Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Does anyone want to play? I usually solo or play with discord random. It'd be nice to meet other pirates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
For what it’s worth, even if legally they’re adults, people under 25 are still what I call “kids”.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Does anyone want to play? I usually solo or play with discord random. It'd be nice to meet other pirates

Join the Goon Discord mate :) we're fun! https://discord.gg/QxX37bZF

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Merijn posted:

Join the Goon Discord mate :) we're fun! https://discord.gg/QxX37bZF

Oh holy poo poo you just made my night.

It's already late tonight, but I'm definitely going to hit this up tomorrow or this weekend :-)

scopes
Jun 5, 2004
E: Nevermind!

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Be chill, do pirate crimes is what I always say.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.
:( after a long lovely day I came home to be a pirate with a full ship of friends for once and after we sailed around for a while doing the new merchant quest to stock up, we formed an alliance with another player and my game will now crash every 2 minutes. Whyyyyyyy

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I played this with a friend the other night through game pass and it's a lot more fun than I thought. I would have killed to have this game around as a kid. I'm interested in sailing with bigger boats and crews but hooking up with people using the Microsoft service is a nightmare. Does discord have some sort of lobby integration thing that works with SoT?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
As far as I can tell, no, but apparently the recent patch lets people join on each other through steam.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I stopped playing shortly after the tall tales came out, loaded it up last night and started terrorizing the seas with my brother in a sloop. Holy poo poo this game just shits gold at you now.

The ghost fleet battles are a ton of fun and we were knocking out ashen lords and grabbing reaper chests during our stint.

Our final moment was heading to an ashen lord and saw 2 sloops already there. One actively fighting and one that was sitting a ways back in the path to the closest outpost.

My brother sailed us close to the sloop parked at the island, I jumped on board with a powder keg and ran downstairs lighting the fuse. The poor bastard on the boat could only watch as I kamikazed with the keg, destroying their sloop. Respawned, killed the skele, looted everything, chased off the sloop hanging back (I'm guessing he was looking for an easy pick instead of fighting the skeleton) and cashed it all in.

God I forgot how much fun this game can be.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

treat posted:

I played this with a friend the other night through game pass and it's a lot more fun than I thought. I would have killed to have this game around as a kid. I'm interested in sailing with bigger boats and crews but hooking up with people using the Microsoft service is a nightmare. Does discord have some sort of lobby integration thing that works with SoT?

There is a Goon Discord for SoT that you can join for pirate adventures:

https://discord.gg/e6KabjcY

There is also an official SoT Discord where you can find other pirates, form into lobbies for voice chat.

It's essentially independent of SoT so you have to swap usernames, friend each other, and join up in game also. Discord is a lot more reliable than the in game voice chat and doesn't have the drawback of letting nearby pirates hear your chat on a hot mic.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Zwabu posted:

There is a Goon Discord for SoT that you can join for pirate adventures:

https://discord.gg/e6KabjcY

There is also an official SoT Discord where you can find other pirates, form into lobbies for voice chat.

It's essentially independent of SoT so you have to swap usernames, friend each other, and join up in game also. Discord is a lot more reliable than the in game voice chat and doesn't have the drawback of letting nearby pirates hear your chat on a hot mic.

There are a few community SoT servers as well, to lessen confusion I would recommend, on those disco servers, to change your nickname to your xbox name to make it easier to get a crew going without having to spell poo poo out in chat or over voice.

Open crew is the worst, and is only fun if you're drunk and messing around which might explain why people who join on open crew often act like they're drunk and messing around.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I watched a guide about good pistol models to use and they mentioned the sea dog and mercenary models as having usable front sights, with the sea dog mostly just being a triangle point. The aristocrat pistol in the Black Market Archive has the same front blade as the mercenary pistol. The video I watched was a bit old but are there recommendations for other pistol models to use? I noticed the Wild Rose pistol seems to have a usable triangle sight but I'd like to find something I can reliably aim with quickly. A surprising amount of flintlocks look cool but are not functional at all for aiming down sights.

e:

That's a useful sight on a pretty gun.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Feb 20, 2021

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Got back into this recently after having been gone since about a year after launch. My little brother has an xbox and I play on PC so it's nice to have a game we can play together and chat since he's a stay at home dad and it's difficult for him to go places.

