Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home
In as The Family Channel Car. I wanted to be Fark Fartin but got an error message saying that entry names may not contain profanity. Wouldn't want innocent eyes to see that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- https://twitter.com/TeamHendrick/status/963420243078057987

It's a matter of time before he wins, but if he doesn't, he'll be the biggest bust since Casey Atwood and it will be glorious.
He was really nipping at the heels of a win last year so I think he'll be able to close the deal on one this year.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

DEMAG posted:

I'm betting he and Bowman are total busts. Hendrick is going to be all Jimmie and Jimmie Jr.

Bowman did OK when he filled in for Jr. I mean judging by how the 88 ran for most of the last few years with Jr. in the car he pretty much ran what Jr. probably would have run. Bowman's average finish in 10 races was 19.7. I would hope that putting in a full off season with the team and then the full season that they would be able to put up a little bit better numbers but really an average finish of 19.7 is also ran status if your last name isn't Earnhardt I guess. E: Earnhardt had an average of 16th before hanging it up after 18 races that year. Really I'm just trying to justify defending Bowman because I like him and don't want him to be a bust.

Elliott I don't like but just seeing the way he ran last year he knows all the wrong moves and ways to lose races so I could see him putting at least one together and getting a win. Maybe he'll have like a sophomore slump other than picking up a win but all you need is a win to get in the chase so he would be able to run mediocre all year and still technically have his season be a "success".

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 15, 2018

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I think Phoenix is one of the better tracks in the west, which makes perfect sense that they are going to change the configuration for...reasons. I don't think it'll make much difference since it seems like all they are doing is moving the start/finish, but why mess with a good thing?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

kidcoelacanth posted:

r e̡ d̵ u̵ ͞c e ͠t ̸h ̕e͜ c̛ ͜o ͠s̶ ̶t ͡s

Ahh...they did. Think of all the money they are saving by using the NASCAR mandated airguns. Is this week the first week where some team didn't lose 25 spots in the pits because of an airgun or hose failure?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Nobody else can close a race out this year.

That #78 team really screwed the pooch on that one. I don't know if he would have held on but his short run car was OK so there was a chance if they didn't have such a horrible pit stop. I'm a little surprised nobody tried to stay out before the restart with 6 to go. I think there were like 10 or 11 laps on everyone's tires and only 16 cars on the lead lap. I thought maybe 2 or 3 guys below 7th place or so would try it.

It seems like the last few weeks there has been a lot of emphasis about tire safety and keeping them "at arms reach" while doing pit stops. I don't know why NASCAR is so hard up about this but then takes away a member of the over the wall crew. If you want fewer uncontrolled tires then let an extra man over the wall. Seems pretty simple. Most of the "uncontrolled" tires have been caused by 1 guy trying to secure 2 tires and I say "uncontrolled" because these wildly uncontrolled tires have been like rolling and inch out of the box or an inch out of "arms reach". Luckily those have been the only uncontrolled tires so far but it just seems silly to have safety be the reason they went down to 5 people and want less people on pit road but safety is also compromised when a tire is more likely to end up rolling out of the pit box and end up going off somebody's front bumper and becoming a projectile.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Ungratek posted:

Roush hasn't been good at all, but Stenhouse runs decent when he actually has a good car. Bayne was barely top 20. Makes sense to bring in Kenseth to figure out some things for the program

Between Stenhouse and Bayne their average finishing results are actually pretty close with Stenhouse at 21 and Bayne at 23.8 but I feel like Stenhouse has had some better runs, especially with a top 5 at Bristol and that car was loving trashed. Bayne's best finish so far is a 12th at Texas. Taking another look at it as I type this out, aside from the 4th at Bristol Stenhouse also has zero top 10's. So they are really kind of even with each other. I still feel like Stenhouse has been running better though. Maybe because I know what Sunny D is and could care less what Advocare is, or whatever it's called, on that 6 car? The corporate sponsors tell me who to like now I guess, as it should be.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Spooler Goolager gonna party like it's 1999!

HATS, HATS, HATS, HATS!

