Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

SpitztheGreat posted:

Too bad about LastCar, I was wondering where he had gone too. I really enjoyed that guy.

Probably LARPing in a racing fan fiction of his own design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

No, but it's not going to help when "MTJ/Kyle/Kevin win All The Races" becomes yet another knock on a sport which already has more than enough of them right now.

e- Unless you're a fan of one of the three as I was with Gordon in the '90s. Those years owned and I didn't fully understand the hate until years later when Jimmie did the same thing and it all of a sudden made sense.

Domination isn't a problem for a sport if those dominating are heroes or villains. Kyle Busch is loving polarizing and it's the best thing NASCAR has got right now as far as a rooting interest (for or against), but that's probably it. Martin Truex Jr. doesn't move the needle for me either way; the dude is just loving good. (See also: Dixon, Scott.) It gets boring when the loving good people keep winning races in a way where it's pointless to root for the other guys, knowing that someone like MTJ is just going to stomp the field no matter what happens like at Sonoma this weekend.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

sportsgenius86 posted:

What reason, other than complete randomness or "I liked the guy who used to drive that car" would any fan have to give a poo poo about any of the young drivers now.

NASCAR's issues with promoting young drivers isn't just with Cup drivers hogging the spotlight in Trucks and Xfinity. There's also the deeper problem about local tracks and regional series not getting the same kind of attendance or attention that they might have used to.

Indycar is killing it with the MRTI and having the junior series race with the big boys, since it basically forces fans to see and know the good drivers coming up. By the time they get to Indycar they'll have a base level of marketability, more than someone just appearing out of thin air.

That's what happens when fresh new talent makes it way up to Trucks. Like, who the hell are these kids getting a ride and why should I care about them? It's incredible, but not at all surprising, that someone like Brett Moffitt can't find enough sponsorship to pursue a championship in Trucks that he's clearly capable of competing for and getting the exposure that comes with that. How many people even knew about him before he got to Trucks? Because sponsors clearly don't.

NASCAR needs to give its regional series a lot more prominence and coverage, so that more known drivers come in at the bottom. Make triple-header weekends exclusively for K&N and Trucks and Xfinity, or do more K&N/Cup weekends like at Sonoma. Make the fans and television viewers and streaming audiences get to know these kids so there's at least name recognition if and when they make it to Trucks.

I had a big ol' rant in the Discord about what it would take for me, A Racing Enthusiast in Los Angeles, to make it out for a Cup race in Fontana. These days it needs to be the same reason why I'd go to Irwindale or Ventura or Long Beach for the GP: Give me lots and lots of racing to watch. One Cup race isn't going to cut it anymore; I'd like to see Xfinity run same day and maybe throw in a few SST races while you're at it. But even then I'd prefer to go to Irwindale first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_3kkXKkvyA

Yesterday, I watched this race of the K&N West series running at Irwindale last year. As I was watching it, I realized three things:

1) That this is good racing and it was much more likely that I would go to Irwindale for this event next year;
2) Todd Gilliland (the race winner here) is someone who races in Trucks, and I immediately felt a better connection to him as someone who raced at one of my local tracks;
3) Goddamn the NAPA colors look loving good on a race car don't they?

NASCAR needs to get #1 back somehow, but if they don't get #2 happening with more drivers and more series, NASCAR is even more hosed than any of us can imagine.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Quotin' from a few pages back

kidcoelacanth posted:

The yellow line loving sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHQ-_tvB1d4

I hear ya.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

The charlotte roval has now gone full retard.

I wish they'd cut into the infield wall and make an actual effort to have something unique there and not just another drat chicane.

For example. Turn it into a hard braking zone and passing area.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Ungratek posted:

It's weird to me with the playoff points now. I think it would work better if they went back to the 10 race no points reset, but you brought your playoff points in. Right now playoff points are way, way too useful. I understand that it's supposed to make the regular season useful, but it is so much that they may as just get rid of the playoffs because 2 or 3 drivers are going to skate to the final anyways.

In the pre-chase points system, the top handful of drivers, usually the leader or top 2-3, were untouchable heading into the the final stretch of races. You're saying that's also the case now. So what's the complaint if that's how it's always been, really?

