Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Once you accept that this is a game based on an idea of "what if there was a pirate game where you could take three buddies and try to operate a ship and fight other ships" and that's all they had to go on, it gets easier to decide whether to get the game or not. All the progression and cosmetics and stuff is just distractions to try and justify the price tag and keep player retention up. If that's not worth it to you, don't get it.

I wouldn't disagree with it "not being enough" either, but gently caress it. Trying to sail a ship with some bros sounds like a good enough game loop that I'll not regret buying it. If nothing else the gifv's will be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Chomp8645 posted:

Cool, sounds straightforward enough.

Is there any, like, risk though? Like if another player ship comes along and sends you to the bottom of the ocean is it just "welp RIP chests in the hold" and nothing else? Or is there some system like they have going on in Hunt: Showdown were you lose things on a dead mission?

e: basically I want to know if failure and/or players killing each other means anything or not, and if you basically just "max out" your progression and there really isn't anything new to do or anything to knock you down.

There's no risk other than the chests on your ship and you risk wasting your time basically. Idea is it's a pretty casual game, so it's not like EVE where your ship dies and dies and you can dig yourself into a hole. The main reason to kill other players is a) it's fun and b) if you sink them and take all their chests you can become rich.

xzzy posted:

Once you accept that this is a game based on an idea of "what if there was a pirate game where you could take three buddies and try to operate a ship and fight other ships" and that's all they had to go on, it gets easier to decide whether to get the game or not. All the progression and cosmetics and stuff is just distractions to try and justify the price tag and keep player retention up. If that's not worth it to you, don't get it.

I wouldn't disagree with it "not being enough" either, but gently caress it. Trying to sail a ship with some bros sounds like a good enough game loop that I'll not regret buying it. If nothing else the gifv's will be great.

Yeah, I've played the game a ton and on a galleon with friends it's super fun. The cosmetics and poo poo like that is just an excuse to keep playing really. The game will die if they don't keep adding stuff long term for sure, but even on release I'll probably play it solid for months so it's worth it to me really.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, thanks for the explanation. I still might pick it up, as it does seem fun. I was just hoping for some real weighty piracy and such.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Buddy and I rocked a sloop around for a few hours last night and took down a pair of galleons and a couple sloops. Last one of the night was a galleon that we traded shots with for a few minutes before ramming them when they dropped anchor to try to get a broadside on us. As we boarded and started hacking them down I heard over local chat gently caress not again!.

We waited for them to respawn and helped them fix up the ship before we let them launch us off into the sunset with the cannons. If thats not solid piracy I dunno what more you could want.

Macintosh HD
Mar 9, 2004

Oh no its today
I get that progression is important to some people, but I don't see why it has to be a point of contention in every single game.

I suppose we don't know how long "just sailing a pirate ship with friends" will remain compelling on its own. It's just a little early to be worried about it, in my opinion.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

i played sea of thieves for my first time today. my friends literally showed me the ropes, and i took on basically every role. we ran into an enemy ship, some experienced players, and by working together really well we managed to get the drop on them through superior sail usage, and take them down. as they were sinking(the crew slaughtered), i ran down into the quickly filling up deck to grab the last of the cannonballs. the ship was going down in the water as i jumped off the bow, climbing onto the rope at the last second. the respawned crew swam after us, cursing us out and firing shots as we stood - playing a sad sea shanty to them - while our ship left them stranded by some rocks. we continued playing as the sun went down, until they were nothing but dots on the horizon.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Had an interesting bug earlier today. Ended up on a ship that already had a full crew. We played 5 for a whole, went to turn in some chests, and then had two more people join the crew. They all showed as green, and some showed in the crew list menu, but we couldnt vote to lock them in the brig or anything.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Chomp8645 posted:

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I still might pick it up, as it does seem fun. I was just hoping for some real weighty piracy and such.
A ship full of chests probably took the better part of an afternoon for that team to collect, a few hours at least. It's not like EVE where you can wipe out years of progress, but taking someone's entire haul in comparatively little time is still going to be attractive to the grief-seeking folks. Though eventually even the dummies are gonna learn to deposit their booty more often, but that just means more chances to rob them when they land at the outpost...

If you have an Xbox I would definitely recommend just waiting and buying a month of Game Pass cause if you hate it it'll take way less than a month to hate it. Though maybe you can sign up without an Xbox too, I never checked.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sea of Thieves - The never-ending quest for Booty

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CrashCat posted:

A ship full of chests probably took the better part of an afternoon for that team to collect, a few hours at least. It's not like EVE where you can wipe out years of progress, but taking someone's entire haul in comparatively little time is still going to be attractive to the grief-seeking folks. Though eventually even the dummies are gonna learn to deposit their booty more often, but that just means more chances to rob them when they land at the outpost...

If you have an Xbox I would definitely recommend just waiting and buying a month of Game Pass cause if you hate it it'll take way less than a month to hate it. Though maybe you can sign up without an Xbox too, I never checked.