Earlier tonight we were sloopin' and came across a brig that attacked us on sight. We got spawn camped and murdered and our boat sank. We noted our position and sailed back to find them docked. We got sank by them 4 times but kept going back because we were bored and didn't have any loot on us. The fifth time I managed a sneaky keg and sank them, with my brother killing 3 of the 4 on the boat after. The one remaining guy swam around the island while we circled. He started off telling us we were bad in voice chat while I spammed "u mad" in the text chat. Eventually he resorted to screaming in frustration because he couldn't swim close enough to our boat and we just kept circling. It's fun to just throw yourself into other players until you eventually break them.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I still don't understand how people who are basically good at pvp, are so incredibly bad at losing.

I was slooping with a buddy last night, and right after we sold the first half of his gilded voyage from last Christmas, a grade 1 Reaper came up. We decided to fight, but it was basically exchanging cannon shots, repair, repeat until we both ran out of ammo. We both guarded our ladders well enough that nobody really gained the upper hand. It's just.. the reason PvP in this game is extremely boring to me.

In the end, we just sailed into the red sea and scuttled, to get rid of them.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Can someone post another link to the Discord? The previous links have expired. Lemme bring my rainbow figurehead to y'all so we, too, can sail together aboard the Gay Agenda.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Can someone post another link to the Discord? The previous links have expired. Lemme bring my rainbow figurehead to y'all so we, too, can sail together aboard the Gay Agenda.

There's a link in the OP that still works: https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

edit for content:
The crew had a productive night tonight. We learned the Gold Hoarder doesn't buy boats.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Reiley posted:

There's a link in the OP that still works: https://discord.gg/wtUFUE5

D'oh, thanks. Didn't even realize it was there 'cause I'm a dink.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
How effective is loading a grapple dingy up with explosives and using it to attach to enemy ships to suicide bomb them USS Cole style? I've only played the game twice and both times it's the only thing I've wanted to do. I got the opportunity to do it to my own boat after it was overrun but we were already sinking so I can't tell how viable it is.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
if someone is doing something at an island (say, doing the Fort of the Damned) then rowing a rowboat packed full of explosive kegs will work great! If they're underway or you've been fighting them recently, they're likely gonna notice. It is important to note, however, that you can dock a rowboat on any ship not just your own. Rowing up to someone who's otherwise occupied is a great way to get aboard without having to climb the ladders.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I mean harpooning them the moment you're in range coming off the momentum of your own sloop, reeling in tight alongside them and shooting the explosives to detonate them. Does that deal decent damage or does it need to be a direct hit?

e; I'm obviously going to keep doing it anyway because it looks like a rad movie scene but if it's at all helpful to my crew that's nice too.

treat fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Feb 21, 2021

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Oh yeah, that'll do loads of damage, usually 3-4 holes, same as if the ship ran into a keg.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hey, I've started playing this recently and I saw something online saying that if you sink a ship their loot will float to the surface. Is that true? We sunk a skeleton ship the other day and nothing came up which is very possibly because they didn't have anything but I just wanted to be sure.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Glagha posted:

Hey, I've started playing this recently and I saw something online saying that if you sink a ship their loot will float to the surface. Is that true? We sunk a skeleton ship the other day and nothing came up which is very possibly because they didn't have anything but I just wanted to be sure.

Yeah, it takes a moment, but once the ship sinks far enough (like, fully below the waves and heading towards the ocean floor), it despawns and all the loot that was on it floats to the surface. If you have the time to, whenever you sink a ship, stick around for a minute and wait for any goodies to float up.

