Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
is there a reason they're running a cup race on a Saturday night? i wanted to watch Daytona 2.0 because i'm dumb and that and the 500 are the only races i tune into, only to find out that they raced tonight and i totally missed it. is that normal for the week of 4th of July?

ya see when I was growing up it was always trucks on friday, busch on saturday, cup on sunday. it's my fault for not paying attention to literally anything NASCAR for a decade but i'm kinda bummed dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

So this was a destruction derby right?

Daytona and Talladega races tend to be because they are super speedways and they are driven with the throttle down almost the entire lap

this means unlike other tracks, they could really become unsafe and unstable and go flying into the crowd and it becomes increasingly difficult to block 250 mph hunks of metal

so in interest of driver and fan safety, car engines are artificially choked with restrictor plates in order to limit horsepower and cap the max speed of cars

unfortunately for driver safety this means that cars cant really outpace eachother so everyone bunches up, and if an accident happens then it's easy to wreck the field

nascar

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

is there a reason they're running a cup race on a Saturday night? i wanted to watch Daytona 2.0 because i'm dumb and that and the 500 are the only races i tune into, only to find out that they raced tonight and i totally missed it. is that normal for the week of 4th of July?

ya see when I was growing up it was always trucks on friday, busch on saturday, cup on sunday. it's my fault for not paying attention to literally anything NASCAR for a decade but i'm kinda bummed dudes

Because people having to work on Monday morning.

That said, good winner

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That #20 car livery is ugly as hell

Just grey TOYOTA everywhere

Also lmao his car is smoking like crazy on the finish line

exploded mummy posted:

Daytona and Talladega races tend to be because they are super speedways and they are driven with the throttle down almost the entire lap

this means unlike other tracks, they could really become unsafe and unstable and go flying into the crowd and it becomes increasingly difficult to block 250 mph hunks of metal

so in interest of driver and fan safety, car engines are artificially choked with restrictor plates in order to limit horsepower and cap the max speed of cars

unfortunately for driver safety this means that cars cant really outpace eachother so everyone bunches up, and if an accident happens then it's easy to wreck the field

nascar

Yeah I know its a restrictor plate race but drat

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hot drat

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

iospace posted:

Because people having to work on Monday morning.

That said, good winner

oh so because it's a night race it would be too late to run it on a sunday night? that makes sense, but that also doesn't seem to stop every other major sport from an 8-8:30pm kickoff/start on a sunday night. fuckin nascar

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Yeah it's because of the holiday weekend

The night Daytona race has been scheduled for the first Saturday in July for like ever

And before then it was on the Fourth itself

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Yeah it's because of the holiday weekend

The night Daytona race has been scheduled for the first Saturday in July for like ever

And before then it was on the Fourth itself

yeah, in the end it all comes down to the fact that i'm retarded and don't pay attention. i wanted to watch this race since the 500 so the least i could have done was look at the schedule haha

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What stupid loving race. Loved it!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Who are you people

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

oh so because it's a night race it would be too late to run it on a sunday night? that makes sense, but that also doesn't seem to stop every other major sport from an 8-8:30pm kickoff/start on a sunday night. fuckin nascar

Most Cup night races are on Satuday unless it's a holiday race where the holiday falls on Monday (Memorial Day, Labor Day). The 4th was in the middle of the week this time around, so.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

That was the plateiest plate race that ever plate raced.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

dentist toy box posted:

That was the plateiest plate race that ever plate raced.

How many applebee's burned down?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Even knowing it would happen I laughed at that crash watching the recording.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

Most Cup night races are on Satuday unless it's a holiday race where the holiday falls on Monday (Memorial Day, Labor Day). The 4th was in the middle of the week this time around, so.

good to know, yeah as soon as it was mentioned I realized that the schedule was probably different for night races.

just finished watching as many highlight clips as I can find. yeah, that race seemed daytona as gently caress

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Half the field DNF'd.

