Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Glad that's over.

Congrats on the Gold Curse. :) if you flip to page 2, there's another sweet curse you can get for completing Heart of Fire!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the perfect ship doesn't exis-

:captainpop:

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Thief posted:

the perfect ship doesn't exis-

I love the Wailing Barnacle set. I got as much as I could. Doubloons were so few and far between, back then, I had to piece-meal the ship set with a friend. He owns half and I own the other. Also, I never got any of the weapon set. This, of course, drove me nuts because I went ham on the outfit and equipment.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 29, 2020

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jeff Goldblum posted:

I love the Wailing Barnacle set. I got as much as I could. Doubloons were so few and far between, back then, I had to piece-meal the ship set with a friend. He owns half and I own the other. Also, I never got any of the weapon set. This, of course, drove me nuts because I went ham on the outfit and equipment.

I forgot how bad the clothing is, that is hideous! What is that on the shoulders, a melted starfish??

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Some sort of ridiculous goo. Maybe coral, because it’s standing up off of the hat. That’s part of why I didn’t get the weapons, then, either. Here you had this first unique set that was coming out and it was just the hat and jacket, covered in crap. And then the weapons came out and they looked like reskins of another set just blue with some barnacles on it.

It only became special when I realized that it was one of the few time-limited sets. And, being that kind of guy, I had to have it. Didn’t get any of the exclusive sets besides Mercenary, and now that’s widely available. Not too broken up over not getting the Black Dog/Onyx set, though. That was just too many hoops to jump through for one set.

I much preferred combining the Forsaken Ashes and Ashen Dragon sets.

And, of course, everything is trivialized when you spend 100% of your day in a Reaper’s Bones costume.

Having a fat character makes every outfit look hilarious.]

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I regret not getting the Bonecrusher figurehead, the giant bird skeleton skull, when it came out but I wasn't playing much then. They did bring back some of the wailing barnacle pieces in recolors, like the gloves and belt in the black market, but not all of it. They should bring all the time limited stuff back, even if they're just recolors, someday.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
my crew and I actually lost a fight for the first time in months last night. got jumped by an absolutely ace crew while driving by the Reaper's Hideout.

The weird thing about this game is that it doesn't piss me off when I lose, it's more like "oh that's a good move by them, time to incorporate it into our pirating"

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah this game isn't terribly competitive but there certainly are players out there that can aggressively chase you down and lockdown your ship and even keep you afloat while spawn camping you until you scuttle. they're extremely rare and its honestly interesting to see because they have to pull out every trick in the book to even get the opportunity. i've always been impressed by the insanely good (or maybe just lucky) ppl that cannon themselves directly onto your deck with double guns :blastu:

most of the players like that hang out in the Arena now but when they switch back to adventure mode the only way you'll ever sink them is if enough other ships/sharks/krakens get involved

also even if you sink, generally escaping with your life on a rowboat or getting marooned and seeing how long you can survive without a mermaid can be just as fun even if you lose most of your loot.

sometimes you can stowaway on the ship that sank you. can also even ladder surf on skeleton ships

other times i've fished and cooked on the various campsites around the islands, using the ammo boxes to reload and swim from rock to rock until i could either get to an outpost or sneak/barter my way onto a passing ship (things like fish and reaper balls are useful for this because they can't take them out of your pockets).

the devs really gave players all the tools they need to get around like this if they want to. it's how they show love to the Bilgerats and keeps things fresh when you get bored with random players that just want to farm gold or burnt out on crews that just flop into battle and get themselves sunk

it's not consistently profitable but can be way more satisfying than grinding rep 24/7 only to quit the game once everything is maxed out

PlushCow posted:

They should bring all the time limited stuff back, even if they're just recolors, someday.

tell Duke i'll give him all my dubloons for a whispering barnacle set

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thief posted:

yeah this game isn't terribly competitive but there certainly are players out there that can aggressively chase you down and lockdown your ship and even keep you afloat while spawn camping you until you scuttle. they're extremely rare and its honestly interesting to see because they have to pull out every trick in the book to even get the opportunity. i've always been impressed by the insanely good (or maybe just lucky) ppl that cannon themselves directly onto your deck with double guns :blastu:

most of the players like that hang out in the Arena now but when they switch back to adventure mode the only way you'll ever sink them is if enough other ships/sharks/krakens get involved

That's what got me, normally my crew are the ones deciding "we've outmatched this other ship enough that we're going to purposely keep it alive to loot all of its barrels"

being on the other end for once was enlightening

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
I played a bit of this back at launch when it was barely a game. Since I subscribed to Game Pass a little while ago and since it's available I've been tooling about the seas with some friends, and boy there have been a lot of changes.