It's entirely possible for a player ship to have nothing on it, so nothing will float up. It's entirely possible but extremely unlikely that a skeleton ship has nothing on it, but you could absolutely board the skeleton ship, pickup all their loot, and dump it overboard. I've stolen a fair few storage crates from skeleton ships this way, because storage crates are the most valuable loot for my crew.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

If it matters at all we were in a galleon and demolished a skeleton sloop so I dunno, maybe you don't get rewarded for crushing them way under your firepower but who knows, we parked nearby and jumped in the water and looked around from above and below but didn't see anything.

Edit: either that or we somehow mistook a player ship for a skeleton one but that seems unlikely because there were no survivors and they definitely looked ghostly. I guess I didn't look that close we just saw glowy ship with torn sails at night and decided to sink it

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

Glagha posted:

If it matters at all we were in a galleon and demolished a skeleton sloop so I dunno, maybe you don't get rewarded for crushing them way under your firepower

No.

It was probably a player ship and they just logged off when they saw you approaching.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

Glagha posted:

You'll be able to tell it's a skeleton sloop if it's got a real funky looking back to it, like a rickety fort on the stern. Also, itll be covered in blue and green lights, and of course you'll see the skellies on board when you get close. Loot won't come up immediately though, and if you sailed past while it was sinking and didnt get a good reference for its location, it's entirely possible to lose it while you turn around and whatnot. Waves are really good at hiding things from you.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Glagha posted:

If it matters at all we were in a galleon and demolished a skeleton sloop so I dunno, maybe you don't get rewarded for crushing them way under your firepower but who knows, we parked nearby and jumped in the water and looked around from above and below but didn't see anything.

Edit: either that or we somehow mistook a player ship for a skeleton one but that seems unlikely because there were no survivors and they definitely looked ghostly. I guess I didn't look that close we just saw glowy ship with torn sails at night and decided to sink it

A "glowy" ship can mean different things. If the actual HULL of the ship is glowing orangeish that's definitely a player skin that you can purchase, no skelly ship has that. (The ghost fleets have that greenish white glow of course but that's distinct from everything else.) If it's the colored lanterns it's usually a skeleton ship but players can also get colored lights to change their ship lanterns to which is mainly useful for stuff like doing Fort of the Damned.

Skeleton ships ALWAYS have loot. Sometimes the loot isn't great, but they always have some. Player ships will obviously sometimes have none, if they are just starting or have sold all their stuff.

When a ship is sunk or scuttled, the loot takes time to surface. Whether it's a player ship or a skeleton ship, it follows a sequence. The ship has to sink towards the bottom. When the ship "derezzes", the ship drawing ceases to exist, the loot appears and floats to the surface from the bottom. This process takes time.

During this process it's very easy to lose sight of where the sinking happened and where the loot should appear, especially if you continued to sail around while the ship sank, which is common if you are in a fight with multiple ships, both player and skeleton ships involved, a megalodon etc., and lose track of where the loot should be and not find it in time before that loot sinks and disappears. Especially if waves are choppy, there's a lot of sunlight glare on the water etc. You don't have to be too far away to have difficulty spotting loot.

Losing loot that you won in a fight because you couldn't find it is one of the most frustrating things in the game for me. It's good to develop certain habits.

1. The instant a ship sinks, pull out your compass and take note of the bearing of the wreck with respect to your ship. (obviously this will no longer be relevant if you continue to turn)
2. If safe, stop your ship by either anchoring or pulling up your sails.
3. If safe and all crew are not required to fight and repair to keep YOUR ship from sinking right away, put a crew member in the water to swim to the exact spot of the wreck to both mark it and watch the wreck sink and the loot appear.
4. If you are unable to stop because there is other danger or fighting still ongoing, consider putting a mark on the map where YOUR ship at the time of the ship sinking. If you return to that spot in time you should be able to see the loot if you could see the wreck from there.

