Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Imagine my surprise that I wonder in 4 hours late and discover the 3 Multimatic or Multimatic based cars are running 37th, 40th and 47th in a field of 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Especially as they skipped the last 3 races of 2017 literally to avoid this scenario.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

CactusWeasle posted:

I agree with you for the most part, but ya know it wasnt helped by John Martin arriving many seconds later faster than he should have through waved yellows at the most blind part of the track

I've only seen the video above but for me it's simple, if there were yellow flags visible before that corner, that driver in the Mercedes should be banned for a very long time for ignoring them.

If there weren't, then there are serious procedural questions to be asked.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, just because you're a volunteer doesn't give you a pass for not doing a job and being directly responsible for a fairly serious injury.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

quote:

The body claims the officials followed the ‘correct procedure’ and that matters regarding to track safety will always be investigated.

“CAMS can confirm that its officials followed correct procedure at Bathurst on Sunday,” read a statement issued to Speedcafe.com.

Then there were yellow flags and a driver should be kicked out of racing.

Of course we know this to be a lie so they'll do jack poo poo and wait for someone else to die.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Forget driver clashes, there are going to be teams that run PLM that now can't.

And they're announcing it after those teams will have committed to the NAEC and indeed, ran the first race of it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The Katherine Legge episode of dinner with racers was hilarious.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

I'm vacillating between telling you to "keep going at full speed" and to relax and enjoy it at a leisurely pace, but if you're still in season 1, you've got some gems coming. Level 5 Special, Bill Riley, Tommy Kendall to name a few.

Or as I've gone for, skip around like an idiot, because I couldn't resist listening to Sarah Fisher.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

God drat, not even the magic of Joest Racing can fix Mazda.

Death, taxes, and Mazda gonna Mazda are the 3 universal constants.

Double sucks because Mazda used to do real good in the Rolex series from what I heard.

Joest can't do anything about the fact that Mazda decided that rather than build an IMSA car they'd first butcher a couple of Lolas old enough to remember segregation in public schools and then pick the LMP2 chassis slower than Montoya to a salad bar.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

My Lego Ferrari has already shipping, picked up the Fiesta WRC as well.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I also like how badly the TCR UK launch is going. In a shocking turn of events the UK did not need a second low-cost touring car series.

You'd think the failure to organise the cup for old BTCC machinery, which everyone already owned, would have told them that.

Britain has a second low-cost touring car series, it's called the Clio Cup.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Does the ACO sell those paint colours or something?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Humbug posted:

God drat it. Sebastian Loeb is back in WRC, and is currently leading the Mexico rally. Why couldn't he stay in WRX and be mediocre there. Hope Sordo or Meeke can take it to him. Shows how much of a rally machine he is though. Be gone for 5 years, and then challenge for the win in his first event.

In easily the shittest car too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

If DPi is going to mean BoP in the top class at LeMans, it can gently caress right off.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I had no idea TVR still existed.

They don't really, or rather they were dormant for several years.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Been watching the WTCR and gently caress me if they haven't spun poo poo into gold with this one. 3 excellent races, one hell of a driver line up and the cars look absolutely fast enough.

It actually finally feels like the BTCC on the world stage rather than the staid mess that was WTCC.

The Nordschleife race is going to be excellent.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Didn't everyone from GRC already hop to another series anyway?

Ah yes they had, and the GRC was trying to market upgraded unbadged lites cars.

(This also led me to Scott Speed's twitter where claims to be the World Champion of Rallycross in 2015,2016 and 2017, which would certainly be a surprise to Petter Solberg, Mattias Ekstrom and Johan Kristoffersson who were probably charmingly under the illusion that winning the World Championship rather than a domestic series that only exists to sell sugar water might confer that honour).

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Olsbergs (who built all the Fiestas and ran the Civics) already have moved to World RX with a pair of the Fiestas.

And both Subaru and Andretti will be in the Americas Rallycross that Feels Villeneuve reminded me of.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

It's good to see ByKloles still applies.

Although it’s also nice to see them in a proper race against a car of similar speed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

oh poo poo thats just like fittipaldi

Yeah, seems a lot less likely suddenly that was a car failure yesterday doesn’t it?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Basticle posted:

except he had a tire blow today?

Yeah so it seems, that was not clear when I posted.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Which is pretty good, I've been watching it since the start.

And enjoying a wikipedia edgelord deleting me adding the G-Drive car to the WEC page because it's apparently not an entrant.

