Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i watched the finish on youtube and all i gotta say is i wish dillon took himself out with armadillo and the race between hamlin and wallace was for the win instead of second.

if wallace starts putting up consistently good runs i might actually watch this bad dumb sport every now and then for the first time since 2013.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

The race was good. Also no one loving cares if you don't watch nascar

i love when someone gets overly defensive about something and then claim 'no one cares if you don't watch it'.

i mean gently caress i even said i might start watching again but i guess that's just not good enough.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Norns posted:

No you just have a habbit going into threads for things you don't like and telling people that you don't like it and you don't play it or you don't watch it and no one loving cares

look at this extremely not-caring post

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

kidcoelacanth posted:

But... but where will names be made?

bring it back to the early-mid 2000's where seemingly everyone came from usac

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/967066410278162437

"I made a joke on a podcast and you referenced it in an interview YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH US ANYMORE!"

hamlin has been a fuckin bitch since almost the beginning of his career. i actually started off as a fan of his at the beginning, but the way he bitched and moaned when nationwide series drivers dared to actually race him while he already had a full-time cup ride with gibbs made me dump my fandom of his really drat fast. nice to see he hasn't changed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

UUUHHHHH

:yikes:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's been 20 years, but remember when Square D spent money for Kenny Wallace to run midpack all year?

no i don't remember this, as bobby hamilton is the only square d driver that mattered

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

I just hope "not a good driver" and not "health problems" is the reason.

given roush's utter irrelevance anymore i dunno if you can even make a definitive assessment of the ability of any of their drivers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gret posted:

Only 23% of the audience are 18-49. That's pretty terrible.

when the boomers die so will nascar

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sex Weirdo posted:

What do you think the right decisions would be though? People like to talk about aero packages and race scheduling but I'm not convinced that would be enough.

at this point i don't think it would be. there's a lot of people who left and likely won't come back no matter what, i'm probably one of those because i have been away from the sport so long and just do not find myself missing it at all. like maybe if they axed the chase entirely, pared the schedule down to 28 races or less a year and ditch a lot of the same-y cookie cutters, gave the cars way more mechanical grip and way less aero grip with tires that actually wore, and just in general stopped trying to spice the racing up with stupid fuckin gimmicks like gwc and stages, maybe i would give it another shot, but lmfao @ the idea that they'd do any one of these things let alone all of them.

i don't know that nascar dies outright but it's certainly never going to be a premier thing in popular culture like it was for a while. and hell it may yet die entirely if shitfucks who know jack nothing about racing like brian france keep running the show.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Luckily there might not be a "they" to speak of if the morons sell it

this assumes that whoever buys it is smarter than briance france. i'm not sure this is a safe assumption.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I would argue that it's nearly impossible to be stupider than Brian France.

this is america kid. we elected donald fuckin trump as president. never underestimate the idiocy of this country.

also there's the possibility of it being sold to someone who is just flat-out malicious. that is sure as poo poo not uncommon. i could totally see some dude taking it over, milking it for everything its worth to line his own pockets while it burned to the ground, like the dude who is in charge of sears. or a leveraged buyout that murderkills it a la toys r us.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wasn't there a thing ages ago where they asked all the drivers what political party they were registered as and jeff gordon was the only democrat

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

run it again in 2020 imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Looking forward to what happens when Dale Earnhardt comes back from the dead and races a DSA-sponsored car

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hi hello it's 2018 and dirt to daytona is still a fuckin fantastic game

well anyway see ya

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i live on campus now and my connection sucks too much dick to reliably do much of anything here

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hot tip: the shortened versions of sears point and watkins glen that nascar use are in fact the better versions of each

in fact iirc the dogleg at watkins glen was added years after the track was built, with the current nascar version being the original version of the track excepting the bus stop

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

that og version looks gross so good on 'em for changing it while keeping the beauty that is the esses and turn 5

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i never hated rick allen as much as everyone else apparently does. maybe the waltrips and bill weber just lowered my standards so much that i'm fine with anyone who isn't them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i have not watched a nascar race since 2013 but might tune in to the glen this weekend, and holy moly looking at the drivers in the series i feel so fuckin lost. i can't recall a 5 year period where this many drivers i knew all left.

also i will certainly watch the charlotte roval race because that poo poo is gonna be a fantastically awful mess.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

holy poo poo brian france finally made nascar entertaining again

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

So...uh...:
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1027237188466036738

:tif:

In better news, SMI is putting a policy in place which allows fans who can't attend a postponed race the chance to exchange their ticket for a future race at an SMI-owned track: http://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/weather-faq/

e- Junyer had to go back and amend his podcast for the week after the Brian France news dropped. I'm eager to hear the new version.

it's a sure sign that a series is healthy when a team is rumored to shut down a year after it won the championship lmfao

but hey maybe things will be better if they make the chase more pointlessly convoluted next year, surely this time it'll work

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jimmie gonna do that thing he does where he runs like poo poo and then wins the race except he's gonna do it with the championship instead

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

maybe if brian france fucks off or is forced out they'll finally take a ton of downforce off the cars and give them more mechanical grip so that they finally fix the issue of immediately slowing way the gently caress down as soon as you so much as sniff the dirty air from the car in front that has plagued the series since the car of tomorrow first came into being

also maybe i can snap my fingers and make unicorns fly out of my urethra

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the one on the right is wearing the most white trash thing in existence.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CactusWeasle posted:

Kahne's career just seemed to fall off a cliff at some point. It's hard to believe the Kahne of 2004 or so ended up with no Cups

most drivers have a peak period of a few years to a decade and then quickly drop off. you could point at guys like jimmie or harvick as counterpoints, but the vast majority of drivers aren't them. kahne's career trajectory is not so different from guys like jeff burton, bobby labonte, dale jr., etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

NASCAR can't change the schedule until 2021 so :lol: here comes the All-Star package:

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar...ent=autoweekusa

What was the logic for the track sanctioning agreement anyway? Another "Brian France Pretends He's Football" dickstep? :tif:

lmfao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the ideal nascar schedule would be the daytona 500 and then 35 races at the charlotte roval

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

The Kimoa Kid posted:

And then cancel NASCAR because everyone died

oh how i wish

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1032411192038383617
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1032417160876843009

:thunk:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nobody makes a rwd v8 except, y'know, the camaro and the mustang but i guess those aren't real?

toyota doesn't i guess but nascar should just say 'gently caress v8s' and let them run the supra with a straight 6 (which is a more rad engine type anyway v8s are overrated as gently caress)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the stupid fuckin race will be the first nascar race i've watched in years

maybe this is the secret to nascar getting people to watch again, just really fuckin dumb ideas for the sake of schadenfreude

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dentist toy box posted:

Don't you come in every few months and say this

i've made one (1) post saying this in the past two years, you're out of your loving mind

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nascar should mandate that any track with two dates runs a road course variant and if it doesn't have one, it doesn't get a second date

especially kansas and the glorious masterpiece that is its roval configuration

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Keep your hands off my Coke Zero 400.

...other than that, yeah, I'm down. The Talladega road course I downloaded for NR2003 years ago was fun.

galaxy brain: make them run the road course for the daytona 500

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

WindyMan posted:

Rovals are normally lovely road courses but there's something about them that seems like they would be a perfect fit for NASCAR.

Sort of the same way that double-negatives should be avoided, but they still get the point across.

i mean if nothing else, it would be an improvement to the schedule to not have a billion identical cookie cutter races

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

now they just need to bring back the island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is not the shitshow i was hoping for thus far :sad:

e: wait how is stanton barrett still a thing