Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

M8 also seems to have some major problems in free practise.

And yes, gimme that M1. BMWs with small kidney = best BMWs (Barockengel, M1, E31 8series, Z1).

And Alonso's teammate sadly binned it after four laps. Let's hope it gets better for them. Rene Rast seems to have gotten a good drive though. Qualifying will be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

OhsH posted:

which teammate

Hanson, according to motorsport-total.com

http://www.motorsport-total.com/imsa/news/24h-daytona-2018-unfall-fuer-fernando-alonsos-fahrzeug-18012501

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

financially racist posted:

gently caress yesssssssss

:ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

gret posted:

Yeah but women and their strong survival instincts are why they'll never make it in racing - somebody in the F1 thread a few weeks back.

Yeah, that was me, but I actually simply recited what Ellen Lohr said in an interview regarding that matter. She also didn't say that women will never make it in racing, she said that from her experience while coaching both female and male drivers, men tend to ignore survival instincts easier than women.

I can't weigh in on that, as I never coached any racing drivers of any gender, so who knows?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

BMW also had the M6 GTLM which was built to GTE spec but never homologated by the ACO, only IMSA, based on the M6 GT3. They've since replaced that with a fully ACO homologated car, the M8 GTE (which promptly got BoPfucked by IMSA)

Note that BMW replaced the 6series/M6 with a completely different car (what used to be the 5series GT), and moved the "super expensive coupé based on a sedan" from the 5series (M6) to the 7series (M8). That's another reason why the M8 GTE is not a direct successor to the M6 GTLM/GT3. It has to do a lot with marketing...no sense in running the M6 (as a works team) any longer if there is no road equivalent for people to buy, thus the move to the M8 (which shares quite a lot of DNA with the M6 GT3).

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's the annual Jim Clark thing on Hockenheim the next weekend, if anyone is interested. Doesn't cost much, and you get to see quite a lot of stuff (and team owners/engineers are super cool because it's a non-competitive weekend and they are very open for questions and stuff).

Uploaded some unedited, mostly boring footage from last year saturday, maybe it's of interest to some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKzotQVIe7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCCLYnlTGf4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vicGi20NKM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRazvQepA0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rKK9OeLCto

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In Australia the bulk of any daytime running happens while we are asleep as the race starts at like 10pm. You get some daytime running the following day but once again only if you’re prepared to stay up way late to watch it go down. We do get access to nismo tv streams though so it’s not all bad.

Whenever a new F1 season starts, it's always the same for me: I feel like a giant idiot fan (which I am, but mostly of WEC and DTM) for staying up super late to catch each and every free practise plus quali plus race (in australia and asia), only to realize that basically most of the rest of the world has to do the same for the majority of the season. It adds some kind of race-watching-nerd-rank (like at least +1) over here and makes the first races feel a bit special, watching them super tired, trying to stay awake while basically nothing happens.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Meh, no more Porsche Supercup at the DTM race this weekend....also no WRX....sad

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Zaphod42 posted:

I can't imagine doing like 5 hours of Nurburgring.

Truly that is the green hell.

Volker Strycek last year actually drove for two teams (ACD and Kissling), and always did a long stint. They caught him once for an interview where he got out of one car, made the interview, and finished it with "gotta go, next car is waiting". Was asked how much he thinks he's going to sleep this weekend, and he looked at them totally confused like he didn't really understand the question.

The guy is 60 years old ;)

tuo fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 8, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

track day bro! posted:

They didn't glue the windows shut on the E46 M3 CSL, the bootliner thing yes. Most of the csl mods were fairly subtle, but they added up to a very nice package. Although I don't think they are really worth like 5 times a normal E46 M3.

They did on the M1 though.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Rast is an awesome racing machine. I'm visiting the DTM races since about eight years, and seeing him in Porsche Super Cup was awesome (also Phillip Eng). Then watching him race in WEC was super cool, and allthough - I admit it - I hate Audi, I cheered and yelled for him at last years DTM finisher race in Hockenheim, and had such a big loving smile on my face when he actually won the championship.

He is an awesome guy, I once met him back when he was driving in the Porsche Cup and talked a couple of seconds to im in the pits, and he was so open and warm and approachable.

