Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

One of my biggest issues with the game was that after you sunk someone they would just come right back at you 5 minutes later. This sounds like that x100. At the very least they need to switch servers after you sink them.

the main issue with that is that when your boat gets sunk, the survival meta becomes one of the most fun ways to play SoT - seeing how long you can get by with just a rowboat and making campfires on beaches. eventually you can make your way back to civilization or maybe even sneak/talk your way onto a different ship rather than ever taking a mermaid.

but yeah, i think that would be cool to scramble servers more often and would make battles for loot far more stressful knowing you only get 1 chance

stuff like FotD steals take so long to scoop up even in open water w/harpoons that a 3rd party will almost always come to see what's going on so there's not really a big need for the original boat to come back except to keep them from rage quitting the game. gonna need those PvE players to farm gold for the reapers :yarr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Remove mermaids

replace them with sharks

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The problem with making people switch servers is that thsrss loads of times we've died because of some sicker punch and then gone back to get our revenge or vice versa. Yeah it's kind of annoying if someone just keeps throwing themselves at you but you can hardly complain about that really, it's not different to random people constantly attacking you.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

half-migrating servers when you aren't solo would be a problem

lol imagine like sitting on the ferry for 30 minutes or whatever because your last guy alive is selling a single seafarer chest that they were too stubborn to give up

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

oh my god maxing out reaper poo poo lets you see all other factions on the map this is the best update ever :unsmigghh:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Wow, that explains why I saw someone post that everyone was leaving the server when they hit RB grade V, haha.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So reading up on this Emissary and Reaper's Bones stuff it seems extremely my poo poo, people encouraged to sit on vast hoards of treasure and a PvP faction that let's you find other ships after enough PvP? sign me the gently caress up.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Basically they expanded max levels from 50 to 75 (20 for Athena) and reward you for not sinking, with a max 2.5x multiplier on your gold+rep. I've also heard that when you hit max emissary grade (5) you can pick up a pseudo-gilded voyage from your respective trading company. You get emissary rep from doing the normal voyages for the respective trading company, as well as some bonus gold+rep when you lower the flag again at any outpost.

And the new PVP trading company "Reaper's Bones" rewards you for doing normal voyages, as well as sinking other emissary ships. Plus, if you hit grade 5 there, you can see all other emissary ships on the map.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Yeah this all looks extremely cool and I want to play some more sea of Thieves now.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

So reading up on this Emissary and Reaper's Bones stuff it seems extremely my poo poo, people encouraged to sit on vast hoards of treasure and a PvP faction that let's you find other ships after enough PvP? sign me the gently caress up.

it rules, we got so many fights last night

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Man I was saying earlier I'd be cool if there was a dedicated pvp faction

Hope I get to play tonight

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
if you're playing Reaper's Bones and are ending your session, try turning your own flag into the Hideout for a special bonus

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
Just a heads up, there's a twitch drop promo over three days starting tomorrow! https://www.seaofthieves.com/twitch-drops

Watch for a half hour each day to get cannons, capstan and a wheel. They look pretty neat too

https://twitter.com/SeaOfThieves/status/1253281167094284288

forkbucket fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 23, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So how do you deal with a Brigantine with a Sloop? Can't out-maneuver, can't outgun, can't outrun. What's the point of this worthless ship?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Jimbot posted:

So how do you deal with a Brigantine with a Sloop? Can't out-maneuver, can't outgun, can't outrun. What's the point of this worthless ship?

Sail into the wind, try to board and drop their anchor, hit 'em with chain shot, one pirate spawn camps... There are ways.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Merijn posted:

I've also heard that when you hit max emissary grade (5) you can pick up a pseudo-gilded voyage from your respective trading company.
As we saw tonight, that bit's still kinda bugged though, we got an OoS voyage instead of Athena and we aren't the only crew who have gotten the wrong one.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

BlackIronHeart posted:

Sail into the wind, try to board and drop their anchor, hit 'em with chain shot, one pirate spawn camps... There are ways.

Sailing into the wind is the best bet if you're positioned right, they cannot catch you and hopefully you have a long way to go before the edge of the map.

I've had a lot of luck with someone chasing me and getting onto their ship and dropping their anchor, but it's a bit harder to do since mermaids spawn faster now, gives faster warning. I remember they werent supposed to spawn as fast if an enemy ship is near but I haven't noticed that.

Also if they're chasing you an explosive barrel is beautiful, as a mine or if you can get onto their deck. I've had a lot of luck with that, and if there's a tight enough rock formation about you can just drop it in the water and not risk yourself. There's always a fort nearby with explosive barrels when you first spawn at an outpost.

