Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Basticle posted:

I would very much appreciate if the OP could give a bit of an overview and explanation of different sports car series and different classes since even as a casual fan I find it all awfully confusing sometimes.

Here's the different classes:
LMP bad
DP good
GTD bad
GTLM Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

quote:

Interest in IMSA’s DPi platform is building, with as many as three new manufacturers in line to join the top class of the WeatherTech SportsCar Championship by as early as 2020.

Multiple industry sources have indicated to Sportscar365 that Ford and Hyundai have continued DPi discussions, while an undisclosed Japanese manufacturer has emerged as another automaker facing imminent deadlines to commit to the platform.
IMSA could see a fourth Japanese manufacturer join the grid next year, with the undisclosed medium-volume automaker having recently completed design and feasibility studies with an LMP2 constructor.
https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/dpi-manufacturer-interest-building-for-2020/

Undisclosed medium volume Japanese manufacturer... Subaru? Mitsubishi?? Suzuki???

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

net work error posted:

Undisclosed medium volume Japanese manufacturer... Subaru? Mitsubishi?? Suzuki???

Unless Dagys is calling Lexus medium volume then Subaru would make most sense. Also wonder which ones P2 cars they're looking at. Ford would be the Riley chassis that Mazda is using due to their alliance with Multimatic. Hyundai and the other Japanese manufacturer I could see Oreca or Ligier, more so Oreca since they don't have much cars going for those in DPi where Dallara seems all in on Cadillac.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Given Subaru's experience in Super GT when it works it'll be very good but will be broken otherwise.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^ the Subaru team is also like an engineering skunk works group, they’re using a further development of the old WRC engine. Doing DPi, the chassis would be known, aero changes are limited, and the tires are spec. They’d have to work on the engine/packaging and shocks, and a good racing team can help the latter.

net work error posted:

Subaru. Mitsubishi makes no sense (Nissan wants them to focus on places they’re weak for global markets), Mazda and Honda (through Acura) are already involved, Toyota/Lexus isn’t mid-sized and already said no, Nissan won’t get more involved, and any other brand makes zero sense. Suzuki doesn’t even sell cars in the US.

So, Subaru. Would be interesting if they brought the flat four turbo to play. Would certainly sound good.

harperdc fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 9, 2019

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BMB5150 posted:

Unless Dagys is calling Lexus medium volume then Subaru would make most sense. Also wonder which ones P2 cars they're looking at. Ford would be the Riley chassis that Mazda is using due to their alliance with Multimatic. Hyundai and the other Japanese manufacturer I could see Oreca or Ligier, more so Oreca since they don't have much cars going for those in DPi where Dallara seems all in on Cadillac.

FWIW Riley has absolutely no involvement whatsoever with the Mazda DPi program now.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
^^ It's still technically called a Riley-Multimatic though

I can't bring myself to believe Subaru would spend the money on motorsports in the US again. It sure as hell feels like they've nearly given up on marketing their brand here to anybody who appreciates performance or even has a measurable pulse

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Suzuki thing was a joke. At this point I think they pretty much just sell kei cars.

an oddly awful oud posted:

I can't bring myself to believe Subaru would spend the money on motorsports in the US again. It sure as hell feels like they've nearly given up on marketing their brand here to anybody who appreciates performance or even has a measurable pulse

They're still pretty big on motorsports in Japan with Super GT and the All Japan Rally. In the US they're in the ARA and WRX but that should barely count since they're pretty much the only manufacturer in ARA.
Anyways their marketing wouldn't tell you anything about any of those things. Their Japanese marketing has a pretty similar style to the American ones where it's presented as an outdoor and family brand.

Anyways, being a Subaru owner I'm aware of the bad things about their engines so I always get spooked whenever I see them in a motorsport context.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
*charges into the room* DID SOMEBODY SAY SUBARU?

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

*charges into the room* DID SOMEBODY SAY SUBARU?

Did it get foggy in here all of a sudden?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

net work error posted:

The Suzuki thing was a joke. At this point I think they pretty much just sell kei cars.

Nah, there’s a new Swift and other small cars still too, and they sell in Europe.

And I would imagine the reason Subaru would be more interested in this is because it’s relatively cheap and could look a bit like the BRZ.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

harperdc posted:

Nah, there’s a new Swift and other small cars still too, and they sell in Europe.

