Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah that sounds like it's time for pirate diplomacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why do you need to steal 10 map bundles in a month?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I don't know if anyone here has had that 0x080070005 error trying to install Sea of Thieves, but I have after I decided I wanted to boot up the game again and give it a go and it's incredibly frustrating. I've followed every guide I could find online and MS support was useless and basically told me to reformat my harddrives.

Not sure if anyone has encountered this and found a fix that works?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Legends Week. x2 bonuses for Pirate Legends all weekend, and then same bonus for everyone on Sunday.

Login Bonus on Monday for Silvered Legendary Eyepatch.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Zesty posted:

Legends Week. x2 bonuses for Pirate Legends all weekend, and then same bonus for everyone on Sunday.

Login Bonus on Monday for Silvered Legendary Eyepatch.

I'll be there!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I got my whole saturday and most of sunday clear pretty much, I'm in

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Fellow Goon Eryxias and I plant 7 kegs on a parked Reaper 5 Galleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_KIojXBgw

Spoiler: They sunk.

And some more Keg work to celebrate new skins available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40e_nodja70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMB9Td475A

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Zesty posted:

Fellow Goon Eryxias and I plant 7 kegs on a parked Reaper 5 Galleon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0_KIojXBgw

Spoiler: They sunk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40e_nodja70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxMB9Td475A

:bisonyes:

keg strike is my favourite way to take out a ship, don't care about efficacy, it's all about style

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
Lego star wars obtained. Downloading now

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

styls trill epic posted:

Lego star wars obtained. Downloading now

how many posts you gonna make in the wrong place about this tryls?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

imagine not having the biggest moron in the forums on ignore

no i don't mean me!!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Zesty posted:

these new skins kick rear end btw

I love the unexploded keg figurehead

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
It's been awhile but I'm gonna log on to try out the new stuff. Also, I need an achievement for a Microsoft points quest.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Is there a new discord you guys are using?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Is there a new discord you guys are using?

Try this one

https://discord.gg/dMjd5fTn

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Awesome, thanks.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New Adventure dropped yesterday.

Also, Twitch drops for this week:

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
How's the playerbase of this nowadays? Haven't touched it in a whiiiiile

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
My crew got all four meg souls, sat around for 30 minutes for someone to show up, got bored and fought a skelly sloop one square away, server merged and lost our meg souls. This event is very dumb.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It sounds extremely like Rare to once again forget to test how server merges can gently caress up their new content. :thumbsup:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nalesh posted:

How's the playerbase of this nowadays? Haven't touched it in a whiiiiile

Playing with goons is fine. Finding friends to play with is great.

Random players suck. Don't play with random players. Discord link in OP.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Finally managed to wrangle another crew into doing the new adventure, the final part after you play the music is neat. My crew also did the new Athena voyage which was better than I expected, it goes by fast and there's new trinkets.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Hommando posted:

Finally managed to wrangle another crew into doing the new adventure, the final part after you play the music is neat. My crew also did the new Athena voyage which was better than I expected, it goes by fast and there's new trinkets.

Yeah the final battle is cool. The rest of it is a tedious grind (although you do get lots of meg meat)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Community Day on Sat, May 14th.

x3.5 Renown
x2 Gold/Rep (I think?)

Login Reward: A Flag Cosmetic + Wing Flap Emote
Twitch Drop: Gilded Phoenix Banjo

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My goons, it's Saturday and Community Day. Huge bonuses to gold, renown, and reputation along with some login bonuses.

If you're looking for folks to play with, we have a Sea of Thieves Goon Discord

I recommend checking out the #game-images-videos channel if you want to get a glimpse of the stuff we get up to. Mostly sinking ships!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EcstaticCriminalAmericangoldfinch-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WateryImaginativeAbyssiniangroundhornbill-mobile.mp4
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UltimateSolidAnaconda-mobile.mp4

Zesty fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 14, 2022

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Why do skelly forts even exist still, I'd much rather be fighting conquistador ghosts while someones going ham on a trumpet than dunking on some skeletons shite carpentry project.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm bored and on a pirate/age of sail kick lately and while this is not at all the Modern Sid Meier's Pirates game I crave, a youtube channel I've been watching recently has made it look a lot more fun than I heard it was when it first came out.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 16, 2022

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Full goon groups any night. Not hard finding folks. Make friends. :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Are there any good beginner resources to look into? Besides, obviously, just jumping on a goon ship and learning by doing.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Surely there's plenty available on YouTube, but it all boils down to "get quest, get loot, sell loot" or "find victim, murder victim, steal his loot, sell it".

