Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Cygni posted:

They are all purpose built silhouette racecars on a BOP budget, and only 1 of them is new this year. If they aren’t equal, it’s a BOP problem.

The Ford program upped the bar in GTLM for sure, and it’s design was far more progressive than the rest of the field was ready for (plus they played the sandbag game perfectly at launch), but the 488, new 911, and M8 are all playing the same game now. None of them really have anything to do with the street version.

The 488 GTE isn’t quite that divorced from the road car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

drgitlin posted:

The 488 GTE isn’t quite that divorced from the road car.

From what I've been told, neither is the GT. But both are also true supercars, instead of GT cars.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Alonso confirmed for Toyota and "other select WEC events".

Guess that confirms a Toyota DNF

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He's basically in every WEC race that doesn't clash with an F1 weekend. Time to see how strong the Alonso curse is.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Rebellion or whoever is going to get the overall win needs to hire Stroll so I can kill myself.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

njsykora posted:

He's basically in every WEC race that doesn't clash with an F1 weekend. Time to see how strong the Alonso curse is.

It's just so sad because he looks and acts like he loving LOVES life and driving, everywhere but F1. Even when poo poo fails he's still excited and happy.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The #8 Toyota won five races last season, and will be a squad of drivers who all have Formula 1 experience -- Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi as teammates, and Ant Davidson still as reserve driver for when Alonso can't run.

...that #8 car is going to retire from Le Mans in the most heartbreaking way, isn't it :smith:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

The #8 Toyota won five races last season, and will be a squad of drivers who all have Formula 1 experience -- Kazuki Nakajima and Sebastien Buemi as teammates, and Ant Davidson still as reserve driver for when Alonso can't run.

...that #8 car is going to retire from Le Mans in the most heartbreaking way, isn't it :smith:

Big Kamui Kobayashi is going to win Le Mans in the #7 car and set another fastest lap record

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Schlesische posted:

The Delta Integrale existed in a magical time before Balance of Performance.

BoP is made to be broken

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

BoP is made to be broken

I'm surprised nobody has cut Michelin a bigger check followed Aston Martin down the route of having a tire supplier purely for their LM-GTE team, because with BoP on the cars, engines, weight, etc., but in a class with something of an allowed "tire war," there has to be some gains to be found from pushing the boundaries. Unless there's rules about supplying only one compound for the whole year. But still, there has to be some kind of loophole that allows for some real sticky rubber for Le Mans qualifying.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
A guy in the midweek motorsport group on Facebook did some analysis of the fords and Corvettes, and the corvettes actually had a faster average laptime than the fords, when they were on track. Corvettes spent quite a bit more time in the pits. IIRC one of them changed front brakes twice, once during the fcy near 16h to go, and then once again during green flag running near 8h to go, which kinda killed their chances. Ford has a car that is purpose built for efficient running at high speed tracks like Daytona and Le Mans, so it had to stop less while still maintaining pace.

I still think what they did in 2016 was bullshit by sandbagging and bringing out a waiver special before any road cars were even delivered, but the former is on the ACO for not catching it, and the latter is on the other makes for not barring the waiver. I think the same can be said of the BMW, you can't buy any 8-series yet, let alone the M8. We're just less butthurt about it because it's not competitive yet.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New Formula e chassis

http://www.racer.com/formula-e/item/147101-formula-e-fia-unveil-images-of-gen2-car

uh, ok.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It looks cool as poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like garbage.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Crossposting from the F1 thread: it's the worst race car I've ever seen.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

It looks better than current F1 cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Eyud posted:

It looks better than current F1 cars.

No, it doesn't. The 2017 F1 cars are among the most attractive in the last 2 decades.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

It looks cool as poo poo.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The 2017 F1 cars are among the most attractive F1 cars in the last 2 decades, sure.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wicka posted:

Crossposting from the F1 thread: it's the worst race car I've ever seen.

this confirms that the new formula e car owns

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

I'm surprised nobody has cut Michelin a bigger check followed Aston Martin down the route of having a tire supplier purely for their LM-GTE team, because with BoP on the cars, engines, weight, etc., but in a class with something of an allowed "tire war," there has to be some gains to be found from pushing the boundaries. Unless there's rules about supplying only one compound for the whole year. But still, there has to be some kind of loophole that allows for some real sticky rubber for Le Mans qualifying.

I recall ages ago listening to Dave Richards extolling the great benefits of BoP because he didn't have to do anything to his cars, he was bragging that he was telling engineers not to bother adding anything because it was a waste of cash. In retrospect that seemed so loving naive and short sighted.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its funny cause im pretty sure the cars would be faster at some of their rinky-dink tracks without the body work

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
No, they wouldn’t. There’s a great feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about Formula E aerodynamics. The cars are actually very low drag.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

drgitlin posted:

No, they wouldn’t. There’s a great feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about Formula E aerodynamics. The cars are actually very low drag.

Right. The car is all about function first, then form second. Like the Delta Wing, only less ambiguously gay.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Right. The car is all about function first, then form second. Like the Delta Wing, only less ambiguously gay.

There's no way you can look at that full size Hot Wheels car and say that with a straight face.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Compared with most other open wheel cars it’s easy to see that because the wheels are covered

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 16 days!)

that halo looks loving stupid

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I have to go through my shots to see if I actually took anything good. I was walking to go get breakfast when that happened, lucky timing.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

i was talking weight not drag but ok. im not sure drag matters much when you are going 30mph around a 1-lane chicane

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

There's no way you can look at that full size Hot Wheels car

Why is that a bad thing?!?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Why is that a bad thing?!?

Because it's childish and awful? It's the car version of scaling up a Barbie to human size, just an absolute nightmare.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Me and Wicka are in alignment on this which means you're definitely wrong.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

1500quidporsche posted:

Me and Wicka are in alignment on this which means you're definitely wrong.

Or it is the case you are both horribly bad posters and therefore any opinion from you two jerks can be politely ignored.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

You Am I posted:

Or it is the case you are both horribly bad posters and therefore any opinion from you two jerks can be politely ignored.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I have to go through my shots to see if I actually took anything good. I was walking to go get breakfast when that happened, lucky timing.

mazdafandom.jpg

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

Or it could possibly be that it actually looks bad and is made even worse by the fact that it was almost certainly dreamed up by a marketing team and then warmed over by some aero graduates.

If you want an actual legitimate low drag open wheel concept then look to Formula Vee which also runs on low power with skinny street tires. This thing is so self indulgence it looks ridiculous.

Or you can just wholesale write off two posters who more often than not sit on the opposite side of any issue but can still talk to eachother respectfully lol.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Or it could possibly be that it actually looks bad and is made even worse by the fact that it was almost certainly dreamed up by a marketing team and then warmed over by some aero graduates.

If you want an actual legitimate low drag open wheel concept then look to Formula Vee which also runs on low power with skinny street tires. This thing is so self indulgence it looks ridiculous.

Or you can just wholesale write off two posters who more often than not sit on the opposite side of any issue but can still talk to eachother respectfully lol.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it doesn't really look like, "bad" imo, it's just fake. it's contrived.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

'hey guys can you take the incredibly cool allard j2x and instead make it look like a lovely try-hard happy meal toy that even kids dont like'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

'hey guys can you take the incredibly cool allard j2x and instead make it look like a lovely try-hard happy meal toy that even kids dont like'

I was thinking Frisbee GR2 or 3 myself