Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

IMSA joining IndyCar/NASCAR on NBC on a 6 year deal:

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/149065-imsa-moving-to-nbc-sports-in-2019-149065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

having a mechanical/electrical failure at apex at eau rouge, jesus christ

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CactusWeasle posted:

Mazdas staying right with the Acuras, and as of this posting have not yet exploded

well there goes one!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

having a hybrid powertrain based ruleset in 2018 is dumb. that ship has sailed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

maybe Jaws of Life? not sure

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like he got over the rumble strips at speed and lifted the front up.... and awwwaaaay weee gooooooo

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dudley posted:

gently caress no.

BOP has no place in the top class.

its already BOPed

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

harperdc posted:

It’s EOT, Equalization of Tech, which is trying to bridge the gap between (at this point) hybrid and non-hybrid cars. Previously was trying to do so between levels of MJ power and between the gas and diesel engines.

BoP is in DPi because IMSA is still trying to give the P2-spec cars a shot despite manufacturers adding more power, aero, and all the best chassis tuning/adjustment the likes of Joest and Penske have available. It’s not just power, even if you gave every DPi the Gibson engine, they still have shock programs the P2 teams don’t.

yeah, i just meant in the common usage of the term BOP, they both have it. theres lots of ways and types of BOPs but pretty much every series has somethin' these days. and frankly, i don't think were ever going back.

i still miss the old World Challenge success weight.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Heres the first confirmation i've seen that Pietro's crash was a mechanical, like a bunch of yall here caught.

Pietro posted:

“We had an electrical issue and I lost power steering, went straight into the wall in qualifying,” he explained. “I tried to turn the car but it (steering) was locked up.

“Right before I hit I thought, ‘Oh I’m going pretty fast,’ and I was a little scared.”

https://racer.com/2018/05/17/fittipaldis-recovery-its-toughen-up-and-get-back-as-soon-as-possible/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

2 cars didnt start because their funders assets are frozen, one cars electronics turned off in the middle of eau rouge and mangled a driver, one had a blow over, and the Toyotas waltzed to a 1-2 with a 2 lap lead while not even trying...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

SRO has bought World Challenge on their quest to own GT3/GT4 worldwide.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://racer.com/2018/06/05/montoya-encouraged-by-le-mans-test/

I love Montoya. He stopped one step short of saying "wow this car is garbo"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

LMP1 dying it looks like:

https://racer.com/2018/06/07/wmsc-hints-at-2020-2021-lmp1-replacement-regulations/

quote:

For the new regulations, there’s a targeted budget of one-quarter of current LMP1 budgets, and freedom of design for brands based on a ‘hypercar’ concept. Cost reduction is set to be maintained in no small part via restrictions to aero development, with a particular focus on the underside of the new cars.

Ahh, are we back to the prototypes-that-look-like-street cars portion of the never ending sportscar cycle? Dope.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I guess they could have a huge and efficient floor, but just have it spec? That would hopefully let em race close for cheaper.

But then again this is the ACO, they will probably mandate flat floors and rediscover the blow-over era.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

use illegal streams ya idjits

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the ACO owns the track and is surely still pouting about how they ruined their own top class (again), so i doubt they would be interested in letting that happen

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the whole reason the team and cars exist in the first place is marketing so

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ACO's 2020 regs:

https://racer.com/2018/06/15/2020-lmp1-proposed-regulations-presented-at-le-mans/

So its DPi but more expensive for no performance gain and probably not compatible with IMSA's regs cause the targeted budgets are 3x the size.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It is indeed very similar to DPi, the biggest difference being that they're not based on standard prototype models.

Yeah that was my take away too. I don't think you can really get to the budgets IMSA wants without cost sharing the chassis, so I dunno how (or if) they are gonna solve this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Doesnt sound too good that IMSA will re-adopt the top class:

Scott Atherton posted:

“The [ACO/FIA] know exactly where we stand in what we believe is a sustainable budget,” he said. “And it really comes down to that. We could talk for hours about hybrid technology, the cockpit greenhouse dimensions, and all the technical details, but what it really boils down to is this: will the budget to develop these cars, and then to race these cars, fall within the range of sustainability we know applies to North America?

“The commitment to see this through to the end is what we’re confirming today. If, in the end, it is unfortunately demonstrated that we can’t get there, rest assured we won’t compromise, we won’t jeopardize, we won’t abandon what we have going in North America simply to have the satisfaction of saying we’re part of a global formula.

“That’s a mistake we will not make. And we’re not alone in our perspective. We’ve been in multiple manufacturer meetings this week, and similar concerns were expressed with the proposed budgets. And the fact that it’s a huge improvement to where LMP1 is today on costs, some have said it’s not enough [of a reduction] for them to participate. And our name is also on that list.”
https://racer.com/2018/06/15/insight-where-does-the-aco-fias-new-prototype-concept-leave-dpi/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Montoya was turning low 3:33's in the Ligier, but some of the Orecas were in the 3:30s. They got their work cut out.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lmao Alonso cuttin the grass

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AzMiLion posted:

Yeah, the dutch commentary hasn't shut up about it for the last hour or so. It's getting annoying to the point i hope the 7 or 8 fails out so they have something new to talk about.

Well the closest battle for a lead in any class is 1:30 apart, so they gotta talk about somethin.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I know that in-car on the yota is zoomed in and makes the sensation of speed way exaggerated but it still is fuckin cool

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

29 Dallara looks like it’s blowin up

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drat, somethin must have broken on the 40. Fast place to wreck

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

D. Ebdrup posted:

I just woke up. How the gently caress are there still 8 cars within one lap of each other in GTPro?

The two euro porsche's have a 1 lap lead on the rest, but its close after that. Porsche played the BoP game.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

3rd overall in the garage. Cant tell if they are messing with the master cylinder or the pushrods in the front.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DogonCrook posted:

They just did that to the other one too not too long ago.

It looked like brakes to me, maybe they are just being proactive and doing a full bleed on them since they have a 13 lap lead over the Dragonspeed car anyway. Normally you can do that without taking the nose off though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The Jackie Chan/Ricky Taylor Ligier is officially done with an engine failure.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

and now its gonna blow up

also i think that was the first pass for the lead in any category in like 10 hours. this... this has not been a barnburner

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Dragonspeed is keeping Oreca's parts book busy

e: nm im dumb thats Rebellion with the Orecas, dragonspeed has a BR1

Cygni fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 17, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lmao 1 minute stop and holds for both toyotas

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

that was a lot of smoke from the toyota...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

That was not a good race, but was good Saturday background noise with pretty racecars I guess.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/___BMA___/status/1009233092408725508

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DPi is gonna be the same regardless of WEC cars running in the class or not, all of its rules are locked for 2 more seasons at a minimum. IMSA made that deal with the builders so they can spread their costs out over the full term.

They talked about doing a subclass with WEC cars for gentlemen drivers, sorta like GT-Am, while the pro guys were still the Prototype class. A WEC car won at Laguna like a few races ago, afterall.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 28, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whoever at Porsche actually convinced the board to spend the money to go on this tour is awesome

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Schlesische posted:

The idea behind it is simple:
"If we're going back to Le Mans in the new regs, we need to keep as much of the team here doing something as we can."
i appreciate your optimism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ligier vs Oreca here it looks like. I was doin the dishes and stuff while watchin on a laptop, but I cant figure out how the #6 messed up the pit strategy.