And I would imagine the reason Subaru would be more interested in this is because it’s relatively cheap and could look a bit like the BRZ.

The BRZ's sales are a rounding error, I just don't see how this fits into marketing to their current target demographic of "people who decide to spend $28k on a car based on a commercial they saw on ABC with dogs acting like humans" and "people who reflexively tap the brakes while driving on a 2-lane road when another car comes the other way" unless they're about to make a big change

Even more the shame that they'd decide to do this right as they're phasing out the old 3.6, as they'd have an excuse to do an awesome flat six DPi

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I mean Subaru has more performance cars on sale than Acura. And the same number as Nissan.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The BRZ's sales are a rounding error, I just don't see how this fits into marketing to their current target demographic of "people who decide to spend $28k on a car based on a commercial they saw on ABC with dogs acting like humans" and "people who reflexively tap the brakes while driving on a 2-lane road when another car comes the other way" unless they're about to make a big change

Even more the shame that they'd decide to do this right as they're phasing out the old 3.6, as they'd have an excuse to do an awesome flat six DPi

I used the BRZ instead of another model because I can’t see them using Impreza or Outback styling cues on the DPi kit, I’m sure it would be more Subaru than BRZ or WRX.

And if it’s done in collaboration with Japan, they already have a proven engine they’ve used in Super GT for a long time right there that they can use. Subaru doesn’t have a GT3 engine they can bolt in (Nissan), a race engine they want to use (Mazda, Honda) or a gently caress-ton or small block rat motors (Caddy) but the GT300 Super GT engine should be durable enough and hopefully not too wide to stick in the back of a P2 chassis.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Cygni posted:

I mean Subaru has more performance cars on sale than Acura. And the same number as Nissan.

True but Acura seems to actually be pivoting back to a sporty, performance image with their new marketing. They're actually trying to sell the new RDX by invoking the original NSX and Integra Type-R in commercials. And they're also advertising the new NSX pretty heavily. It's really quite silly but Acura's been languishing for years now and this seems to be their strategy for the time being to get people thinking and talking about them again, and a DPi program with one of the biggest names in American motorsports is right in line with that. Subaru on the other hand is vacuuming up US market share with their current marketing and vehicle offerings, so it seems a little weird to suddenly want to spend millions on a motorsports program for the sake of exposure for a nearly-afterthought sports coupe that's reaching the end of its life cycle very soon, or thinking that it will somehow bring the motorsport halo to a bunch of wallowy, extremely underpowered crossovers that are already selling fantastically anyway

And I don't think you can use Nissan as a counterexample, as their involvement doesn't make much sense either but they're also putting almost no effort or money into it

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Yeah Nissan is basically entirely uninvolved other than a GT3 engine deal with Nismo

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Carps Ghosn being in prison means I doubt any new racing programs are on the cards.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

True but Acura seems to actually be pivoting back to a sporty, performance image with their new marketing. They're actually trying to sell the new RDX by invoking the original NSX and Integra Type-R in commercials. And they're also advertising the new NSX pretty heavily. It's really quite silly but Acura's been languishing for years now and this seems to be their strategy for the time being to get people thinking and talking about them again, and a DPi program with one of the biggest names in American motorsports is right in line with that. Subaru on the other hand is vacuuming up US market share with their current marketing and vehicle offerings, so it seems a little weird to suddenly want to spend millions on a motorsports program for the sake of exposure for a nearly-afterthought sports coupe that's reaching the end of its life cycle very soon, or thinking that it will somehow bring the motorsport halo to a bunch of wallowy, extremely underpowered crossovers that are already selling fantastically anyway

And I don't think you can use Nissan as a counterexample, as their involvement doesn't make much sense either but they're also putting almost no effort or money into it

Sure I get that, i was more just pointing out that racing programs aren't really a rational expenditure in the first place. Like Ford advertising a car that hasn't actually been for sale for years. For the record, I highly doubt Subaru would make a DPi team, just based on their general lack of motorsports interest stateside (but it would definitely be cool if it happened)

If anyone fits the bill to me lately, its Hyundai through their Genesis brand.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
They’ve flat-out denied it when I’ve asked in the past but I agree, Genesis going racing makes sense.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Carps Ghosn being in prison means I doubt any new racing programs are on the cards.

