Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

He will be! In the booth. At some races?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The guy from the Eminem song

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

...and?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

"Is it an eggplant?" 2018: For Sale By Owner

I thought that article contained this:

...in which the first sentence grabbed my attention.

Oh lmao, that is indeed stupid as hell.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Yeah, it was posted on Twitter and then disappeared, but I saw an article linked immediately afterward and screenshot /= story. I thought it was the same thing. :downs:

Yeah the only thing that caught my eye in the article was "Danica doesn't want to mentor young drivers" and that seemed insanely obvious to me.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Holy poo poo shove the caution flag up your rear end

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Black flag Dillon

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bubba Wallace's interviews make Dale Jr look like Scott Dixon

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I spent the last third of the race terrified Newman would win so I am thrilled with this outcome.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

Are you some kind of neckist?

I'm a card carrying We Landed On The Moon-ist

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ratings are bad for everything, across the board. What would've been poo poo NASCAR ratings 20 years ago are now basically the best any network is gonna get.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

I know a few months ago we all go into it about Danica, but I think it's worth bringing up that when she got into that wreck yesterday my first thought was "please don't be hurt." Yea, it wasn't a particularly bad crash, but it would have been a terribly poetic ending to her career. Reading/hearing her interviews this week has just furthered our understanding of her interest in brand building, something that was very unlikely to be helped by one more race. It was a cash grab from someone that can't possibly need the money she got from finishing 35th. There was no upside to it yesterday, clearly the passion is gone, she's financially secure, and she doesn't want to tie her brands to her racing history- so what's there to gain? I really, REALLY, wish that she would sit out Indy since we've seen a lot more career/life ending accidents there than in NASCAR in recent years.

Do we have to rehash this again? The answer hasn't changed.

Peanut, don't even loving start.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

No, there's no need to rehash the same points, but I thought it worth mentioning that I held my breath for a moment yesterday.

To be fair to - I know we disagree on a lot of this, but I am also not looking forward to watching her at Indy. She hasn't driven an open-wheel car in seven years, hasn't driven a DW12 ever, and this new aerokit has drastically reduced downforce. I can't imagine anything good happening.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Peanut President posted:

It's really funny how I saw that guys post and just scrolled by and wasn't even gonna answer and you're already mad. Get help please

Spend a few months not losing your poo poo at my every post and I'll believe this.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Make it so that if you finish the Xfinity race off the lead lap, you start the Cup race that many laps down.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Kyle Busch, obviously, but I think the safest thing to do in that situation is to get to pit road ASAP, even if that means going in reverse.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big nipples big life posted:

This is interesting

https://twitter.com/nascaronnbc/status/970808983060545536?s=21

It only flexes at speed so pre and post race inspections don't catch it. Pretty genius to drop it at the beginning of the western swing since everybody has their cars built for the next 3 races.

Welcome to NASCAR, Adrian Newey

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

There'll only be four to debate because know Gordon will be the fifth.

How can I stuff the ballot box for Harry Gant

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I'd be willing to accept Dale Jr being outed as a child rapist in exchange for Kyle never winning again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

Indy already had streaming setup for next year, but it'll be through NBC's streaming platform (you won't need a cable sub to get it though)

You're talking about NBC Sports Gold, right? It won't carry any of the races.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

I know there have been certain people who have been vocal about Indycar going full OTT with its streaming service, but at the end of the day the easiest and cheapest way to get a lot of people watching your product is to have as many races as possible on OTA broadcast television. I'd watch a race on TV—with commercials!—over a sketchy stream any day of the week.

First off - just do both! F1 is launching an OTT service in the US, but they also made a deal with ESPN (which isn't OTA, but is close enough, and is as good as F1 is gonna get). OTT is quite obviously the future, and people clearly don't want to watch ads if they don't have to. Secondly - eyeballs ain't worth what they used to be. The advantage of OTT is that a fan is paying NASCAR directly, rather than NASCAR having to convince a bunch of companies to pay them just for exposure, which is harder and harder to do these days. And as much as you guys want to have a reason to criticize NASCAR, this problem isn't unique to them.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SpitztheGreat posted:

It's not just sports, it's all the other poo poo you need to buy to watch that one show you like:

Netflix
Amazon Prime
HBO GO
Playstation Vue
MLB App
NASCAR App
etc

It's not unthinkable that you would need all of these apps/services, or more, to replace what you use to get in one place- and you very well could be paying more for it. Eventually consumers are going to either revolt, or just give up because they need to have 10 apps. I really don't see how OTT services are going to be profitable enough by themselves that cable television will be cut out. If the NFL has struggled to launch their own service, then I don't have faith it anyone else pulling it off.

What makes you think the NFL is struggling to launch a service, or even trying? They are still big enough that traditional broadcasters pay them billions without hesitating, and important enough that fans will subscribe to whatever they need to watch NFL.

Cable TV is dying and OTT is its replacement, this is largely indisputable. The problems you’ve posed are all solvable. The idea of cable sticking around as a force long-term is laughable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Well this is the worst thing I’ve ever heard in my life

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

NASCAR probably bought ARCA because it’s illegal for an ARCA race to be unentertaining. Jesus Christ, what a finish.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I felt bad for being on my phone at this wedding but HELL YEAH SRA

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hell yeah SRA fight the man

Norns posted:

Legalize all drugs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’d probably help if NASCAR actually catered to NASCAR fans instead of people who stopped watching 10 years ago and aren’t coming back.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gret posted:

Only 23% of the audience are 18-49. That's pretty terrible.

Isn’t that like...this thread?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

No, hes the Sidney Crosby of NASCAR

Wow this Kyle Busch fella sounds awesome

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I’m just realizing I once had that as a kid.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It’s amazing how we have three huge races on one day and two of them are so bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sex Weirdo posted:

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

Get rid of everything people hate and stop trying to be bigger than the NFL

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Luckily there might not be a "they" to speak of if the morons sell it

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this assumes that whoever buys it is smarter than briance france. i'm not sure this is a safe assumption.

I would argue that it's nearly impossible to be stupider than Brian France.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Fauxhawk Express posted:

watch them sell it to Bernie Ecclestone or the McMahons or something

What I wouldn't give to live in a world where Bernie runs NASCAR...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is america kid. we elected donald fuckin trump as president. never underestimate the idiocy of this country.

also there's the possibility of it being sold to someone who is just flat-out malicious. that is sure as poo poo not uncommon. i could totally see some dude taking it over, milking it for everything its worth to line his own pockets while it burned to the ground, like the dude who is in charge of sears. or a leveraged buyout that murderkills it a la toys r us.

Lmfao why would anyone use loving NASCAR for that purpose

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Do NOT make me hate Truex, he is the only man who stands between us and Kyle.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

NASCAR driver posts something on Twitter that actually reflects his opinion, fans attack driver, and then complain that drivers are corporate drones.

OK

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The opinion is literally "I don't think people have the right to express themselves" so idk why I'm supposed to respect his ability to express that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Also gently caress you if you think kneeling has anything to do with disrespecting the flag.

That's the most staggering thing about this, the racists have conned the entire country into not even questioning the assertion that the national anthem is little more than WWE entrance music for the troops.