We were doing a Tall Tale this evening and got our boat jacked. Whatever, no big deal, we can just sail back. I was following the quest line when the weirdest thing happened. I was fighting some skeletons, when I got derezzed and reappeared on the boat. I shot the hijacker in the back and sailed back to the quest.

Is being forced back to your boat a thing that can happen, or was it a weird bug?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Black screening should really only happen if you're stuck in the in-game geometry, which happens in some rocks and will happen if you get squished between things (try the staircase in the back corner of the taverns for funsies) or you're WAY out in the red sea.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

BlackIronHeart posted:

Black screening should really only happen if you're stuck in the in-game geometry, which happens in some rocks and will happen if you get squished between things (try the staircase in the back corner of the taverns for funsies) or you're WAY out in the red sea.

Okay, weird. I was just out on some rocks, hitting skeletons. Maybe I clipped into the geometry or something.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, my pirate is one of the big chonky boi models and I've gotten black screened on a lot of rocks and docks. There are some areas of the game where you can clip under the world and into a weird nega-zone outside of the normal geometry. 'Falling off' of this nega-zone will teleport you to the Sea Dog haven in the middle of the map.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Me and some friends tried this over Game Pass and it's pretty fun. None of us are really pvp experts, but the few fights we got in had some fun moment. Like when chasing a sloop one of my buddies managed to miss their ship with the harpoon but hit a player instead, dragging them over in the middle of three angry pirates with swords. And of course there is always the usual amount of getting drunk and vomiting in the captain's face V:

One kinda notable moment we had was when we were on a galleon, doing the second tall tale. We had just finished the final step and gotten the skull to bring back when on the way another galleon starts chasing us. Now, we were going against the wind across half the map so we had all the time in the world to figure out what to do, especially as either the other galleon could not catch up or didn't know how. Since at that point it was late and we were all done, especially after having a rough time with the boss fight we had just done we figured we shouldn't get into a fight and risk losing out on all the progress we got (the fact that at least on of our players was utterly drunk, though now slowly sobering up may have also helped make that decision :v:). And while figuring out how to get rid of the guys behind us, I got a great/dumb idea:

What if I tossed out an empty treasure chest and hope they get distracted?

Turns out that did nothing, either they figured it was a trick or they didn't care about the treasure. so it was time for plan B:

What if we just jumped off the ship with the skull as we passed the outpost and hope they don't notice?

So we keep inching along until we finally get to see the outpost. A sloop was parked at the pier of itwhich could be a problem but luckily I had another great plan. I aimed the ship to drive past the backside, letting us both get on land out of sight of the sloop player(s) and hopefully makes it less obvious to the pursuing galleon what we were about to do. And then as we pass the ship we jump off, one of us bringing the skull along. We dive down to not get seen, swim towards the shore and then hide behind the nearest rock to not give ourselves away. Regrouping behind the rock, we keep an eye on the galleon and just as we hoped, they keep following our now empty ship which happily continues off into the distance. I waited a bit, letting that galleon pass and figure it might be time to figure out how to deal with the sloop that was parked on the island. Sadly I was a bit late, as the skullbearer of our group decided to just run over there to hand it in, instead of laying low and waiting for them to sail away. He manages to actually do it, finishing the tall tale and securing our rewards, but the two players of that sloop noticed and began opening fire. I die, my buddies get tied up in the pvp and cannot watch the final bit which was a bit sad, but at least we got it done and the last couple hours were not wasted.

As a bonus, when I respawned I came back to the galleon we abandoned, and I was able to spawn just in time to see the chasing players finally break off pursuit as our ship entered the border of the map. Presumably they never realised they were chasing an empty ship.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Good stuff, Sea of Thieves rules

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So I'm a noob at this game, just playing about a week with my buddy who started playing together with me. We just had a long session yesterday where none of our loot registered any money or reputation gains.

We just started flying the emissary flags, and in this session we finished out at level V Gold Hoarder, we held onto pretty much all our loot until the end, sold all the loot and retired our emissary flag, including selling a broken emissary flag from a ship we sank and a Reaper's Bounty at the Reaper Hideout during the session. We got "X item sold!" announcements for everything but never any money or rep.