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Douchebag posted:

My local track just announced that James Hylton and his son were killed in a traffic accident? Awful news.
Yeah the preliminary details were posted a page back but it kinda got swept under the rug when local internet hero did good.

SwampYankee posted:

Some sad news, James Hylton and his son were killed in a car accident leaving Talladega yesterday:
https://sports.yahoo.com/nascar-driver-james-hylton-dies-highway-accident-180757904.html

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

E: ^^^I guess we're pretty much on the same page on this one, haha

sum posted:

why does everyone hate kyle other than the fact that he has the face of a faulkernian idiot man-child

He has the personality of man-child to go with the face. More accurately, he probably has closer to the personality of a toddler when things don't go his way. I think he is a really good driver and he is obviously very highly skilled. It's just that when you get to the point of, drat that mother fucker can handle a race car I think I like him, he'll throw a loving mega meltdown tantrum because he came in 3rd in a truck race and drive his truck through another teams pit crew or some other childish bullshit. If you follow hockey he is basically the Brad Marchand of NASCAR. Just when you think he might start acting like an adult he starts licking people's necks.

On the bright side there are other guys out there that can wheel a car and don't seem like total dicks, like Kyle Larson or Ryan Blaney, that should be fun to watch for the next decade at least.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mischief posted:

I just like that they came up with this totally silly package to try to eliminate that exact finish and welp....

It was fun, it was weird, but at the end of the day it was NASCAR.

I did appreciate the guys in the booth attempting to sell the end of the race like there was any chance in hell someone was going to catch the #4. Now, with this package the #19 should be able to suck right back up to the #4. Except they said that during the first stage as well and the #4 in clean air was untouchable then too.

But yes I agree that it was fun and weird and at the end it was the same ol' poo poo.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

mischief posted:

The 600 has been a dumpster fire for... poo poo... a decade now? It's one of the few races I actually recommend people don't attend in person. It's just not fun at all.

I got to see David Reutimann win one though, that was a thing.

I went once and it was the Casey Mears fuel mileage race. I thought it was awesome though because the guys I went with had a niece or something that worked for NASCAR in some capacity and we got to meet a bunch of drivers, watch the Cup race from the infield, watch the Busch race from the pits, plus the races over on the dirt track too.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

So where is Marcos Ambrose? His countrymen are owning Memorial Day Weekend so far. Can anybody get him to Charlotte and convince Tony Stewart to replace Harvick with him tonight?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Well I got all hyped up about actually watching Indy cars during the 500 last week and decided to watch Belle Isle yesterday and today and saw something for the first time ever in any form of racing what-so-ever. For those that didn't see it, the Celebrity Pace Car Driver, some GM executive, took the pace car off pit road, lit up the tires and promptly stuffed it into the wall. Clean up, re-firing and resetting the grid took about 40 minutes or so. I've never seen the track have to go to the backup car for a pace car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEqECTJJx6w

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I had never seen those. Surprised I don't remember that one from Peanut but maybe I didn't watch the allstar that year. The only thing that came to mind was the time that dude stole a pace car at Talladega but he didn't wreck it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICi3kIzSIZg

YouTube is now telling me safety car incidents aren't all that out of the ordinary and usually involve them doing something stupid or unexpected resulting in a race car hitting them but not too many unassisted 1 car incidents.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Yes there were periods of decent racing. Everyone was feeling the impending weather and running hard, as well as taking 2 tires here and there, gambling on fuel here and there, and generally making the race a little more interesting. A good steal by Bowyer driving hard to stay ahead of the 4 and good on the 14 team for making the 2 tire call. I don't know how many more times NASCAR can watch what is typically a boring, strung out, snooze of a race become interesting when 100 miles is cut off of it and not just cut 100 miles off almost every race on the schedule.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/RutledgeWood/status/1013143882303983617?s=19

What the gently caress does that even mean (the grab a drink part)?

Shut up, Rutledge.

E- oh cool, NBC has an intrusive pylon everybody's going to have to get used to as well!

