Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Toji no Miko is a multimedia franchise by Genco starting with a Winter 2018 anime by Studio Gokumi, there's also a manga, and Square Enix is making a phone game because of course. The anime has been licensed through Crunchyroll. Apparently it will also be getting a full 24 episodes instead of the usual 12.

The official description is:

quote:

Since ancient times shrine maidens who wield swords have been exorcising "aradama," strange existences that threaten the human world. These young women who wear school uniforms and a sword are called "Toji," and they serve as an official unit within the police force as a "special religious service police squad." The government authorizes the Toji to wear swords and serve as government officials, and the government has set up five schools throughout the country for the girls to attend. The girls live ordinary school lives, while occasionally performing their duties, wielding their swords and using various powers to fight and protect the people. In the spring, the five schools send their best Toji to compete in a tournament. As the tournament comes closer, all of the representatives rigorously train themselves in order to get stronger and improve their skills.

Sounds like Touken Ranbu but with girls or Strike Witches with swords right? But that's not really correct. What actually happens is that during the final match of the tournament, one of the students tries to assassinate the head of the Toji, her opponent grabs her for Certain Reasons and they both flee, pursued by the government. So far I like it, it's got a good focus on plot and is entertaining.

Characters

Kanami Etou and Mai Yanase
Two toji from Minoseki Academy. Kanami wields a sword called Chidori with the Yagyu Shinkage-ryu style and is good at reading opponents. Mai wields a Magoroku Kanemoto sword and uses the Hokushin Itto-Ryu style. Both are able to maintain the Utsushi energy states for longer periods of time compared to other Toji.

Hiyori Juujou
Heijiro Institute student with a serious personality. Focuses on speed but is apparently lacking in practical experience. Wields the sword Kogarasu Maru and uses the Kashima Shinto-ryu style.

Sayaka Itomimi
A mysterious and dour student from Renpu Academy. Uses a Muramasa with the Ono-ha Itto-ryu style. Rumored to have undergone extensive VR training and to have been involved in the Big Shell incident.

Kaoru Mashiko and Ellen Kohagura
Apparently the designated comedy duo from Osafune Academy, with the obligatory wacky mascot animal (what is this, the 90s?). Kaoru uses the sword Nenekirimaru in the Yakumaru Jigen-Ryu style. Ellen uses a Echizen Yasutsugu with the Taisha-Ryu style.

Origami Yukari and brownshirts.
Head of the Toji and hero, worthy of assassination for some reason. Wields two longswords, Ookanehira and Doujigiri Yasutsuna with the Niten Ichi-Ryu style developed by Miyamoto Musashi.

Her elite guard is, left to right: Satsuki Yomi, a mysterious former Renpu student, Suijin-giri Kanemitsu/Shinjin-Ryu style. Konohana Suzuka, former Ayanokouji martial arts school and aristocrat, Kuji Kanesada sword/Kurama-ryu style. Tsubakuro Yume, also from Ayanokouji, designated jerk, Nikkari-Aoe/Tennen Rishin-Ryu style. Shidou Maki, former Heijou, Usumidori/Shindo Munen-Ryu style.

http://tojinomiko.jp/
https://twitter.com/tojinomiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

This show seems pretty cool so far and the pacing makes a lot more sense if it's 24 episodes.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Is this one of those lesbian cartoons I've heard so much about

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i watched the first episode on a whim, expecting another of the 30 or so largely interchangeable 'schoolgirl with katana' shows. really, until the twist happened that's exactly what the first episode seemed like. however, it's good that i was mistaken and the show is very entertaining thus far.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/TojiEnglish there's TLs of the anime and mobage's gag comics here for mild amusement and you can meet the mobage protag who cameos in every ep so far.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

More anime should just copypaste touhous.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

shark tooth girl...

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
The year is 2030. All anime is... Metal Gear?!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, so the girl she has dream sparring sessions with is the mobage protagonist? that seemingly meaningful dream about how she practices even in her sleep was actually meaningless? that's a bit disappointing.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

wait, so the girl she has dream sparring sessions with is the mobage protagonist? that seemingly meaningful dream about how she practices even in her sleep was actually meaningless? that's a bit disappointing.