Leaving and rejoining session, exit to desktop and restart the game, firebombing myself to death and resurrecting through the ferrryman, none of these have helped, tabbing to inventory shows the same money and reputation (I have less than a hundred gold!)

I've heard that this kind of thing can happen and that it generally shows up eventually because the servers bug or lag out adding in your stuff so I have to hope that's true I suppose.

But it's frustrating because as a new player I have no idea how much to expect for turning in stuff that I've never sold before like Reaper's Bounty and the game doesn't let you see a detailed log of events and what you got for them.

Is there anything else I can do aside from just wait to try to shake the cobwebs out of the system to try and get my money?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

This game seems like my jam but I'm waiting for it to hit Steam. Kinda weird they don't have a release date despite having a page.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Check it out on the Game Pass, says I

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Zwabu, yeah, there are rewards delay problems occasionally. Go jump off a cliff and die, and by that I mean sometimes the reward announcement pipes will be unclogged by a trip through the ferryman's ship so it's worth trying to kill your character to see if it changes anything. At least that's how it worked for me the other day.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Zwabu posted:

So I'm a noob at this game, just playing about a week with my buddy who started playing together with me. We just had a long session yesterday where none of our loot registered any money or reputation gains.

We just started flying the emissary flags, and in this session we finished out at level V Gold Hoarder, we held onto pretty much all our loot until the end, sold all the loot and retired our emissary flag, including selling a broken emissary flag from a ship we sank and a Reaper's Bounty at the Reaper Hideout during the session. We got "X item sold!" announcements for everything but never any money or rep.

Leaving and rejoining session, exit to desktop and restart the game, firebombing myself to death and resurrecting through the ferrryman, none of these have helped, tabbing to inventory shows the same money and reputation (I have less than a hundred gold!)

I've heard that this kind of thing can happen and that it generally shows up eventually because the servers bug or lag out adding in your stuff so I have to hope that's true I suppose.

But it's frustrating because as a new player I have no idea how much to expect for turning in stuff that I've never sold before like Reaper's Bounty and the game doesn't let you see a detailed log of events and what you got for them.

Is there anything else I can do aside from just wait to try to shake the cobwebs out of the system to try and get my money?

In my experience generally speaking these things are server side and it's basically a delay, and likely when you log in the next day or whatever its there.

If it's not, you can raise a support ticket and they are good at answering them.

Ries
Apr 14, 2003
Motorcycle

Thief posted:

the survival meta becomes one of the most fun ways to play SoT - seeing how long you can get by with just a rowboat and making campfires on beaches. eventually you can make your way back to civilization or maybe even sneak/talk your way onto a different ship rather than ever taking a mermaid

Started playing yesterday and got to experience this, being stuck on a small island with a rowboat full of treasure and constantly scanning the horizon for ships while waiting for everyone else to come back is intense.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Ries posted:

Started playing yesterday and got to experience this, being stuck on a small island with a rowboat full of treasure and constantly scanning the horizon for ships while waiting for everyone else to come back is intense.

This is why you always stop for a rowboat if you don’t have one already. It gives you options

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

We got "X item sold!" announcements for everything but never any money or rep.

I'm seeing more complaints about this, so maybe we'll be seeing another 'we hosed up, free gold + rep for everyone' bonus again soon. :allears:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

all this new content is really making me want to jump back in but that's not going to happen with my current 0.5 MB down connection lol

captain cubano's in the brig for the long haul lads...........

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
So i understand arenas purported purpose but also it just keeps putting me in galleons by myself. And by god i am gonna ram every motherfucker i see.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I really liked what little I got to play of the arena before they changed, haven't got a chance to see the new arena but something about it just seems like it'll be less fun. I know the single chest is meant to force everyone into close quarters but I feel like it's just going to play out like one team getting a lead, grabbing the single chest, and then running away the entire game.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Babe Magnet posted:

I really liked what little I got to play of the arena before they changed, haven't got a chance to see the new arena but something about it just seems like it'll be less fun. I know the single chest is meant to force everyone into close quarters but I feel like it's just going to play out like one team getting a lead, grabbing the single chest, and then running away the entire game.