They got rid of a bunch of their Blancpain-based factory drivers and support for GT3 teams, apparently they're even running the lightest budget in Super GT (which is engineering not marketing cash). All non-Japan eggs in Formula E, for better or worse. So they're unlikely to ramp anything up in the next year or so.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

How about a new GTE entrant for Lemans/WEC in 2021... that we probably won't ever see if we are honest.

https://racer.com/2019/01/09/brabham-announces-2021-gte-effort/

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Cygni posted:

How about a new GTE entrant for Lemans/WEC in 2021... that we probably won't ever see if we are honest.

https://racer.com/2019/01/09/brabham-announces-2021-gte-effort/

Don't often see a team step down from an imaginary P2 program to an imaginary GTE program.

Hopfully this one actually turns a wheel.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Xisticide posted:

Don't often see a team step down from an imaginary P2 program to an imaginary GTE program.

Hopfully this one actually turns a wheel.

Well, the super car has, so.

Surprised honestly they’ve gone GTE and not the Hypercar prototype rules, didn’t realize their insane track toy was competition for the Porsche 911 too but :v:

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Well neither is the M8 but here we are

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I have a decent OP/part of an OP answering the question about sports car racing written up. Are we ready to move, thread?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So its possible for Ferrari to enter the WEC? I read that they were present in the discussion of the new regulations. Or they are bluffing a la red bull?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

So its possible for Ferrari to enter the WEC? I read that they were present in the discussion of the new regulations. Or they are bluffing a la red bull?

The short answer: Nobody knows yet, and those who have aren't saying yet.

The longer answer: The WEC is changing the top prototype rules in two years, from the 2020-2021 season forward. A lot of companies were involved in trying to decide the new rules that were announced in October, but so far only one team (Glickenhaus) has announced it's making a car to the rules. It's taken as gospel that Toyota is going to continue and make a car too; Aston Martin (with or without Red Bull) has also been strongly suggested.

It was reported before Christmas that Ferrari was also interested.

Daily Sports Car posted:

Ferrari is one of a number of high profile manufacturers ready to commit to the next ‘Hypercar’ regulations set to replace the current LMP1 from the 2020/2021 FIA WEC season.

Multiple industry sources have confirmed to DSC that the Italian supercar maker, which took part throughout the development process in the Technical Working Groups to develop the regulations, is actively evaluating a programme for the second season of the regulations: 2021/2022. The marque is understood to be awaiting the final technical regulations to determine whether the budgets it requires to meet its commercial objectives will be achievable.

Why? Well, as above, it may fit Ferrari's commercial desires. And if Formula 1 introduces stricter budget/team restrictions, well, there's at least one columnist who's suggested WEC programs as a home to keep the built up infrastructure busy if they're not allowed to work on Formula 1 projects...

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The budget cap in formula 1 is a really difficult. The teams dont want it so i dont know how its going to work.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DoctorGonzo posted:

The budget cap in formula 1 is a really difficult. The teams dont want it so i dont know how its going to work.

They don't want it but need it unless we want another recession manufacturer exodus

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Wondered about this when they turned up to the Roar in all white.

https://twitter.com/FordPerformance/status/1083393101148893184

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Castrol liveries :gizz:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

mactheknife posted:

oh my god

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

for entirely biased reasons i loving love this one too

https://twitter.com/Acura/status/1083408132452372481

https://racer.com/2019/01/10/acura-taps-comptech-history-for-2019-arx-05-dpi-liveries/

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 10, 2019

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh gently caress yes a Comptech style retro scheme is Real Good.

Also a fan of the Motorcraft GT, too.

[edit] one of the Mazdas ran at the Roar in black, too, surely that is just begging for a throwback scheme of some kind too.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I've heard they're both going to be in the darker soul red, but a throwback to the 1991 RX-7 GTO would be rad

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

Stick with the Soul Red so that when they dominate IMSA this year, it'll become an iconic livery itself for future throwbacks to wear

I don't actually believe this, but man do I want to believe it

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

mactheknife posted:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://www.24hseries.com/2019/24h-dubai-2019/live
24h Dubai

Race is live, 16 hours left as of this post.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Paul Tracy will be racing in the 12H Bathurst next month, in a MARC cars Mustang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

harperdc posted:

I have a decent OP/part of an OP answering the question about sports car racing written up. Are we ready to move, thread?

I'd say go for it. Do dig the Acura and Ford GT's