You know, despite the fact it's on the FIA's entry list, which I cited and is actually racing right now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

71 Ferrari might get dinged for that, it was all fine until on the exit of the corner he suddenly turns right for no reason.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Le Mans is one of those races that will always exist, and WEC knows it. The problem is right now is WEC was sticking it to F1 in terms of hybrid development, and was an attractive alternative, at least at the start, for teams who wanted to build a hybrid racing powertrain but didn't want to commit F1 dollars to it (and not have the risk of flaming out in 5 years). However, the rise of Formula E, which is cheaper and focuses more on the electronic tech (which in terms of automotive applications is still relatively in its infancy), was an even more attractive alternative because it's so much cheaper.

So all the car companies who want to help get electronics down pat ended up jumping ship to F-E instead of F1 or LMP1-Hy.

Yeah, the WEC is only a few years old and LeMans survived since the demise of the last one, admittedly not with 60 cars every year.

If Toyota left I really think they'd be replaced with several more LMP1 privateers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

LMP1L's in trouble.

Surely they need to fix that before the BR1s are let anywhere near LeMans.
And Manor may not appear either.

So we're done to Rebellion and ByKolles, which is very 2015.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iwentdoodie posted:

They need to just get over it and make DPi the worldwide top level. They're so much faster than P2 that it would still be the halo series, and much cheaper for manufacturers.

gently caress hybrids for now, get the interest back in the sport and try again later. The experiment failed, and a replacement is literally right there.

But then WEC/ACO would have to admit IMSA did good things.

gently caress no.

BOP has no place in the top class.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Pablo Bluth posted:

If you want something more sedate, Monaco Grand Prix Historique is being live streamed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V10PawE_t2w

Wonderful cars but the commentators are loving awful, they literally missed everything in the 60s F1 race.

Adrian Newey running a Lotus 49 in this one though.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

jammyozzy posted:

The full Le Mans entry list is out: http://assets.lemans.org/explorer/pdf/courses/2018/24-heures-du-mans/entry-list-24-heures-du-mans-2018.pdf

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/05/17/final-le-mans-entry-test-entry-revealed.html

Both Ginettas and all three BR1 cars are confirmed, with the cause of the flip at Spa "known and understood".

Much more concerningly for everyone involved, Tracy Krohn has a ride in an LMP2 Ligier. Given the trouble he had keeping a previous-gen LMP2 out of the gravel I'm sure he will provide even more excitement this time around.

The Manor Ginettas are being propped up by swapping Dean Stoneman for the first paydriver they grabbed off the street.

They might struggle to appear after LeMans.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm astonished it took this long.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

iospace posted:

Is Bykolles competing this year?

Sorry, let me rephrase that:

Is Bykolles going to participate this year?

They're in the official grid photo so we can say as much as "The car reached France and then drove about 200m without imploding".

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Schlesische posted:

The ACO will drag the LMP1 privateers to compete at races kicking and screaming if they have to.
I know you just wanted to make a ByKloles joke, but Manor at Spa was embarrassing for the ACO, they can't have that happening at Le Mans. That's too far.

Especially as they couldn't be sure Dragonspeed would make it.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

"Freedom of design"

"Reduced costs"

Do they even hear themselves anymore?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm not wielding until Martin Haven does.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

That replacement rear on the SMP 35 just now is from the Algarve Pro car.

Little early to be out of parts.

And as I type this it gets worse for SMP, 17 in the wall.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

orange juche posted:

Lmao SMP #35 stole a rear deck from another Oreca

It's a Dallara, not an Oreca.

Although weirdly, despite the fact that was Algarve Pro painted, the 25 is a Ligier.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The back end was from the reserve list High Class Racing Dallara apparently, according to Xisti on Discord.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Still not crashing though.

I want my Am Ferrari Crash.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Cygni posted:

Dragonspeed is keeping Oreca's parts book busy

e: nm im dumb thats Rebellion with the Orecas, dragonspeed has a BR1

Which to complete the thought, is built by Dallara and rebadged. The actions of a fail team.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah no class leaders in the wall.

Although if you missed the SMP 17 going out, find those clips now.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I don't think anything tells the relative professionalism of the LMP1 teams than just listing their race positons

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
48th
49th
50th
52nd
And that's ignoring the retired ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Xisticide posted:

Just had an interview with the managing director of Silverstone on RLM, highlights include: “came here in 91 and had to put up with that horrible Mazda” and crediting Corvette with bringing Lammers back this year.

Having been to Silverstone this doesn’t really surprise me.

I've been trying to figure this one out.

Does he think the Dutch Dallara is a Corvette or something?