I make it a point to always have a couple chests on board whenever I go to war with somebody. if they can kill/sink me and access my ship, they deserve a reward. :colbert:

Also today I got in a frantic below decks battle to keep a crew from bailing out the water from a gunpowder keg I blew up in their hold, and killed two of them with one cutless charge as the ship went under. :yarr:

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I played last night, with a group of pubbies, (since I couldn't find any goons) and it was pretty fun. They showed me the ropes, with them I discovered you can blow up your own ship if you stack some gunpowder barrels together. They didn't even notice... This boat was pretty cool, it was black with a Shark jaw on its flag.

For my 2nd run I got into a sloop by myself, and spend a couple of hours picking fights with other galleons, my tactic was to piss them off enough they would chase me, and I would drive them into sand shoals or other galleons. There was a particular group of pubbies that were pretty butthurt and decided to follow me around for a long time.

During the time I was able to shake them off, I would go into islands and find gunpowder barrels and brought them to my sloop.

The next time I ran into them they were parked at one of the outposts, so I parked behind their own ship and stacked all my gunpowder on their hold then blew it up, I got myself killed along with all of them... ended on that ghost ship death scene...

While they were trying to patch the galleon, I left on my sloop to the next outpost.

If I was able to do this just by myself, I can't imagine how much shenanigans and goonfear we can cause with some groups of goons in boats.

I'm hoping the Ship Master will let you buy new ships and paint and sails for them... I imagine that is going to be the expensive part of the game...

All being said I think this game will give me my money's worth for the next couple of months...

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I can see them only having these two ships, they fill specific roles and thats fine, but seeing variants of configuration like in Guns Of Icarus would be neat. A Galleon with cannons on the lower deck, and being closer to the waterline you usually keep the covers closed to prevent sinking your own ship. Fore and aft sail riggings that want to be aligned with the wind rather that perpendicular. Optional jibs that increase steering control but can harm it if not flown right.

Or maybe I just want Guns of Icarus with sail mechanics

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Blind Duke posted:

I can see them only having these two ships, they fill specific roles and thats fine, but seeing variants of configuration like in Guns Of Icarus would be neat. A Galleon with cannons on the lower deck, and being closer to the waterline you usually keep the covers closed to prevent sinking your own ship. Fore and aft sail riggings that want to be aligned with the wind rather that perpendicular. Optional jibs that increase steering control but can harm it if not flown right.

Or maybe I just want Guns of Icarus with sail mechanics

I see this game with different ships, but not that type of configuration... I could be wrong, but thats the feeling I have.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
I honestly think that they aren't going to really go crazy on the ship types. I think they may add one more ship for slightly larger crews, and then maybe one for 2-3 players that's basically sloop+ and then leave solo players.

One of the key thing they are really trying to stick to is that basically as a new player you and your friends can join and take on a crew of experienced players, and the only thing separating you bother is going to be skill. People on reddit keep going "but sidegrades!" but without actually considering that no game has ever implemented a meaningful sidegrade system. Either there is an optimal choice due to the nature of the game (e.g. you're faster if you wear less armour mechanics is better to be faster as the armour won't save you if someone has quickly nipped around you and shot you in the back) or the choices are pretty much equal and therefore meaningless (e.g. you can pick from three swords but the bonuses they give you are so mediocre and pointless you might as well pick the one you like the look of the most).

Some sort of huge but slow to turn ship with loads of cannons could in theory be fun for 6 people to play on, but it's already difficult enough to catch and kill a sloop as a galleon, having galleon+ is only going to make it even harder to actually kill people.

The more I play this game the more I think they should never introduced the sloop in the first place. From the closed beta like 66% of games were in a sloop, and while people have fun in them the game's concept was with the galleon, a ship that requires all four people working together to even sail from A to B (ok you can do it with 2 and even with 1 but you'll never survive combat or a storm with less than 3). Sloop players don't really have the same teamwork challenge as galleon players and right now they can just basically opt out of PvP, so it can be quite frustrating to actually try and hunt down other players.

Anyone who hasn't played with a galleon yet I definitely recommend teaming up with people on the discord channel or, at worst, pubbies through matchmaking even if you need to leave several games.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

AUD$100 on the Microsoft Store. gently caress you, Microsoft :australia:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mode 7 posted:

lol yeah this is pretty much why I'm not excited for this game anymore.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Mode 7 posted:

Australia tax strikes again

Knight007au
May 8, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

Yeah it sucks but for some reason I still had to get it. I haven't been this excited for a game in a along time and I'm not even really sure why. ( I guess it's a lot of things)

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Knight007au posted:

Yeah it sucks but for some reason I still had to get it. I haven't been this excited for a game in a along time and I'm not even really sure why. ( I guess it's a lot of things)

I think there is a whole lot of things that Sea of Thieves gets right that just makes it perfect for me to tool around in, solo or in a group. The water is incredible looking at anytime of day whether it's calm, choppy or raging. The islands are really pretty, piratey and fun to dick around on looking for clues or what have you. It's fun (to me) to bumble about an island trying to puzzle the exact location of so many X's even as a storm rolls in and you know you need to get a move on. I like solo operating a sloop, it's just the right amount of busy work while I take in the scenery looking about for potential foes on the waters even as I covet my extensive collection of shiny chests and skulls and plot my next course.