If anything, putting so much emphasis on playoff points and winning races throughout the year and throughout the playoffs, only to completely throw those concepts out the window in the final race, makes absolutely no sense to me. I still maintain that points earned through the playoffs should carry through to the final race, where it's either a winner take all (winner "advances" to the next phase of the championship—winning it, in this case) or whoever is ahead on points if none of the top 4 wins. You'd still get the drama but it would keep things more consistent and avoid potential last-race clusterfucks.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bubba, giving an interview after coming out of the infield care center:

quote:

They gave me an ultrasound, no twins or anything.

quote:

I'm used to turning left there, Dave.

:allears:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's a sure sign that a series is healthy when a team is rumored to shut down a year after it won the championship lmfao

Nah man, it's just making sure everyone else in the field has a chance to win some races. Perfectly fair and good and normal

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CactusWeasle posted:

I guess it was worth a try :shrug:

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1029389698706366465

Don't you loving dare, Alo

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

lol gently caress Kyle Busch

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

shame on an IGA posted:

E: OTOH Velodrome cycling is already basically that I'll just go watch that

Velodrome cycling, where every race is Bristol, baby!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/jeff_gluck/status/1037039468308443136?s=19

quote:

I would have to borrow money to continue as a competitive team

Pretty much says it all. There isn't enough money out there for everyone to stay competitive to the level that NASCAR would like to see.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

NASCAR won't on ovals

Find a way.

You want to put on a show for the fans? That would be a show.

Find a way, you pussies

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/musicfactnews/status/1039355050295021568

Hamilton to Nascar CONFIRMED@!!!!!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/JimmieJohnson/status/1039876291728564224

Fred Alonso to NASCAR confirmed

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/RACERmag/status/1040630706341404672

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/bobpockrass/status/1045401097677025283

:getin:

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

10 Minutes into practice:

43 - Spun in turn 5
10 - Spun into turn 3 wall
11 - damaged car on bus stop turtles
18 - brushed front stretch wall
17 - spun into wall off turn 4

Glorious.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/NASCARonNBC/status/1045714311556026368

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

nascar should mandate that any track with two dates runs a road course variant and if it doesn't have one, it doesn't get a second date

especially kansas and the glorious masterpiece that is its roval configuration

Rovals are normally lovely road courses but there's something about them that seems like they would be a perfect fit for NASCAR.

Sort of the same way that double-negatives should be avoided, but they still get the point across.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean if nothing else, it would be an improvement to the schedule to not have a billion identical cookie cutter races

Indycar's variety split is ideally super speedway/short oval/road course/street course. NASCAR may be on to something if it goes super speedway/short track/roval/road course.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I mean I would be completely loving all-in if NASCAR did a street race as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuQ6AdFc-U

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

exploded mummy posted:

What turn has the first crash

I think they'll get through turn 1 clean but then someone will cock it up on the backstretch chicane.

Also, a new contender for potential crash sites:

https://twitter.com/NASCAR/status/1046101652204376064

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Xfinity time. ROVAL™ time!

ed - stream link died. You're on your own!!

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 29, 2018

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Austin Spindric

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Meanwhile, in the grandstands

https://streamable.com/3pkrg

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Best finish of a NASCAR race in several, several years

More road courses, more rovals please.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Coast at the rear of the SHR train all day, have more gas than anyone else, win the race

Good winner but in the worst way

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1052984828726059009

Looks like we're getting that NASCAR street race we've always wanted

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Some Retired rear end in a top hat

:(

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

SRA can you run the 25 as GMS' car number when you get to Cup?

You may want to sit down. I have some, uh, bad news for you

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/BMSupdates/status/1056273027749552129

Gonna need to find full versions of this for Winter Heat.

https://www.facebook.com/1078154025529348/videos/2260306130711136/

Unfortunately anyone who attended this event was killed when the noxious exhaust fumes suffocated them to death.

RIP me

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Reynold posted:

lol

Something to do with his spoiler being modified. Good, gently caress em. I don't hate Harvick, but I'm sick of this cheating bullshit being so common in the series. I want NASCAR to bring the loving hammer down, disqualify these teams every single time they catch someone stepping slightly outside the rules.

