Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Can't wait for Stroll to podium at this Florida race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

I'm surprised nobody has cut Michelin a bigger check followed Aston Martin down the route of having a tire supplier purely for their LM-GTE team, because with BoP on the cars, engines, weight, etc., but in a class with something of an allowed "tire war," there has to be some gains to be found from pushing the boundaries. Unless there's rules about supplying only one compound for the whole year. But still, there has to be some kind of loophole that allows for some real sticky rubber for Le Mans qualifying.

I recall ages ago listening to Dave Richards extolling the great benefits of BoP because he didn't have to do anything to his cars, he was bragging that he was telling engineers not to bother adding anything because it was a waste of cash. In retrospect that seemed so loving naive and short sighted.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Me and Wicka are in alignment on this which means you're definitely wrong.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

You Am I posted:

Or it is the case you are both horribly bad posters and therefore any opinion from you two jerks can be politely ignored.

Or it could possibly be that it actually looks bad and is made even worse by the fact that it was almost certainly dreamed up by a marketing team and then warmed over by some aero graduates.

If you want an actual legitimate low drag open wheel concept then look to Formula Vee which also runs on low power with skinny street tires. This thing is so self indulgence it looks ridiculous.

Or you can just wholesale write off two posters who more often than not sit on the opposite side of any issue but can still talk to eachother respectfully lol.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'd be absolutely shocked if heads didn't roll from that crash. Like either the Merc ignored yellows or somebody did not get a yellow flag going fast enough.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I'll say the same thing I said in the F1 thread which is that it's not that insane for the only manufacturer in a series that signs an A-list driver (that wouldn't normally drive in something as crappy as the WEC) to want that driver to be in their home race at the circuit they own. It's sucks that there has to be a conflict but that always happens in motorsports, I don't blame Toyota or WEC for doing this. The sport and all the drivers in the field are gonna get way more publicity doing one Alonso weekend than they will by doing two non Alonso weekends.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

iwentdoodie posted:

Anecdotal, but put a 5 year old girl in a go kart or on a quad or dirtbike. They'll do the same poo poo as a boy. Difference is when they hit a certain age, and society/parents/peers say that they need to stop, because it isn't lady like or whatever the gently caress.

This is the real reason girls struggle to succeed in motorsports. If you put anybody into any sort of competitive situation where they're the odd one out for whatever reason and its going to be psychologically very difficult to break down that wall and convince themselves that its not a handicap. the whole survival instinct thing is loving bullshit when you look at how Mouton was literally one of the most successful drivers in the most dangerous era of rally.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

OhsH posted:

as a male i beg for death on a daily basis

Is that a metaphor?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

People forget that the 787B got a weight dispensation from Let Mans and was running at a way lower weight than it should have been for its class. I love that car but it would've been nowhere near victory without that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

an oddly awful oud posted:

if they manage to balance the Toyota and the rest of the LMP1 field it will be a drat miracle

what's their intention, just let the TS050 pull on everyone coming out of the corners with its hybrid system and then hope the non-hybrids are fast enough in the straights to run it down?

They legit said they'll slow down privateers if they are faster than Toyota but not the other way round.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Wirth1000 posted:

lol, Nakajima 2 seconds a lap faster than the sister car. Amazing how much Toyota is gimping the other car in order to orchestrate an Alonso win.

Coulthard had a good point which was more or less "There's no legitimate reason in an era with no other manufacturers to have Alonso in that car unless you want pictures of Alonso winning with your car on all your marketing materials from the event"

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

an oddly awful oud posted:

Just nullify all this year's Le Mans results and force them to run the race again. This time use a giant roulette wheel to determine who gets the obvious and blatant BoP advantage. Make the Pink Pig coat their steering wheel with bacon grease. Lash Chip Ganassi to the Ferris wheel. Force the hybrids to stop and plug in to a wall socket every 15 laps and make Alonso wear a helmet with a bunch of dicks pointing at his face design. Make Cooper MacNeil turn laps with Ted DiBiase riding shotgun

I seriously can't state enough how loving bad BoP is as a system and I've got no interest and following the GT classes because of it. Like publish a loving chart that lays out and documents what gets changed depending on how fast you are based on the previous number of races or something and don't do this loving pseudo science bullshit.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

The Kimoa Kid posted:

This is so stupid because it is SO obvious

It can't be stated enough how loving stupid they are because there is any number of ways you could've massaged this so it looked more natural and they likely would've gotten away with it. Like maybe only take an extra second every pitstop instead of the whole hog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Feels Villeneuve posted:

is Buick still randomly popular in China

Isn't it's bizarre popularity in China the only reason it survived the axe in 2008?