Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

haven't got a chance to gently caress with them yet. how many shots can they take? I read they were at least a little armored. Will they survive a near cannon hit (I'm assuming a direct hit will kill)

SoT is at its best when they just introduce new destructive things and let players have as many as they want. I still remember the chaos when Keg Skellies were new and Rare made the spawns like every single pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

It takes three shots to pop it

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
these kegboats are :perfect:

a whole new reason to tow extras while someone solo's the main ship and maybe even sideswipe rams into their target :snoop:

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Results of the latest adventure: Golden Sands is saved. How boring.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Naw this was a fun sort of pvpve thing, gently caress tha reapers but i hope they attempt to bring down other outposts

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJd72ykl-Ac

at long last

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
After ten thousand years, I can finally get my HMS Front Fell Off in this game.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Unsinkable 3 sails again

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

I am 100% going to sail the poonsmasher69 ever since that one guy complained about it on the SoT reddit and I found out "poon" traditionally means "fool" in English

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I just got into SoT a few days ago - is there a good resource for beginners to sort out all the reputation / quest / random other stuff that’s second nature for people who’ve played since launch?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there's wikis and stuff but i would try to enjoy knowing as little as possible about the game for as long as you can. you can try pressing tab and sift through the stuff while sailing around with whoever

the bilgerat sections are generally organized based on when they came out

each faction has their own commendations

there's a ton of stuff to do in this game. my recommendation is to just sail around for a while and you'll eventually encounter all sorts of players that focus on different things. once you find something that interests you go ahead and focus on completing related tasks.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

I think the one thing that can be universally agreed upon is "if you're doing Merchant voyages, avoid the animal collection ones like the plague. The cargo runs and shipwreck hunts are far less frustration for a better payout"

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Cool, thank you both - I do love letting games unfold but I also hate screwing myself out of things 20 hours in because I‘ve been selling my shimmering widgets instead of hoarding them or whatever.

Icedude posted:

I think the one thing that can be universally agreed upon is "if you're doing Merchant voyages, avoid the animal collection ones like the plague. The cargo runs and shipwreck hunts are far less frustration for a better payout"
Yeah I picked a quest at random and got an animal collection quest for one of my first quests and gave up after like 10 minutes of trying to figure out who would sell me a chicken, then when I googled where to get one I and immediately abandoned it.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Never sell your shimmering widgets.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I just got into SoT a few days ago - is there a good resource for beginners to sort out all the reputation / quest / random other stuff that’s second nature for people who’ve played since launch?

Another crew saying ‘WE’RE FRIENDLY’ when you encounter them is a secret code.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

the entire progression of the game is cosmetic so don't stress too much over any meta stuff. the only thing that really matters is sail angling and itll be one of the first things any moderately experienced player can teach you on the fly mid-game.

but if you enjoy grinding then there are certainly several things that will take many hours to complete even with ocd min/maxing.

every island is hand crafted and there are all sorts of things hidden all over the seas if you simply want to explore

for cosmetics maybe try googling a list of titles and how to unlock them. also go window shop at an outpost and see what commendations you need to unlock the stuff you like. or you can skip all that and straight up buy cool stuff from the emporium (above the order of souls tent) to pay2win

overall this is one of the purest sandbox games ever with such a wide variety of player interactions you'll find a near endless amount of stuff to see and do, even if you only play solo. the single most important thing i would recommend is using a mic but even that isn't exactly neccessary. some of the most skilled players in the game will just spam the chat emotes or be totally silent.

also once you feel comfortable navigating i recommend trying the shroudbreaker tall tales which im pretty sure can be started in any tavern or with the help of an experienced player

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Do you need to be a certain rep to do tall tales or can you start them straight away?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Bar Patron posted:

Do you need to be a certain rep to do tall tales or can you start them straight away?

