Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I think I know who you are talking about. Dude is cool and chill but he literally sounds like a stereotypical pirate all the time.

If only we can all be so lucky...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Had a good chill pve session tonight just looting islands. Sorry to the goon who’s accent I mistook as RP :facepalm: you’re awesome for helping me out. Hopefully I wasn’t too annoyingly clueless.

During our session I was the captain and got randomly disconnected in game. Never lost internet connection, but I couldn’t rejoin on him to get back in game.
So I had to close the client and rejoin, but when I did that we could not longer turn into the sovereign vendor, as neither of us were considered captains of the ship for some stupid reason. Not sure if that was a known issue.

Weird. I know they keep ship spots reserved for a bit if you disconnect without using the escape menu, specifically to make it easier to reconnect after technical difficulties. Which, fyi, is why you shouldn't alt-f4 if your swapping out, as it the new player can't get in until after that buffer period. Anyway, I'm surprised they didn't tie captaincy to the same system.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

glitchwraith posted:

Weird. I know they keep ship spots reserved for a bit if you disconnect without using the escape menu, specifically to make it easier to reconnect after technical difficulties. Which, fyi, is why you shouldn't alt-f4 if your swapping out, as it the new player can't get in until after that buffer period. Anyway, I'm surprised they didn't tie captaincy to the same system.

You're supposed to be able to rejoin as captain using that system, but it's pretty glitchy and temperamental. Always has been in my experience, it's just now with it tied to milestone progression etc it's more noticable

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.

I did the thing. QoL stuff looks great, now I just need 21 more coral bottles and I can die happy :smithicide:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/wl85k5/banned_for_my_ships_name_after_reporting_another/

This seems harsh, I figured as long as your ship name wasn't blatantly offensive you'd get a warning and a voucher to change the name. If this player is telling the truth they went from a clean record to a week suspension, revoked naming privileges, and a final warning.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Oh no, who would've seen it coming that players would think up offensive names for their ships that would slip through the profanity filters?

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Oh no, who would've seen it coming that players would think up offensive names for their ships that would slip through the profanity filters?

all aboard the Hard Arrr!

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
Hack going around that let's people fly around in the sky dropping kegs on ships, just a heads up.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Thief posted:

That’s actually hilarious.

What’s the dumpiest looking textures? I’ve named my sloop the Putrid Morsel. I’d like it look like a floating shanty and to my my dude look like a bereaved Jeffrey lebowski.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Aug 11, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Thief posted:

oh noooooo

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS

Thief posted:

Oh god that's good. Not worth risking a ban though unfortunately.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Hommando posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Seaofthieves/comments/wl85k5/banned_for_my_ships_name_after_reporting_another/

This seems harsh, I figured as long as your ship name wasn't blatantly offensive you'd get a warning and a voucher to change the name. If this player is telling the truth they went from a clean record to a week suspension, revoked naming privileges, and a final warning.

Guess that means "Going Apeship" is out then.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

That’s actually hilarious.

What’s the dumpiest looking textures? I’ve named my sloop the Putrid Morsel. I’d like it look like a floating shanty and to my my dude look like a bereaved Jeffrey lebowski.

Silent barnacle looks pretty worn down. Hunter sails do too iirc

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

:perfect:

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am all over this game again. This update and the things I missed out on over the past year have reinvigorated me.

Also my son, who loves pirates, is tickled to death helping me with the Disney tall tales so it is pretty :3:

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

I am loving this harpoon and elevator at the sovereign thing. I'm never selling any other way again.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Bar Patron posted:

I am loving this harpoon and elevator at the sovereign thing. I'm never selling any other way again.

Yeah me and my usual crew are pretty new to the game so we don’t have our own galleon but I got used to captaining my own sloop and it was a chore to do the high level merchant emissary turn ins without the sovereigns

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

There were people literally hating on certain outposts because turning in loot took way too long (*cough* Daggertooth) so it's good that Rare added this as a nice QOL update.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Man I bought a ship and named it the Unsinkable III after being a coward and not naming it Poon Smasher 69 like I promised. I'm not sure if seeing 100 Unsinkable IIIs out there is funnier or not.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Kitchner posted:

Man I bought a ship and named it the Unsinkable III after being a coward and not naming it Poon Smasher 69 like I promised. I'm not sure if seeing 100 Unsinkable IIIs out there is funnier or not.

"Poon" isn't allowed

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Just spell out 420

Set sail on the Four Twenty.

Hell, can you add Sixty-Nine?

Four-Twenty Sixty-Nine

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
All aboard my ship “twenty character limit”

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

All aboard my ship “twenty character limit”

You'd make it if you take out the spaces I think

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I played this a fair bit a couple years back with friends. Captaincy got me to get back into it solo this time. The solo experience is a lot better with that lovely harpoon tower to sell things. Those quick ghost fortresses are a nice way to get a pile of loot quickly too.

drat being a captain is a money sink though. That's good, it makes it more fun to actually try and make money, but I am literally out of money after I bought a half dozen trinkets, a bed, curtain and rug.

So it's incredibly frustrating that my ship keeps reverting to default after I spend all that money to make the customizations stick. I've paid to have everything customized permanently twice now, and it halfway reverted again and I guess at this point I should painstakingly apply all the pieces each time I log in like before the update, so as to not keep draining my meager gold savings.

And while I'm griping it's also a pretty dick move for them to not make it clear there's only one slot for plants on a sloop. I bought a couple random things to test how the trinket system worked and there was nothing to indicate that the plants were different than the shelf trinkets. That's a lot of money I could have really used to get the game to remember my customizations a third time.

