Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm the idiot moron that forgot everything was in GMT so I got online and logged in to get a "lol too late" message last night

To be honest I think nearly everyone else thought that it ended the day before because it felt like hardly anyone was on for the last few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Does anything carry over, or are there any rewards in the full game for playing in the beta?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

fadam posted:

Does anything carry over, or are there any rewards in the full game for playing in the beta?

They've not announced any reward for being in the beta. If you were in the alpha you get a badge on their forums. That's it.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
Yeah, I don't think there actually is anything stated for playing in alpha/beta other than the badge. Which, really, who's reading that forum?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

automaticswim posted:

Yeah, I don't think there actually is anything stated for playing in alpha/beta other than the badge. Which, really, who's reading that forum?

All the posts complaining about being PvP killed in a PvP game is pretty good.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
First I heard of this game was a stream from Polygon with Griffin and Justin Mcelroy :( Now I have to wait til March to play it? Phooey.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Admiral Bosch posted:

First I heard of this game was a stream from Polygon with Griffin and Justin Mcelroy :( Now I have to wait til March to play it? Phooey.
Don't be too disappointed, the people you play with will not be as good as them

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Yeah probably, but I have funny friends too. Plus I'm a sucker for boats and sails and such. Maybe I'll just fire up Blackwake so I can feel vaguely disappointed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

CrashCat posted:

Don't be too disappointed, the people you play with will not be as good as them

All the goons i played with on discord were pretty good to be fair. I honestly think not being a retard and talking to the other players is like 99% of the skill you need to play this game.

EDIT: This was a crew I arranged mostly on discord attacking a ship:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeKDizJc46E

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 2, 2018

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Kitchner posted:

EDIT: This was a crew I arranged mostly on discord attacking a ship:

I'm internet famous!

That was a truly terrifying number of sharks in the water.

Also a side note: I chased down the enemy pirate who ran off onto the island and nabbed his captains chest, too, while the rest of the crew met their respawned galleon who came back to rescue him and sunk it again. :pirate:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I mostly soloed but even that was fun. It was very restful and i maintained my preorder on the hope that there was more in the full game. That being said if there isnt i wont be mad since its a bit of a gamble on a niche gametype.

I just cant resist sailing games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm 50/50 on buying this at launch. The beta was fun and the sailing/graphics are fantastic but the game seems really low on content. Running around collecting chests via the same handful of missions with only skeleton enemies.

Also I'd likely be playing mostly solo since Im not gonna convince my friends to upgrade to Win10 and buy this.

Prostheticfoot
Mar 27, 2002
Nda lifts in like a week and a half apparently? So the mystery will be over soonish

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/drewtoothpaste/status/959297839204417537

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Prostheticfoot posted:

Nda lifts in like a week and a half apparently? So the mystery will be over soonish

Yeah there a couple of people on Reddit who are founders with early access. They’re claiming the version that dropped after closed beta has a lot of content. We’ll see...

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Ehud posted:

Yeah there a couple of people on Reddit who are founders with early access. They’re claiming the version that dropped after closed beta has a lot of content. We’ll see...

I'm in the pioneer programme, i should check that out.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

AirRaid posted:

I'm in the pioneer programme, i should check that out.

Tell us, but just don't tell us.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

There's definitely not seen before content and mechanics in the newest update.

Internet Victory
Dec 10, 2005
The future is here. Internet!
edit: nevermind

Internet Victory fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 8, 2018

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Internet Victory posted:

Ok

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Internet Victory posted:

SAY IT

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
These guys have done a pretty good round up of the points from the media stories following the lifting of the press embargo: http://crewofthieves.com/news-en/sea-of-thieves-february-13th-news-summary/

Personally I'm looking forward to sailing with goons and basically just pissing all over everyone by betraying them, using dirty tactics, and everything else that generates complaints of "unfair" piracy tactics.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

That's a lot of good info. Solidified my choice to buy the game, now.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol this section

Pets
Buying pets will be the first thing that you will be able to spend money on
Parrot, Cat, and Monkey confirmed so far
You will be able to fire them out of cannons
It will fit the style of the game and be more fun and silly than cruel 🙂
If you buy a pet other people will be able to mess around with and experience it, too
So if you have a parrot, you will be able to pick it up and run around with it, but someone else can also pick it up and then drown with it (no worries it will come back to you)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am so in on this game. It's not going to be for everyone, but I love the core game and it sounds like there will be a ton of voyages and events to do at launch.

The "endgame" they have planned sounds cool too, where you access titles, ships, customizations and voyages that not everyone has access to.

Ultimately I think this will succeed or fail based on how well they create a sense of ownership and progression with your pirate. Since there aren't levels or skills, they really need to nail all of the other stuff that makes your pirate feel unique or that you've achieved something.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
After seeing a complaint about immersion breaking gamer tags I am going to race to become a pirate legend and name my ship the HMS poonsmasher69, and force pubbie to day things like "Oh no! It's the dread ship the poonsmasher69".

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The SS im gay

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
PS

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

FNC if you shoot me

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I really like the idea of "PS im gay" as a ship name

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

Kitchner posted:

I really like the idea of "PS im gay" as a ship name
Mine's gonna be Yeah Buoy!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
USS war crime

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Closed beta again this weekend

nothing new in it

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kitchner posted:

These guys have done a pretty good round up of the points from the media stories following the lifting of the press embargo: http://crewofthieves.com/news-en/sea-of-thieves-february-13th-news-summary/

Doesn't seem like they have much content planned near launch but they will have microtransactions within 3 months. Lovely.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Kitchner posted:

After seeing a complaint about immersion breaking gamer tags I am going to race to become a pirate legend and name my ship the HMS poonsmasher69, and force pubbie to day things like "Oh no! It's the dread ship the poonsmasher69".

Does it mash multiple poons or smash a single poon?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

nothing new in it

Sure there will, I'm planning to put a dozen new holes in every lubber's ship. :yarr:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

moist turtleneck posted:

nothing new in it

To be fair, this is supposed to be a stress test and it sounds like basically they are deliberately ensuring the servers are all sorts of hosed, so there's no point adding anything new.

Good news is they said there will be a "full" beta closer to release date.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Doesn't seem like they have much content planned near launch but they will have microtransactions within 3 months. Lovely.

Dunno really, being a pirate legend with your own ship and end game voyages sounds pretty cool and that seems to be all in there for release. Also seems like to get it you need to grind three trade companies and some special NPC quests. On top of that you have the fort raids which sounds an interesting PvE and PvP mix, and the Kraken of course.

The best bit of the game has always really been the interaction with other players, all that stuff is basically just to give you an excuse to play in my opinion.

KirbyKhan posted:

Does it mash multiple poons or smash a single poon?

The infamous poonsmasher69 is dreaded on the high seas as no poon is safe when it sails nearby, single poons or multiple poons will be smashed with equal ease. 69.

tqilamknbrd
Jun 6, 2009

your circumcision honestly disgusts me
How many ships per map is this going to launch with?

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

tqilamknbrd posted:

I think that’s one of the things the stress test is going to test for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

tqilamknbrd posted:

At the moment they are basically saying they want you to encounter another ship every 30 minutes or so. The most I've ever physically seen is five on the map, our ship and then we ran away from four individual ships we saw on the horizon because we were full of treasure.

Realistically the biggest problem I think there is right now is two thirds of games were on sloops, either solo or duo, and it makes for a really boring map. The most fun we had was on a map where we were on a galleon and we were being chased by a galleon, and then another galleon turned up and we left them to slug it out while we left metaphorical dust tracks.