Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

M8 lookin pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It is a nice whale

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

1:36.09 from Helio in quals, lol. After the roar, people were saying that the Acura was too slow. When will they ever learn about Penske.

e: holy shitttt van der zande.

Caddy, Oreca (acura), Caddy, Oreca, Caddy, Oreca, Caddy, Oreca

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 25, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

13 cars within 1 second, thats pretty dang good for a bop.

That Pat O'Ward lap was big too. Could see why both Van der zande and O'Ward have some buzz about em.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/DTNweatherIntel/status/956898281849806848

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Lol on the formation lap, Jesus Christ

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good run for the CORE dudes though. Another hour or so and they mighta won.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wasn't a nail biter of a race like its been a few times the last few years, but I liked the long green flag runs. Every endurance race these days seems to be plagued with yellows taking like half of the total time, so it was cool to see just a clean green race with actual endurance mattering. Had to survive to win.

I also don't think BoP was as bad as it was even last year. Caddys and Acuras in P, Ford and Ferrari in GTLM, def were a step above, but were talking like 4-tenths. That small difference is magnified when there are no cautions. It's hard to get a read on the Nissans, Mazdas, and BMWs cause they spent most of the race having issues, too.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They are all purpose built silhouette racecars on a BOP budget, and only 1 of them is new this year. If they aren’t equal, it’s a BOP problem.

The Ford program upped the bar in GTLM for sure, and it’s design was far more progressive than the rest of the field was ready for (plus they played the sandbag game perfectly at launch), but the 488, new 911, and M8 are all playing the same game now. None of them really have anything to do with the street version.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

New Formula e chassis

http://www.racer.com/formula-e/item/147101-formula-e-fia-unveil-images-of-gen2-car

uh, ok.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

its funny cause im pretty sure the cars would be faster at some of their rinky-dink tracks without the body work

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

No, they wouldn’t. There’s a great feature in this month’s Racecar Engineering about Formula E aerodynamics. The cars are actually very low drag.

i was talking weight not drag but ok. im not sure drag matters much when you are going 30mph around a 1-lane chicane

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

'hey guys can you take the incredibly cool allard j2x and instead make it look like a lovely try-hard happy meal toy that even kids dont like'

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA has been pretty clear that they expect teams to be up-front about the BOP, and everyone knows that IMSA balances refueling times. GTD is explicitly not a "build a better mousetrap" category, hence why manufacturer supported teams are banned (except when IMSA decides they arent, like the Toyota and Acura last year, lol).

They took a NASCAR/IndyCar/F1 approach to the rules and tried to exploit a gray zone. But this isn't the category where "well it isnt TECHNICALLY illegal!!!!" is welcome, and thats been clear. I don't really feel bad for them. If they woulda asked before, they woulda got the answer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol whyyyyyyy

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tuo posted:

Yeah, that was me, but I actually simply recited what Ellen Lohr said in an interview regarding that matter. She also didn't say that women will never make it in racing, she said that from her experience while coaching both female and male drivers, men tend to ignore survival instincts easier than women.

I can't weigh in on that, as I never coached any racing drivers of any gender, so who knows?

lmao

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i love alonso but now i hope his engine blows up at 23hrs at lemans and he doesnt even show up to the Fuji race at all

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Wirth1000 posted:

This seems like an absolute steal for $100k?

Reserve not met. You can buy a new one from the factory for like $400k I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

GTE are essentially full purpose built racecars from the ground up. They are prototypes that look like streetcars. Any parts they share with their road equivalent are likely for marketing. Less performance balancing, more manufacturer involvement, very high cost (~2-3x higher than LMP2 in WEC or Proto in IMSA). Mostly the realm of works teams and a few very rich privateers.

GT3 is more performance balancing, less manufacturer involvement, more reasonable costs. So while there are cars that are purebred racecars in the class, they will be performance balanced back to everyone else anyway so there is little incentive to make pieces of the car out of unobtainum or beat the chassis into the ground in testing. Mostly the realm of privateers, with varying degrees of manufacturer support.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They had already announced they were killing C2 and going to 3.5l F1-ish engines (to the benefit of teams with access to F1 engines and no one else) the next year, prior to Mazda winning. poo poo, they were gonna cancel the whole 92 season until Peugeot threw a fit, and yall know how pliable the ACO/FIA get when its a frog complaining.