Putting a crew member in the water at or near the wreck serves a number of purposes. They can note the appearance of any loot or flags so you can know if it's even worth your trouble to get. They can note the presence of any surviving or "backspawning" pirates at the wreck who you will have to kill to recover the loot safely, and fight the enemy crew without endangering your ship. If there is a rowboat that has floated from the wreck they can put any loot in the rowboat to prevent it sinking if it will take a while for your ship to get back to them, and also be safe from sharks.

The name of your crew member on the horizon is an easy reference to sail back to the loot even if you wind up a good distance away.

If enough time passes before you can get back to the loot, they can "loot juggle" (pick up and drop each treasure item to reset the sinking timer) to prevent the loot sinking and disappearing for good.

Remember, if you are fighting enemy pirates in the water whose ship you sank, your ship is a huge resource and advantage even if they outnumber you or have better skill at PvP combat, it is a respawn and resupply point for food and ammo. So any member of their crew that dies is gone from that fight, and they can't replenish ammo or food unless they have a supply crate or rowboat with them in the water.

Anyway, putting a crew in the water to watch the wreck sink and the loot appear is a good practice if you can spare that crew member in that moment, and watching the sinking and loot floating process gives you an idea how long it takes and how it occurs.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Raposa posted:

if you sailed past while it was sinking and didnt get a good reference for its location, it's entirely possible to lose it while you turn around and whatnot. Waves are really good at hiding things from you.

A good trick here is to use your ship's map! When you sail it leaves a dotted line of your course so if you pass the ship do an anchor turn and follow your dotted line back to where the battle took place.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nah it had blue and green lights that we could see at a long distance, but I don't recall if there was anything weird about the shape of it. I dunno it's definitely possible we just missed the loot that came up because it was kinda dark and stormy, but we jumped into the water in hopes a clear look from underwater without the waves in the way would make it more visible but nothin.

Edit: It was hard to tell if there were skeletons on it, I genuinely just can't remember and we crushed them so fast it was hard to really tell. Honestly it could've been just them despawning? I know I've seen them just pop up out of the ocean before so can they just peace out? I swear we thought that was a possibility in the moment but someone noted getting the "sunk a ship" achievement progress alert.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 21, 2021

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Reiley posted:

A good trick here is to use your ship's map! When you sail it leaves a dotted line of your course so if you pass the ship do an anchor turn and follow your dotted line back to where the battle took place.

This is also a very good tip, but be aware, if you died for any reason the dotted lines disappear for you, so only a crew member who has survived throughout will have that "GPS track" dotted line for reference. I can't remember if this is also true for marks you put down on the chart or not.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Glagha posted:

Nah it had blue and green lights that we could see at a long distance, but I don't recall if there was anything weird about the shape of it. I dunno it's definitely possible we just missed the loot that came up because it was kinda dark and stormy, but we jumped into the water in hopes a clear look from underwater without the waves in the way would make it more visible but nothin.

Edit: It was hard to tell if there were skeletons on it, I genuinely just can't remember and we crushed them so fast it was hard to really tell. Honestly it could've been just them despawning? I know I've seen them just pop up out of the ocean before so can they just peace out? I swear we thought that was a possibility in the moment but someone noted getting the "sunk a ship" achievement progress alert.

Did you sink it or did it dive under water to despawn? I guess its possible you were near a fleet event, picked up agro on a sloop and went out of the event's range, but you'll get the 'alliance of dickbutt' or whatever notification when you get near the fleet event. Also If you're near the center of the map by the arena rocks n docks some funky things can happen there; like loot that floats above the water or skelly ships taking off into the sky.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Just had a great session with my roommate, brother, and sister-in-law.

We planned on starting the tall tales since I'm the only one that has done them. While heading to the first one we see an ashen lord event. So we decide to detour over and try to knock it out real quick. Found a brig with 2 players currently engaged with it. While everyone was occupied with the lord, I decide to grab a powder keg and take out the brig. We sink them and they die, leaving us to collect everything after the lord dies. While we load up the last of the loot, these two guys show back up and manage to get the jump on us.

