Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Songbearer posted:

32 man sloop
Totally down for clowncar sloopage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Oh man, how great would it be to get a couple of ships on the same server, then everyone just piles on a sloop. Other ships think they have it easy then 7 other pirates jump out of the hold.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Honestly teaming up is just super powerful in this. I'm actually wondering if the best PvP tactic is to find another ship as soon as you spawn and basically agree that you'll split any chests from ships they help sink.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Kitchner posted:

Honestly teaming up is just super powerful in this. I'm actually wondering if the best PvP tactic is to find another ship as soon as you spawn and basically agree that you'll split any chests from ships they help sink.
4v4 ship battles would be dope

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kitchner posted:

For what it's worth you only ever feel it with the swords but the main thing with the swords is the timing. You make three attacks and pause, and if you're hit by an attack it makes it difficult to attack back. So essentially you need to hit them first or block, wait for the third strike, and hit them, hoping they didn't block. If they block too, then you need to stop swinging and hope they swing, which you can block.

For guns I've not experienced locks or anything.

From what I heard the scoped in rifle turns the sensitivity down on the mouse so you can't just be a quick scope champion if you're good at that. Dunno if that's true though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This is not coming to PS4 right?

I was hoping it was just a timed exclusive, but it doesn’t look that way. Feeling very burned by pc hacking recently with PUBG and Division, so I wa hoping to get it on ps4.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

s.i.r.e. posted:

From what I heard the scoped in rifle turns the sensitivity down on the mouse so you can't just be a quick scope champion if you're good at that. Dunno if that's true though.

The sensitivity is turned down when aiming down sights, so yeah I guess that's true. If you have a DPI adjustable mouse though you can just whack that bad boy up.

Captain Beans posted:

I was hoping it was just a timed exclusive, but it doesn’t look that way. Feeling very burned by pc hacking recently with PUBG and Division, so I wa hoping to get it on ps4.

I mean Rare is owned by Microsoft Development Studios and there's cross play between xbox and PC so that's a hard no.

I mean if you have a PC and you're worried about cheats I wouldn't worry so much because it's all tied to gamer tags so I suspect cheaters get permenant banned pretty quickly. Yeah another £50 and another gamer tag brings them back but that's a high barrier of entry as it were.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not just tied to gamer tags, it's tied to the windows store and microsoft is super proud of the security of their UWP binaries. They're sandboxed off with limited privileges so the theory is if you get caught cheating there's no ambiguity about it and they got your rear end in a sling.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Captain Beans posted:

Since there's cross play it wouldn't help anyway. People cheating on PC could still affect your game on a console.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kitchner posted:

The sensitivity is turned down when aiming down sights, so yeah I guess that's true. If you have a DPI adjustable mouse though you can just whack that bad boy up.

Yeah but adjusting the mouse sensitivity every time I aim down sights is a giant annoyance. I wouldn't be surprised if they just limited the look speed in-engine so your mouse sensitivity wouldn't matter if you could only pan the camera at a max speed.

This is really dumb though if that's the case. Was there no option to adjust aiming speed down sights?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah but adjusting the mouse sensitivity every time I aim down sights is a giant annoyance. I wouldn't be surprised if they just limited the look speed in-engine so your mouse sensitivity wouldn't matter if you could only pan the camera at a max speed.

This is really dumb though if that's the case. Was there no option to adjust aiming speed down sights?

No option in the beta, can't say if that's a deliberate decision and it won't be in the final game or if it's on their to do list.

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
i dont think they want to cater to FPS gods. its a pirate game 'for everybody'.

if they do have regular/ADS sensitivities split though, I'll be happier than a pig in poo poo.

I don't think i've been more excited for a game release in my entire life than this one.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
You get a exclusive outfit plus sword and instruments for preodering, it's black and slightly fancy so get use to seeing this one everywhere for awhile.

