Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

e: will prototype cars 2, 22, 23, 32, 52, 54, 85, and 90 please report to the stewards for improper Le Mans Prototype livery colors. Allowable major colors are as follows:
- Red
- White
- Black

LMP2s can be whatever colour they like, it's LMP1 that has to be red, white, grey or black :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Peanut President posted:

people should watch drag racing

I've watched drag racing. It's boring. I'm not interested.
I also don't like ovals. Correlation?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Now if only Aston would do GTLM and Corvette would do a full season GTE effort :allears:

There's a joke here I'm missing.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Not so much a joke as explained, it would just be awesome if all the GTE factories were committed to full-season campaigns in both IMSA and the WEC.

If you're Aston Martin it probably doesn't make sense to burn even more money on races only die hards will ever watch.
I absolutely don't understand why Corvette doesn't do IMSA.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

TY for clarifying.

I get the distinct impression that Aston are in LMGTE in WEC for two reasons:
1) Le Mans
2) They get to parade around in Abu Dhabi and act like a real racing team for all the rich sheikhs.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jan 25, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

SpitztheGreat posted:

Is this the right thread for 24 hours at Daytona? What just happened with this "nuclear rule"? A five minute penalty? he broadcasters sound confused.

So one of the Balance of Performance things is to make pitstops take roughly the same amount of time in theory. One of the things they do is a restrictor in the fuel rig that slows the fuelling.
The Audi that got nailed was fuelling too fast.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

Wasn't a nail biter of a race like its been a few times the last few years, but I liked the long green flag runs. Every endurance race these days seems to be plagued with yellows taking like half of the total time, so it was cool to see just a clean green race with actual endurance mattering. Had to survive to win.

I also don't think BoP was as bad as it was even last year. Caddys and Acuras in P, Ford and Ferrari in GTLM, def were a step above, but were talking like 4-tenths. That small difference is magnified when there are no cautions. It's hard to get a read on the Nissans, Mazdas, and BMWs cause they spent most of the race having issues, too.

On the balance of it, realistically Nissan should really have all these problems sorted, the BMWs were *miles* off the pace because they prolly got BoP'd to hell and Mazda managed to overcome the Joest part of the team.

As someone who watched (most of) Le Mans and perused WEC last year, the GTE BoP at Daytona was terribad; the Fords were taking like 4 tenths *a lap* which is a huge advantage in an enduro and the BMWs and (ominously, considering how they consistently they got screwed last year) the Porsches were in dire straits. LMP2/DPI was boring as gently caress, you knew who was going to win after the first Yellow-Green sequence where the Caddies just zoomed away. They're ridiculously too good, and early appearances suggest they're gonna romp away with the championship again.

GTD was the fun race to watch, the BoP seems to have been just about on the money there (even if good Audi didn't win).

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

By long beach I see them being in contention. Those cars were good.

And in GTLM, the Ford's are indeed monsters. Corvette can run with them normally, as can Ferrari. Porsche can suck a gently caress and it made me so happy seeing Pilet and Tandy struggle, and BMW needs to quit loving around and either build a real car or drop. If you BoP everyone down to their level, it's like a super expensive GTD race.

gently caress Ford, they came on in with a purpose built GT racing car (as compared to Corvette, Aston Martin and arguably Porsche and Ferrari), if they get obliterated by the BoPhammer - as they loving should - they've only got themselves to blame. gently caress Porsche too, they swan on in to Le Mans every single loving time like "yeah boize, we back now" and every single loving time Le Mans goes "<notice me Porsche-senpai>".
The Corvette (during last year's Le Mans they were talking about it being a send off for the C7.R and the old A-M Vantage) could sort of run with the Ford when it'd been moderately BoP'd, the Ferrari (which also needs moderate BoP'ing) absolutely can, the old Aston (I'm like 90% sure they're bringing new ones from 2018-on) was either king of the BoP or the baseline.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought coming into a GT/touring car/rally series with a homologation special was supposed to be cool unless we all hate the Delta Integrale now

The Delta Integrale existed in a magical time before Balance of Performance.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

That front quarter view makes the thing look good. The top down view reveals that it looks fat af.

It's not the worst looking car in motorsport, but it looks like it's trying way too hard.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Basticle posted:

But on the other hand, have you considered, gently caress the WEC?

orange juche posted:

Also this. WEC can stuff it up its rear end. I love me the 24 hours of Le Mans, but the rest of the WEC schedule, along with its race series, can eat poo poo.

