Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Peanut President posted:

Who watches car racing on tv???

I was at Daytona this time last year and am having to settle for watching on TV this time around.

It is.... unsatisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I uh, huh:

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148450-tvr-commits-to-lmp1-presence-for-super-season

Did not see that coming, although I've apparently missed their chairman talking about it for ages.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Has anyone else had a problem subscribing to the WEC streaming this year? I just bought the season pack through the Android app but my account doesn't seem to have updated.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Nope, and it turns out I had to logout and back into the app, hit 'Restore' when it prompted me to buy the sub again and I'm good to go. :toot:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Two sportscar things have made me exclaim Holy gently caress out loud today.

The first is finally seeing onboard footage of the 919 Tribute lapping Spa: http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/08/video-onboard-of-janis-record-breaking-spa-lap.html

The second is the state of Fittipaldi's car after his crash:

The nose itself looks remarkably intact, but she's snapped through the A-pillar. :catstare:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Stand down everyone, just learnt this morning they had to cut him out.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The full Le Mans entry list is out: http://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2018/24-heures-du-mans/entry-list-24-heures-du-mans-2018.pdf

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/17/final-le-mans-entry-test-entry-revealed.html

Both Ginettas and all three BR1 cars are confirmed, with the cause of the flip at Spa "known and understood".

Much more concerningly for everyone involved, Tracy Krohn has a ride in an LMP2 Ligier. Given the trouble he had keeping a previous-gen LMP2 out of the gravel I'm sure he will provide even more excitement this time around.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
A bunch of fellow Brits and I are looking at going to Sebring next year. Does anybody have tips for accommodation at the circuit? Are we best off renting an RV or something, or trying to buy a tent once we get there?

I have been the Sebring before, but stayed down towards Lake Placid. I'd rather stay on circuit this time so I can get my drink on. :toot:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
The Bentley sounds like a loud wet shart and I don't understand how anybody finds it aurally pleasant. :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

net work error posted:

Got my ticket for Daytona, it'll be my first time going and also my first endurance race and first IMSA race so it should be an exciting time. Anyone ITT gone before and have good tips?

Seconding bring a jacket, I went to both the roar and the 24 in 2017 (with work) and got lucky that I'd brought a coat at all. I would have probably frozen to death at the roar without one.

If you can, take a trip as high into the stands as you can once it's dark and just enjoy the view for a while. As a brit especially I found just the size of the speedway overwhelming.

I'm not sure how garage access works for the public, but absolutely get it if you enjoy looking at cars or seeing mechanics work. Mind your back if you're nosing around somewhere the mechanics are trying to get in and out of. :shobon:

If you're there early enough, do the fun run/walk. I think the run does a full lap but I did the walk because I can't run, and you walk most of the back stretch, through the bus stop and around nascar 3 & 4 and out to the tri-oval. If you're near the front you can clamber up the banking and peer over the wall before the fun police arrive and call you down. It's steep, to the point I was worried about rolling an ankle or tripping and losing all my front teeth trying to get back down.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 5, 2019