b) he can protect "little girl".
He doesn't make any cases. Meanwhile, Quid claims Ilya/cop.

GRAAAAGGGHHH NOOOOOOOOOOO!

BERZERKER ANGRY... BERZERKER NOT PROTECT LITTLE GIRL...

BERZERKER NOT ABLE...

---

WHAT WANT FROM BERZERKER.

BERZERKER TELL YOU LITTLE GIRL CONFIRM PURE HEART.

IT KNOWN TO BERZERKER SO HE SPEAK IT

TRY PROTECT LITTLE GIRL BY MAKING THINK I COULD STOP BAD ONES.

HAVE NOT POWER TO STOP BAD ONES.

---

BERZERKER MESSAGE FROM GODS TELL BERZERKER LITTLE GIRL PURE HEART

THINK LITTLE GIRL MAYBE GET SAME ABOUT BERZERKER BERZERKER NOT SURE

BERZERKER MAKE LITTLE GIRL PURE HEART KNOWN

BERZERKER NO TALK SECRETS TO LITTLE GIRL

Day 2 arrives, Quid was NKed. 50 addresses the lack of protection of the claimed cop with "oh I was lying about having that because I wanted to be NK'ed instead". He then mentions that "little girl" was confirmed to him and that he was pretty sure "little girl" got similar confirmation of his alighnment.

There are a few issues I have with this that I'd love for 50 to address:

(a) He was claiming that he would protect "little girl" before Quid claimed so I don't buy that it's a strategy he had for all of d1.
(b) If indeed he was claiming doctor (or something similar) - why wasn't he targetted n1? Scum obviously had no worries targetting Quid yet felt comfortable RB'ing Prince instead of 50 - how is it that a claimed doctor went totally ignored by scum?
(c) Why didn't Quid outright confirm 50 when he full-claimed? He was obviously trying to act in town's best interest, why not just say it?
(d) Why even bring up that "oh Quid knew I was town", and only after Quid was dead? Is there an explanation for that that isn't self-preservation?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

##VOTE MURMUR TWIN

JUST CAN'T SEE WORLD HIDER GOES ALONG SIDE BERZERKER

NOT MAKE SENSE

EASE OF GOING AFTER BERZERKER WHEN BERZERKER CLEARLY GOOD

TRY BE OPPORTUNITY

I hope "try be opportunity" isn't me being called opportunistic by someone putting me at -2 with 1 day and 6 hours left to go in the game day.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SAID "I THINK" SPECULATIVE

BAD ONE IS STRETCHING WORDS TRY MAKE UNTRUTH

I invite everyone to read my points and make their own conclusions, and encourage you to defend yourself with the truth.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

So that makes you Souichirou Kuzuki, GulagDolls?

KhediveRex must be Gilgamesh, then. If anyone, Gilgamesh would have a masonry with Kirei (B-minus1).

A seperate masonry from the scumdoc?

quote:

I think this game has been flavor-solved.

I think Murmur Twin is Shinji (rather than Sakura) and she killed Tobbs Gnawed last night while Hiding, making her untargetable.

I think KhediveRex is Gilgamesh, and he was in a duel with Tobbs Gnawed / Assassin last night.

---

(Nat20): 6. Flavour is flavour, you’re welcome to pursue arguments on it if you want, however, I intentionally have not made clear, when exactly in Fate Stay Night this takes place or what of the three main routes it takes place under, so it’s not a silver bullet.

I think Prince trying to push a flavor case when we had this much information is way scummier than anything I've done. How would I have hid and killed on the same night?

For the record, I tried to hide on N3 (assuming that I'd be able to since i sent it N1) and was told by Nat20 that I couldn't hide N3 because "I can only hide every other night", hence my doing it tonight. I didn't do anything last night.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

The amount of shade that has been thrown on me because of speculation on my role / flavor without any effort to go back and read my posts/cases this game is obnoxious.

WELL I DEFINITELY NOT ZOUKEN

SHOOT ME IF WANT

I LAUGH BECAUSE I STRONGER THAN ATTACKS

---

OH ACTUALLY

BERZERKER IS ZOUKEN

TRY KILL ME WITH DAY SHOOT

i second this.

Prince of Space posted:

It's also possible that there is no Zouken Matou and KhediveRex is throwing out names.

I also second this.

Prince of Space posted:

Zouken Matou is the patriarch and grandfather of Sakura / Shinji Matou. It wouldn't be a perfect fit flavorwise but it's plausible.