My brother survived and got on their boat long enough to give us a rough idea of where they were headed. This resulted in a hour long chase in which they managed to board us and drop anchor 3 times. We continued to chase them when I noticed they sailed really close to an outpost. I told my roommate and sister-in-law to jump to the island while my brother and I continued to chase the brig.

Sure enough they dropped a rowboat with the stash and were trying to offload it when my crew arrived in time to kill the dude. My brother and I managed an anchor ball on the brig and promptly sunk it. So the island crew is offloading the loot they secured while we collected the rest of what was left from the ship. We ultimately looted roughly 200k from these poor saps. They never returned so I'm guessing they rage quit. We then harpooned our galleon to a near vertical position on the island and then burned it down in celebration.

I love this game.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

That is a rad story, nice job.

Zwabu posted:

sinking/loot tips

These are all very good tips. I'd like to add that the sinking timer is only something like 5-10 minutes, i.e. loot that floats will sink after only a few minutes. Usually that's not enough time for you to get back after sinking to pick up your own loot.

Also, there's a small chance the aforementioned skeleton ship didn't drop loot because the ship actively dove back into the sea. When a world event ends (fort, ashen winds, fleet), all skeleton ships despawn to make room for THE KRAKEN. In that case, the skeleton ship didn't sink but despawned, and gives no loot. It's rare but it happens, and it's frustrating.

Similar to fighting a Meg and getting too close to an island by accident, causing the Meg to flee. :mad:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Merijn posted:

That is a rad story, nice job.

These are all very good tips. I'd like to add that the sinking timer is only something like 5-10 minutes, i.e. loot that floats will sink after only a few minutes. Usually that's not enough time for you to get back after sinking to pick up your own loot.

Also, there's a small chance the aforementioned skeleton ship didn't drop loot because the ship actively dove back into the sea. When a world event ends (fort, ashen winds, fleet), all skeleton ships despawn to make room for THE KRAKEN. In that case, the skeleton ship didn't sink but despawned, and gives no loot. It's rare but it happens, and it's frustrating.

Similar to fighting a Meg and getting too close to an island by accident, causing the Meg to flee. :mad:

Yeah, this is a very good point. It's actually pretty common for skeleton ships to despawn. They are on some kind of timer for their patrol, and once the time limit is reached, they despawn. It's fairly obvious if you are looking because they dive down suddenly like a submarine doing a crash dive, it doesn't look anything at all like a normal sinking, it's obvious they are diving. And as you said, no loot or supplies.

The frustrating thing is they will do this in the middle of combat, so you can be a hair away from sinking a skeleton galleon and have expended three dozen cannonballs on it and a bunch of lumber on repairs, and suddenly it's gone and you get nothing.

I can't remember if the skeleton ships in the skelly fleet event actually do this as well, but the random ones around the map do.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

I was a sliver away from rank 75 Order of Souls, so I decided to take a ghost fleet voyage to see what it was like. After the initial wave, I wasnt paying attention while snagging some supplies, and the fleet sailed through my ship. After it did so, a skeleton sloop spawned on me. I fought him off, but a player sloop crashed the party, around the same time the fleet came back around the island and started firing on me again. So of course, the game decided it was the perfect time for a 2nd skeleton sloop to spawn on me.

I did not last.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
That was 74 souls coming to celebrate the 75th and YOU BLEW IT

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The ghost fleets (OoS or Flameheart) are one of the very very few things in the game that are almost impossible to do solo. Steering, adjusting sails, firing, repairing and picking up loot in an intense fleet battle is just too much for one pirate.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

And on that note, the skelly fleet battles are just never worth it, regardless of ship and crew, IMO since stopping to pick up loot while getting railed with curse balls is no way to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Hell yeah fishing festival started. I dig fishing in videogames so I'm gonna hit the ground running and...sit quietly at various seaposts and catch hundreds of fish while chatting with my crewmate (my brother).