Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
It seems anytime I do anyhting now it says "[something] - Added to log". Such as bringing a treasure on my ship it says "Treausre abord ship - Added to log"

Where is this log?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Our crew sailing a Galleon today flying the Reaper's Bones emissary, we were doing the Flameheart event and got to the final wave when a megalodon spawned and threw us off the boat, sinking us at the worst possible time. We had a dinghy so while two of our crew respawned my friend and I started loading our stuff onto the dinghy. The meg had just left and so did the ghost ships when a guy shot me from out of nowhere, and then shot my friend and took our dinghy. They were flying Reaper's too so we tracked them down and it was a Sloop with two seasoned players on it. They were sailing into the wind to get away from us but we were tacking a bit to try to keep after them. We chased them for probably 20 minutes, to the very edge of the map, while they would jump off their boat to try and firebomb us. They tried to board us a few times but we were coordinated enough to kill them quickly before they could drop our anchor, so they stopped boarding and just firebombed us, going through probably like 30 or 50 firebombs. We saw them cannon to a passing island to resupply but we weren't going to let them cash in on our misfortune.

When we neared the edge of the map the winds changed and we were able to catch up. They turned to chainshot our masts and fired on us. We had to bail water fast but I got a chainshot on theirs and we unloaded cannons into their sloop. The sword fighting was tough but we held out and sank their sloop while our mid deck was about half flooded. After we killed them both and stabilized we got our stuff back, we got their stuff which was nice stuff, we got our broken emissary flag and their emissary flag and we brought it all back to Mr. Reaper and voted to raise a fresh emissary. We recovered five storage crates- three were originally ours- and none of them had any firebombs left. It was a tense exchange but we didn't let them get away from us, and our crew is slowly getting better at sailing and fighting together.

Reaper's has become my favorite flag to fly. People either run from you or are spicy enough to come have good fights. It's the one emissary that feels like being a proper pirate.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Skyarb posted:

It seems anytime I do anyhting now it says "[something] - Added to log". Such as bringing a treasure on my ship it says "Treausre abord ship - Added to log"

Where is this log?

They added this for the Plunder Pass Season 1 Trials but it seems like it's affecting everything. I think stuff like bringing treasure aboard and catching or cooking fish are mostly used as (for lack of a better term) checkpoints. Bringing treasure aboard would matter when treasure is stolen, for example.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Found one of these for the first time and promptly squandered it on photo ops.

We were amazed that you could do this and then learned that the fire juice doesn't regenerate. Do these do a lot of damage, could we save one next time for a skeleton fort?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Reiley posted:

We were amazed that you could do this and then learned that the fire juice doesn't regenerate. Do these do a lot of damage, could we save one next time for a skeleton fort?

They instagib skeletons like nothing else and there are a few commendations/achievements/whathaveyou for using them against skeletons and skeleton ships.

The skull's sell value is also based on the amount of fuel remaining, don't tell your crewmates.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

They instagib skeletons like nothing else and there are a few commendations/achievements/whathaveyou for using them against skeletons and skeleton ships.

The skull's sell value is also based on the amount of fuel remaining, don't tell your crewmates.

We also learned when you run out of fuel and press the button it makes the jaws clack like a ventriloquist dummy.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

This is the best use for one of these and it makes me want to actually go and fight an Ashen Lord, which I never thought I'd say.

Also Athena rep sucks. Like... why would I do the least fun things possible while also painting a giant target on my back? We did some Science today to determine how hard we wanted to go with it, and the emissary quest doesn't even get you back up to rank 5, and barely even rank 4, so you'd definitely have to supplement it with another voyage, or at least part of one.

The ancient vaults are pretty fun (the map-finding part not so much, but the actual vault is fun), lost shipments are chill and for some reason just really check all the boxes for fun for me. Maybe because you get to stay on the ocean more? But either way, those two voyage designs are so much better than the garbage they've stuck Athena with, and I don't think I'll ever bother with Athena rep unless they add something interesting to work through it. As it is right now, it's just tedious and takes waaaaayyyy too long to do.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

This is the best use for one of these and it makes me want to actually go and fight an Ashen Lord, which I never thought I'd say.

