Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Iron Maiden are garbage in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

symbolic posted:

Somewhere in Time is their best album, I will never budge on this.

I agree

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
I recently counted that I think I have the song Iron Maiden at least 16 separate times across CDs, vinyls, Blu Rays and DVDs

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

symbolic posted:

Definitely their best Bruce album. Killers has always been my favorite. Paul was a great singer

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Iron Crowned posted:

Maiden rules!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

symbolic posted:

:hai:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Navin Johnson posted:

I was at fourth night (added show) Long Beach Arena on the Powerslave tour. Much of that show can be found on "Live After Death".

I know I'm old. Go ahead and remind me. I also saw them in San Bernardino on the "Final Frontier" tour. Great loving band!

You lucky bastard. I just about wore that VHS tape out as a teenager. I’ve just brought Bruce’s autobiography with me on holiday to Gran Canaria, going to start reading it on the beach tomorrow.

This is the best thread in the whole of forums history.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

...really? i mean i'm sure i would because like i said it's faster and requires more control but honestly i've played classical piano pretty seriously for almost three decades so i've got a pretty good innate sense of time and have never thought "this would be way easier if i was keeping time with my picking hand regardless of what's being played"

i'm just gonna post because I've played piano for years and plink around on a guitar (you're probably better than me) - to me it sounds like an issue of developing a bad habit now which might make it difficult to play more complex stuff later? I guess idk how much more complex it gets than Iron Maiden though.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my favorite album was always seventh son of a seventh son because it was weird and kinda spooky at points. I'm kinda surprised so many people here apparently think somewhere in time is their best album though, I kind of always figured the consensus "best" album was powerslave

worst album is probably one of the blaze bayley albums but I've never actually listened to virtual xi and the x factor still has several good songs

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

symbolic posted:

You misspelled Number of the Beast. (I had it on vinyl... twice)
Just because it was the most popular does not mean it was not their best work.

Powerslave was solid as hell though. After that the music just got a bit too polished, too "clean" IMO.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 24, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

romanowski posted:

my favorite album was always seventh son of a seventh son because it was weird and kinda spooky at points. I'm kinda surprised so many people here apparently think somewhere in time is their best album though, I kind of always figured the consensus "best" album was powerslave

It's pretty close for all three of them though, personally I go Somewhere in Time, Powerslave, and Seventh Son, in that order

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Choosing the best Iron Maiden album is like Sophie's Choice

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

It's not like "all of them" is really an option here

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

virtual xi

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

hosed-Up Little Dog posted:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-100-greatest-metal-albums-of-all-time-w486923/iron-maiden-the-number-of-the-beast-1982-w487005

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

now that I think about it I had a virtual xi poster in my room despite never having listened to it

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Hasselblad posted:

You misspelled Number of the Beast. (I had it on vinyl... twice)
Just because it was the most popular does not mean it was not their best work.

Powerslave was solid as hell though. After that the music just got a bit too polished, too "clean" IMO.

This, Number of the beast is loving amazing.

I grew up with a kid who lived next door to Bruce's mother, It's how I got into Maiden and Number of the Beast was the first track/album I ever owned. I finally got to seem them live in London for the first time last year and it was loving amazing.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Iron Maiden is really loving good. Went to see them, like, a decade ago now, and Bruce had amazing stage presence.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Maiden rules. Bruce's solo work is also top notch

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I didn’t grow up with Maiden and I wouldn’t say I’m a fan, but every song I listen to I’m like “drat these guys own”

Edit: it’s like one of those bands that never exploded to the top of mainstream consciousness but they’re super solid and have a long career I guess

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Number of the Beast is the best but Powerslave is a real close second.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Is there no love for Piece of Mind?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Powerslave is best, Brave New world is pretty up there

I acutally dont mind some of the Blaze Bayley tracks- nowhere near as good as Dickinson but X Factor has some bangers

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

romanowski posted:

are their last two or three albums any good? I stopped listening to maiden after dance of death I think

I love dance of death's album art lol look at this poo poo:

this was supposed to just be placeholder art like "here's the idea i came up with, lemme know if you guys like the concept and i'll turn it into an actual album cover" and maiden just said "GREAT WE'LL TAKE IT"

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

romanowski posted:

I'm kinda surprised so many people here apparently think somewhere in time is their best album though, I kind of always figured the consensus "best" album was powerslave
Powerslave is really good, but as far as I'm concerned, Somewhere in Time is the perfect amalgamation of early 80s, guitar-driven heavy Maiden and Seventh Son synth-laden, more progressive Maiden.

CAAAAAAAUGHT SOOOOOOMEWHEEEEEERE INNNNNN TIIII-IIIIIIME :black101:

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm fairly certain "The Trooper" was all I listened to for a week when I first discovered it.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Also, this is one of my faves, along with The Trooper, and Dance of Death.

And Hallowed by thy Name.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I wish more people would bring their daughters to the slaughter

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

imo Number of the Beast, Piece of Mind, and Powerslave are the quintessential maiden albums, but of the three Piece of Mind is probably the most underappreciated

e: lol I forgot that the trooper came from piece of mind. but still

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46TKmvPDGGs

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Seventh Son is probably my favorite album, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. They are such a good live band, I've seen them 4 times I believe now. I've gotten my 5 year old into them and he wants an Eddie stuffed toy for his birthday. I have no idea if they even make them, but someone should.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hallowed by thy Name.

This.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Seventh Son is probably my favorite album, but you can't really go wrong with any of them. They are such a good live band, I've seen them 4 times I believe now. I've gotten my 5 year old into them and he wants an Eddie stuffed toy for his birthday. I have no idea if they even make them, but someone should.

https://www.google.com/search?q=iro...w=1487&bih=1035

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

I have all the Eddie figurines on my desk at work. :ssh:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Hallowed by thy Name.

I wish I could listen to Hallowed for the first time again. It blew my 14 year old mind that someone could make metal so hauntingly beautiful. I think that was the point I switched from SlipKnot to Maiden and never looked back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I know I have a Todd McFarland Trooper setup in a box somewhere.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I'm listening to seventh son right now and it's actually even better than I remember

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vP2hFFV57E

loving chills

RIP Clive Burr

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 24, 2018

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

romanowski posted:

I'm listening to seventh son right now and it's actually even better than I remember

HEAR THE MANDRAAAKE SCRRRREEEEEEEEAAAAM

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I have all the Eddie figurines on my desk at work. :ssh:

All of them?! Wtf?!

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

symbolic posted:

hell yeah, also the first cassette tape i bought 1986

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Blaze and Paul both did solo shows in the bar i used to work in and they're both massive divas and are dicks to the staff.

• Locked thread