At the moment, WEC is running real close to losing it's last remaining top tier manufacturer. They're hoping the spike in attention from Nandomania will be enough to maybe convince someone else that it's time to look at jumping in (without having to bend over backwards to accommodate Peugeot's relentless desire to stay rooted in the 80s, when they were actually a good car manufacturer).
When Toyota crashes out of Le Mans again it's gonna backfire and LMP is gonna die the death that's been hanging over it for the last 4 years. I seriously doubt DPI is genuinely attractive to the Euro manufacturers, but I've been wrong at every stage of this stupid "will they won't they" saga so far so let's see if I can go 5/5.

All that was the lead in to this:
Until 2020 when Toyota pulls out and LMP1 is entirely privateer, the ACO and WEC are gonna do what they're gonna do and IMSA is just gonna have to deal. If IMSA doesn't want to move PLM, that's on them but "gently caress WEC" is a real dumb position to take when it's coming from the bastion of "go IMSA!". Ultimately, when Toyota do pull out, Le Mans is sliding back into another dark age where the money going into Endurance racing is gonna crater again, which will flow into the number of people who give a poo poo about Endurance racing again. And that's bad for every racing fan.
But hey, maybe we'll get good WRC again.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

I love Alonso, but he's not worth this on his own. This is going to royally gently caress a lot of teams and drivers, all so Toyota can try to be relevant in a series and class that they basically killed.

I hope his engine dies at hour 23.

Toyota didn't kill LMP1, Volkswagen-Audi killed it.
Toyota's already relevant, they're the only team with a genuine "if nothing goes wrong" chance of winning Le Mans - the only endurance race 90% of the racing fan community cares about.
As I said earlier, to the ACO and the FIA the off chance that Nando in WEC for two seasons might remind someone (say, Peugeot) that Le Mans is worth winning over the cost of WEC is absolutely worth the cost of pissing off a bunch of small fry teams and 2nd tier drivers.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Well, except for things like the Mercedes AMG-GT3s getting a qualifying ECU mode at the Spa 24hrs a couple years ago...leading to all of the pro Mercs getting penalties after qualifying. (GT3 is apparently strict about ECU software homologation, which makes perfect sense in many ways).

Worth noting: This was their first outing with a massive update for the Merc GT3 at Spa and they sandbagged like crazy to avoid getting BoP'd to oblivion.
(I think it was that Spa 24 and not the VLN 24 ?a year later?)

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

Yes but the six cars that made the "shootout" finale of qualifying got their times erased, went to the back of the "shootout" top 20, had five-minute stop-and-holds and it was because their engine timing didn't match homologation of the GT3 model. This wasn't an update thing, it was

kinda cheat-y.

Yeah, I remember watching a... ?Chris Harris? thing on that race where he mentioned the grid was surprised that the Mercs were midway through the pack during practice and that surprised everyone because they were expecting more. Then quali turned around and they locked out 1-6.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It has been [0] days since the last Mazda DPi fire.

something something dumpster fire with wheels something something

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

financially racist posted:

of all the unbelievably dumb decisions we've seen throughout endurance racing over the years, the rotary ban remains hands-down the fuckin dumbest thing they ever did

There was a rotary ban? Under ACO rules?

There was a stupid engine rule (3.5L F1 engines or something equally stupid) that was in place at the time the 787B, but which wasn't going to be strictly enforced until the next year as there weren't enough cars of that spec. As a result of those specific engine regs there was a Rotary ban, but it didn't stick and there's no current rotary ban afaik.

Flipside: rotaries are kinda super garbage in endurance racing.

I'm not aware of an IMSA ban, but I mean IMSA did and does a lot of really dumb poo poo.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Feb 24, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The FIA is the most competent and benevolent organization on the planet compared to loving NASCAR.

The FIA has traditionally made impressively stupid decisions to push manufacturers away from literally everything else and towards F1 (see: F1 engine regs in '91 which had killed Group C by '93) because at the end of the day the FIA is loving stupid and seriously thinks that getting money from F1 is always gonna be better for them than having multiple streams of income.

The American GT and Open Wheel racing series have made so many mind numbingly stupid decisions between all four of the loving series jesus christ what the gently caress are you jabronis doing down there that it's not worth counting.

NASCAR makes a lot of dumb calls in the name of fan engagement and as a result of the terrible fans they have so I guess that's a thing.