So yeah, the rotary was 'banned', but it was mostly so they could go to Formula-style regulations which were absolute trash in their own right, and less to do with anyone caring about the rotary.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They have imperial control of worldwide racing and consistently make the worst possible choice every single time, most of the time because they are incalculably corrupt and full of cronyism. Who cares about the actual on track entertainment product when we can take graft from some shithead billionaire or company???

Racing would be straight up better if they didn't exist at all, but because of said corruption and cronyism, they are written into the fuckin LAWS of some countries. Despite American racing trying to distance themselves from the rolling FIA disaster, it's still had a continual impact on US racing. That sucks. The FIA sucks and everyone should hate them imo.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix posted:

And Ferrari is a special case, like it or not.
its insane to me that F1 fans actually believe this in 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iwentdoodie posted:

Anyone here camp for Sebring?

Thinking about doing it this year. Me, my car, tent, and basic supplies. All you do is set up in your parking spot, correct?

I've done it a few times. It owns rear end. Just drive in, find a spot and claim it. This is the land where no laws apply. Words of wisdom: if you dont want to party till 3am, you probably don't want to be along the main road or next to anybody erecting huge towers or stages out of scaffolding. Youll see.

Also bring beer and food to trade with your neighbors. Breakfast is the meal with the worst at track concession options, and i never bring enough, so dont be me.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

looks like its illegal streams for me again

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/CautionClock20/status/972927602078953472

Cygni fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 11, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shank is already racking up quite the parts bill for this year. Marks stuffed it in practice.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/148076-significant-work-ahead-for-msr-after-practice-crash

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

BMW 1st and 3rd in Sebring quals. They really shoulda waited until LeMans to bust out that speed.

e: all 10 DPIs within a second. Race pace will be interesting for sure.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 16, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iwentdoodie posted:

Or FIA needs to allow DPi, and stop all this poo poo.

yeah

Its worth noting that the DPi programs have like 5x the budget of any of the privateers, which means lots of shaker rig and offseason sebring testing time. Which means better shock programs. Which means kicking rear end at sebring. Daytona is more privateer friendly cause there is less private testing there and its so smooth.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iwentdoodie posted:

There was a random 60+mph gust of wind through the infield. It blew poo poo everywhere.

I walked back to my car/campsite and there was a tent on my car. When I went to move it, the next campsite stopped me because they had bets on where it would fly next.

It's currently stuffed into a fence at 9, so if we get another gust expect that to be a caution.

lol i love sebring

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

transition time at sebring is the best

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Weird wreck for Vautier

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

gently caress yeah, that kicks rear end man.

i think im gonna try to go next year too, the idea of another endurance race STARTING as the couches are still burning in the infield sounds... incredible.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah, PWC started allowing TCR spec cars in their TC/TCA class last year.

the antiseptic look is probably because it uses spec aero. its a low cost spec, afterall.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Spirit of Daytona is gonna miss Long Beach due to tub damage. That sucks.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/148270-spirit-of-daytona-to-skip-long-beach

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Schlesische posted:

They're making a limited run of GBP90k cars.
I don't know if "existed" is a word I'd use, considering Morgan prolly makes more cars per year than TVR does.

Delorean makes more cars than TVR. I don’t think they’ve actually started production again, so it’s been like 12 years since a production car came off the assembly line.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

Got any idea how soon LMGTEs show true pace cause so far Aston Martin looks awfully slow.

In GTE, you never ever show your true pace until it’s too late for them to BoP you for lemans.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i like the 919 evo cause it looks just like a late GTP/Group C era car and that whips rear end

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

anybody wanna hire Scott Speed?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

All 24 hours of Lemans will be on one channel in the US! But its on Velocity... which you probably dont have even if you pay for regular cable. Its not available on Youtube TV, Sling TV, Playstation Vue, or Hulu Live either, but you can get it on the DirecTV Now streaming pack.

Rest of the WEC races will be live in the first and last hours on Velocity, and the rest on the MotorTrend.com app (lol). Coverage will just be the Eurosport coverage straight piped, no US specific coverage.

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/148763-velocity-to-air-le-mans-24-hours-wec-super-season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/autosport/status/988100966514913280