Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Another iconic German brand is ending it's long-running sportscar program

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
I can't fault the WEC for prioritising their interests, and the interests of one of their manufacturers and the owners of a major circuit in their calendar, over the interests of another series.

If Cadillac called up IMSA tomorrow and asked them to move a race and it wound up causing a clash with the WEC they would do it in a heartbeat, and most of the people complaining about this would be applauding them for putting their own interests first.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
The IMSA stream is stuttering like crazy :( it's been getting worse and worse since they made big changes to it 2 or so years ago.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
JMW are running the WeatherTech entry at Le Mans this year.

I wonder why they were chosen...

Cooper MacNeil posted:

We came close [to winning] last year with a third place finish. But, the JMW Ferrari was too quick for us to catch, as was the second place car.
ah

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
RS3 commentary reporting that the car may have taken off Webber-style

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iospace posted:

Is the Opel Manta returning?

Along with 149 other cars yes. http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/04/26/nurburgring-24-hours-entry-revealed.html

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
That is loving terrifying. It's a good job there's a fair amount of run-off up thereand they weren't using the extended pit exit.

"DSC posted:

Multiple observers (including trackside marshals) have reported directly to DSC that the car completed two “backflips” when airborne

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Does anyone know how to watch the 24h at Nurburgring this weekend in the US (Youtube TV)?
They're already streaming practice/qualifying/support. Classices are on now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxOzJPBhlVY

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

iwentdoodie posted:

BoP should go away, and would if the P2 cars were split off.

The actual DPi cars are so much faster it's not even funny.

Basically I just want to see a full set if competitive cars, and right now that's the only class that has even a snowballs chance in hell at doing it.

If you un-BoP'd them the DPi class would fall apart overnight. The only requirement to build a DPi is to be at least as fast as the Oreca P2, but there's no maximum limit. Uncapped 1 (maybe 2) of them will almost certainly be faster than the rest, all the manufacturers signed up under the idea of the class being balanced and if that's taken away either the guys in last will just bail or you'll get a development war that will destroy the class through rising costs.

I would love to see a class based around a strict set of tech regs with no BoP but the second someone comes along (probably BMW) and says "we'll show up if you give us a waiver in exchange for this cash" IMSA (or the ACO, SRO or whoever) would cave instantly and it'd be back to BoP.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

tuo posted:

argh, there goes Rast and Frijns as well....tough luck, that's endurance racing, but wondering why that wasn't a code 60....did the merc slow down so recently?

Rast is also entered in the Land Audi I think.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
What? They're just out for a jog on a live track, no issues there.

:gonk:

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Someone at Porsche remembered that they used to have awesome liveries :

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/porsche-reveals-retro-gte-pro-liveries

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Oh Mazda :(

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
#47 Cetilar Villorba Corse car is in pieces at the first chicane, ambulance heading to the scene but the cctv picked up the driver getting out of the car himself.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Just had an interview with the managing director of Silverstone on RLM, highlights include: “came here in 91 and had to put up with that horrible Mazda” and crediting Corvette with bringing Lammers back this year.

Having been to Silverstone this doesn’t really surprise me.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Dudley posted:

I've been trying to figure this one out.

Does he think the Dutch Dallara is a Corvette or something?

It dawned on me a few minutes ago he’s probably thinking about the wrong Jan

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
True, I think the guy’s just a moron.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
These are also some of the rules that everyone was convinced that the ACO were going to use on everyone but Toyota to protect them.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Congrats Toyota, you really showed ByKolles who's boss :cool:

Eh, they can only race the teams that are there and it’s not their fault Audi and Porsche left.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

drgitlin posted:

The FIA is the perfect analogue for the ACO. As in F1, there is a separate organization that manages the commercial rights and logistics (can’t remember what it’s called for the WEC). The ACO sets the calendar, writes the rules, and officiates. Just like in F1 that’s all done by the FIA.

FOM didn’t issue F1’s technical rules, that was the FIA.

LMEM

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
We've got an extra works GTE Pro entry for the November WEC round in China

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2018/07/29/sro-statement-on-meyrick-krebs-condition.html

SRO Statement posted:

Both drivers suffered fractures and, due to the high-speed nature of the accident, are currently being kept under observation in intensive care. However, neither has suffered life-threatening injuries.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Pole at last years IMSA round at CotA was the WTR DPi at 1:54.809, the WEC P2 pole later in the year was the Alpine at 1:54.024 (average time over both drivers) and that was before the DPis were pegged back, the fastest IMSA P2 at CotA was the PR1 Ligier at 1:56.884 and the fastest ORECA was JDC with 1:57.726, so that's nearly 3 full seconds from the tyres and drivers.

edit: later not earlier

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 6, 2018

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

harperdc posted:

This weekend is the Silverstone WEC round and also looks like the FIA WEC has announced a provisional calendar for the post-super season 2019-20 season:

https://twitter.com/FIAWEC/status/1030385401012346880

Interesting we’ll have 4-, 6-, 8- and 24 hour races, plus the still-provisional Sebring 1000 as well. Bahrain and Interlagos are also back!

4 hours at Silverstone is a bit weird, I wonder what that means for the ELMS round, is it being shortened too or is it moving to its own weekend?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

CactusWeasle posted:

Startline pileup in IMSA - someone spun the 5, 911, 66 heavily damaged

The 99 spun the 5 by the looks of things. I almost forgot this was on, nice of them to cause a delay so I could join at the replay.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
well, while we're in an extended lull, good news about/from Sheena Monk:

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1038862223597174784

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Wtf is Sharp anyone doing?

Xisticide fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 9, 2018

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
How is it possible to keep throwing away race after race after race like this?

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
It looks like a Mustang that swallowed a V8SC whole and assumed it's shape.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Bentai posted:

:nms:
twitter DOT com/VanGamerenF1/status/1064066021953363969
:nms:
Good lord. I.. she loving went into the fences backwards at full speed. Oh god.

According the FIA she's conscious which is completely not what I expected to read having seen that.

quote:

A serious incident has occurred on lap 4 of the 2018 FIA F3 World Cup at Macau involving car #25 Sophia Flörsch (GER).

Following evaluation by medical staff, the driver is conscious and has subsequently been taken to hospital for further evaluation.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Cygni posted:

How about a new GTE entrant for Lemans/WEC in 2021... that we probably won't ever see if we are honest.

https://racer.com/2019/01/09/brabham-announces-2021-gte-effort/

Don't often see a team step down from an imaginary P2 program to an imaginary GTE program.

Hopfully this one actually turns a wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Wondered about this when they turned up to the Roar in all white.

https://twitter.com/FordPerformance/status/1083393101148893184