Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoiHX9azZeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQHZ0glSyMQ

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Maiden rules!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm trying to learn The Trooper on gee-tar and the gallops are annoying to play

i keep seeing people saying to play them D-U-D-U but not to strike the strings on the first upstroke but that seems like a shitload of extra effort and speed compared to just going DUD DUD DUD DUD

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

Maiden rules!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Run to the hills

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZlDZPYzfm4

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I've been a fan of Iron Maiden for 31 years, started listening to them when I was 10. I finally got a chance to see them live this past June and it was amazing. The highlight of the evening was during Fear of the Dark, when Janick is standing center stage and looks right at me, points and then scruffs his chin acknowledging my huge beard.

At about 2:40 in this video you can see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768haGiM4dM

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son was my poo poo when I was a kid. Still one of my favorite albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AO2IMZfpO8

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Saw them in concert back when Powerslave came out. Was epic.

Saw a recent concert recording and I have to ask: who is that third superfluous guitarist they pulled out of nowhere?

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I have a huge back tatoo of the trooper holding a Confederate flag instead of the union jack

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pookum posted:

I have a huge back tatoo of the trooper holding a Confederate flag instead of the union jack

jesus

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

Saw a recent concert recording and I have to ask: who is that third superfluous guitarist they pulled out of nowhere?

Janick Gers. He replaced Adrien when he left Iron Maiden, they kept him along after Adrien came back. He's fun to watch live with all his guitar flipping and prancing. His dad's name is Boleslaw lmao

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

One in the pink.

One in the stink.

Thumb in urethra?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What has nine arms and sucks?

The Science of Suck
Mar 17, 2009
finally

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Vargatron posted:

A Nonopod

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

flirty dental hygienist posted:

Janick Gers. He replaced Adrien when he left Iron Maiden, they kept him along after Adrien came back. He's fun to watch live with all his guitar flipping and prancing. His dad's name is Boleslaw lmao

I keep hoping they'll bring Blaze Bayley back for some anniversary show, so more people can throw beer cans at him.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Vargatron posted:

C'mon now, Def Leppard was good back in the day.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Stryder posted:

I keep hoping they'll bring Blaze Bayley back for some anniversary show, so more people can throw beer cans at him.

I wonder if people hated Bruce Dickinson when he replaced Paul Di'Anno

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have seen iron maiden live 3 times

they are kick rear end

i've been to a few metal concerts but Maiden was the only one where people built a HUGE MASSIVE bonfire in the grass area of the amphitheater and ran around it while the music was blasting and security was just nervously onlooking

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

I wonder if people hated Bruce Dickinson when he replaced Paul Di'Anno

If Dickenson never joined, IM would have faded into obscurity. Dude has charisma. And is a pilot.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
why is he so afraid of the duck

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
gently caress YEAH UP THE IRONS BITCH :rock:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hasselblad posted:

If Dickenson never joined, IM would have faded into obscurity. Dude has charisma. And is a pilot.

Well, yeah Bruce owns

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

Well, yeah Bruce owns

He did Phantom of the Opera better live than Di'Anno did in the studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhvN8m_VgE

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hasselblad posted:

He did Phantom of the Opera better live than Di'Anno did in the studio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uhvN8m_VgE

Well, yeah, he did everything better than Di'Anno (or Bayley)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I was supposed to see Iron Maiden with Anthrax opening in 1991 and Bruce Dickinson ended up getting some throat malady so they cancelled that part of the tour. I was loving crushed. I never did get to see them live and now I feel like I missed out on the prime years.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

me your dad posted:

I was supposed to see Iron Maiden with Anthrax opening in 1991 and Bruce Dickinson ended up getting some throat malady so they cancelled that part of the tour. I was loving crushed. I never did get to see them live and now I feel like I missed out on the prime years.

They are still good as hell live. I saw them for the first time last year and it was amazing. Even after the tongue or throat cancer, Bruce can still sing. It's a little rough, but he can still belt them out. They guys are old, but they put on one heck of a show. They are doing a new Best of the Beast tour starting in Europe later this year and I'd imagine they'd bring it stateside in 2019.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

flirty dental hygienist posted:

They are still good as hell live. I saw them for the first time last year and it was amazing. Even after the tongue or throat cancer, Bruce can still sing. It's a little rough, but he can still belt them out. They guys are old, but they put on one heck of a show. They are doing a new Best of the Beast tour starting in Europe later this year and I'd imagine they'd bring it stateside in 2019.

:pray:

I hope so, I saw them during the Brave New World Tour and it owned

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

food court bailiff posted:

i'm trying to learn The Trooper on gee-tar and the gallops are annoying to play

i keep seeing people saying to play them D-U-D-U but not to strike the strings on the first upstroke but that seems like a shitload of extra effort and speed compared to just going DUD DUD DUD DUD
At some point in your guitar learning journey, it'll become inevitable to start seeing your right hand as a metronome, moving up and down with the beats. If you choose the first option now, you'll be a way better guitarist way faster.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

are their last two or three albums any good? I stopped listening to maiden after dance of death I think

I love dance of death's album art lol look at this poo poo:

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
In my 7th grade english class the teacher played the entirety of Rime of the Ancient Mariner while the room full of 12 year olds waited patiently

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

UP THE IRONS

I saw them on their somewhere back in time tour a few years ago, which was awesome as hell. Just hit after hit. Bruce is one of the most charismatic frontmen in all of metal, the dudes enthusiasm is infectious.

I think somewhere in time is my favorite album of theirs, they started using synths more I think which gives it a proggy feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gxm1m2jus

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 24, 2018

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002

romanowski posted:

are their last two or three albums any good? I stopped listening to maiden after dance of death I think

I love dance of death's album art lol look at this poo poo:

Final Frontier is solid. Book of Souls is good but a little bloated. Like, it didn't *need* to be a double album but at this point, what producer is going to argue with them?

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

I was at fourth night (added show) Long Beach Arena on the Powerslave tour. Much of that show can be found on "Live After Death".

I know I'm old. Go ahead and remind me. I also saw them in San Bernardino on the "Final Frontier" tour. Great loving band!

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

free hubcaps posted:

UP THE IRONS

I think somewhere in time is my favorite album of theirs, they started using synths more I think which gives it a proggy feel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47gxm1m2jus

Wasted Years is the best Maiden song imo

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Hasselblad posted:

Powerslave brother! I remember when Jim Ladd was the only dj who would give them airplay in LA.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Wasted Years is the best Maiden song imo

Damone does a great cover of this tune on "Out Here All Night".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Joakim Brecht posted:

At some point in your guitar learning journey, it'll become inevitable to start seeing your right hand as a metronome, moving up and down with the beats. If you choose the first option now, you'll be a way better guitarist way faster.

...really? i mean i'm sure i would because like i said it's faster and requires more control but honestly i've played classical piano pretty seriously for almost three decades so i've got a pretty good innate sense of time and have never thought "this would be way easier if i was keeping time with my picking hand regardless of what's being played"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Somewhere in Time is their best album, I will never budge on this.

• Locked thread