So what happens when they cheat at Homestead

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

bigbillystyle posted:

Yeah that was a pretty ballsy move to pull some spoiler cheating poo poo 2 races before the championship. That's a good way to get bumped out. Unless it is some poo poo they've been doing all season and somebody finally caught on which is why they thought they'd just get away with it.

I think it at this point it may be safe to assume that everyone has been doing it, and winning a NASCAR race is less about driver skill and more about which team can get away with more without crossing the line.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

NASCAR's problem with cheating now isn't that the teams are still cheating. It's that NASCAR has such a tight grip on things that it's very loving expensive to squeeze legitimate extra speed out of a car, and possibly even more expensive to engineer intuitive cheats. It's not Formula 1 levels of spending and development but for what NASCAR racing should all be about the resemblance is bothersome.

iwentdoodie posted:

I assure you that whatever they're getting caught with in NASCAR, a redneck has more creative poo poo done to his loving 4cyl bomber at your local track.

Case in point. Rednecks don't create custom CAD files and fabricate custom rear spoilers just so they can move them a tenth of an inch to the right.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

CBJSprague24 posted:

The reconfiguration of Phoenix may be the dumbest thing on a massive list of dumb things NASCAR/ISC have done in the last 15 years under the guise of improving the sport. I still don't get the point.

Are we talking about trying to improve the racing on the track or the overall fan experience? Because the ISM reconfiguration has done a poo poo-ton to improve the latter. All the grandstands are in some level of shade (important in the desert), easier infield access and much more amenities and activities, and a restart area that looks really loving cool when the cars fan out like they're at Pocono.

None of that helps when the racing is still poo poo, though. That's an altogether different problem.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I fell asleep during the race, legit. I was already pretty tired after a stressful week and a late night out on Saturday, to be fair, but towards the end of Stage 2 the prevailing thought I was having was, "what's the loving point of watching this, really?" There was drama and good racing and all of that, but it wasn't the kind that I felt like I absolutely had to stay awake for.

I can say the playoff system is good because it's been getting me to watch NASCAR more than I have been in the past, albeit it reluctantly. But the whole idea of making a season-long championship all come down to a single race is just not for me. I'm really sick of it and I'm just about to the point of not caring anymore. I will still tune in for the Good Races but I think NASCAR has completely lost me for caring about the whole season.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

only the NHL is probably comparable in collapse but the circumstances are drastically different. the amazing thing about NASCAR hemorrhaging viewers is that they kept doing it despite the best efforts of every major outlet to keep it propped up

The NHL and NASCAR are comparable in that the majority of their "national" audience is regional, with traditional markets and questionable/mediocre/failed expansion efforts. However, at least the NHL had the foresight, or at least the dumb luck, to come into today's sports landscape in a smaller and humbled position to grow moving forward in the "right" way. The NHL has always been the #4 pro sports league in the United States, and it's a spot they're more than happy to be in.

NASCAR, meanwhile, has never had a humbling moment at the level of a cancelled season. There's a difference between a quick blow-up and a slow downward spiral: You know there's only one way forward after a blow-up, whereas you can convince yourself into thinking you can stop the slow death of your sport when the problem is you doing just that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

big nipples big life posted:

Winning the Truck Series championship not enough to prevent Brett Moffitt from losing his ride
Hattori Racing has reached an agreement with a funded driver for the 2019 season

https://autoweek.com/article/nascar/winning-truck-series-championship-not-enough-prevent-brett-moffitt-losing-his-ride

:toot:

Championship-winning Cup team folds one year after winning championship

Truck Series champion without a ride in 2019

Xfinity Series named worst customer service

:tif:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Reynold posted:

If Moffitt doesn't get a ride in trucks or xfinity next year it'll be a loving disgrace.

This makes me continue to appreciate how smart Indycar was to implement the MRTI scholarships and basically guarantee rides the next level up for the junior formula champions. Giving enough money to a Trucks/Xfinity champion to move up to Xfinity/Cup for a few races isn't really viable strategy given the nature of the NASCAR season, but NASCAR has got to do a way better job (read: do something, anything) to invest in the future top drivers that will keep the series relevant.