Generally be a nuisance and more trouble than you're worth and they'll probably turn away than have a boring chase for 30 minutes.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Reaper's Hideout rules now - a truly lawless area in the middle of the map with a revamped spooky theme :iia:

pretty sure the level of Reaper b0nez flags can be seen by everyone ...BUT maxed out Reapers cannot see the levels of other factions or even which one they specifically are, only their location. you don't want to clear the server by sinking them immediately so the smarter ones seem to scout out and let the emissaries level up before attacking them. if you plan on having a longer session this will often be very profitable.

if you have a mic you can even do stuff like tax them by forcing them into alliances. obviously if they break the alliance before logging off you can just intercept them, kill them and take their flag.

you can also just take a few items from them and let them sail on their way. honestly you could always do this type of stuff before but the way the factions, commendations and bonuses are laid out it really encourages this sort of stuff and there will be very little reason for experienced players to opt-out. the only real benefit to not flying a flag is added stealth, but if you are a friendly faction chances are they won't attack you on sight. the constant fluidity of friend/foe has made this maybe the single best multiplayer sandbox game i've ever seen. you don't ever have to backstab anyone but there's nothing in this game that keeps you from doing so if think you have an opportunity to get away with it.

at the same time you can just try to steamroll anyone you encounter and this is what you'll see the lower level reapers doing more often than not

once we leveled up to 5 we actually had all the other reapers on the server attacking US instead and it turned the hideout into a furball of action. people fighting on the turn-in spot at the beach while random ships came and went for various reasons. so while you can see other players it also makes you one of the biggest targets on the server. so far this feels like an excellent way to balance the ability because it forces you to play for position and not bite off more than you can chew.

if you sink, you lose your flag and have to start from scratch even if you somehow get it back. there are RB stations at every outpost so you can raise the flag easily after buying the initial one :ssh:

so again unless they're gunning for you or they have tons of loot, it's often worth it to let them level up before sinking them. even lowering your own maxed out flag is worth a decent chunk of gold so you will see a lot of reapers doing this before logging off. this keeps the hideout area very active. also random people will be running reaper chests to this location. there are enough ammo boxes and places to hide on the island to have some of the longest shootouts i've ever seen in this game so far outside of the arena

i'm sure this will settle down once the curiosity behind the new faction passes but :getin: while its hot

tl;dr haven't even tried the new arena yet because adventure mode is nearly perfect now

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Chev posted:

As we saw tonight, that bit's still kinda bugged though, we got an OoS voyage instead of Athena and we aren't the only crew who have gotten the wrong one.

I've looked around and I'm not sure this is bugged - seems like the bonus athena voyage you get is from a random faction. It can be an actual mini-athena, or it can be merchant, or it can be OoS like we got.

It really annoyed me that it's a phantom voyage though - it just appears in your quest wheel, and it's not on the voyage table so you can't cancel it. I'm not even sure you can put up another voyage if you haven't finished the bonus voyage, so you're essentially forced to do it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

they might eventually change this but one of the galleons i allied with had a huge stash of loot and you can just go and pickup/drop their stuff and it will instantly put you at rank 5 and it seems like a pretty easy way to cheese the harder commendations

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Merijn posted:

I've looked around and I'm not sure this is bugged - seems like the bonus athena voyage you get is from a random faction. It can be an actual mini-athena, or it can be merchant, or it can be OoS like we got.
No, it's not matching the official descriptions and for that matter other factions are getting the wrong quests too, it's made it to the bug reports.

Chev fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 24, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Thief posted:

if you have a mic you can even do stuff like tax them by forcing them into alliances. obviously if they break the alliance before logging off you can just intercept them, kill them and take their flag.

Neat idea but if they have half a brain what they would do is go to an outpost, move all their poo poo onto the island next to the people who buy it, leave the alliance, and then sell it all. By the time you figure out what's going on and get there they'd have sold everything.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

there isn't much incentive to break the alliance before turn-in except to be specifically petty towards the crews that aren't contributing. i'm definitely guilty of doing this to crews after backstabbing them but i've also done it just because its funny the game lets you be as much of a scoundrel as you want. otherwise it is time consuming and not worth the effort

imo the community for this game is overall pretty chill and most of the time people only leave alliances when they log off. sure some people will abandon out of spite if its just you and them and you aren't ever turning anything in but they're usually still logging off soon anyway.

and hell, you don't even have to threaten them if you don't want to risk them dropping at the last second. you can just tell them you'll protect them from other reaper ships or whatever. whether you actually do that or are just extorting them is up to you.