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are there any good beginner resources to look into? Besides, obviously, just jumping on a goon ship and learning by doing.

Doing a few Tall Tales is what really got me into the game. Avoid the POTC ones when you start, the first few are pretty dull.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
One of my buddies has gotten me and two others into this so we're looking forward to being terrible PvPers and have some fun adventures.

We were thinking of starting off with 4 people on a brig to make it a bit easier to sail around and fight other ships. Is this a good idea or should we just use a galleon?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

A four person brig would be a great idea, there's enough things to do that all four of your could be busy at all times. Adjusting two sails would be quick and easy with a coordinated team of four, and with the brig's speed and maneuverability you could be a real terror in a fight, sending multiple borders over while keeping multiple crew back to repair and steer the ship. The biggest downside that I can think of would be that it's impossible and you can't queue into a brig with four people lol

If there's four of you, Galleon is your only option (outside of spending an hour repeatedly loading into the game to try and get two sloops onto the same server and then forming an alliance, which is fun but can be prohibitively time consuming and RNG to accomplish).

A galleon is a good place for a group of new-to-newish players to start. Everyone gets to do a little bit of everything (because you have to; there's too many cannons and sails and repair-points for just one or two people to manage it), you're a big obvious threat on the horizon which scares away most players (but be very wary of anyone who thinks they can take you on, because they probably can if they're willing to dive a random galleon), and there's a lot of you around to keep an eye on the boat and the horizon when you're on islands doing maps or whatever.

Once everyone starts getting used to how the game works and roles they like and just start doing things on their own, you can be become extremely difficult to sink as a galleon.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 17, 2022

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Yeah, the whole point of the different ship types is you're only allowed a crew count where you'll need everyone to maneuver comfortably (although you can manage with one less). Extra hands would be an overwhelming tactical advantage.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah the game is designed to be fairly slow-paced and that includes the slow cascade of failures that eventually sinks your boat. The different ship sizes are all set up so that under-crewed teams can't do everything they need to, in order to fight or escape or repair and all that. Being able to stuff more crew onto any of the boats than they're designed for would make you unkillable. Galleon fights, as rare as they are these days, are already war-of-attrition slugfests as it is

I always joke about a four-crew sloop, you would be just a complete terror. It would make a great limited/event game mode if they didn't just take the arena out behind the shed.

well, unstoppable until a single keg kills all four of you at the same time lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 17, 2022

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Performed my first Solo Sloop on Solo Sloop sinking last night after a long running and slightly shambolic battle.

Exhilarating, but then he boarded me, killed me, and then set my boat on fire and spawn camped until I skuttled. Mistakes were made and play smarter next time.

Look forward to trying to get on a Goon Boat this weekend.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Mighty Steed posted:

Performed my first Solo Sloop on Solo Sloop sinking last night after a long running and slightly shambolic battle.

Exhilarating, but then he boarded me, killed me, and then set my boat on fire and spawn camped until I skuttled. Mistakes were made and play smarter next time.

Look forward to trying to get on a Goon Boat this weekend.

Next time hop on the goon discord, or even the official one, and ask for help. People are often happy to jump into a fight and lend a hand

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah especially if you're like, right in that moment in the middle of getting owned, usually you'll be able to at least temporarily pull someone in.

But good job though. As a solo it's very difficult, basically luck, to recover from getting spawn-camped.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
the new adventure has easily obtainable reaper rowboats with rear mounted kegs that can apparently 1 shot a galleon. works on skeleton ships too

this is absolutely peak goblin gameplay. enjoy it while it lasts 😈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Thief posted:

the new adventure has easily obtainable reaper rowboats with rear mounted kegs that can apparently 1 shot a galleon. works on skeleton ships too

this is absolutely peak goblin gameplay. enjoy it while it lasts 😈

It's amazing. I missed a board on a brig and sank it anyway because they had a bomb rowboat!