Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkwgzDv0Gew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The race after the red flag was awesome. I'm glad that Rene Rast is okay, but the super short sprint race (with one mandatory pitstop) that followed was really good racing, especially since DTM got rid of those stupid performance weights.

I'm always amazed at how safe the DTM cars are, then again, they are basically like LMP2 cars with the engine in front and a silouette over the whole thing.

I mean, couple of years ago this would have resultet in a driver that would have either been knocked out for a couple of races with broken legs OR in a driver without the same amount of legs he was born with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwvyoZRs2s

What actually happened is that he (Rockenfeller) missed one race and actually won the next race he was in, where he had to break and accelerate with the same foot, because his broken one wasn't able to do anything else than operating the clutch at start. First driver on the podium in crutches????

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3MEA5G1zzY

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WEC making drat sure only Toyota can stop Toyota winning Le Mans by nerfing the privateers again for test day.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Jesus gently caress, ACO.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2 cars didnt start because their funders assets are frozen, one cars electronics turned off in the middle of eau rouge and mangled a driver, one had a blow over, and the Toyotas waltzed to a 1-2 with a 2 lap lead while not even trying...

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cygni posted:

2 cars didnt start because their funders assets are frozen, one cars electronics turned off in the middle of eau rouge and mangled a driver, one had a blow over, and the Toyotas waltzed to a 1-2 with a 2 lap lead while not even trying...

And Toyota also hosed up Petit Le Mans.

gently caress Toyota and the aco. I hope the cars burn down at 23:30 and they lose by 5+ laps, while sad old Toyota man cries himself to sleep.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Alonso is going to become champion in the most shammiest of ways

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's a lot at stake. Imagine they gently caress this up. I can't. But I am sure it's possible.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

And Toyota also hosed up Petit Le Mans.

gently caress Toyota and the aco. I hope the cars burn down at 23:30 and they lose by 5+ laps, while sad old Toyota man cries himself to sleep.

Did they announce the driver list for Petit Le Mans yet? I know that there was substantial conflict all up and down the driver list because a lot of the pro drivers are WEC drivers as well, and with a WEC race on the same weekend, they're going to obviously pick the one with the bigger international coverage.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

orange juche posted:

Did they announce the driver list for Petit Le Mans yet? I know that there was substantial conflict all up and down the driver list because a lot of the pro drivers are WEC drivers as well, and with a WEC race on the same weekend, they're going to obviously pick the one with the bigger international coverage.

Probably won't know until September for which series they pick that weekend depending on if they can win the IMSA championship.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

they're going to obviously pick the one their contracts state takes priority.

Fixed that for ya.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Not much in the way of sportscars this week, just PWC at Lime Rock, but there's a bunch of other stuff happening that I might watch:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"F1 Parade" :allears:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The best race on the same day as the worst race often produces some really fun articles on Monday about why Monaco is actually important and not just a shitpile of a track F1 only still goes to because all the drivers live there for tax reasons. Sportscars at Lime Rock is always a good time though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Monaco is occasionally very good and it's one of the most iconic venues in all of motorsport, who cares if it's usually boring when most F1 races are usually boring.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Monaco is occasionally very good and it's one of the most iconic venues in all of motorsport, who cares if it's usually boring when most F1 races are usually boring.

Monaco is good for qualifying, more than any other race, if you ask me. The actual racing part is meh.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

Monaco is good for qualifying, more than any other race, if you ask me. The actual racing part is meh.

I will almost always watch F1 qualifying, and only occasionally watch the race. They're amazing hot lapping cars.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
F1 is basically time attack.

Hilarious fun to watch balls to the wall one at a time, but no one wants to see that poo poo wheel to wheel.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

For me, the usually bad racing is compounded by the fact that circuit itself is very slow. I dislike the Hungaroring for the same reasons although it actually produces pretty good races despite it's nature.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Even if its slow the scenery makes everything cooler and more exciting. I'm a Hungarian myself but I'm not crazy about the Hungaroring because of that fact, its like you took Monaco and plopped it in a grass field.

It does make for some good races once in awhile though.

Monaco is a really cool track to watch cars go around even if the racing isn't super exciting, and sometimes people bin it into the walls in exciting ways. I guess its the NASCAR of F1. :cheeky:

iwentdoodie posted:

F1 is basically time attack.

Hilarious fun to watch balls to the wall one at a time, but no one wants to see that poo poo wheel to wheel.

Hopefully aero changes will reduce this but currently its very true.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I mostly wanna see how much tread sloughs off of the Charmin(R) Brand Hypersofts in quali

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Formula One Monaco is only good when it rains and the race becomes a total clusterfuck.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Formula One Monaco is only good when it rains and the race becomes a total clusterfuck.

1997 was remarkable, even with Schumacher essentially lapping the field.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah there was a reason they called him the rainmaster, look up Spain 1996 for another example of it pissing down rain and Schumacher stomping over everyone

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

harperdc posted:

1997 was remarkable, even with Schumacher essentially lapping the field.

1996 and 1997 Monaco are the best

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If anyone has questions for Roger Penske or Art St Cyr about the DPi program, post them in this thread and I’ll see about asking them at Belle Isle in a couple of weeks.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

If anyone has questions for Roger Penske or Art St Cyr about the DPi program, post them in this thread and I’ll see about asking them at Belle Isle in a couple of weeks.

How does IMSA in 2018 - as a competitive series and as a way to reach an audience - compare with when each was involved last when it was the ALMS in the mid-2000s? I know Art and Honda had a small hand in the early part of new IMSA with the Shank team, but interested in how it’s developed. And how many jokes and references have been made to that Porsche vs Acura era and the competition between their sides at that time?

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

drgitlin posted:

Why is your car so loving ugly

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

drgitlin posted:

Do they think DPi and LMP2 should be vying for seperate titles? How do they feel about the ACO/WEC rescheduling a race in the same weekend as Petit simply to accomadate one driver?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Kris Meeke has been sacked from the Citroen rally team for crashing too much. That’s the actual reason.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

julian assflange posted:

Kris Meeke has been sacked from the Citroen rally team for crashing too much. That’s the actual reason.

Hahaha I thought you were being flippant but its real. They really said that.

Sucks to be Paul Nagle.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm astonished it took this long.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://jalopnik.com/world-rally-championship-driver-kris-meeke-fired-for-cr-1826300890

quote:

It’s unusual for a team to fire a driver and codriver pair this abruptly and to be this blunt about the reason they’re letting them go.

:drat:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
That's a drat shame. He wasn't very good, but he was a real character behind the wheel. That leaves a rather weak driver lineup for Citroen. Although I like both Mads and Craig, they aren't really challenging for wins most of the time. Craig will be the only full time driver that hasn't won a rally and Mads only won in Portugal all the way back in 2012 after Hirvonen ahead of him was disqualified on a technicality. I guess Loeb and the Saudi prince will pop in whenever they feel like it as usual.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Not surprising.

Citroen probably thinking this guy is going to loving kill himself and it drat well isn't going to be in one of our cars.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
SPM in IndyCar just fired Leena Gade, so it looks like she'll be a free agent just in time for WEC teams preparing for Le Mans

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
IndyCar, the poverty series that no one watches, doesn't deserve someone of her calibre.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SRO has bought World Challenge on their quest to own GT3/GT4 worldwide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Blocked in north america, but for the rest of us: British GT from Snetterton.

Race one replay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4v8TonAjiQ

Race two from 3.30pm BST (2.30pm UTC)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUnpj4xFRDk