There's just so many things that come together that make me so excited just to be playing pirates. :3:

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I played this with a group of coworkers and quickly realized that they are morons. They never did anything to keep the sails trim, or fight back at all. 3 hours to idly bob from the output to the first island 'cause the wind changed? Oh well that's what it takes, lets stand around and play the same 3 songs on our instruments. Came under attack from another galleon? Oh well guess we lose these chests :downs:

:sigh:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

NeuralSpark posted:

I played this with a group of coworkers and quickly realized that they are morons. They never did anything to keep the sails trim, or fight back at all. 3 hours to idly bob from the output to the first island 'cause the wind changed? Oh well that's what it takes, lets stand around and play the same 3 songs on our instruments. Came under attack from another galleon? Oh well guess we lose these chests :downs:

:sigh:

Realising that you work with a lot of people who are smarter than you but also dumb as poo poo and the people above you aren't always smarter and the people below you are often smarter than you is like my number one thing I encouraged new hires to learn.

That said, I think actually being good at PvP in this game is tricky, there are a lot of variables and therefore no easy answer.

I'm probably going to spend some time pondering over this before launch, but I think what it comes down to is when you're on a galleon always board sloops, and against other galleons try to get on a good angle and sail relative to them to maintain it while pounding them with cannons. The other key thing is everyone needs to agree who is on the helm and basically the person on the helm decides what's being done tactics wise. You can't have people trying to do different things or jumping off the ship when you're supposed to be firing cannons.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

they need to add more instruments and songs. this should be very high on the dev priority.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Banjo and/or drums is the best guess for new instrument type.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

pog boyfriend posted:

they need to add more instruments and songs. this should be very high on the dev priority.

New songs are confirmed as unlockables. Some are tied to trading company progression, some are not (?)

As for new instruments, I agree, there should be 4, one for each crew member, however I haven't heard anything about this being on the horizon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Obviously the next step is a mario paint composer type interface and you can start a band with your crew.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

xzzy posted:

Obviously the next step is a mario paint composer type interface and you can start a band with your crew.

This idea is so great lol

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Has Rare said anything about when the next beta is? I'm tentatively on the hype train (that water is so goddamn pretty) but I missed the last open beta.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Kitchner posted:

Australia tax strikes again

I'm moving from Vancouver to Melbourne and my wage is going up over $10 an hour for the same thing. Plus nice weather etc. And games are $90 after tax in Canada. So Aussies "whinge" too much, in closing.

Or maybe Vancouverites don't whine enough.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

xzzy posted:

motherfuckers is going to be running around playing communist music and anachronistic pop songs

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

1stGear posted:

Has Rare said anything about when the next beta is? I'm tentatively on the hype train (that water is so goddamn pretty) but I missed the last open beta.

They barely even announced the second one last weekend so I wouldn't hold your breath for a detailed roadmap of betas.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

1stGear posted:

I mean launch date is 20 march, I'm going to assume whatever they do is going to go over a weekend again.

If we also assume it's not going to be this weekend, there's only three between now and launch date: 2 March, 9 March, and 16 March. So probably one of those weekends.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010

1stGear posted:

They plan to do at least one more stress test.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Anyone know the theoretical max crew size/min crew needed on the biggest ships?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

As of right now, just 4 and it's the galleon. I haven't read anything to suggest they're adding bigger ships.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
They've said a bit to the tune that they don't want the anarchy from coordinating anything larger than a 4 person crew. I bet since they already have legendary ships worked out they'll release a variant eventually on the galleon and sloop with different strengths. Frigate and brig?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
32 man sloop

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So the game is going to gimp keyboard and mouse users so that they don't dominate Xbox players (I guess this is crossplatform?), was this in the BETA and how bad was it? Or was this just bullshit I heard online?

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.

s.i.r.e. posted:

So the game is going to gimp keyboard and mouse users so that they don't dominate Xbox players (I guess this is crossplatform?), was this in the BETA and how bad was it? Or was this just bullshit I heard online?

There's a weird short lock on skeletons when you swing at them, but that's it. I don't think it's there when you swing at players.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Kimsemus posted:

Anyone know the theoretical max crew size/min crew needed on the biggest ships?

Max is four, minimum number of slots you can have is three.

You can literally sail the galleon with less if someone quits, but me and a goon (can't remember who) sailed with just two of us during server trouble and while you can go from A to B if someone attacked us we would be hosed.

Basically you should always have a 4 person crew where possible because even a pubbie is better than no one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

s.i.r.e. posted:

For what it's worth you only ever feel it with the swords but the main thing with the swords is the timing. You make three attacks and pause, and if you're hit by an attack it makes it difficult to attack back. So essentially you need to hit them first or block, wait for the third strike, and hit them, hoping they didn't block. If they block too, then you need to stop swinging and hope they swing, which you can block.

For guns I've not experienced locks or anything.