Well, nevertheless, it's a great game to listen to podcasts while you sail around. Ran into someone with a sloop named Thousand Sunny and had a nice chat about One Piece. I generally do my best not to interact with strangers online so that was a nice novelty.

I do have a question though: What's the best way to grind for the Silent Barnacle set? It's hands down the coolest set in the game, and the fact that I have to work for it... a lot... is kind of nice. Gives me something to work towards. But it's very slow going to get to 300 barnacle chests. I've been getting around 5 a night when I'm really going for them. I've been logging in, checking for a shipwreck within view of where I spawn, and if there's not one logging out and trying again. Is there a better way to find shipwrecks? I saw there was a map of their potential spawns online, but they spawn rarely enough that I didn't really figure out an effective way to use it- like if there was a route I could take by a bunch of potential spawns.

I heard taking out skeleton sloops is another good way to get barnacle chests, but I can not figure out how to defeat them solo. At least not with any regularity. Having to repair myself means I can't really get damage into them fast enough to actually sink them before they can repair.

Any other good way to get barnacle chests? When I started this project I only had 30ish, and now I'm up to 90, so I'm getting there, but it's slow going to 300.

My favorite method of getting barnacle chests was this one time I sailed into a kraken that was attacking a galleon full of X-Box kids. I let them basically commandeer my sloop and fight off the kraken after their galleon sunk. It was pretty funny. When they went to sell their recovered stuff (on my sloop) I asked if I could sell their barnacle chests and got a couple that way. One of the more fun player interactions I've had in this game, even if they were really annoying kids.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

To get barnacle chests just sail around the map looking for shipwrecks and skeleton sloops, and scan beaches with your spyglass as you sail by. I’m up to about 160 and just try to get a couple per session and not worry about it beyond that. If you really wanted to grind for it you could server hop looking for reaper chests close to the outpost, but that would be mind-numbing and you wouldn’t be able to get anything else done. You could also grind skeleton fleets but those are a pain in the rear end solo.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Eiba posted:

I do have a question though: What's the best way to grind for the Silent Barnacle set?

Skeleton ships are a good bet too. The fleet event's are pretty fun and a good way to get 5-6 barnacle chests or so. That's pretty daunting solo, but you can find a goon buddy pretty easily.

Definitely sink any skelly sloops you see, they're quite easy solo and you'll get a chest or two.

But don't try and grind it all at once imo, do it as a constant secondary task. It's a great ship set, the hull looks especially good on a brig.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOr_kMTp7wU

lol the last adventure ended dramatically with players down at the docks of the sea dog tavern and this trailer ends with Duke just standing up on the roof like "you know... they'll come here to save him"

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1593652181181558784?s=20&t=mYwfkc1DAxKrGTXe-BFw6g

Reviving this thread to share that Season 8 has been announced, and it's PVP focused! Launches next Tuesday, and adds rival PVP factions that you can opt into at any point. Doing so allows you to either invade the server of an opposing faction ship via crew size and skill based match making, or to be invaded as you adventure normally. Sinking enemy ships and collecting treasure while in a faction gives you ranks in that faction, which can unlock expanded areas of the Reaper and Athena bases, where you can get new cosmetics like the the brand new skeleton and ghost curses!

Really excited for the update. Can't wait to join the skeleton war.

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Sounds awesome. Walk the plank you scallywags.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

okay the new update is great

you can pvp on demand

random ships passing by in adventure can get involved

haven't tried it yet but apparently you can que up with an alliance (edit: okay i tried it again and it dropped the alliance when we dove underwater but you can merge into a fight and ally with the random ships around your hourglass zone)

this will create a lot of new opportunities for all sorts of players all while making casual ships less likely to be targeted by actual good players. overall i think they've done a very good job addressing the concerns of both sweaty pvp-focused players and gamepass tall tale enjoyers all while keeping it within adventure. this is the best thing to happen to the game since cursed cannonballs. also twitch streamers are gonna have their work cutout for them now lol

Thief fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Nov 23, 2022

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I understood pvp through the new pvp faction thingy just offers better rewards (and opponents), but regular pvp is still possible anyway. Hopefully it has the intended effect of keeping pvp to pvp fans. 👍

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

it will! we can pvp on demand, and when things inevitably slow down, we can resume jumping regular ships like normal. everybody wins.

the on-demand pvp queuing gets your reaper level up real fast (provided you win), and it's also a convenient way to jump into a different server if yours is dead.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

apparently you can cancel the matchmaking if you go underwater and arent instantly put into a map

idk if this just spits you out into a new server and lets you keep your emmissary but lol that might be a way to flush yourself out of a fight if someone won't leave you alone and you dont care if you lose the loot

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
That sounds promising, but I still long for PvE/single player open world mode. Too stressful to constantly be waiting for someone to come gank me while I’m solo slooping.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Dalaram posted:

That sounds promising, but I still long for PvE/single player open world mode. Too stressful to constantly be waiting for someone to come gank me while I’m solo slooping.

I don't think that'll ever happen. Alliance servers are as close as you can get to that.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Salt 2 or Atlas might be better choices if the pvp is that much of a problem for you. I don’t really go for the pvp myself, but the constant threat and high stakes of running around and outmaneuvering aggressive ships is such a huge part of what makes SoT fun. It’s what makes the game different.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I hope they add a shrinking circle. Seems like two evenly matched crews just turns into a “who hoarded more supplies” contest.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
a more fun and in character thing for the game would be a chain between the two ships that decreased in length over time(basically a harpoon rope that can't be broken), bonus points if you could use it to slam other ships into islands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

inverse kraken circle. get too close to the edge, get slapped.