And this one is comes with the Sea of Thieves special edition Xbox controller, I like the gold hook but probably wouldn't bother with the rest of it.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Someone had to be the first, but I'm surprised they beat Saints Row to dildo peglegs.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I'm really hopeful there is more "game" as we get more detail on the full experience. The core pirate co-op is pretty great, but just playing the beta had some of the stuff feel repetitive. Combined with the fact that the islands aren't procedural (which feels like a huge misstep) I just worry about the games longevity. PvP is properly fun though.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

I'm really hopeful there is more "game" as we get more detail on the full experience. The core pirate co-op is pretty great, but just playing the beta had some of the stuff feel repetitive. Combined with the fact that the islands aren't procedural (which feels like a huge misstep) I just worry about the games longevity. PvP is properly fun though.

The reason the islands aren't procedural is because they are all handcrafted. Like literally everything on the island has been placed there by a person with some thought behind what it is and then it's tagged so the riddle system works.

So like a grave with some swords stuck in it isn't just decoration, it's the swordsman's grave, which riddles then refer to.

Also procedural generation is fine to a point i think, in NMS you landed on a unique planet every time but since there's only like a couple of things that can change they are all very samey.

The one thing I think they should do is shuffle. The islands around in every instance. Keep the islands the same and in the same biome but just move them around. That way you can't ever learn precisely where they all are and sail around without a map.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kitchner posted:

The reason the islands aren't procedural is because they are all handcrafted.

Well, uh... duh.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Infinite procedural worlds!" is a marketing scam anyways, it's a gimmick that ends up drawing attention away from the shortage of content you can actually enjoy. I mean, look at the grandaddy of procedural terrain: Minecraft. You can literally spend months running in one direction and not hit the edge of anything but who gives a poo poo. Most people spend the entire game within 15 minutes of where they originally spawned.

And it's not like manually built game worlds are immune to trying to get customers to ignore how little content a game has, but at least there's a guarantee that any cave you spot actually has something interesting in there.

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Shame on you guys if you aren't studying your antique naval terminology in prep for launch

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On my ship it's gonna be front/back/left/right. Any sailors that try to correct me will be forced to jump off the diving board.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Minecraft's procgen is kinda bad tbh.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Minecraft's procgen was one of the things that kept me coming back and to try out new updates :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but my point is, the poster child of procgen doesn't really have that good a procgen, it was built by a single guy in his spare time while making a game.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Truga posted:

Yeah but my point is, the poster child of procgen doesn't really have that good a procgen, it was built by a single guy in his spare time while making a game.

So an entire team could maybe do it better? Kinda seems like most of the Hand-crafted islands really weren't that special. They had goofy island terrain and some "landmarks". I feel like that would be basic procgen 101. Sure there are a LOT of islands but eventually you'll just be like "Oh its another coocoo island run".

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
TBH there's a lot of really lovely pitfalls for procgen. The best way for a game like this would probably be to make prefabs (say, connectable parts of islands and some whole islands for smaller ones) and then when you want a new archipelago to explore you throw a new seed at the game, but that can get expensive quick.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I really wasn't trying to rate minecraft in any way. It's just an example everyone is familiar with that uses procedural generation and demonstrates how it doesn't really do poo poo for making a game better.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

xzzy posted:

I really wasn't trying to rate minecraft in any way. It's just an example everyone is familiar with that uses procedural generation and demonstrates how it doesn't really do poo poo for making a game better.

Except I and a lot of other people who loved exploring in Minecraft would strongly disagree. Without procgen I would have barely been into minecraft as opposed to ravenously devouring that game. I also maintain that the procgen in minecraft is quite good.

Yes just slapping procgen onto a game isn't necessarily going to make it better, but there are certain instances (say a game about visiting an ever increasing number of islands on a pirate ship) where it could be cool and good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

Yes just slapping procgen onto a game isn't necessarily going to make it better, but there are certain instances (say a game about visiting an ever increasing number of islands on a pirate ship) where it could be cool and good.