:laffo:

(Somewhere Tony Stewart is facepalming hard)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

If my in-person racing season has to only be two races this season because my boss screwed up my vacation and I'm now flying home during Eldora, that was a pretty alright finale.

Also, I misspoke in Discord. That's five first time winners I've seen live in 25 Cup races- Kenseth, Biffle, Ragan, Almirola, Jones.

good to know, yeah as soon as it was mentioned I realized that the schedule was probably different for night races.

just finished watching as many highlight clips as I can find. yeah, that race seemed daytona as gently caress

Another problem with Daytona in July is the area is highly prone to afternoon thunderstorms which, along with the heat, were two reasons the race used to start at 10 a.m.. The one year they did run the 400 on Sunday nighy, which was the first race in NBC's current TV deal and they did it to allow the New York fireworks to air Saturday, the race didn't start until 11:30 pm and finish until about 2:30 a.m. because of rain.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 8, 2018

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm surprised they got both races in on schedule since July is thunderstorm every day for a month+ here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

iospace posted:

How many applebee's burned down?

not enough.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I love anecdotes like this:

https://twitter.com/nascarman_rr/status/1015669014469672961

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Chip lucked into Dixon in Indy so it's a bit of a wash.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Quotin' from a few pages back

kidcoelacanth posted:

The yellow line loving sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHQ-_tvB1d4

I hear ya.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Zaphod42 posted:

That #20 car livery is ugly as hell

Just grey TOYOTA everywhere

Naw, that car is pretty slick.

iospace posted:

(Somewhere Tony Stewart is facepalming hard)

Tony was too busy racing a sprint car race with Dave Blaney last night to go to Daytona.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Suarez DNF sucked, but the guys I don't like got wrecked and watching Stenhouse win the first two stages was fun

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Stenhouse drove like a loving idiot and he’s gonna pay for it the next couple of months

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

The local news around here is wigging out. Erik Jones is from a tiny tiny TINY little village about 5 miles away and this is very exciting for them.

A whole lot of people watched him grow up on the local tracks around here.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Ungratek posted:

Stenhouse drove like a loving idiot and he’s gonna pay for it the next couple of months

This gets said about a different driver after every plate race.

It's almost as if plate racing is loving dumb

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

iwentdoodie posted:

I mean, look at what happened to SRA

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

I think Stenhouse is going to catch a lot of stick for problems that Byron caused, ultimately. Wrecky might have been the horn but little Lord Byron did nobody any favors trying to lead the line.

Edit: And I think people are really missing the point here, that Erik Jones unleashed probably the finest on track/victory lane interview mullet in loving decades. Absolutely majestic.

mischief fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 9, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hi hello it's 2018 and dirt to daytona is still a fuckin fantastic game

well anyway see ya

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

well anyway see ya
This is a true statement

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

well anyway see ya

Twitch?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/NoahGragson/status/1016125621636919296
https://twitter.com/Goldberg/status/1016164898194145280

A bit later...

https://twitter.com/nascarcasm/status/1016334342212251648
https://twitter.com/Ryan_Truex/status/1016342715179597825
https://twitter.com/CoreyLaJoie/status/1016343351069683713

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gotta get creative if you want viewers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i live on campus now and my connection sucks too much dick to reliably do much of anything here

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

Gotta get creative if you want viewers

Noah's going to win a race in the Southeast and then all of a sudden:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9udAirjw3U

...Goldberg makes the long walk down from the press box and onto the racetrack.

...or alternately, they put him on staff and just let him do it the next time he wins and then fire him.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
There's some new Pennzoil commercials that will start playing tomorrow, but here's a sneak peek for you guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDx_FZeyPjA
All the Pennzoil drivers (:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVlyhqPa6FQ
Just Logano (:15)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

That Helio car is still so loving good looking

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The charlotte roval has now gone full retard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

shame on an IGA posted:

The charlotte roval has now gone full retard.

I wish they'd cut into the infield wall and make an actual effort to have something unique there and not just another drat chicane.

For example. Turn it into a hard braking zone and passing area.