Alternatively Gulagdolls is Zouken and Monathin is True Assassin, but I highly doubt that.

Would someone who has been following the flavor stuff explain to me why Prince can't be Zouken?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Prince of Space - Roleblocked GulagDolls (his #2 scum read)
GulagDolls - tried to protect Tobbs Gnawed, was roleblocked by Prince of Space instead.

Oh yeah this sure clears you as town.

##vote Prince - at least until he makes a case on me that isn't flavor speculation and arbitrarily trusting some people but not others.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also what, town has a cop, watcher, tracker, and Nat20 said "you know which team needs a roleblocker? town."?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Murmur Twin posted:

Also what, town has a cop, watcher, tracker, and duelist, Nat20 said "you know which team needs a roleblocker? town."?

mafia edit

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Since I'm currently reading you as scum this just comes off as jealousy that you had to manage as scum without a roleblock.

Nope, it's definitely me accusing you of being a scum roleblocker.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

Rex, please use your dayvig on either prince or MMT. dealer's choice.

Haha sweet, I choose Prince :j:

KhediveRex posted:

Alright, what's your take on Prince of Space? He started in a mason with an Amnesiac. That's odd and note worthy.

Murmur has been very quiet since B- flipped. She's been one of the quieter people all game though. Could she be scum? Sal's surety not withstanding, sure. But is she Zouken?

I feel reasonably sure that the scum can be found within the pool of Prince, 50, Gulag (from strongest to weakest read).

At the same time, it's getting frustrating try to convince town that scum can lie about night actions / that trying to use flavor to solve a game that the mod said can't be flavor-solved is bad, and I'm not at the point where I'm trying to skip watching the Super Bowl to try and save myself from Rex dayvigging me.

GulagDolls posted:

mmt has been pinging me simply because her game here seems different from her town game I've seen. this isn't something that can be effectively communicated without a 400 page psychological dossier so for now call it a 'soul read.'

This is every case against me this game. I'm clinging to the hope that town will figure out that the push on me is scummy if I die, which is the main reason I'm not sweating this push too bad.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Would vote mmt. Their current disengagement from the game is curious, but gulag has behaved this way all game. The behavior is curious, masonry or not

I stayed up late last night watching the Super Bowl, went to work, played a poker tournament after work, and just got home. Sometimes real life happens!

KhediveRex posted:

My honest read on Murmur is that she seems to be getting rightly pissed that no one will talk with her or acknowledge her points.

It was admittedly annoying cycling through a bunch of "MMT is a Matou? i don't need to think about anything else" posts, but I'm hoping we can Mafia now.

BERZERKER NOT HAVE NIGHT ACTION

BERZERKER DAY TIME POWERHOUSE

IF ANYONE TARGET BERZERKER AT ALL THIS GAME FESS UP

OTHERWISE BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO YOU

---

MMT PROBABLY ZOUKEN

HIDER GOOD AT DODGING STRONGMAN VIG

NOT GOOD AT DODGING DAYVIG

---

WELL I DEFINITELY NOT ZOUKEN

SHOOT ME IF WANT

I LAUGH BECAUSE I STRONGER THAN ATTACKS

---

OH ACTUALLY

BERZERKER IS ZOUKEN

TRY KILL ME WITH DAY SHOOT

It's honestly driving me crazy that 50 is just posting useless nonsense and people are giving him a pass for it. ##vote 50 Can someone tell me what about him they think is town? It's not that hard to fake bulletproof.

Also, I'm going to hide to tonight and encourage people to test my claim.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Nice, Murmur Twin is still voting for me.

You were not nearly this disengaged when you were town in the Shine V game, Murmur Twin.

You got me! My leaving my vote on you was obviously some scum master plan and not a result of me not having as much time to Mafia this week.

More seriously, I recently ruined a Mafia game by going crazy when people wouldn't listen to me, and so I've been trying to make an effort not to force-feed my reads down other people's throats and to listen to their cases. This game has been a whole bunch of Night Action Mafia (which I think is bad) and Flavor Solve Mafia (which I think is worse) instead of just reading over 50 and figuring out that town wouldn't ever play the way he's playing.

A whole bunch of people are voting for me without questioning the fact that no one has bothered casing me, and right now I'm basically just hoping that people see through it.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

I'm pretty sure my vote is still -on- MMT because even if we're miscuddling a townie at this point (not that I think we are, but I've entertained the thought I'm wrong) the information we get from it is invaluable to tracking down the remaining scum.