It's super funny to me that one of the best uses for an Ashen Lord skull is... fighting an Ashen Lord. You can wipe every reinforcement skelly basically instantly and just pile the damage onto the Lord while waiting for them to summon more.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Last month you could get Ashen Winds skulls really easily with the time-limited voyages. "Fire and ash" I think they were called? The final dig was a guaranteed AW skull.

I have to admit that the current Lost Shipment voyages are pretty fun to do with a crew, but less so solo. But you can speedrun pretty fast if you don't need the loot, and just the manifest.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I like them as a means to easily and somewhat quickly stock up on supplies before a long session. Added benefit of making a solid coin off of it.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

You ever have your crew playing the 1812 Overture and then fire the ship cannons in time with the second half of the song? The time to reload a shot and fire again lines up perfectly and really enhances the power of the composition.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

dialhforhero posted:

I like them as a means to easily and somewhat quickly stock up on supplies before a long session. Added benefit of making a solid coin off of it.

We just did this when we started today. Grabbed two lost shipment voyages, picked up the supplies from the first clue on one, cancelled it, dropped the second voyage and did the same, then went off to do Flameheart/Order of Souls stuff well-stocked! Now I just wish there was a way to get a storage crate on demand.

Reiley posted:

You ever have your crew playing the 1812 Overture and then fire the ship cannons in time with the second half of the song? The time to reload a shot and fire again lines up perfectly and really enhances the power of the composition.

:same:

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Do you expect me to jump?

-No Mr. pirate I expect you to die!

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Reiley posted:

What is the counterplay if someone is just jumping around with their sword? Is it just jump around with your gun? Just always also stay moving?

Shoot em?

Edit : I realize after the fact that this was kind of a dismissive response when what I was going for was a reference to Indiana Jones shooting the swordsman in that movie.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

I discounted blunderbombs pretty heavily up until recently, and now I refuse to board or deal with boarders without a full five on me. They're great for fast damage and disruption and they've help me improve my person-to-person play immensely.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I discounted blunderbombs pretty heavily up until recently, and now I refuse to board or deal with boarders without a full five on me. They're great for fast damage and disruption and they've help me improve my person-to-person play immensely.

I've been thinking about using those a lot more, like tossing TF2 Demo pills, before I play this weekend I'd like to put those on hotkeys on my keyboard. I was watching my friends streaming a voyage and they got lit up by a jumping bean, which is why I was wondering. It looked like the route was board and then quickly go up at the helm or out by the bow before fighting.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Reiley posted:

Like Fuzzlewhack said, blunder bombs. Fire is extremely over-rated as a boarding technique, it takes forever to sink a ship with fire and the attrition damage will affect you as much as the enemy crew. But launching a bunny hopper and their sword off board with a lil kablooey bomb is never not satisfying. I almost never carry fire bombs now, if I need one, they'll probably have them in their barrels.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sekhmnet posted:

Like Fuzzlewhack said, blunder bombs. Fire is extremely over-rated as a boarding technique, it takes forever to sink a ship with fire and the attrition damage will affect you as much as the enemy crew. But launching a bunny hopper and their sword off board with a lil kablooey bomb is never not satisfying. I almost never carry fire bombs now, if I need one, they'll probably have them in their barrels.

I'm liking blunder bombs more these days too. Main purpose of fire is to feel like you did something if you miss a board

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
you can ignore it for a while and it won't even phaze veteran players much but fire is very good for causing confusion and the slow creeping burn effect of damage over time can really add up if left unattended

at higher levels of pvp fire ends up being used for stuff like hindering the use/repair of various ship parts. also fwiw i'm pretty sure fire triggers explosives so you can use it in 420iq plays :goofy:

blunderbombs rule but sometimes i take a single firepot

also lol at watching open crews walk into each other while on fire and just spreading it around while 1 person pumps the water barrel