Anecdotal because I have only played twice in the new arena, in sloops, but it's a fun mess and the chest got turned in once in one game and never in the other, everyone goes for the guy with the chest. It's not so easy to get away when there's only one and there's always a big glowly pillar of color emanating from the chest.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

My buds and I just picked this up. We've been putting around yelling at each other and not accomplishing much besides getting wrecked by sloops despite being in galleons. Finally we headed to a skull island boss fight thing and managed to roll up on a sloop crew that was on the final boss stage. Shot 'em in the back, blasted the boss, and got jumped by another sloop crew mid-loot...

...who proceeded to congratulate us on our success and clap emoji. :whatup:

game owns

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Babe Magnet posted:

My crew and I played the old arena once and the strategy of "just attack other ships" was so effective that the final score was something like 4,000-0-0-0-0

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I loved ship hunting in the old arena, it was extremely effective mostly due to the fact that at any given moment you know that any other crew is going to be down a man who's trying to run treasure in or dig it up or whatever.

PlushCow posted:

Anecdotal because I have only played twice in the new arena, in sloops, but it's a fun mess and the chest got turned in once in one game and never in the other, everyone goes for the guy with the chest. It's not so easy to get away when there's only one and there's always a big glowly pillar of color emanating from the chest.

That's good to hear, I'd love to get back into it when I'm in a better situation to play. I'm missing a bunch of poo poo lol

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Thinking about trying this again. Have they done anything to change the busy work when you first log in to get your boat stocked up?

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Depending on when the last time you logged in was, they've turned it into more busywork.

I don't really mind though, because it makes for something to do while you're waiting for crewmembers coming in late and/or voyage purchases and/or votes and discussions for votes, helps differentiate between properly prepared crews and unattentive ones, and also is like the only pacing element against a defeated crew coming back for revenge right after you sunk them since doing so as fast as possible means they'll be poorly stocked.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I tend to not stock up as much when just starting out these days, it's so much quicker to load up once you come across a couple of resource crates and a rowboat so that you're not just running back and forth with a pocket full of stuff.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Take someone else's poo poo instead. Since you have nothing to lose, there's no fear of death :getin:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

The implementation of the Storage Crate in this game is a godsend.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Initial stock-up is boring but required, I just run back and forth twice before setting sail if I'm alone. More isn't really required, and you pick up more stuff on every island anyway.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Get someone who's an ace with the hook shot who can pick out barrel pods while you're hauling rear end across the ocean and you'll be stocked enough by the time you get where you're going.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah there's so many barrels floating in the water now that you should be able to harpoon enough wood/cannonballs to be a threat to 9/10 ships you encounter even if you raise anchor and drop sails before bothering to paint your ship

also in regards to the arena, the new update rules and works because it promotes more ship-to-ship fighting.

in a match where everyone is going for the chest, you will only see 1-2 turn ins. each chest is worth 1000 silver. frags are worth like 50ish and cannon hits are worth somewhere around 100 silver depending on what part of the boat they hit.

a crew that can effectively use cannons will be able easily keep up with nerds that only want to chase chests. this was simply not possible before with several chests and reduced the PvP action which went against the entire purpose of the gamemode.

but yeah, in Sloop arena, immediately digging up the chest and using it to kite around everyone else is the easiest way to win because you will see more action and basically have 1000 silver on standby when you need it or its safe to turn in

with galleons the ships are far less maneuverable so you will see more sinking (-1000) and with 4 player crews there is almost always someone camping the sea dog turn in ship

play sloop arena if you're solo and aiming for 1st place or want to focus on ship v ship pvp

play galleons if you want to ignore the scoreboard and go for weapon kill grinds

after a while Sea Dog rep becomes the slowest grind in the game with the fastest way to level it being commendations

for the red sea dog outfit you must place in the top 3 for 100 matches.

for the "triumphant" blue sea dog jacket you need to win in 1st place 25 times while wearing the red sea dog outfit

fwiw back when 30min round times existed you could do this before reaching rank 50. to max out sea dog rep and unlock the weapons and endgame titles you need to get 100kills with each individual weapon per tier

having regularly played arena since the day it came out i have only seen maybe 3 players with everything unlocked. they're insane.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Thief posted:

100kills with each individual weapon

lol i just checked and its actually 200 kills, then from there you have to get 100 using the unlocked weapon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I have played probably 15 matches of (old) Arena total, so thank you for that information. :)

I'm way more of a PvE player/grinder. Currently 2 Shipwrecked chests away from the grade 5 commendation for turning in 300 of them.