pretty much everyone assumes a reaper ship will KoS but i feel like people have been surprisingly friendly towards the ones that don't immediately attack them. this was true even before the emissary stuff when all we had was the regular glowing flag.

if you're on like a serious quest or whatever it might be best to avoid contact but the constant random encounters and social aspects it brings to this game are just as fun as the pvp. and it only makes the large scale battles that much more interesting when stuff finally starts happening - even if that's just a result of your alliance having grown too big and it devolved into infighting for whatever reason

i've been messing around with the alliance stuff like this for months because im too lazy to actually ever do any voyages myself and its allowed me to afford anything i want despite basically being an opportunistic bilgerat.

once there's at least 3 ships on it becomes easier to talk more people into joining/staying because they can immediately see it on the map and everyone starts profiting regularly. and now with these top tier flags you're going to see bonus multipliers

fwiw galleons are the easiest to recruit because they are easy to buzz around and simply do not want to be bothered when doing stuff like forts

solo sloops are just as common as normal ones and they tend to be very social and cooperative. tbh the ones like this doing tall tales often have to be for their own survival and are the most willing to give up random loot without a fight.

brigs seem to be the hardest to communicate with as they tend to attract dedicated PvPers that just want to chase down other ships and murder them. they also sink very quickly which might be why they often seem to be on edge more when you randomly approach them compared to the others. i personally don't think they're worth the trouble/risk because a competent brig crew is the most consistently lethal thing in the entire game.

e: spamming the "Let's Form An Alliance" wheel text emote thingie helps a lot when approaching strangers even if you have a mic

Thief fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 24, 2020

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Thief posted:

e: spamming the "Let's Form An Alliance" wheel text emote thingie helps a lot when approaching strangers even if you have a mic

This is wild. In my experience "Let's Form An Alliance" is second only to "I'm friendly" as an indicator that they are trying to keg your ship.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

LtSmash posted:

This is wild. In my experience "Let's Form An Alliance" is second only to "I'm friendly" as an indicator that they are trying to keg your ship.

Yeah, 'Alliance?' from some rando in text chat might as well be 'Kill me now' when I'm playing.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

that's up to you if you want to ever let anyone that close. i usually don't let strangers board my ship immediately unless they have a mic because its easier to feel out what kind of player they are.

also you can ally and talk on the megaphone to other ships at the edge of your cannon's firing range. that's plenty of distance to stay out of harms way when slooping

if someone is being a jerk in this game you can just kill them or kite them around until they get bored or sunk by volcanoes

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

prior to this update, if i was running solo i would give players the benefit of the doubt and let them have first shot. but, seeing as pvp has been given full flesh and we are back in full swing with tryhard crews, i wouldn't spare them a single bullet.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah you absolutely should fire on anyone sailing in your direction. practically everyone instinctively does this

what im talking about is taking the initiative to make contact and recruit others. the easiest way to do this is maintain a safe distance on approach and just talk to them

it isnt unusual to see them spam the chat Sorry! emote after the initial barrage then befriend you

idk about yall but i'd rather stockpile chainshots and purple cannonballs for bigger steals than a few villainous skulls that they'll most likely eventually turn in for me while i get to roam the seas

lol if they insist on a fight you can always just shoot back or buzz off :shrug:

when it comes to the RB emmissary stuff this is imo the easiest way to get lvl 5 flags. its a lot harder to ambush/bumrush these guys when they see you coming from across the map. and the whole time other reapers are going to be chasing you for your radar flag.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

encountered a rank 75 reaper galleon already:

^the cannons look awesome

apparently to get the cosmetic stuff from the loading screen you have to level up to the top tier of the global leaderboards:

and i'm pretty sure you have to maintain that rank at the end of the 37 days :f5:

guess this is cool because very few players are going to get more than one set. and the number of people signed up to do Reaper's Bones is practically all of the other factions combined so far...

i think i'm going to try and level the merchant alliance stuff because we put together an aristocrat themed ship while wearing their uniforms and boarded a random sloop asking for parking permits before confiscating their contraband which was one of the funniest experiences i've ever had in this game even though we were essentially just griefing innocent adventurers at an outpost

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
it's such a stupid system yeah. The top 100 are from those permanent alliance servers already I'm pretty sure

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Apr 25, 2020

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

yeah idk how else someone can farm 20 mil in a couple days haha

but the brackets seem forgiving enough that so long as you can pick a specific one to focus on you should be probably able to get the sails by the end of the event

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

lol

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I haven't touched the game in over a year, last I remember the Athena stuff had just been added. I got burned out between server hoping for skull forts or just minmaxing merchant runs.