You should be able to start right away. I think doing the first one gives you a clue as to where to start the 2nd one and so on, however.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

you should be able to start the first one right away. iirc the book is by the mysterious stranger in the bar

after you complete them they start unlocking more and more. each one is generally different enough that its worth checking out at least the first half.

like some of the puzzles are actually quite impressive once they click and honestly its ruined a lot of questing for me that i see in other videogames that are basically like lol literally run to the <Waypoint> 124m away

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If you dont know where to start a tall tale the place where you check out all the cheevos for them tells you where to start it.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Thief posted:

you should be able to start the first one right away. iirc the book is by the mysterious stranger in the bar

after you complete them they start unlocking more and more. each one is generally different enough that its worth checking out at least the first half.

like some of the puzzles are actually quite impressive once they click and honestly its ruined a lot of questing for me that i see in other videogames that are basically like lol literally run to the <Waypoint> 124m away

Yeah the quests are really fantastic, at least for the shroudbreaker arc.

There are three ‘groups’ of tall tales to do. In order, they are:

- The Shroudbreaker arc of nine original Tall Tales. These are awesome and will take you and your crew a good amount of time to finish.
- A two-quest arc of stuff in the Devil’s Roar (volcano islands).
- A Pirate’s Life, a set of five fairly dull Tall Tales featuring soundalikes of your favourite characters from Pirates of the Caribbean. These are fine as theme park rides but a big step down in terms of quality.

Finally there are monthly Adventures now, which are kind of mini Tall Tales. The next one won’t start for a few weeks.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Did they improve on the godawful underwater combat yet? When the seaforts came out a year ago it was so terrible on controller that I just quit the game after daily playing for nearly 3 years.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

I still wants 6dof for underwater stuff, I still get spacially confused by the flipped over shipwrecks sometimes because I can't do the movement I can do in space engineers

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Did they improve on the godawful underwater combat yet? When the seaforts came out a year ago it was so terrible on controller that I just quit the game after daily playing for nearly 3 years.

i don't think anything has changed, but i never saw anything especially bad with it when i was playing (albeit mouse and keyboard). what did you hate?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The enemies constantly zoom over your head or below you, and shoot you in the back. You can't turn around quickly AND accurately on a controller, so I spent most of my time looking around for my enemies. I did exactly one underwater vault and it was so tiresome and annoying that I just quit after that.

Before that update the game was 95% land combat and I was doing ok. I had a feeling the newly added emphasis on the aquatic life would give me this problem. :(

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
Thanks again for all the info - I actually just started up the Pirates of the Caribbean tall tale and am really enjoying it since I have a lot of good memories from the ride as a kid.

I’m also glad to hear there’s a decent amount of stuff that can be done solo; I moved to Europe and my old gaming buddies are back in the US so I can’t always join them when they’re playing.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Join the discord - I’m UK based and miss out on most of the goon botes so be good to have some more sailors in this time zone!

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sywert of Thieves posted:

The enemies constantly zoom over your head or below you, and shoot you in the back. You can't turn around quickly AND accurately on a controller, so I spent most of my time looking around for my enemies. I did exactly one underwater vault and it was so tiresome and annoying that I just quit after that.

Before that update the game was 95% land combat and I was doing ok. I had a feeling the newly added emphasis on the aquatic life would give me this problem. :(

Underwater combat hasn't really changed, but also doesn't happen as often compared to the land combat. They toned down siren spawns, so you only occasionally encounter them while exploring wrecks. The Disney Tall Tales have some underwater combat sections, as do the Vaults and Treasuries, but are easily ignored if you don't care about achievements or the handful of cosmetics. In fact, the Vaults and Treasuries don't offer up all that much loot compared to other voyages, and aren't really worth it unless you have a coral bottle quest. I don't really do them these days unless I luck into two such quests for the same location, as multiple Breaths of the Sea are the only thing that makes them worth revisiting.

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

I’m also glad to hear there’s a decent amount of stuff that can be done solo; I moved to Europe and my old gaming buddies are back in the US so I can’t always join them when they’re playing.

Fair warning that playing solo becomes hard mode as soon as you encounter hostile crews, which can be especially frustrating if your still learning combat. If your able to get at least one other person to play with, it's recommended and opens up a lot more of the game.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Fair warning that playing solo becomes hard mode as soon as you encounter hostile crews, which can be especially frustrating if your still learning combat. If your able to get at least one other person to play with, it's recommended and opens up a lot more of the game.