I'm a big Rast fan since then, and hope he wins a lot more races and championships. He's a very, very cool dude.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Basticle posted:

imagine going to this race and then paying to sit at the GP track

I used to be at Hatzenbach. Rather quiet in comparission to other parts ofthe track (I like that, not really a party animal). Somehow completely hosed up my work schedule this year, thus forgetting when the 24 hour race was....so I'm sitting here, and feeling a lot of grief :/

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

iospace posted:

A driver getting out of his car to clean his radiator is the most endurance racing poo poo.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Listening to Dirk Adorf (in the M4 GT4) on TV during a 24h hotlap is awesome....I really like this guy :)

also goddamn that audi crash :ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

argh, there goes Rast and Frijns as well....tough luck, that's endurance racing, but wondering why that wasn't a code 60....did the merc slow down so recently?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Xisticide posted:

Rast is also entered in the Land Audi I think.

oh yeah, of course! thanks!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Goddamn, Sabine Schmitz is just co-comenting on german tv and explained why she doesn't drive: she has/had cancer and is still in late chemo but already back racing and somehow made a helicopter license during chemo....what a lady

e: she's mainly concerned that the guys from the Opel Manta start to drink the beer of her team, leaving nothing to her

tuo fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 12, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hello Darkness my old friend fiend

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"Sabine Schmitz" posted:

Normally, you think you are overdriving the car and yourself during the night, but overall, you are maybe twenty or thirty seconds slower than during the day.....apart - of course - from those brain damaged ones with a nail in their head, they only loose maybe five or six seconds....but I'm too old for that

loving lol

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Van der Linde just said in an interview that he simply lost the car and the cutted slick simply didn't work for the new amount of rain that came down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

RIP Manthey's chance of winning this thing

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Gonna be interesting if they restart. The weather radar doesn't look that good, tbh. If they do, and they restart without keeping current deltas/adding them to the result like last time, it's gonna be super interesting regarding the battle at the front.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Manthey did it. God drat, that was an awesome job!

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Another drat good DTM race just happened. Just saying.

btw: if anyone missed the last laps last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lXbURtYkyk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX2_h3ygn0Y

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:55 on May 19, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The race after the red flag was awesome. I'm glad that Rene Rast is okay, but the super short sprint race (with one mandatory pitstop) that followed was really good racing, especially since DTM got rid of those stupid performance weights.

I'm always amazed at how safe the DTM cars are, then again, they are basically like LMP2 cars with the engine in front and a silouette over the whole thing.

I mean, couple of years ago this would have resultet in a driver that would have either been knocked out for a couple of races with broken legs OR in a driver without the same amount of legs he was born with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKwvyoZRs2s

What actually happened is that he (Rockenfeller) missed one race and actually won the next race he was in, where he had to break and accelerate with the same foot, because his broken one wasn't able to do anything else than operating the clutch at start. First driver on the podium in crutches????

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

There's a lot at stake. Imagine they gently caress this up. I can't. But I am sure it's possible.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They are bringing back the butcher's cut livery? I think I love you, Porsche!

tuo fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 2, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

CactusWeasle posted:

3 cars crashed in a wet pit lane during the DTM race, and I think a marshall was pinned against one of the garages. Seems to have bad leg injuries but not life threatening

When I saw the footage, I got sick. It seems though he "only" has an broken legs (open fractures, though). Imo, it's a miracle he still has two feet, seeing as the front splitter of Auer's car was completely broken.

I asume the footage of the crash(es) will be all over the net within the next hours....I can only suggest to NOT watch the cockpit cam footage if you are easily disturbed.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

e: nah, not worth it

tuo fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 3, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lol first turn

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

Why doenst Ferrari run the fxx or something?

The 448 is fine? Also, ain't the fxx a hybrid?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The works Porsche are flying, wow

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It will be fun to watch the Toyotas go at it at least until one has a problem

or they are giving each other draft...I haven't seen the two overtakes, was it racing or team order?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

njsykora posted:

Roughly 100% chance the team orders are to not crash and let Alonso's car win so probably just drafting.

Just seen one overtake...looks like team order, one drafting the other

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

DoctorGonzo posted:

Wait they have mandated pit stop? What the gently caress is this poo poo

What's wrong with it?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I remember when they didn't have mandated pit stops. It always sucked if a 24 hour race was decided because a sleep-deprived mechanic didn't fix the tire correctly because everyone tried to go as fast as possible, or drivers having to come back to the pits because their seat or seatbelt or whatever wasn't fixed correctly etc.

Or cars going up in flames because the sleep-deprived driver dragged the sleep-deprived refueling-guy with him while petrol was spilling all over the place.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Thanks Dragonspeed for making my point moot

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

welcome friend

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Combat Theory posted:

Finally a good weekend

I see you made a completo...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the max laps during a stint thing for GT is some retarded NASCAR poo poo

Isn't it part of the BoP, or am I imagining things?