But got the urge for some open blue waters, so just reinstalled and figure I'll tool about in a boat, since I have fond memories of just sailing around and exploring. What's the key stuff that's changed since I last played?

Is there any kind of logo customization yet? Can you name your ships?

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 26, 2020

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

McKilligan posted:

Is there any kind of logo customization yet? Can you name your ships?

No.

There is a list of all the updates made, with dates included, so you can get a rough estimate of what you have missed, which sounds like all of it.

The game has grown in a lot of areas. The most recent update has raised level caps and added new options for PvE and PvP, many of the updates before it have related to somewhat of a main story series and new regions (some of which are locked to those story quests), but there are many earlier updates that progressively added new features and creatures.

I'd just get in the game, preferably with a friend, and start exploring. There's plenty of videos and streams you can check out if you're curious about something specific but the core mechanics are still there. There is a "Maiden Voyage" option on the main screen now which can give you a quick re-education in the basics and some of the new content, and there are tool-tips that will appear and give you cues on certain things as well after some recent idiot-proofing.

The biggest pieces of advice I can give are:
Everything on your ship can now be destroyed in some way, but it can also be repaired.
Colorful cannonballs can screw with yourself or your ship.
Fire is a thing now and must be extinguished by throwing water on it, you can extinguish yourself by right clicking with a bucket, and you can spread fire onto other people by touching them while aflame.
Fire and masts becoming destructible makes keeping explosive barrels in the crows nest much less safe, but its still generally better than putting it in risk of being shot.
Galleons are fastest with the wind in their sails, but sloops can actually outpace them a little when going against the wind and having the sail centered.
A blunderbuss is handy for keeping other pirates off your ship with the knock-back. It will knock them off ladders. But, they can now also board by other tricks that have been discovered over time and do plenty of damage in other ways, so always be wary if you hear swimming or a mermaid pop up.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 26, 2020

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

last night i tried out the merchant emissary

after a couple runs i had enough for a rank 5 flag. this included stopping at shipwrecks and picking up gems and stuff when passing floating barrels which there are a lot of them now it seems

eventually you get to pickup a special order:

lmao the sun set before i got everything on board and that was while already perfectly parked at the dock

during that time, a random gold hoarder ship buzzed by and allied with me. i think they went off to do like a fort or something. whatever it was, it was enough to put me at the top tier for the monthly rewards:

it seems that maybe the "grind" for the faction cosmetics isn't nearly as bad as i initially expected

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
If you still have your Christmas Gift Voyage left, start it up and deliver them to the new Faction Dude on Reaper's Island. You get a good bunch of Standing with the new Faction with those.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
New faction's really easy to level up as long as you're willing to be aggressive. A sunken sloop and its small amount of stolen loot got me up to 17 and then two forts of the damned and a couple scuffles to go up to 43. All in one day.

Also yeah, just one lv 50 OoS voyage plus 8 of the 16 skulls from the bonus voyages put us in the top tier of the OoS leaderboard this afternoon so it looks like getting the special sails isn't gonna be too hard (but then again there's still one month to go).

Chev fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 26, 2020

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Thief posted:

brigs seem to be the hardest to communicate with as they tend to attract dedicated PvPers that just want to chase down other ships and murder them. they also sink very quickly which might be why they often seem to be on edge more when you randomly approach them compared to the others. i personally don't think they're worth the trouble/risk because a competent brig crew is the most consistently lethal thing in the entire game.

Been away awhile, I'd like to hear more about how you feel the brigg compares to galleons and sloops to you consider it the most lethal crewed ship.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2020

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Been away awhile, I'd like to hear more about how you feel the brigg compares to galleons and sloops to you consider it the most lethal crewed ship.

brigs are an example of the jack of all trades master of none

that allows them to more easily adapt to the chaotic nature of an open world game like this where positioning matters

in a duel, brigs can play against the weaknesses of both galleons and sloops. i'm not 100% sure about this but they also seem to accelerate very quickly. stuff like this makes them very good at roaming around the map and intercepting practically anyone they see as a target of opportunity

in crosswind situations the brig is arguably the most efficient and that's exactly what everyone's dealing with during a clusterfuck situation where multiple ships are all circling while fighting each other. it also makes them harder to predict what they're gonna do when locked in an engagement

the main downside to the brig is that it sinks very quickly if left unattended and emergency repairs can be a bit of a pain when you have to run the entire length of the ship to get to the front and patch it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Glad that's over.