What would my flipping town tell you exactly?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Bifauxnen posted:

Well yeah, they managed to pull off the kill... but even if they had a strongman, what if Quid was watched? Or what if they got blocked some other way? Relying on night actions leaves a lot up to chance. Lunching Quid during the day is a sure-fire kill in comparison.

Also just want to put it out there: I think this was Bif breadcrumbing that she watched Quid N1 (which makes sense) but didn't see anyone. That would imply the existence of a scum ninja.

What's a good way to fake scum ninja?

I NOT KNOW THAT BECAUSE I HAVE NO NIGHT MOVE TO BLOCK

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

And yes I know that arguably the same logic could make me the ninja but at least my claim is testable. 50 picked something that no one can prove is real.

Like can people give me a "yes, you have a point" or a "no, I disagree with what you're saying" here? Because I feel like the things I'm saying are going completely ignored and it's kind of driving me nuts

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

I still consider 50 town as - when prompted - he has given information that has made figuring out things slightly more useful

When exactly?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

As Bifauxnen's mason partner, I'm pretty sure she would have mentioned something to either me or the thread if she had watched Quidthulhu the night that he died and yet saw no one.

That's pretty important info to share with people.

So you're saying she just didn't mention to you at all that she watched someone N1?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Monathin posted:

Actually I know I just said I think Sal was being wrong town but the more I think about it the less I like it.

Hey, MMT, you're Sal's mason partner, right? I'm giving you benefit of the doubt here, does his combined Gulag + Prince case make any sense to you at all?

Hah I just commented about this in the chat.

I think the Gulag case makes sense (and I fully believe that Sal is being genuine) and it's a bit tough to not be biased by Gulag trying to push a mislynch on me. But the two main things that are holding me back are (a) the way that you describe how he acted in the chat regarding his bodyguard ability and (b) the fact that I feel pretty confident about 50.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

Correct. I never knew she had an ability until she flipped. I thought it had been "locked away" by her amnesia. I may be wrong on that score - it might just be her alignment that was locked away.

Bif wouldn't just let herself die with results, not in a million years.

I'm reasonably sure that her post about Quid being watched was a breadcrumb that she watched him. Like think about it - why wouldn't she have watched Quid given that he claimed cop?

I don't see why people think it's so so crazy for me to surmise that there's a scum ninja given how many powers town has this game.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

OBVIOUS GOOD ONE

---

BERZERKER OBVIOUSLY GOOD ONE

I love that 50 somehow takes "I was lying, multiple times, trying to get people to share their role info in the thread" and turns that into him being obviously town.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

WHY BAD?

NOT MAKE SENSE WHY TRYING GET BAD BLOCKER SHOW SELF BE BAD

THINK ABOUT

BERZERKER TRY MAKE SOUND LIKE PROTECTOR D1

BERZERKER OBVIOUSLY WANT PROTECT LITTLE GIRL

BAD ONES BLOCK BERZERKER AND KILL GIRL MAKE SENSE

Also think about it: scum saw right through this and didn't worry about it at all.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Because Quid ended up dead and Prince targetted Juch instead of you?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Prince of Space posted:

The town's win has been "stolen" by KhediveRex, however, in the sense that he is going to be removing a powerful town ability from play (mine). :sadwave:

How does someone say this after blocking a tracker N2 and a bodyguard (who targetted the NK victim) N3?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SHE DO KNOW WHO YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT

SHE BAD ONE

I'm just saying that Prince is being disingenuous by implying that the loss of his role would be some crippling blow to town.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I successfully hid last night.

Natural 20 posted:

Anomalous Amalgam, Town Aligned, Shirou Emiya (Trace), was murdered!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

You think I would give up B-, the scum godfather for cred???

Chic had some moves, she did her things, now I'm just BP unless scum already tried to nuke me.

So unless someone has a better explanation, scum must have a juggernaut.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

hm. my guard on mona failed last night. for some reason.

Was it a flash of light?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

no flavor attached

Hmm.

I'm curious to hear what everyone did last night because my gut reaction to that is that it doesn't make any sense - everyone who's had an ability stopped has had the dueling (Tobbs) or light (Prince) flavor with it. At the same time, lying about something like that makes just as little sense to me.