I don't think mobage protagonist shows in the anime at all?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i double checked, and instead it is some girl with a single ponytail rather than pigtails. my mistake!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
ep 1:

ep 2:

okay pretend i said "every ep" a week ago

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
her friend with the hoodie that has holes for her twintails is the one who really deserves a role though

KNIFE

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

she's good!!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
The first episode was pretty boring and generic except for the last 90 seconds, but 2 and 3 picked up from that 90 seconds and ran with it in a good way. Hopefully it continues to improve from here.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Still liking the surrounding stuff but the fights have been pretty meh so far, they really seemed unable or unwilling to show short girl actually swinging her stupid huge sword this episode.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

huh, I wasn't expecting this to be Anime Sword Girl Enemy of the State.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like how they had to make the official series description incredibly dry and boring in order to avoid spoiling the twist.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

We'll have to give the post-Land of the Lustrous era time to kick in before this becomes widely considered as unacceptable, but this show may be one of the last examples of what jarring 2D to 3D character model swaps looks like. Like holy cow does it already feel goofy to see this in 2018.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

I like how they had to make the official series description incredibly dry and boring in order to avoid spoiling the twist.
And the OP!

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

We'll have to give the post-Land of the Lustrous era time to kick in before this becomes widely considered as unacceptable, but this show may be one of the last examples of what jarring 2D to 3D character model swaps looks like. Like holy cow does it already feel goofy to see this in 2018.

The last good 3d in 2d anime was GitS and some mecha shows. Everything else is so consistently poo poo that I've given up criticizing it.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

AnacondaHL posted:

I didn’t look too closely at the mobage myself but I saw people saying they’re the same models in the show and game

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

*hazel voice* toji no miko is a lesbian

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they already made a the fugitive anime

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As far as 3D models used in anime go, they're pretty good. I assume it's because they're reusing the game models.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Kyte posted:

As far as 3D models used in anime go, they're pretty good. I assume it's because they're reusing the game models.

Imo, using 3d models for characters in a primarily 2d show when said characters have been 2d the entire rest of the show except a couple fight scenes is lazy and jarringly noticable. Animators have been putting out fantastic fight scenes on a budget for decades. I'm not asking for insane sakuga-tier stuff, but at least make an effort.

It almost feels like the same problem as all the lovely indie games that get onto steam. The accessibility of game engines and stock assets mean we get tons of half-baked garbage that are made quickly and cheaply, so their margins are a lot higher than if they spent the time improving the engine and making better assets. This isn't pointed at people who pour their soul into a game only for it to end up lovely anyway (god bless the Divine Cybermancy guys).

3d in anime seems to be a low-cost shortcut whose cost savings outweight their effect on a show's quality. Idk if it's a production is hard issue, or money grubbing jackasses in a boardroom issue, but I really hate when shows do that.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
They've been using the models on and off since episode one though?

For example in the part where the girls get off the truck and bow to the trucker they're 3D models.

And yes production is hard scheduling is harder and this is a 26 episode show.
In most cases quality issues have more to do with time than money.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 29, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the scenes are choreographed with the help of a swordsmanship advisor who tweets about all the fights, so that authenticity is cool and if 3d helps enable that i can understand the appeal

https://twitter.com/zefu_kai

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
When the 3D is used for long action shots it generally looks okay and the fight choreography really is pretty neat. It's just those rare times when it lingers on them too long that it gets distracting.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
yeah i agree, there's a line to walk there where you dont want like, closeups/lingering mugshots of 3D models. there's stuff they could potentially smooth over for BDs. Brave Witches had a lot of egregious 3dcg that ended up completely smoothed over or redrawn in the BDs, so I'm excited to rewatch that sometime

ep 4 is the best yet, as it's Kaoru and Ellen's time to shine and the 2v2 is real good. turns out their cute mascot isn't just looks either

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I liked their tactical retreat.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Decent fights and no obviously awful cgi characters this ep?? :monocle:

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
wow, but we had that last week too. how boring!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There were definitely awful cgi characters last ep

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
at least their actual adversaries are starting to do more than stand around in an office.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Ellen sort of rules in this episode.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

hey, kaname's mom, is good

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this is totally an allegory for abe being a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Huh I thought things seem to be reaching a conclusion, but apparently this is a 24 episode show.

• Locked thread