Apart from the fact that a big part of why the islands feel really cool is because they've all been designed to look unique and procedurally generated islands would feel just as samey?

Like XCOM 2 has procedurally generated maps and it's way better than playing the same maps over and over again in XCOM, but that's because the map is pretty irrelevant. It doesnt matter that it's the same stuff glued together in a different way each time, the map only exists to give your dudes cover to hide behind.

Its why I think a system similar to Sunless Sea would be good. The islands are grouped in biomes but each instance shuffles the islands in the biomes around. Its a good balance between handcrafted islands with lore and keeping people guessing as to where they need to sail.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kitchner posted:

Apart from the fact that a big part of why the islands feel really cool is because they've all been designed to look unique and procedurally generated islands would feel just as samey?

Like XCOM 2 has procedurally generated maps and it's way better than playing the same maps over and over again in XCOM, but that's because the map is pretty irrelevant. It doesnt matter that it's the same stuff glued together in a different way each time, the map only exists to give your dudes cover to hide behind.

Its why I think a system similar to Sunless Sea would be good. The islands are grouped in biomes but each instance shuffles the islands in the biomes around. Its a good balance between handcrafted islands with lore and keeping people guessing as to where they need to sail.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, if you took that away that is cool and good. But for me the islands already felt really samey, and while some were cute or clever it was still just a place to have a generic easter egg hunt. The PvP combat feels like the real meat of the game and the islands/treasure is basically just a way to give the fights meaning.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kitchner posted:

It's a double edged sword, because if the islands are all carefully crafted with their own unique character to them, then yes it'll work well. But that's only to a certain point; take Wind Waker for example (it's the closest analog to this I know of). All of the islands in WW are handcrafted but a lot of the islands are poo poo, many are variations of each other and only a few have a lot of thought put into them. For a game like Sea of Thieves, a little bit of procgen would help. Because the game is only going to ship with so many handcrafted islands it's only a matter of time before players start seeing them all. Having random islands you could come across that were procgen'd would be a nice way to keep seeing something new for players that end up sinking a lot of time into the game. Also, because they're all handcrafted adding more is going to take a while, if that's even planned. But doing procgen without it making complete pieces of poo poo is one hell of a task.

How many islands are there anyway? And how big can they get? One thing I don't like is that every island we've seen is really tiny and can be completely explored in 5-10 minutes. I'd love to see larger islands with dense jungles or cave systems that'll take a long time to comb through.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there a number on how many islands were in the game during the open beta? Was the map always the same?
Edit: I guess they could spice things up a bit by adding some sort of random events or stuff to the islands.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Feb 23, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Is there a number on how many islands were in the game during the open beta? Was the map always the same?
Edit: I guess they could spice things up a bit by adding some sort of random events or stuff to the islands.

I read an interview that described some of their post launch plans for the map.

quote:

The world is dynamic and changing – new islands can appear in our sea, islands can be destroyed, and what's on the islands will change over time too. Biomes can change. Imagine a curse is released and part of the world changes in some way. We'll "bolt on new bits" to some degree – but we'll do it intently to not jeopardize the ship encounters, and we'll also do things to our existing world too. For launch though, this is our world size. We're changing some things around, adding new reefs, adjusting placements, but this is the metric we believe in for our ship encounter frequency at launch. We've got a lot more island designs waiting in the wings… and we've been considering when to build and add those in.

So islands will appear and disappear, possibly according to some story in the background, I guess?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
He makes a really solid point there that hasn't really come up - the more islands available, the less chance you'd have of meeting other ships, as everyone in the instance would be more spread out.

Even in the alphas/betas, some islands have changed position/disappeared, and new ones added.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Knifegrab posted:

I'm not going to say you're wrong, if you took that away that is cool and good. But for me the islands already felt really samey, and while some were cute or clever it was still just a place to have a generic easter egg hunt. The PvP combat feels like the real meat of the game and the islands/treasure is basically just a way to give the fights meaning.