Seriously. The stupidest loving thing they did last year was the on track interview followed up with the exact same interview in victory lane. One's for the fans, one's for the sponsors? They are the exact same each time.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

His response is hilarious because it seems like a metaphor for the mindset which got NASCAR to where it is today.

"What do you know? Shut up, you'll like it."
Yeah I thought it was a pretty stupid response...until I saw the guy respond back with something like, You know when you put it that way, you are right! How loving dumb do you have to be?

Elitist Bitch posted:

It really bothers me how opaque the punishment/recovery process is for substances in NASCAR. I get that racing is inherently more dangerous to be participating in under the influence but it seems ridiculous to keep everything so hush-hush.

E: I was just reading up on it and Dinger was out for 6 races. I have to think SRA is coming back, or wouldn't the team just close?
Wasn't AJ's thing really a 1 time thing and it was completely obvious. Like they tested him later or something and found nothing in his system and realized he didn't have an actual problem and he really did take something one time for like a workout supplement and never again? I seem to remember that whatever it was NASCAR seemed to believe it was an accident rather than a routine and I tend to think that was true because what was NASCAR really gaining by making sure AJ Allmendinger stayed in NASCAR? If it were a top end star like Jr, Johnson, Gordon, etc., I could see the reason for trying to cover it up.

Finally a good race at a mile and half track. It was nice not knowing who was going to win the race 10 laps in for once. Say what you want about either Kyle, that was a good finish, and really great save from Larson to hold onto 2nd place. I'll take a finish like that every week even if it means Shrub winning them all.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I'm pretty sure I designed that exact paint scheme in NASCAR 2000

Right? First thing it reminded me of was the Jason Leffler Fed Ex scheme of that era. It wasn't particularly good.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Not surprising Kahne would be on the way out. Getting into the 95 car isn't exactly a mark of a guy who would be on the upswing to land a top notch ride next year. It definitely didn't feel like this was a pit stop while he waited out a contract for a big team like Clint Bowyer waiting for the 14, or when Kahne put in a year at Red Bull before Hendrick. I really liked Kasey when he first came to Cup. He was fun to watch and he pulled out a handful of second place finishes that rookie season and it was fun to pull for him to win. Plus at that time I was losing Rusty as my favorite driver so it was time to find a new guy to root for. It's just too bad the team couldn't pull out a championship that one season where they won like 6 or 7 races.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

The drawback with that idea is, for every good Darlington, Talladega, Bristol, or Nashville Fairgrounds which hosts the All-Star Race, there's a greater chance that it winds up at Kansas, Chicago, Las Vegas, or somewhere else which will make it suck rear end.
Plus isn't the idea to have it at Charlotte to give (most of) the teams a couple weeks at home to give them a little bit of a break from all the travel? At the very least even the teams that aren't based in the area could have a couple weeks in one place rather than running all around the country.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

SwampYankee posted:

Pretty big shakeup for the mod fans in here:

http://racedayct.com/2018/08/exclusive-rowanpennink-retiring-from-modified-competition/

It's a smart decision if he's having back problems at 33, but I'm pretty bummed. Rowan was an exciting, agressive driver to watch when he had a fast car. It was cool seeing him put the Boehler #3 back in victory lane in last years Icebreaker.

drat that sucks. He was always a favorite to win not matter which track he was at, at least in the Northeast. That is the only region I've watched mod racing live and you would know pretty drat early when he had a fast car. Fun to watch.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

If you're still playing Fantasy, two observations:
1) The format changed so that you must pick two Chase (gently caress "Playoff") drivers each week to go along with two (not three) non-Chase drivers.
2) The starts appear to be unlimited now, which I wish I'd have known originally because I'd have used up the 3 starts I had for Kyle, Harvick, MTJ, Larson, etc. I was saving for the Chase as was my strategy for the Yahoo game. (Or, maybe I could've just read the rules going in because then I probably would've known this.)

Yeah I had the same issue. I did see that pop-up explaining that chase starts would be unlimited so I used up as many good drivers as I could but, like you, I was also stockpiling for the chase. Yeah I guess read the rules to win but also kind of a dumb format.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I only really had 2 takeaways from the Kansas race.