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thief posted:

you can ignore it for a while and it won't even phaze veteran players much but fire is very good for causing confusion and the slow creeping burn effect of damage over time can really add up if left unattended

at higher levels of pvp fire ends up being used for stuff like hindering the use/repair of various ship parts. also fwiw i'm pretty sure fire triggers explosives so you can use it in 420iq plays :goofy:

blunderbombs rule but sometimes i take a single firepot

also lol at watching open crews walk into each other while on fire and just spreading it around while 1 person pumps the water barrel

A fire bomb to the mast will blow kegs in the crow's nest. And a fire on the wheel will hamper steering

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

A fire bomb to the mast will blow kegs in the crow's nest. And a fire on the wheel will hamper steering

Also, I think firebombs fired out of a cannon, will set fire to the interior of a ship upon impact. Someone confirm please, I'm not sure.
But yeah - don't just throw them anywhere, try to set fire to masts, steering wheel, and capstan. If aboard with firebombs, I like to set fire to stairs.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I'm not going to say it's efficient, but there are few things as satisfying as watching a broken main mast repeatedly getting dropped because you won't stop pummeling the back of a ship with blunder bomb cannon shots.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I've fallen in love with the strategy of sailing near an inactive skull fort so I can use a cannon tower to absolutely pummel a chasing ship. A 100% stationary cannon is just too good at causing havoc on a crew, especially a sloop. If you knock down their mast with the first shot, you can keep that mast down until you run out of cannonballs and if you're even halfway decent, you'll kill whoever is trying to raise it by hitting them directly. We ripped off a FOTD vault and the pursuing sloop got utterly smoked by me with a pocket full of curse balls and my buddy going aboard to make sure they couldn't fix holes.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

PerOlus posted:

Also, I think firebombs fired out of a cannon, will set fire to the interior of a ship upon impact. Someone confirm please, I'm not sure.

As far as I know, they don't. Firebombs fired from a canon need to hit mast or deck to set fire to a ship. Also, blunderbombs can change the direction of a moving ship if you hit it with them from a cannon.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

blunderbomb into cannons can be very useful for buying time when you know you're gonna get broadsided but want to focus on repairs

also spam the green/purple ones whenever you have them they cause just as much confusion as fire against inexperienced crews

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Thief posted:

blunderbomb into cannons can be very useful for buying time when you know you're gonna get broadsided but want to focus on repairs

also spam the green/purple ones whenever you have them they cause just as much confusion as fire against inexperienced crews

Do cursed cannonball effects stack or does one new effect override the previous one? Like can you sleep&grogball someone and then ballastball them?

vvv I mean more will both sleep & grog effects apply or is it wasting cursed balls to fire both?

Reiley fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 11, 2021

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Reiley posted:

Do cursed cannonball effects stack or does one new effect override the previous one? Like can you sleep&grogball someone and then ballastball them?

Yes, because sleep/grog affects players and ballast affects ships.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Reiley posted:

vvv I mean more will both sleep & grog effects apply or is it wasting cursed balls to fire both?

I'm actually not sure if they stack, I assume the freshest debuff will overwrite the current effect. But really you want to space those out so that they're taking on water from the danger holes you're preventing them from repairing. Put a handful of regular cannons in them, then hit them with player debuffs and space them out so every time they try to board up a hole a new debuff hits and they sink and call you cheaters for using cursed cannonballs.

PerOlus
Jan 26, 2003

We'r even, seņor!
Some balls reverse the previous effect - anchor ball will draw upp the anchor if it's down, sail ball the same.
Always keep cursed balls in your inventory, never in storage. You will never use them otherwise, and use them against players at first opportunity.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Oh here's another question: when you're in water PvP, i.e. both your boats sank and now it's you and the sharks, is it ideal to swim deeper underwater and shoot up at other players? I've been in this situation once and had a hard time seeing people through the choppy waves and only had this thought in hindsight.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Reiley posted:

Oh here's another question: when you're in water PvP, i.e. both your boats sank and now it's you and the sharks, is it ideal to swim deeper underwater and shoot up at other players? I've been in this situation once and had a hard time seeing people through the choppy waves and only had this thought in hindsight.