The FIA is absolute hot garbage, and FOM and the ACO can absolutely go gently caress themselves but getting sanctimonious about how good IMSA, Indycar and NASCAR are ignores a rich history of all three being the "absolutely gently caress off now" guys of the motorsports world.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Cygni posted:

its insane to me that F1 fans actually believe this in 2018

I loving hate ferrari (fans), but there are a lot of them and they buy a staggering amount of merch and will travel all around to watch the Scuderia fail to win a championship.

We were almost free of them, then Schumacher decided to "win things by any means necessary".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Renesis 2 when.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

...because one brand got taken out by a diesel scandal, and the other topped up its marketing value for the decade by winning Le Mans three times and then deciding to gently caress off?

I think the “silly money” part is important, but it’s mostly because no manufacturers wanted to spend the resources on a rules set that’s good for at most two more years before changing. And because Peugeot is thrifty as hell.

DPi isn’t a fair comparison because I bet it’s 1/10th the budget P1 is.

Both brands got taken out by diesel scandals.
Porsche wasn't looking to leave until it broke that they were looking at the Porsche SUV diesels for emissions cheating, then rumours went into overdrive that Porsche was looking to jettison the program.

orange juche posted:

ACO/FIA have already expressed their willingness to integrate DPi under the LMP1 category, which would allow manufacturers to run the cars with custom engines and bodywork, which when you look at it, I think the Rebellion LMP1 is just an LMP2 chassis with a custom engine and some bodywork.

It's gonna end in tears, that much I can promise you.

The more "prestigious" racing teams as well as the most "sports" oriented brands that the ACO/FIA love to court (I think they want a "Ferrari in F1" but for Le Mans) will want way more say in chassis design and development and the other brands (the ones the ACO/FIA really want but never want to admit they want) will want costs kept low.
Over time some of the manufacturers are going to bail due to noncompetitiveness and development costs going up as the sportier brands slowly "evolve" the regs to feature more development. It'll prolly spill over into IMSA too since they'll prolly try to keep their regs in line with what the FIA does in an attempt to maximise the field.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 17, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

harperdc posted:

The bigger deal is I doubt the ACO wants to allow any manufacturers a route to P1 that doesn’t involve the World Championship. Petty, but that’s the likely case.

I don't really understand how that's petty?

I doubt IMSA was interested in the ballooning LMP1 costs and I double doubt they were ever going to be willing to let Porsche, Audi, Toyota or Peugeot bring their insanely over budgeted LMP1-HYs over to Daytona and/or Sebring without all of them running the rest of the schedule.
Hell, I doubt they're keen on the privateer LMP1 entries that are about to explode in interest as Toyota pulls out and more constructors get involved.

The flipside is that it's smart of the ACO to try and foster a competition with Le Mans as the crown jewel because that will hopefully strengthen the field at Le Mans long term, just like how the France family made a smart decision investing in a series where a race at Daytona and Sebring are the crown jewel events.

Final Edit:
The only people it's petty for are racing fans who long for a unified endurance series (which is literally never going to happen because in part because gently caress The France Family and in equal part gently caress The Ferrari International Assistance group).

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 17, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

LMP1-HY was comparable to a mid-tier F1 program (in 2016 Audi's budget was reported at 242mil, in 2017 Porsche's spending was estimated at 200mil and Toyota is reportedly still at around 100mil; don't ask me currencies, I can't find them - given the sources I'm going to assume Euros), not vastly in excess of it.

It's a lot compared to the US motorsports, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to F1, where the spending window in 2016 was between ~50mil (for presumably Sauber) and 470mil for Ferrari (again, I assume Euros; also holy poo poo that enormous gap between the lower tier teams and the manufacturer teams; I think Mercedes might have spent more but I cba googling that number). If Audi wanted to come into F1 and walk away with some silverware in 5 years (which is the Audi way) they'd need to roughly double their expenditure at minimum. And the idea of modern Audi/Porsche going to IMSA because seems super unlikely IMHO. The marketing value for Audi in that is negligible in this day and age.

The FIA appears to want teams that want to build themselves around Endurance racing the same way Audi did in the early 2000s. And For What Its Worth there's a decent chance Peugeot would have stuck around if they hadn't made several interesting business calls and been smashed in the balls by the GFC, likewise I still believe one of Audi or Porsche would've survived if the Emissions Cheating Scandal hadn't occured. LMP1-HY was born into a world that it absolutely didn't fit into and the decision to chase it down the rabbit hole is going to kill LMP1 and prolly this iteration of WEC. I absolutely don't believe a DPi formula is the fix to that.