I mean I'm not going to say I even disagree, but I don't think it's anything to do with the islands. Like if you actually take the time to look around and stuff then you can see the they all have very different and interesting details, and some of the islands are definitely "stand outs". Not the small lovely ones but the big ones I put into a pile of "Oh ok cool, that place" and "Aww poo poo this place is a bitch". That is because though my main personal goal is mainly to gain a gold of gold, get a cool ship/legend status and kill punks. I don't really care about "exploring" because it has barely any reward, I know some people do but to me most of the islands are just things to hop around while we get gold and take it from others.

They could spend a year crafting a backstory per islands and putting all these details in but if there's no reason for me to go find it all then i personally can't be bothered. I was the same in destiny when it was like "Hey you can find objects that tell you more of the background but give no reward!" and I just looked it all up on wiki pages later.

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's a double edged sword, because if the islands are all carefully crafted with their own unique character to them, then yes it'll work well. But that's only to a certain point; take Wind Waker for example (it's the closest analog to this I know of). All of the islands in WW are handcrafted but a lot of the islands are poo poo, many are variations of each other and only a few have a lot of thought put into them. For a game like Sea of Thieves, a little bit of procgen would help. Because the game is only going to ship with so many handcrafted islands it's only a matter of time before players start seeing them all. Having random islands you could come across that were procgen'd would be a nice way to keep seeing something new for players that end up sinking a lot of time into the game. Also, because they're all handcrafted adding more is going to take a while, if that's even planned. But doing procgen without it making complete pieces of poo poo is one hell of a task.

How many islands are there anyway? And how big can they get? One thing I don't like is that every island we've seen is really tiny and can be completely explored in 5-10 minutes. I'd love to see larger islands with dense jungles or cave systems that'll take a long time to comb through.

I don't think they are really looking to add tons of new islands, they said they will consider enlarging the map after launch but I don't think they will. I think it's more likely they will just add and take away islands as they hinted in the dev diary, because otherwise you risk the whole balance messing up. For example, right now there are five outposts, and you assume that five ships spawn in an instance. Just for the sake of argument say the map is 100 by 100 something. If you double everything, and make it 200 x 200 and double the number of players, it doesn't actually work out, as the inital game has 1 player per 2,000sq measurement, whereas the bigger map has one per 8,000sq whatever. Even if you ratchet up the players per instance so you have a map twice as big but with 20 ships (you'd have to go from 5 to 20 to keep up!) you run the risk that they all end up clumped in one corner of the map shooting the poo poo out of each other while another dude is like in the other corner going "this game is boring, no one is around".

I think right now it's a good balance so that if you can't see anyone you can pick a direction and sail for like 5 minutes and you'll see someone. The bigger the area the more you run the risk of players either encountering people too often or not enough.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
On a slightly separate note, I was watching the last dev gameplay stream they did, and boy the devs they have playing are crap. They end up wasting all their cannon balls trying to shoot two sloops who just keep leaving and coming back, and the two sloops (also crewed by devs) don't actually land a single hit below the waterline.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Also surprise stress test starting tonight and ending on sunday. If you're reading this and wondering how to take part, you sign up using the xbox insider app on the PC or your xbox for free.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Does it require a pre-order still?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ZeusCannon posted:

Does it require a pre-order still?

Apparently not, I just signed up for it and I can install it through the app and I don't have a pre-order.

edit: Just tested it out, no pre-order needed, anyone can play this weekend.

sigher fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 23, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Is there anything new in this one? My home internet is pretty bad and I'll have to drag my laptop off to work or something is if I want to get it downloaded today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Caidin posted:

Is there anything new in this one? My home internet is pretty bad and I'll have to drag my laptop off to work or something is if I want to get it downloaded today.

No, in fact they have taken a couple of things out, most notably character selection and messages in bottles. They have tweaked the voyages too and frankly it's worse than before, but it may just be a thing to discourage PvE for the scale test