Yes, it's definitely to your advantage to look and shoot up than shooting down. It has something to do with the way the characters look up and down when swimming, there's a big advantage, someone more knowledgable can explain better.

It should almost go without saying that for water fights the sniper or pistol are far superior to the blunderbuss.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh man, tonight a friend and I obtained a whole heap of loot, then finished off the last galleon in one of those major "the alliance of X" battles after a brig fought the rest before sinking. (We were finishing a tall tale on the neighbouring island, so we heard the whole thing and decided to mop up)

So then a whole mass of loot appeared in the sea and another brig showed up, congratulating us on the win! (We originally thought it was the same brig and they were being sarcastic, but it wasn't them) One boarded us, played some music with us and helped harpoon loot onto our ship, before heading back to his boat...then a little later (after we collected the mass of loot - including two ashen keys and three ashen chests! First time I've actually FINALLY been able to unlock one, believe it or not) we ran into them again, at an outpost. We sold our stuff alongside them selling theirs.

Seeing as they were such top blokes (who also actually replied via ingame VOIP, which is a first) I suggested that they help sink our ship so that they can cash in on our lv5 emissary flag - since we were logging off anyway. They were kinda surprised, but helped us send off our sloop in style; on fire with a four-man band. :D First time we've actually encountered genuinely friendly and vocal pirates on SoT. Normally they're either loud and hostile, or quiet and friendly (at least, until they see something valuable to try and pinch)

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:captainpop:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Come for pirate action on the high seas, stay to watch tungsten rods deorbit from space.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Was solo slooping last night, flying the rainbow flag, and ran across a duo sloop at Daggertooth in what looked like a new spawn position. I didn't want to sink a new spawn, so I cannoned over to check it out.

Turns out, not a new spawn, but a couple of what sounded like kids selling a pile of skulls. Not a whole lot of loot, not worth fighting over, so i said bye and was about to leave when one of them one blunders me and calls me a human being. Nice.

So after I got back from the ferry we fought, and after a long fight I managed to sink them, and tell them off for the slur as they sank, so all's well that ends well I guess. But I was still pretty pissed off afterwards.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Was solo slooping last night, flying the rainbow flag, and ran across a duo sloop at Daggertooth in what looked like a new spawn position. I didn't want to sink a new spawn, so I cannoned over to check it out.

Turns out, not a new spawn, but a couple of what sounded like kids selling a pile of skulls. Not a whole lot of loot, not worth fighting over, so i said bye and was about to leave when one of them one blunders me and calls me a human being. Nice.

So after I got back from the ferry we fought, and after a long fight I managed to sink them, and tell them off for the slur as they sank, so all's well that ends well I guess. But I was still pretty pissed off afterwards.

https://youtu.be/_mf3py1e_7c

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I've had surprisingly good times with literal kids in this game. More often than not they're just excited to play pirates and they'll actually play along with silly hostage games, and I have rarely if ever been trash-talked by a child. The adults, on the otherhand, are some of the most toxic players I've ever encountered. I play a fat, jolly pirate with a rainbow flag and rainbow unicorn figurehead and I constantly get fat- and homophobic slurs thrown my way by most of the "adults" we encounter.

It really sucks because I love using the megaphone to ask inane questions across ships, like, "does your boat have seatbelts? This is very important," and when I get funny responses in return it's immensely enjoyable, and those have been some of my most cherished moments playing the game. The trash-talking and toxicity makes me want to mute all other crews, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

You better not play Arena then.. The toxicity there has gotten so bad, Rare disabled inter-crew voice & text chat entirely, since the last update. Back when I played it, eventually my first action in a lobby was to mute all voice chat for all other crews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

A buddy of mine chose the Absolute Unit player model on a lark and, in the very first session he played, we sank a ship and one of their crew said something like 'Oh no, here comes fat boy' right before he was shot in the face and killed by said fat boy. Chubby karma comes at you fast.