The #42 ends up having to use a backup car at Kansas, which is fine poo poo happens. But how do you show up at a track where you CAN win and MUST win with only 1 fully prepared, fully updated car? Not enough time at the shop? You have two teams. Who cares if the #1 runs like poo poo in essentially a backup car as a primary? You have both shops build and prepare 2 latest and greatest cars for the guy who might actually get a chance to use them.

The commentators saying something is missing from the #78 car. I wonder what it could be? Are they even building new cars? I'd think they are just bringing the best of what they have and trying not to spend too much considering they are done at the end of the year. I'm sure it would be nice to go out on top but when they're getting out of the game I don't see them justifying spending that much to get it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Now knowing Bahrain's involvement with McLaren it makes sense but you'd think doing it in Texas or Mexico over the last few weeks would've been a logistically better option.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

tater_salad posted:

And or... Remove their win and penalize.
So you get a dnf for cheating and then you get penalty points on top.. if you are in the "playoff for the chase for the Winston cup stage one winners circle" you lose any of those points you accumulated for that race and then some.

Yeah that was a pretty ballsy move to pull some spoiler cheating poo poo 2 races before the championship. That's a good way to get bumped out. Unless it is some poo poo they've been doing all season and somebody finally caught on which is why they thought they'd just get away with it.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

WindyMan posted:

I think it at this point it may be safe to assume that everyone has been doing it, and winning a NASCAR race is less about driver skill and more about which team can get away with more without crossing the line.

That is pretty much what I figure for every team that gets caught doing something like that. They just hosed up hiding it once and got caught. Unless it is some stupid poo poo like putting jet fuel in like Waltrip did so many years ago. Or I think it was Harvick's team when he was with the #29 before qualifying put a stopper in the fuel filler hose, that runs from the body to the fuel cell, and then filled the (clear) fuel hose to make it appear they had a full tank so they could qualify with less fuel weight in the car but when they got put through tech post qualifying the officials thought it was pretty interesting that it then appeared they had not burned a gallon of fuel during qualifying as the tube was still full of fuel.

E: I couldn't find the details of it but found it was the UAW 400 in Vegas in 2005 for the Harvick thing.

E: from Jayski: • $25,000.00 fine and suspension from NASCAR until April 20, 2005 and suspension from the next four (4) NASCAR NEXTEL Cup Series races for crew chief Todd Berrier.
The Appellants acknowledged that the sealed-off filler and the plug inserted in the vent line were deliberate rules violations, but appealed the severity of the penalties

http://www.jayski.com/pages/penalties2005.htm

bigbillystyle fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 8, 2018

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Reynold posted:

Do you want the current NASCAR product? Because this is how you get the current NASCAR product.

I think you're off here. Cheating is racing. From go-karts to late models to modifieds to Cup. Every single team in every single race has something that they think is giving them an edge that doesn't comply with the rules. From the front of the pack to the rear. Probably more-so in the rear because they are getting scrutinized less and they need the cheats just to stay semi competitive. If you tried to take the cheating out of racing the teams will just find better cheaters.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Normally I give up watching Indy like a week or two after the 500 but this year I didn't really start watching until the 500 and I'll say I got hooked in this season. I missed a few races here and there but when I was able to catch them I did and made sure I DVR'd the last few of the season. While I still watched F1 and NASCAR via DVR the whole season I can't say it was really appointment TV. The only thing that keeps me watching them in a timely fashion is wanting to avoid spoilers for the winners. Still I was actually interested in the Indy races down the stretch so that is one positive for them.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kurt Busch to Ganassi.

That could be interesting. The #42 has been pretty good and McMurray had a few competitive seasons in the #1 car aside from last year. The #42 and the #9 were the only competitive Chevy's really so it'll be cool to watch what happens when another good driver gets into one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

I think highlighter yellow on black looks fine but the hood to me looks bad. Looks too busy. Just a straight logo would look better in my opinion.