On the flip side, defeating larger crews solo is one of the best feelings ever

https://youtu.be/_SUyRiJOYuU?t=95

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is there a trick to fighting Sirens? Feels like they just ruin my poo poo and it’s hard to tell if anything I’m doing is having an effect up until they’re suddenly dead.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
Use a trident or shoot them with your gun until they die. There's no real good way to fight them, they're always awkward to deal with so I ignore them 90% of the time.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I love the bloodlust mouse shake when you board them.

Hommando fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 15, 2022

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Forever in awe at your combat skill.

PantsOptional posted:

Is there a trick to fighting Sirens? Feels like they just ruin my poo poo and it’s hard to tell if anything I’m doing is having an effect up until they’re suddenly dead.

Shooting them from a distance is the best bet, ideally from the safety of your boat. If your in the water, you'll want to have some food on hand, as they do a decent amount of damage with their melee attacks. Note that they won't enter a wreck, so you can hide there if needed. They are usually easier in the Tall Tales, Vaults, and Treasuries, where there is plenty of fruit, ammo and tridents around.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DeadlyMuffin posted:

lmfao as soon as I heard them throw your anchor after you were already climbing their ladder I knew it was a wrap, gg.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

glitchwraith posted:

Forever in awe at your combat skill.

I die plenty, but sometimes I get lucky too :-)

glitchwraith posted:

Shooting them from a distance is the best bet, ideally from the safety of your boat. If your in the water, you'll want to have some food on hand, as they do a decent amount of damage with their melee attacks. Note that they won't enter a wreck, so you can hide there if needed. They are usually easier in the Tall Tales, Vaults, and Treasuries, where there is plenty of fruit, ammo and tridents around.

This is good advice. Having an ammo crate in the water or even climbing back on the boat to reload helps too

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

PantsOptional posted:

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a siren shot.

(Seriously though, they aim where you're standing so just sidestep a tiny bit and they'll never hit you)

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
I joined the Goon Sea of Thieves Discord a while ago but as I'm reaching the age where new things scare me I'm not clear how it works in practice if you're down to play.

How do you get from LFG to playing together? Do you need to share gamer IDs via a separate chat? Is there a voice channel separate to in-game chat?

I'm also based in the UK so can maybe get a Britannia Rules the Waves thing going on.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

You can add your xbox tag in your discord profile by going to options>connections and then adding xbox, easiest way to figure out peoples tags. And yeah, we use discord instead of ingame chat because ingame chat is bad.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Mighty Steed posted:

I joined the Goon Sea of Thieves Discord a while ago but as I'm reaching the age where new things scare me I'm not clear how it works in practice if you're down to play.

How do you get from LFG to playing together? Do you need to share gamer IDs via a separate chat? Is there a voice channel separate to in-game chat?

I'm also based in the UK so can maybe get a Britannia Rules the Waves thing going on.

I think people mostly use the discord chat rooms for voice chat. If you're on xbox you can either keep a phone/laptop nearby to use Discord on, or try to convince your teammates to use Xbox Live Party chat (which is moderately hard to configure on PC). In-game voice chat is a last resort since that drops off at larger distances, I think.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Mighty Steed posted:

The way I usually get into games from the Discord:

1. The Discord's chat bot can assign notification roles that will allow others to ping you when looking for group. Go to the #roles channel and follow the directions to set that up. Most people use the general @LFG, but there is also @EU for those specifically looking for players in European time zones.

2. When your ready to play, go to #looking-for-group and use @LFG or @EU to let people know your looking for players, or respond to people doing the same. I'll usually suggest what I'm in the mood to do if I have a specific task in mind.

3. Join one of the voice channels and exchange gamer IDs to friend each other in the X-Box app, if you haven't played together before.

4. Have someone start a closed crew in game, and everyone joins on them or they send everyone an invite.

5. Pirate.

Most Goons chat in the Discord, as it allows for discreet communication and isn't limited by distance. The in-game chat is mainly used to communicate with other crews when and if you feel like attempting a more diplomatic tact, which has a better success rate than you would expect. Note that the speaking trumpet will increase the distance of both voice and text chat in-game (or hilariously, shorten it if reversed).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey
Thanks everyone, much clearer now.