As to the Toyota thing: they're precooking their excuses so they come out well done when Alonso's car stalls about 4 hours in and the other car gets totaled by a Ferrari GTE-Am car. It's doubtful they want to stay in Le Mans long term.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 17, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Lol Porsche.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

WindyMan posted:

Anyone who immediately thought the idea of two back-to-back 12 hour endurance races at Sebring was a dumb idea; is they themselves, dumb.

Yes, it's going to be a clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare. But it will be a glorious clusterfuck and a logistical nightmare.

It being the dumbest idea doesn't automatically make it anything other than ludicrously entertaining.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If all the LMP1's melt down and JPM wins it, taking the triple crown, I'm gonna lol forever

United are in probably the equal fastest chassis at Le Mans and there's a decent chance they'll have a competent crew there too.
If the Toyota's break (when the Toyota's break or Gazoo out of the race) then they're right up in it with a chance.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I had no idea TVR still existed.

They're making a limited run of GBP90k cars.
I don't know if "existed" is a word I'd use, considering Morgan prolly makes more cars per year than TVR does.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

an oddly awful oud posted:

if they manage to balance the Toyota and the rest of the LMP1 field it will be a drat miracle

what's their intention, just let the TS050 pull on everyone coming out of the corners with its hybrid system and then hope the non-hybrids are fast enough in the straights to run it down?

They want the gap close enough to flatter the privateers and make it look like they can win (if Toyota poo poo everything up and lose Le Mans again) while not actually going all in and making that happen.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The last R18 that raced was looking quicker than that years 919 once they'd ironed out the issues that had plagued the car for most of that year's WEC. The R18 they'd designed for the season after that is supposed to have been even better.

Audi getting killed kinda sucks, but once Porsche decided they were coming back they were always finished. I really hope they don't put Porsche in F1, but opt to revive the old (Nazi) Silver Arrows rivalry instead.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

You Am I posted:

http://www.supercars.com/news/championship/why-mustang-supercar-will-race-with-v8-power/

Ford are going to finally drop the Falcon from the Australian Supercars and adopt the Mustang from 2019 on. They will be sticking with the 5lt V8.

All of a sudden Holden sticking with the V8 makes so much sense.
Kinda wish GM would let Holden have a Camaro or a Corvette now. Also, GT-R supercar when?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

Why would anyone want to associate with one of the biggest douchebags to ever race professionally?

It's truly remarkable you can make that statement and my brain immediately goes "yeah, but he's nowhere near Sage Karam's level".

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

drgitlin posted:

As far as I can tell it absolutely does and I am really pissed off about it. What an utterly stupid thing for them to do when even F1 has finally realized you need to offer global streaming.

F1 absolutely hasn't realised that, there are gigantic holes in F1's streaming service that correspond with what Fox+Friends would be calling nations of interest.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

I'll believe they're into global streaming after the next round of rights negotiations.
If Fox offers you more than you know you're gonna get in subs for Australia (which is a distinct possibility), you're gonna take that even if it means a lost opportunity to grow your brand here; I mean, hell, F1 has to sell the rights to the AusGP to a free-to-air network here so Fox already has an in by offering to give an FTA network the Aus GP at a super cut rate while giving Fox the remaining races.

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 19, 2018

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

That's so WEC.
The #7 didn't even leave the pits before the first safety car.
It was an LMGTE-Am too.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

It's good to see ByKloles still applies.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Powershift posted:

I feel as though i need to preemptively apologize to the Misc racing thread on behalf of the F1 thread for DoctorGonzo.

if he's saying Forza Ferrari he's watching the LMGTE-Am race and no-one cares.

Dudley posted:

Although it’s also nice to see them in a proper race against a car of similar speed.

speaking of LMGTE-Am...

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

njsykora posted:

It's basically what they came up with to separate their 2 Ford GTs when they first brought them in, one of them has US drivers and the other is UK drivers.

I think it's actually Chip Ganassi US runs the IMSA Ford GTs and they have a smaller UK branch that runs the WEC Ford GTs.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Basticle posted:

except he had a tire blow today?

Both accidents had that weird brown smoke develop at roughly the same time they stopped turning at roughly the same point.
The Ford GT accident could be that Tincknell lost front end grip because he was following the one in front too close into Eau Rouge and he locked up trying to get the car to point properly.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

If you're on Discord I'll link a youtube stream.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Where is Nando

His stint just started, I'd imagine he'll run a double/until his Engine blows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thread title: Ferrari gonna Ferrari