Everyone should claim today. Sal (who hasn't been in the chat since the day opened) should go last to potentially weed out a liar.

All I did last night was hide.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also just for the sake of full disclosure I'm going to sleep soon so probably won't be around much until early morning tomorrow.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

hm. my guard on mona failed last night. for some reason.

---

i mean. we had two town roleblockers. they flipped as such. what are you getting at?

My issue with it is that everyone who has claimed a roleblock has mentioned flavor, and we've gone 4 game days without anyone else claiming a no-flavor one.

Even if scum has a roleblocker - why would they block you (who said you can only target servants) and kill AA? Like what would even be the point of that?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

GulagDolls posted:

i think im ready to vote because we are just all focusing on different dumb poo poo now. some of it dumber than others.

I agree. Godspeed, scum ##vote Gulag

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I’m out playing poker for awhile but will have a bunch to say later.

Sal, I’m really sorry. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

After this we also had a really personal discussion that I'm not going to bother copy and pasting. We also discussed a mutual love for the TV show Survivor. MMT in the future if you are in this situation, please do not engage in such a personal level of discussion because gently caress this was the thing I was most upset about. Given that we both had sworn oaths to each other I was prepared to go through hell to win with her.

---

MMT I've appreciated the 6 weeks we've spent together through Shine and this game. I genuinely hope you get that job in Colorado. I'm very loving heart broken right now, but much like not getting my job I'm only going to allow it to hurt for 5 seconds, then I'm going to suck it up and go on with my life. This game was very educational for me, but ultimately wasn't very fun, also I in no way think what MMT did was gaslighting or abusive, but I do fully agree that this level of communication with another person can lead to hosed things happening.

I'm doing my best to take this all in.

I've been playing forums games for years now, and sadly you're not the first person whose feelings have been legitimately hurt by the way I approach lying in games like this. It's never an easy thing to read. I know that even though these are just silly internet games played with relative strangers over the internet, they can generate real and valid emotional responses. Finding out that someone you put a lot of trust in had been lying to you is an awful experience, and for what it's worth I have a lot of respect for your willingness to share how it felt.

I want to share my perspective here - not as a means to rationalize bad behavior, but strictly out of a sense of seeing someone in pain and wanting to help them.

When it came to lying about game stuff - that was just unfortunately part of the gig. When you're scum, you already know who the scum is, so almost anything game-related that you say is going to be dishonest. Little things, like pretending to be suspicious of you, or focusing on innocuous things that 50 or Prince or Gulag did and trying to make them suspicious, is pretty much what scum has to do.

It's hard. In the real world, I don't lie to people. I value honest and open communication really highly, and so when I'm put in the position of having to lie about stuff, I clam up. Generally speaking, when I'm scum in Mafia my whole goal is to try and go undetected. I can usually make believable fake-cases, but if I'm stuck in a position where I have to fake-claim or I'm caught by a cop, I almost always just implode because I find it really stressful to outright lie about something.

Also in the real world, I do my best to make friends with people. I promise you, none of the time in the chat where I was talking about Survivor or my real-life or asking about yours was meant in a strategic way! That was me compartmentalizing. Since lying is stressful and getting to know other people is fun to me, in my mind I was using non-game stuff as a way to be able to converse with you honestly and get to know you in the process. All of the Mafia advice I was giving at the beginning of the thread (such as :justpost:ing) was legitimate advice that I was giving you because I thought it would help.

But at some point, the line between in-game trust and out-of-game trust got blurred. Like during the "swear on our significant others" conversation, I had like one minute of thinking I was just doing what I had to do to win, but then couldn't stop thinking "why the gently caress did I just say that?" to myself. It wasn't necessary and I regret it. And then once the degree that you trusted me became clear, I knew I had gone too far but didn't know what to do at that point.

I don't want to minimize your pain here, because it's valid. But as time passes and you reflect on the game, I hope that some of these thoughts will help:

- I promise you that everyone goes through a game where they mess it up for town, and we all empathize. If you keep playing Mafia you'll see other newbies do it and you'll empathize with them too.
- That said, it's a mistake that people usually only make once or twice, because it instills that paranoia in them when they're town which makes it easier to figure out who is acting suspiciously.
- You're well-liked amongst the Mafia scene, and I feel reasonably certain that most people here hope you stick around. I definitely do. :glomp:

OK i gotta run but one more time - I'm really sorry for my role in how this game made you feel.

• Locked thread